Kindle Paperwhite vs. iPad/Similar Tablets?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Kindle Paperwhite vs. iPad/Similar Tablets?

Post by Barefootgirl »

Which do you prefer for reading e-books or magazine subscriptions and why do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
jebmke

Re: Kindle Paperwhite vs. iPad/Similar Tablets?

Post by jebmke »

Kindle mostly; much lighter, not as subject to glare. I do use iPad for some non-fiction because it is a bit better with exhibits and photographs. I generally have at least two books going at once -- a non-fiction on my iPad and fiction on my Kindle.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

For books - Kindle, hands down. Less eye strain, and works well outside where an iPad / tablet would not be readable. Also they are less expensive than tablets, so you can take more risks with them than you would normally do with a tablet - ie read in a bathtub, or bringing it to a beach with the heat / sand, etc.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Can the Kindle be used in a dark room without turning on a light?
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

I read magazines from the library on my iPad. I don’t think the Kindle is an option for most of them, but in any event the color screen and better graphics of the iPad wins hands down over the Paperwhite.

I use my Paperwhite for novels and some non-fiction. It’s my go to for reading in bed at night. No need for a night light.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:23 am Can the Kindle be used in a dark room without turning on a light?
Yes, absolutely. My old Kindle Paperwhite 5th gen has a backlight.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

For reading books, hands down, either a paper book or a Kindle eReader.

Smaller, easier on the eyes, etc.

For magazines and newspapers, as others have mentioned, it is color tablet time,
Shambolic37

Post by Shambolic37 »

I own both, but now my Kindle stays in a desk drawer, unused and uncharged. The advantages of the Kindle are as above - lighter, cheaper so you're not worried about damaging it as much. It does work in a dark room. In direct sunlight I've found iPad better.
The advantage of the iPad for me is that it is easier to use, the display is better (crisper, sharper), and it is better for everything else you do. If you want to read, then browse the web, or answer emails, or watch videos, etc., iPad is better hands down. If there is anything in color or with pictures, iPad is better. When I travel, I have to either take both, or just take the iPad, so I just take the iPad.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

My "pile" I move around with me has:

1. Kindle Paperwhite
2. iPad
3. 1 or 2 or 3 real books

I'm always reading a book on my Kindle and 1 or 2 book books. I get books given to me or find them at a thrift store or garage sale. Love real books still.

The Paperwhite is light, back lit, works perfect. Battery lasts a long time.

The iPad is for YouTube, surfing. Definitely better for color magazines. But, not as light, not good for reading books compared to the Paperwhite.

A different "hammer" for each tool job. :D
Point

Post by Point »

Recently bought a paper white. Hadn't bought kindle since rev 1. All the reasons above - easy on the eyes, light, battery life, etc.

Biggest benefit: when I pick it up its because I want to read, not be distracted by my iPhone or iPad and all the messages or looking for the latest email. Makes it easier to sleep at night too. Read, sleep. Not read, check one more thing.... hours later, sleep.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

There is no comparison. For the purpose of reading, the e-Ink techology Kindles are far better. If I'd fully realized how much better, I'd have bought an e-Ink Kindle instead of thinking that I was saving money by settling for the Kindle app on my Samsung tablet. If you read eBooks, no matter what other devices you already own, buy an e-Ink technology Kindle. (I think the e-Ink is exclusive to Amazon?)

I owned two actual Amazon Kindle brand tablets--small and big; then I used the rather nice $600 basic-iPad-sized Samsung tablet on which I'm writing this, with the Kindle app. And then I bought a Kindle Oasis. High-end model, what sold me was the adjustable color temperature of the backlight, and being waterproof. And of course we haven't gone camping since I bought it. My wife has a Kindle she bought a number of years ago, not Paperwhite--I think it was on sale because the Paperwhite had just been introduced--and it's just fine. I like my Oasis but I could live happily with hers.

The reading experience on an e-Ink techology Kindle is much better than on any general purpose tablet or laptop, no matter how dense the pixel count or how delicious the colors and the deep blacks.

It's a little hard to identify why, but it is so.

Try any e-Ink techology Kindle for a day and you'll see. The e-Ink screen just visually looks like paper. I've enjoyed reading books, many books, long books on traditional tablets but the e-Ink Kindle is more immersive, more "ludic" (pleasurable), and although I've never tried to test it I'm sure I retain more.

Although I would say Amazon exaggerates the battery life it is still far, far better than any tablet, and it charges very quickly. Even with heavy use you can go three or four days without a charge, whereas the Kindle Fires needed a daily charge--and on long plane or train trips I've actually run out. Also, if you carry a "power bank" with you to recharge a phone or tablet, you can fully recharge a Kindle from a power bank and you'll barely notice it--there's still enough left to charge the thing you bought the power bank for.

It's also noticeable that from time to time you are outdoors, or in some sunlit place like a porch, and a traditional tablet just isn't quite brght enough--whereas an e-Ink device, of course, is beautifully legible even in direct sunlight.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
dbr

Post by dbr »

iPADs are too heavy hence useless as readers. If I don't use the Kindle the next choice would be the Kindle App on my desk top with a good size monitor.

All smart phones are also too large and heavy and can't be carried except in a backpack or shoulder bag.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:23 am Can the Kindle be used in a dark room without turning on a light?
If it has a "frontlight"--technically it's called a frontlight rather than a backlight--you can. Most of the newer models have a frontlight. My Kindle has brightness settings from 0 to 24 and I just keep it set at 15 all the time, it's a little nicer in subdued room light. It's like being able to read under a reading lamps instead of the room illumination.

But even without the light, it's just like paper. If there's enough light to read a newspaper, there's enough light to read a Kindle without frontlight.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
BamaGuy22

Post by BamaGuy22 »

PaperWhite all they way for reading books and magazines. Lighter, way better battery life, less expensive, e-ink is much clearer and able to be read in sunlight. iPad is a great all purpose device, but specifically for reading the kindle is better in every way.
onourway

Post by onourway »

A Kindle is a better pure reader than an iPad, however, owning both, the Kindle hasn't come out of the drawer in years because it's just another thing to keep track of and keep charged, and the iPad is so much easier to use. Most of my e-books come from the library, and on the iPad I can use the Libby app and browse, read samples, and borrow books all in one app on one device. To do the same on the Kindle, I have to browse the library on a different device, be re-directed to Amazon to get it to my Kindle, then send it from Amazon to the Kindle. It works, but it's enough friction that I rarely bother.

The one place where the iPad doesn't work well is the beach; a Kindle is definitely the right choice if you are a big beach reader.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Paperwhite is great on the eyes and there is no sun glare
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Kindle for most books, although I don't have the issues reported by some re the blue light from the iPad and resolution issues. For me the color content of magazines needs a tablet instead of a Kindle.

A potential BBB (Boglehead best buy) for both might be the Amazon Fire tablet. It has the color screen for magazines and with the backlight turned down and the screen adjusted for sepia tone it makes a very good book reader.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Not arguing, but my first two Kindles were Kindle Fires--seemingly best-of-both-worlds Android-tablet-and-Kindle reader. I found the Kindle Fires to be a major pain because they aren't standard Android--maybe there isn't such a thing but Amazon's version is quite far from standard. Notably, you cannot use the Google Play store, you need to use Amazon's own Appstore. But there is simple evidence that the Android platform itself is off center, because even when I was able to get an app from the Amazon app store, it was painfully evidence that many developers just put them into the Amazon app store without testing them on a Kindle Fire, and a lot of them didn't work properly.

So be aware that the Kindle Fire was subpar as a Kindle eBook reader, and subpar as an Android tablet.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Another vote for kindle for reading. Lighter, longer battery life, easier on the eyes.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:54 am(I think the e-Ink is exclusive to Amazon?)
Amazon isn't the only one. Barnes and Noble still sells e-ink Nooks (as well as color LCD tablets), Kobo makes some with larger screens, and there's some other vendors too. Personally, I recently got a Paperwhite, but I prefer my much older model with page turn buttons, no touch screen, and (unfortunately) no lighting. The refresh on the new one is a ton better, and the flat front (rather than an inset screen) is nice, but there's something about the screen that bothers me; the old ones still work, so I'm going to keep using them :D
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

With the Kindle I can sit out in the yard and read, or read in bed at night without a light on. I think now even the basic Kindle has a light.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the main virtue of the Kindle, that it doesn't have a good web browser (there is what they call an experimental web browser, which really hardly works with modern sites). For someone like myself who can easily go down a random internet rabbit hole, that's a big plus.

For magazines or books with photos and other illustrations, definitely a tablet shows these better than the Kindle.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’m a huge iPad fan, and we have several in the house.

But for books, Kindle is absolutely the way to go. My wife loves her so much. It is compact. It is light weight. She can fit 15,000 books in her purse. It doesn’t need to be charged up that often. Oh, and it’s pretty darn inexpensive.

For me the charging is big. But the biggest thing is, I just can’t comfortably hold an iPad in bed and read for a few hours. I can do that with a Kindle though.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Kindle is better for black and white reading, hands down.

If you just want one, an iPad can do everything a Kindle can. A Kindle cannot do most of what an iPad can. For that reason, I have an iPad mini which I use frequently to read, but I'm not spending hours a day doing so either.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:07 pm Not arguing, but my first two Kindles were Kindle Fires--seemingly best-of-both-worlds Android-tablet-and-Kindle reader. I found the Kindle Fires to be a major pain because they aren't standard Android--maybe there isn't such a thing but Amazon's version is quite far from standard. Notably, you cannot use the Google Play store, you need to use Amazon's own Appstore. But there is simple evidence that the Android platform itself is off center, because even when I was able to get an app from the Amazon app store, it was painfully evidence that many developers just put them into the Amazon app store without testing them on a Kindle Fire, and a lot of them didn't work properly.

So be aware that the Kindle Fire was subpar as a Kindle eBook reader, and subpar as an Android tablet.
The Fire is not a Kindle at all, but a cheap iPad alternative. Completely different products. That said, I was not a fan of Amazon’s Android either, when I had a Fire tablet.

As to the topic at hand, like others I love the Kindle Paperwhite for reading books. Someone else mentioned the lack of iPad distractions, and that makes sense now that I think about it. But for magazines, like under my subscription to Apple News, it’s the iPad all the way.

One thing I love about the Kindle app on the iPad is how integrates with Audible. If you have both an e-book and an audiobook, you can move between them seamlessly.
beyou

Post by beyou »

For those saying ipad is too big, never read large paper books ? I have read books much heavier and bulkier than an ipad.

I don’t want to carry around multiple devices. I sometimes have same app on iphone and ipad, so I can read on both, whichever I have handy. But I don’t want a 3rd device.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

My vote: Kindle for comfortably reading books, some of which I buy, some I borrow from the library. It's so lightweight, and stays charged for a long time. (I don't have the latest version, but I DID pay extra to avoid ads--and happy I did so.)

That said, I read the entire Talmud in English over a 7 1/2 year period on my iPhone 7+, and survived. And...my wife reads ebooks on her iPad mini all the day long and never complains.

But I say reading on a Kindle is best for me; I actually prefer it to reading an actual book (Heresy! I hear someone crying) because I can adjust the size of the print as well as the light & contrast.

ymmv, but the Kindle is relatively inexpensive. If I need to look at internet stuff, Facebook, email, Bogleheads.org, and ads, I have my iPhone and my MacBook.

(Did I mention how lightweight the Kindle is?)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

Kindle Paperwhite! Waaaay easier on the eyes.
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
mancich

Post by mancich »

Kindle if I'm at the beach, otherwise I use my iPad
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Barefootgirl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:50 am Which do you prefer for reading e-books or magazine subscriptions and why do you prefer one over the other?
I enjoy my Kindle Keyboard.
Easy on the eyes, and works well outside and at the beach.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:07 pm Not arguing, but my first two Kindles were Kindle Fires--seemingly best-of-both-worlds Android-tablet-and-Kindle reader. I found the Kindle Fires to be a major pain because they aren't standard Android--maybe there isn't such a thing but Amazon's version is quite far from standard. Notably, you cannot use the Google Play store, you need to use Amazon's own Appstore. But there is simple evidence that the Android platform itself is off center, because even when I was able to get an app from the Amazon app store, it was painfully evidence that many developers just put them into the Amazon app store without testing them on a Kindle Fire, and a lot of them didn't work properly.

I concur with much of this, and I don't (didn't) advocate the Fire as a viable iPad replacement. I think the iPad as an overall use tablet device is much superior to the Fire.

However, the latest iteration of the Fire 8" has worked flawlessly for reading books that are from both Amazon and the public library, and it's been fine for me for basic www activities -- and it is way less money than an iPad.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Barefootgirl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:50 am Which do you prefer for reading e-books or magazine subscriptions and why do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks
For pure reading. . .

Kindle Oasis.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
System1

Post by System1 »

Point wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:28 am Recently bought a paper white. Hadn't bought kindle since rev 1. All the reasons above - easy on the eyes, light, battery life, etc.

Biggest benefit: when I pick it up its because I want to read, not be distracted by my iPhone or iPad and all the messages or looking for the latest email. Makes it easier to sleep at night too. Read, sleep. Not read, check one more thing.... hours later, sleep.
I agree with this, staying focused is hard enough. For reading I use my phone or Kindle, I don't have a tablet/iPad. I have borrowed my daughters iPad for color books with pictures. I really liked the Nook glow light, the physical page turning buttons on the bezel were great, but it eventually was sat on and I replaced it with a Kindle due to ease of finding books. I use Libby to borrow ebooks from my library and I don't think that works with Nook, or it didn't when I bought my Kindle. I enjoy highlighting text and emailing my notes for reference later, all right from the Kindle.
brennok

Post by brennok »

I have a Kindle I only use as a backup when my iPad runs out of battery or I am traveling. The majority of my reading is done on the iPad and I average around 250 books a year. I find the Kindle way too slow and sluggish. I also use Kindle Unlimited and browsing Amazon is also painful on the Kindle.

If it was a lot faster I would probably use it more, but at this point it is slower than even my old cell phones collecting dust.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

Thanks

For reading indoors during the day (not under glaringly bright lights and not next to a window), I don't really have any preference between reading on my Kindle Paperwhite or on my smartphone (or a tablet like an iPad.)

For reading in bed at night before bed, I prefer my smartphone, because the Paperwhite does not have any warm-light option, and my smartphone does. The Paperwhite's light is too blue-whitish and makes it hard for me to go to to sleep. So for reading in bed, I want my phone.

For reading in bright light, like next to a window, in a car during the day or outside (including reading by the side of a pool or at the beach), the Paperwhite is *vastly* superior--you can read without glare or reflection. For reading at the beach, for me the Paperwhite is 100x better than a phone or tablet.

For reading anything that has a lot of photos, graphics, or pictures (especially color ones), a smartphone (or other regular tablet such as an iPad) is *vastly* superior than a Paperwhite. The Paperwhite does not support color.

For the pure reading experience, you can't beat the Paperwhite. It's a reading machine, and also the closest experience you will have on electronics to reading a physical paper book. It does not have the distractions that a smartphone or a tablet does.

Also, unless there are extensive graphics, between my smartphone and a tablet such as an iPad, I much prefer the phone. It's much lighter and easier to hold. iPads, even the mini, are less easy to hold.

For items with a lot of graphics (like a lot of magazine articles, and some books) a tablet is preferable. The more graphics there are the more helpful a big, color screen is.

I own and use for reading my phone, my Paperwhite, and a tablet. I use the phone the most, the Paperwhite second most, and the tablet the least. But I find all of them useful, and I find the phone and my Paperwhite indispensable. (I could do without the tablet, but don't mind owning it--it gets used the least.)

If you are just getting started with ebooks, I'd recommend just starting with your smartphone (since you almost certainly already own own). You can download and use the Kindle app for free. You can also download free or inexpensive other ereader apps.

But... I LOVE my Kindle, even if I do most of my reading on my phone... I think I'd love the Oasis even more since it has a warm light, and if I were buying a Kindle right now, that is what I would buy.

Also, for text books (no extensive pictures/graphics), I much prefer reading on my phone or Paperwhite over reading the paper book. However, if there are lots pictures, graphics, maps, etc. then the paper book is usually better for viewing those aspects.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

CardinalRule wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm

The Fire is not a Kindle at all, but a cheap iPad alternative. Completely different products. That said, I was not a fan of Amazon’s Android either, when I had a Fire tablet.

As to the topic at hand, like others I love the Kindle Paperwhite for reading books. Someone else mentioned the lack of iPad distractions, and that makes sense now that I think about it. But for magazines, like under my subscription to Apple News, it’s the iPad all the way.

One thing I love about the Kindle app on the iPad is how integrates with Audible. If you have both an e-book and an audiobook, you can move between them seamlessly.
I also tried the Amazon Fire -- got a killer deal on it on Prime Day a couple of years ago--but even though it was very inexpensive, I found it to be a poor value and do not recommend it. There was no issue with the hardware, but the OS and software was limited and very subpar. I think that either a regular android tablet (such as a Samsung tablet) or an Apple tablet is a better deal and recommend one of those instead. I recommend against the Amazon Fire tablet.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

brennok wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:13 pm I have a Kindle I only use as a backup when my iPad runs out of battery or I am traveling. The majority of my reading is done on the iPad and I average around 250 books a year. I find the Kindle way too slow and sluggish.
I'm guessing you are using a Kindle Fire, rather than a Kindle Papwerwhite?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th »

I got a 7th gen Kindle Paperwhite, after years of using the iOS Kindle app on iPad/iPhone. While the Paperwhite is lightweight with a pleasing e-ink display, I find its screen much less responsive to touch than that of i-devices. For simple undemanding reading the Paperwhite is fine, but if extensive annotation/multilingual dictionaries are involved, I much prefer the Kindle app on iPad/iPhone. The last couple of e-books I bought were Apple 'books' rather than Kindle books - trying to get a sense whether Apple ebooks are better than Kindle books (in e.g. quality of photographs). By the way from my limited recent experience it seems that Apple Books prices move in tandem with Kindle books when an ebook goes on sale (I've been keeping a wish list on ereaderiq.com).
brennok

Post by brennok »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:21 am
brennok wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:13 pm I have a Kindle I only use as a backup when my iPad runs out of battery or I am traveling. The majority of my reading is done on the iPad and I average around 250 books a year. I find the Kindle way too slow and sluggish.
I'm guessing you are using a Kindle Fire, rather than a Kindle Papwerwhite?
Nope latest Kindle Paperwhite.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

First major update in quite a while (like 3 years)?

Amazon Unveils the Next Generation Kindle Paperwhite and New Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-rele ... -and-new-0
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

SuzBanyan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:28 am I read magazines from the library on my iPad. I don’t think the Kindle is an option for most of them, but in any event the color screen and better graphics of the iPad wins hands down over the Paperwhite.

I use my Paperwhite for novels and some non-fiction. It’s my go to for reading in bed at night. No need for a night light.
This is an option on the kindle fire, though. Mine is 3 yo, but I can access magazines (in color) and other publications through my local library. Not sure if they can be downloaded though, like books can. I have not tried. I do prefer paper books and find that even with the blue light filter, I have a hard time going back to sleep after using my kindle fire.

I have not tried an ipad for this, so can't compare. I have very limited experience with an ipad generally (kid was issued one from school for pandemic life, but that is the extent of my experience).
kramer

Post by kramer »

Pluto9th wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm For simple undemanding reading the Paperwhite is fine, but if extensive annotation/multilingual dictionaries are involved, I much prefer the Kindle app on iPad/iPhone.
Could you elaborate on this? I thought one could only do foreign dictionary lookup when the Kindle app was running on a Kindle and not when it is running on anything else? On my kindle, I just press the foreign language word with my finger and the English/foreign dictionary meaning pops up. I did have to purchase the electronic dictionary from Amazon.

It is one of the reasons I read foreign language books on the Kindle.

I have an ancient Kindle Paperwhite and so I will either be upgrading to the Paperwhite announced today or else I could put the money into an Ipad and skip the Paperwhite. But looking up foreign language words while reading in the Kindle app is an important feature to me.
Big Mig

Post by Big Mig »

brennok wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:13 pm …and browsing Amazon is also painful on the Kindle.
But this is a feature not a bug, right? Browse on a browser, read—and only read—on a kindle.

I pretty much live on my iPad, except to read books almost exclusively on an older paperwhite. Though I’m starting to wonder if my reading skills are poorly developed. I’m not sure how to use all this speed. Mostly I just turn the page; sometimes I adjust the brightness up or down; once a day or so I might visit my library and choose another book. Occasionally I look up a word. I’m sure I could do all this a little faster on my iPad but I don’t often feel like the kindle is slowing me down, and it’s never yet interrupted me with a notification about an unimportant email or text or lost dog on next door.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I decided to own a base kindle (the old one that is unlighted), a Paperwhite, an Oasis, and I already have an old iPAD and a newer iPAD mini, and have the Kindle app on my desktop. After I figure out which is best for what I will give one or the other of them to someone else, like my wife who does not have a Kindle just now or my BIL who could use one.

So far I find the old Kindle and the Paperwhite useful under different circumstances and also do some reading at the computer. Ironically I find the Paperwhite better for reading in the daytime without having to turn on lights for reading but do not want to read in the dark with only the reader lighted and prefer the old Kindle and turning on a reading lamp. I don't know if on an airplane I would prefer the Paperwhite or using a reading lamp. The last time I was on one of the newer planes in business class the reading light was an LED that was really obnoxious. The older style lights in the overhead, probably in economy, were/are more pleasant.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

CardinalRule wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:24 am First major update in quite a while (like 3 years)?

Amazon Unveils the Next Generation Kindle Paperwhite and New Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-rele ... -and-new-0
The Kindle PaperWhite was already providing the best bang for the buck in my opinion, and this update will only solidify this. The new features they are adding are all great and will make it even better. I think that for many, the PaperWhite Signature Edition will be the sweet spot--I know it will for me!
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:00 am

Thanks
For pure reading. . .

Kindle Oasis.

j :D
+1 on Oasis. The buttons for turning pages are a big plus over the paperwhite.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
brennok

Post by brennok »

Big Mig wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:08 pm
brennok wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:13 pm …and browsing Amazon is also painful on the Kindle.
But this is a feature not a bug, right? Browse on a browser, read—and only read—on a kindle.

I pretty much live on my iPad, except to read books almost exclusively on an older paperwhite. Though I’m starting to wonder if my reading skills are poorly developed. I’m not sure how to use all this speed. Mostly I just turn the page; sometimes I adjust the brightness up or down; once a day or so I might visit my library and choose another book. Occasionally I look up a word. I’m sure I could do all this a little faster on my iPad but I don’t often feel like the kindle is slowing me down, and it’s never yet interrupted me with a notification about an unimportant email or text or lost dog on next door.
Not when you have Kindle Unlimited like I mentioned. When I finish a KU book, I return it and look for the next book I want to read. Using the Kindle means once I finish reading the book, I set down the Kindle and then grab my iPad or phone or go to a computer. Then I return the book and look for my next title. If I don't select the Kindle to push the newly checked out title when I go back to Kindle I then have to search to find the book to read. Depending on the day I may read 2 or 3 books and I never know until I read a book if I am going to want to go to the next in the series or another book.

I also constantly have issues even with the newest Paperwhite lagging when it comes to page turns. It won't respond and then suddenly it jumps 3-4 pages.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Thanks
Kindle doesn't have the lit screen like a phone or an iPad or a computer.

It's 1000 times better.

Especially on the beach in the sun.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Which is better depends on how you use it - a Kindle Paperwhite is a unitasker, and a tablet is a multitasker. The Kindle is much, much better for reading... but that's literally all it's good for. A tablet is a handheld computer capable of all kinds of tasks, including reading apps. It won't be as good for reading (eyestrain, shiny screen, plus shorter battery life), but it's a single, extremely portable device that gives you 90% of the functionality of both a laptop and book reader. A tablet is 3-4x the cost of a kindle, but a fraction of the size and cost of a laptop.

If you plan to download & watch movies on a flight? Get a tablet. If you plan to read for hours, including outdoors by the pool? Get a Kindle. If you're going to do both? Then get either a tablet, or both.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Something else that should be mentioned. It is quite weird, actually.

The "real" e-Ink Kindle devices have a completely different user interface from that of the Kindle App. (I no longer remember but I think the Kindle Fire tablet resembles the Kindle App). And they have different sets of foreign-language dictionaries and such.

They are as different as different can be. On both, you are normally looking at a "clean" page view. On a real Kindle, you access on-screen controls and widths by tapping near the top and/or (after a recent update) sliding down from the top edge. In the Kindle App, you do it by tapping near the center of the page. That's only the start; basically nothing is the same. It's hard to say which is better. It's a case study in two different solutions to the same UI problem, both mediocre.

Fortunately 99% of the user interaction is "turn to the next page" so it doesn't matter much.
dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney »

I like both. e-ink readers are better for standard "reflowable" books (e.g. epub); full size (>9") tablets are better for PDFs and comics. Mini tablets are useless.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.