[Computer monitor for photo editing, some gaming]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

[Computer monitor for photo editing, some gaming]

Post by LadyGeek »

[Moved into a new thread from: PC Build Thread - 2020... and beyond!!! --admin LadyGeek]

To explain, I have two old LG 27EA83-D 27' moniitors'. One of them recently failed with a green tint suddenly appearing on the left-side of the display. Since they were both purchased at the same time, the one I'm using now is on borrowed time. It's time for a replacement and I'm looking for suggestions.

I use them primarily for editing photos, but will occasionally use them for gaming. I'm very critical on photo quality and am looking for recommendations.

The discussion below is from my attempt to purchase a graphics card - which are in short supply and the market prices are reflecting the shortage. I'll discuss the GPU cards in the PC build thread.

===============================

As noted somewhere in this thread, we want to stay here so we can see how things evolve over time.
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:39 pm I'm now looking for two new monitors. Both of my 30" LG monitors were purchased at the same time, so the one I'm using now is also on borrowed time.
One of the Newegg shuffle combos was for an ASUS RTX 3060 Ti and monitor. It wasn't the monitor I wanted, but it ranked fairly well in the reviews and I could use the card. I didn't get selected. Thinking harder, if I don't want the monitor, I shouldn't get the combo deal.

I then decided to get the monitor I wanted. For laser-focused reviews and specs, I went to The 7 Best Computer Monitors - Summer 2021: Reviews - RTINGS.com.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the tabular listings. It's quite good, as you can filter for exactly what you want. Just select "Customize table" and click away. I was after an IPS panel, 27" diameter, 3840x2160 monitor. I ended up with the Dell S2721QS.

I got the monitors on Newegg. One priced at $398.00, the other at $429.00. The pricing is due to only one being available at the time. The next day, it showed up again from the same vendor at $429.00. It's still cheaper than Amazon. The monitors are arriving today.

As for the Newegg shuffle, I've been trying for every RTX 3060 Ti card that showed up for the past week or so. They're cycling between Everex, Gigabyte, and Asus cards. I haven't been selected yet, but will keep trying. I'm not sure how much longer I'll hold out before buying a card in-stock at the inflated price. Today's deals are for combos only, which I'm skipping.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tortoise84

Re: PC Build Thread - 2020... and beyond!!!

Post by tortoise84 »

I got my 5600X and 3060 on my first try for each in the Newegg Shuffle in Jan-Feb 2021, probably because not many people knew about it back then. But after those, I entered almost every day for 6 months and didn't win anything until my 3080 Ti in August, so don't hold your breath.

I recently bought a 27" Gigabyte G27Q 1440p 144Hz monitor for $260 and it's pretty good for gaming with low motion blur. Also got a dual monitor arm for $18. I find that most monitors these days have quite wide color gamut coverage that far exceeds the standard sRGB gamut, so if you care about color, you should calibrate your monitor or at least install some sort of ICC color management profile. Otherwise, colors will be very oversaturated.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks for making me feel better. I might give the shuffle another week or so before deciding to buy a GPU at the market price.

I fired up my Dell monitors. There were no blank pixels, but both monitors have vignetting on the left and right edges. Ugh. I turned down the contrast and brightness and it improved.

Further research shows a design problem common to IPS panels (what I have). A google search came up with: What Is Monitor Vignetting And Can You Fix It?

The nice part about having more two monitors is that you can check if you got a bad monitor. No, both monitors have similar vignetting. Now I see why you need to pay $$$ to have a good quality display. I think I can get the brightness and contrast adjusted to minimize the effect.

I'll see how it goes, but I'll do what I can to keep these displays. The other aspects of picture quality are much better over what I had before. I'm also at 3840 x 2160 (UHD) resolution.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 pm Thanks for making me feel better. I might give the shuffle another week or so before deciding to buy a GPU at the market price.
It all depends on the relative pricing for particular models, but if you end up buying at the market prices, I've seen the 3070 for as low as $1,100 and the 3060Ti for over $1,000. The 70 series might actually end up being the better value.

I bought a second Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD a few weeks ago when I saw the price drop to $250. That review is almost two years old now, and it's since been surpassed by some of newer monitors, but my OCD wouldn't let me have mismatched monitors on my desk. I still haven't drilled into my desk to install a Vesa arm, though; that will have to be a weekend project.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Both of my monitors will be returned to Newegg tomorrow. After looking at this for a day, I couldn't stomach keeping them any longer. This is why I make sure that (1) I have a US warranty and (2) the seller has a good return policy. Also, I keep every scrap of packing and documentation - just in case the item needs to be returned.

It was easy to get an RMA and I'm well within the 30-day "no questions asked" refund window. The return will cost me shipping and a 15% restocking fee, but it's either that or live with something that I don't want and annoys me.

I also suspect that the gamma was way off and there's excessive color shift (gray has a green tint). The monitor's color gamut was not that great, but this was not acceptable.

I'm back on my 30" LG monitor at 2560 x 1440 resolution. This old monitor looks much better than what I'm returning.

One interesting thing about this misadventure is that I became aware of display scaling. When you switch resolutions, such as (2560 x 1440) to (3840 x 216) in MS Windows, the windows look the same - but the resolution is higher. Windows resizes the text and icons for you.

Settings --> Display --> Scale and layout

You can change this manually, but it's best to let MS Windows handle it.

My Linux display manager didn't support display scaling. When I changed to the higher resolution, everything got smaller. I traced the problem to the Cinnamon display manager - my version of Linux doesn't support the latest. I'll switch to another desktop (Mate or Xfce) to get the support.
Independent George wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 pm ...my OCD wouldn't let me have mismatched monitors on my desk.
Likewise, I'll be getting two monitors. I don't want a mismatch.
j9j

Post by j9j »

-Ladygeek, check out the u2720q 27inch 4k monitors. A bit pricier but the Ultrasharp line of monitors are top notch for productivity. I used a 30Inch 2560x1600 resolution for ten years before making the switch to combination of 27 inch 4k and 34 inch ultra wide.

Also order from Dell directly when they have a sale, as they have free returns and no restocking fees.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Update: Dell is showing delivery for December 21, 2021, but it's cheaper than Amazon.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

Check out RTINGS for their gray uniformity results here: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/pi ... uniformity
The Dell S2721QS is in the group slightly below average.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I saw that, but it was ranked fairly well. Judging by gray uniformity is just one aspect. I'll have to think about which performance metrics matter most. Right now, I'm after image quality - not gaming.

Update: Don't forget that you can click on "Customize table" to filter the selection.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Re: [Computer monitor for photo editing, some gaming]

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I haven't shopped for new monitors in recent years but would definitely be using the previously mentioned https://www.rtings.com/monitor to guide any decision.

I don't spend a significant amount of time and effort to calibrate or evaluate newly purchased monitors as I'm generally not that picky when it comes to some of the details being discussed above.

For many years my go to monitor was the one or more Dell U2412Ms. They continue to perform well for general 'productivity' and photography (Lightroom) work.

A couple of years ago I snagged a Dell U4919DW monitor at a charity auction at below market value. It replaced my dual U2412M setup. Having a single monitor rather than two has clear advantages (i.e. no bezel's in the middle of the display) but isn't necessarily a low cost solution and is a little less flexible on physical desktop real estate.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Yarlonkol12

Post by Yarlonkol12 »

I upgraded last year from 2x 30” IPS 60hz 1440p Dell Ultrasharp displays, to a single 43” 16:9 60hz 4k Dell Ultrasharp (U4320Q), I use the display for both MacOS and Windows (1 at a time), I have all usb peripherals on a seperate USB switcher, but use the built in input switcher on the monitor when selecting a different computer

I use the monitor primarily for work (Software Development), but I also use it for gaming, font is incredibly sharp and makes reading easy. Given that it’s IPS, the refresh is only 60hz but that’s good enough for me
My posts are for entertainment purposes only.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I used to use a ~30 inch Dell IPS monitor which I was very happy with for photo editing. The wide viewing angle was great too. It lasted around 5 years.

Since 2017 I have used a Sony Bravia 65 inch 4K TV connected to my computer through HDMI. It has worked well and I have no complaints. I did have to upgrade my graphics card to an NVIDIA 1070 to take full advantage of it at max resolution. The TV cost me $1300 at the time I bought it. I like that I can use it from quite a distance away since I often am not sitting in an office chair while using the computer. It handles games and photos great. The only drawback is high power usage.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 pm [Moved into a new thread from: PC Build Thread - 2020... and beyond!!! --admin LadyGeek]

To explain, I have two old LG 27EA83-D 27' moniitors'. One of them recently failed with a green tint suddenly appearing on the left-side of the display. Since they were both purchased at the same time, the one I'm using now is on borrowed time. It's time for a replacement and I'm looking for suggestions.

I use them primarily for editing photos, but will occasionally use them for gaming. I'm very critical on photo quality and am looking for recommendations.

The discussion below is from my attempt to purchase a graphics card - which are in short supply and the market prices are reflecting the shortage. I'll discuss the GPU cards in the PC build thread.

===============================

As noted somewhere in this thread, we want to stay here so we can see how things evolve over time.
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:39 pm I'm now looking for two new monitors. Both of my 30" LG monitors were purchased at the same time, so the one I'm using now is also on borrowed time.
One of the Newegg shuffle combos was for an ASUS RTX 3060 Ti and monitor. It wasn't the monitor I wanted, but it ranked fairly well in the reviews and I could use the card. I didn't get selected. Thinking harder, if I don't want the monitor, I shouldn't get the combo deal.

I then decided to get the monitor I wanted. For laser-focused reviews and specs, I went to The 7 Best Computer Monitors - Summer 2021: Reviews - RTINGS.com.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the tabular listings. It's quite good, as you can filter for exactly what you want. Just select "Customize table" and click away. I was after an IPS panel, 27" diameter, 3840x2160 monitor. I ended up with the Dell S2721QS.

I got the monitors on Newegg. One priced at $398.00, the other at $429.00. The pricing is due to only one being available at the time. The next day, it showed up again from the same vendor at $429.00. It's still cheaper than Amazon. The monitors are arriving today.

As for the Newegg shuffle, I've been trying for every RTX 3060 Ti card that showed up for the past week or so. They're cycling between Everex, Gigabyte, and Asus cards. I haven't been selected yet, but will keep trying. I'm not sure how much longer I'll hold out before buying a card in-stock at the inflated price. Today's deals are for combos only, which I'm skipping.
As you are critical of photo image quality: (input based on photo imaging quality and editing, realistic)
. . . and mention "photo editing".

1. monitors for photo viewing and editing are not the same as monitors for gaming. The object is "neutral" and realistic colors and tones, etc, vs enhanced (makes everything look better).

2. ASUS Photo Art series or LG' (for photography) series or equiv. (read reviews at Adorama and other photo equipment sites.)

3. Computer video card targeted for photography and photo/video editing:
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. / Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super. / etc.

4. Maximum RAM memory.

The goal is to display the photo image near exactly as it was shot by a camera or video without enhancement by computer, monitor, or graphics card (most automatically do this, much like music stereo systems automatically enhance vs play what's recorded... or modern cameras on "auto mode" or jpeg mode that enhances an image taken vs neutral mode.

5. The other step not inclusive of hardware is software: IE: Photoshop full version, Capture One, etc.

dis laimer: much depends on your budget and goals.

I hope this is helpful.
j :D
dislaimer: zillions of options and opinonions on zillions of things, this is only one.
disregard if this info is belated and you have already purchased what you need.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

LG has a very nice monitor you might to check out
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32ep9 ... ed-monitor
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a tough decision. I'm reading all the replies and am still looking. So far -

- I'm sticking with 27", the largest that will fit on my desk.
- I'll be purchasing two monitors. One for what I'm using now and one for my future PC build. I'll use the second monitor for my laptop until the new PC build is ready (won't be for a while).

- The Dell Ultrasharp series is in contention, along with the higher-end Asus.

Sandtrap - Hitting the photography / photo equipment sites is a good idea, thanks. My future PC build's GPU will be an NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (pending pricing and availability).

Bogle7 - That 32" LG is indeed a nice monitor, but it's too large and double what I paid for the 65" LG OLED TV I'm using for my high-def home theater. I'll also take a look at what LG has available. (My current monitor is LG.)
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://www.costco.com/lg-32%22-class-u ... 82248.html

LadyGeek,

How about this LG 32" monitor from Costco? Good return policy.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, but 32" is too large for my desktop (noted earlier). I am looking at LG, though.
csmath

Post by csmath »

I'm always curious what people mean when they say "gaming". I mean, there is gaming... and then there is high pace, hardcore, die once and your done, milliseconds matter, lower the graphics settings, gaming. Personally, when I think of buying a monitor for gaming, I think of the later. Otherwise what you're really looking for is just best picture + some dimension metrics.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:57 pm Thanks, but 32" is too large for my desktop (noted earlier). I am looking at LG, though.
1) FYI. Starting at 9/23, this 32" monitor is discounted to $499.99 from Costco.com. I probably buy one for myself.

2) It still may not work for you. I have a big sit/stand desk. So, this is not a problem for me.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I don’t know that much about it, but have seen software and hardware to adjust a monitor to achieve better color results for photo editing.
The hardware solutions are relatively expensive, $179 and up. Don’t know if you are exacting enough to make that worthwhile. There are free ways to do calibration, but hardware solutions are supposedly the way to go.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buyi ... alibrators
Last edited by mhalley on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good point. All monitors can certainly benefit from calibration (when done correctly), but it's important to have a good quality baseline to start from.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

The hardware unboxed YouTube channel reviews monitors from the viewpoint of gaming primarily (motion blur, response times, color gamut, etc). If you have a few monitors you are interested in, it may be worthwhile to see if they've reviewed any of your selections to see how they perform relative to similar models.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

For accurate colors in photo editing you really have to get a color calibration device. I have an i1Display Pro, but it looks like it has now been superseded by the Calibrite ColorChecker Display/Pro/Plus. Most monitors these days cover a wider color gamut than sRGB, so without an ICC color calibration profile, color managed programs like Photoshop, etc can't remap colors to the monitor's wide gamut and colors will appear way oversaturated. Note that programs that are not color managed including the Windows desktop and Microsoft Office will appear oversaturated anyway, even with an ICC profile because they don't use it.
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:57 pm Thanks, but 32" is too large for my desktop (noted earlier). I am looking at LG, though.
LG 27" UN880 4k ergo?
I enjoy this monitor and it's my daily driver. It's good for productivity and image work (I don't "photo edit", but do a lot of medical image analysis). I love the ergo arm stand.

This is not a "gaming" monitor (5 ms, 60 hz) but should be just fine for light/occasional games. If you need a frame rate (1 ms, +144 hz), it's probably best to get two separate monitors.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bummer. That's exactly the monitor I'm looking for. Unfortunately, neither of the desks where I use my computers can work with the VESA desktop clamp, i.e. the "Ergo stand".

The mounting plate is compatible with the 100 mm x 100 mm VESA standard, so it's possible that the stands used for my current LG monitors might fit. I'm looking closely, but I don't have a good drawing which shows the dimensions of the mounting area in the back of the 27UN880-B monitor.

The holes will certainly line up. I'm worried about the opening itself fitting against the plate of my current monitor stand.

Update: The LG website has a video showing how easy it is mount the monitor on the stand. LG 27'' UltraFine UHD IPS USB-C HDR Monitor with Ergo Stand (27UN880-B) | LG USA, then scroll down to the video "One Click Mount". The very start of the video shows two mounting tabs on the top-side of the plate. That's similar to my current LG monitor, but I need to look at this closer. There's a second set of tabs on the backside of the mounting plate that I need to look at. (Might not fit.)
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

After looking at this for a while, I couldn't find anything better than the monitor recommended by DVMResident. On a long shot, I figured that there must be a way to adapt to a standard VESA mount and googled "vesa adapter desktop". Jackpot!

After further refining my search, I found a desktop stand designed for VESA mounting at Newegg: Swivel Universal Single Monitor Stand for $17.99. The LG uses a 100 mm X 100 mm mount and the monitor manual says it meets the VESA standard.

Next, a price comparison for the LG 27UN880-B:

Amazon: 510.96 (only used available, skip it)
Newegg: 596.99
B&H Photo: 572.20 <--- ordered from here

I ordered 2 stands and 2 monitors. B&H Photo is working on a holiday schedule and won't ship the monitors until late next week. That's OK, because the stands won't arrive until next week, either.

BTW, I received the refund from my prior monitor purchase. Since I purchased from PayPal, the refund went to my PayPal account. This was the first time I received a refund in PayPal and didn't know how it would be handled. PayPal automatically transferred the money back to the credit card that was attached to the purchase. (Less a 15% restocking fee and shipping cost.)
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:23 pm After looking at this for a while, I couldn't find anything better than the monitor recommended by DVMResident. On a long shot, I figured that there must be a way to adapt to a standard VESA mount and googled "vesa adapter desktop". Jackpot!

After further refining my search, I found a desktop stand designed for VESA mounting at Newegg: Swivel Universal Single Monitor Stand for $17.99. The LG uses a 100 mm X 100 mm mount and the monitor manual says it meets the VESA standard.
LadyGeek,

Do you have a sit/stand desk and you may to adjust your monitor's height regularly when you sit or stand? If yes, you may want to check how easy to adjust the height of the mount.

KlangFool
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

KlangFool,

That's an interesting point, but I do not use a sit/stand desk. I will adjust the monitor's height for what I need and then leave it in that position.

LadyGeek

======================
Separately, I should mention that I purchased my monitors from B&H Photo because they are an authorized dealer for LG products. LG Authorized Dealers

Amazon is listed, but you need to be careful when purchasing from 3rd party sellers.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 pm KlangFool,

That's an interesting point, but I do not use a sit/stand desk. I will adjust the monitor's height for what I need and then leave it in that position.

LadyGeek

======================
Separately, I should mention that I purchased my monitors from B&H Photo because they are an authorized dealer for LG products. LG Authorized Dealers

Amazon is listed, but you need to be careful when purchasing from 3rd party sellers.
https://www.costco.com/lg-32%22-class-u ... 82248.html

LadyGeek,

1) I just bought the 32" version from Costco for $499.99

2) Now, I am totally confused. Why are you buying a monitor stand when the 27" monitor comes with a very good monitor mount?

KlangFool
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Read the owner's manual and look for the section which describes how to attach the mount to your desk. The mount is a clamp that requires the desk / table to have more than 95 mm (3.7 inches) of overhang to accommodate the clamp.

My desk cannot properly support the clamp.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 pm Read the owner's manual and look for the section which describes how to attach the mount to your desk. The mount is a clamp that requires the desk / table to have more than 95 mm (3.7 inches) of overhang to accommodate the clamp.

My desk cannot properly support the clamp.
LadyGeek,

But, unless you have that problems on both sides of your table, you could install the clamp at either the back or the side of the table.

KlangFool
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have that problem on all four sides of my desk. It's an old desk. I'm purchasing two monitors and neither desk can accommodate the clamp.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:44 pm I have that problem on all four sides of my desk. It's an old desk. I'm purchasing two monitors and neither desk can accommodate the clamp.
Okay. What a shame!

KlangFool
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:44 pm I have that problem on all four sides of my desk. It's an old desk. I'm purchasing two monitors and neither desk can accommodate the clamp.
Maybe you need to be considering a desk upgrade to accommodate modern technology better. It does seem you are being forced into monitor compromises that could be eliminated by a different desk choice.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good suggestion, but not in this situation. The adapter stand is much less expensive than a purchasing a new desk simply because the top extends over the sides by 95 mm.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

I noticed this article in my Flipboard feeds and thought it might offer some insight ...

The Best Monitors for Photography and Photo Editing in 2021 | PetaPixel.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My stands arrived late last week and my LG 27UN880-B monitors arrived yesterday. It was straight-forward to assemble the stands and mount the monitors. After adjusting the monitor height on the stand, I fired up the new monitor on my desktop PC. Wow.

It's similar to my old LG monitor, but at 3840 x 2160 native resolution. On the downside, I do see some image dimming at the left and right sides, but it's not objectionable. The colors are excellent.

I found a website that has test patterns and provides basic guidance, LCD monitor test images. I adjusted brightness, contrast, and gamma to those patterns. Yes, I recognize this is nowhere near what I would call a full "calibration". However, it's a good place to start. The test patterns looked good to me. Not perfect, but good.

In addition to photo editing, one of my main uses for high-resolution video is generating fractals. I fired up my copy of Ultra Fractal and was instantly impressed with a Mandelbrot fractal at 3840 x 2160 resolution. Nice.

FYI - Zooming in to view a fractal looks cool, but won't help you see more detail. See: Fractal for an explanation and example of what I'm looking at.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

tortoise84 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:00 pm For accurate colors in photo editing you really have to get a color calibration device. I have an i1Display Pro, but it looks like it has now been superseded by the Calibrite ColorChecker Display/Pro/Plus. Most monitors these days cover a wider color gamut than sRGB, so without an ICC color calibration profile, color managed programs like Photoshop, etc can't remap colors to the monitor's wide gamut and colors will appear way oversaturated. Note that programs that are not color managed including the Windows desktop and Microsoft Office will appear oversaturated anyway, even with an ICC profile because they don't use it.
I have found some methods to color correct a wide gamut monitor WITHOUT using a color calibration device or ICC profile. For AMD Radeon graphics cards, there is a built in setting in the drivers. For NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards, there is a third party utility called 'novideo_srgb'. Both methods read the EDID data from the monitor so that the graphics card can color correct for the monitor's wide gamut. So it works for all applications, even non-color managed ones like the Windows desktop. Note that it should not be used with an ICC profile because then the color correction will be doubled up. You will also lose the ability to view wide gamut images e.g. DCI-P3, ProPhoto, Adobe RGB.

Here is an article explaining it:
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/taming ... emulation/