Tempered Glass Panel Replacment for Shower Door?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
msheald

Tempered Glass Panel Replacment for Shower Door?

Post by msheald »

Hello! My tempered glass shower door came off the pivot hinge (frameless pivot shower door) when the bracket broke and shattered on the floor. I called Kohler (the manufacturer) who quoted me the price of a new installation. I explained that I had all the hardware, I just need the glass door (about 30" x 72" x 1/8"). They do not supply replacement.

When I contacted a local glass company, they said that they do not do shower doors. I was not sure what the difficulty was since (I presume) it is an ordinary tempered glass panel.

Have folks found a way to replace a broken shower door? Best regards.

Mike
dbr

Re: Tempered Glass Panel Replacment for Shower Door?

Post by dbr »

msheald wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:49 am Hello! My tempered glass shower door came off the pivot hinge (frameless pivot shower door) when the bracket broke and shattered on the floor. I called Kohler (the manufacturer) who quoted me the price of a new installation. I explained that I had all the hardware, I just need the glass door (about 30" x 72" x 1/8"). They do not supply replacement.

When I contacted a local glass company, they said that they do not do shower doors. I was not sure what the difficulty was since (I presume) it is an ordinary tempered glass panel.

Have folks found a way to replace a broken shower door? Best regards.

Mike
A local glass company near me does do shower glass and in fact supplied and installed the glass door on our shower. Maybe some shopping around will find a local company that works.
z91

Post by z91 »

Keep calling. Shower door places worth their weight should be able to fabricate something.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

How is the glass attached to the hardware?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

You should be able to find a local company that does this. The people who did ours specialized in glass shower enclosures.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Call various bath/kitchen supply houses and see if they can get what you need or have it made.

Call various glass companies.

Shop online, have it shipped to you.

Replace the entire shower enclosure system that includes the door.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

When mine broke a couple years ago none of the local bathroom shops would touch it because they didn't do the original installation (we don't know who did). The glass shops didn't seem interested in the job, and some of the hardware was a bit mangled from the fall.

I ended up just installing a new glass door set myself which, honestly, wasn't that hard. It did seem unnecessary, though.