Advice on wired access points

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Erhnam

Advice on wired access points

Post by Erhnam »

I am toying with the idea of adding in-wall wired access points to my house and am curious if any of you have suggestions or guidance. I currently have Xfinity and their 1.2gbps service and I rent their modem/router combo. The router sits in a closet underneath the stairs in my house (2-story, ~2900sqft). For the most part I have decent wifi and speeds throughout the house. I do notice a few areas where I seem to lose connectivity a little...maybe switching from 5ghz to 2.4ghz?

Anyways, I am wondering if I should spend a little bit of change to add some access points to ensure I have optimal coverage everywhere. Me and DW both work from home on different floors, have TVs with streaming sticks in multiple rooms, security cameras, etc. so I would like to have comfort knowing each device is getting the most speed possible.

I have 3 ethernet wall jacks currently wired in my house that lead back to the closet under the stairs where the modem is. Two of the ethernet ports on the first floor on opposite sides of the house and the third is upstairs in the loft (kind of the middle of the 2nd floor).

I am thinking a wired access point at each ethernet port location is the way to go. So 3 access points total. I am far from a home networking expert so I cannot do anything too complicated. I own a Ruckus ICX 7150 switch that I think I will have to use if I go with access points. (Connect modem to switch, connect 3 ethernet jacks to switch, connect access points to ethernet jacks, turn off the router that comes with modem?).

Anyone have a similar setup and installed wired access points they can recommend? Some googling led me to consider these:

https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-in-wall-hd

Not sure how friendly the setup will be for a non-IT person.

Thanks in advance
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Advice on wired access points

Post by Sandtrap »

Our home is wired for Ethernet as well.
However, we’ve tried various systems and this wireless system has worked well. One unit is connected to the RV on our main floor. We have 3 floors and over 5000 sf and coverage is great, even to the garage and outside.

Net gear Orbi Tri Mesh Router System.

j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

For easy set up and great coverage, go with a mesh system!
wilked

Post by wilked »

Mesh all the way
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We have a difficult house (very thick stone walls, including one room with 3 foot stone covering everything except a narrow passageway, named The Cave). We have most rooms with Ethernet pulls, so have used Ethernet backhaul to 10 Eero mesh units (the Gateway Eero is in a concrete room with Fios Ethernet coming directly into it; no need for a modem).

I originally used Apple access points, but mesh is much better.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

As others suggested, a mesh system might be ok for your situation, it won't perform quite as well as having wired access points and you may experience performance inconsistencies, but for the average user it's fine and it's also going to be a lot easier to setup. However, depending on your homes layout a mesh system may not be ideal, you could still have deadzones with a mesh setup and you may also experience intermittent performance issues due to the wifi backhaul.

If your house is already wired for ethernet, it's worth using that wiring for the access points to get the best experience for your WiFi if your comfortable with the initial learning curve of setting up your system.

I use Ubiquiti gear as well, there is going to be a bit of a learning curve but once you get familiar with the Unifi software you will love it, at least I do. Unifi configuration requires that you have unifi controller software running on your network, this can either be on a dedicated device which they sell, run on a raspberry pi, or just run it on your desktop/laptop computer. You don't need the controller software running all the time, but it's preferable, if you don't want to setup a dedicated controller or buy one, you can just run the unifi controller software temporarily on your desktop/laptop and then login to it via your web browser whenever you want to configure your devices or update them. What is neat about Unifi is that you can manage as many devices as you want all through this software, so if you start with a few access points and then add devices later, your configuration experience is the same software and it scales to as many devices (or as few) as you want. Also, once you set it up, the gear is super reliable in my experience
This content is for entertainment purposes only
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

flyingcows wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 am As others suggested, a mesh system might be ok for your situation, it won't perform quite as well as having wired access points and you may experience performance inconsistencies, but for the average user it's fine and it's also going to be a lot easier to setup. However, depending on your homes layout a mesh system may not be ideal, you could still have deadzones with a mesh setup and you may also experience intermittent performance issues due to the wifi backhaul.
If OP has wiring, why use Wi-Fi backhaul? Mesh with Ethernet backhaul, IME, is the best of both worlds.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

+1 for mesh. I’d suggest Deco mesh. Very user friendly. Whatever you pick, when you set up, double check to make sure you are set up for wired/ethernet backhaul. Make sure the system supports that, as opposed to communicating between the mesh nodes via wireless.

It looks like your switch has 1 Gb/s so should be good.

You could save some money every month by buying your own modem. Check out the Arris Surfboard. They have a page specifically for xfinity subscribers:

https://www.surfboard.com/products/xfinity-subscribers/
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

3 or 4 unit Google Nest system. :idea:
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:29 am
flyingcows wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 am As others suggested, a mesh system might be ok for your situation, it won't perform quite as well as having wired access points and you may experience performance inconsistencies, but for the average user it's fine and it's also going to be a lot easier to setup. However, depending on your homes layout a mesh system may not be ideal, you could still have deadzones with a mesh setup and you may also experience intermittent performance issues due to the wifi backhaul.
If OP has wiring, why use Wi-Fi backhaul? Mesh with Ethernet backhaul, IME, is the best of both worlds.
Agreed 100%, I would use wired backhaul if the house is already wired, personally.

I only mentioned the wifi mesh systems as those solutions might be much easier to setup and manage for the average person. The performance of such a system won’t be ideal, but for the average user and/or house layout it might be good enough
This content is for entertainment purposes only
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

Agree with the other posters - get a mesh network. Seriously, don't waste your time on any other options.

Here's the mesh system I use: LINK

Advantages:
  • Access points can be either wired or wireless. Speeds will be faster if wired, but still pretty fast even if wireless.
  • Great for large areas. I have a 3000 ft2 house and have coverage everywhere.
  • Reliable. It just works. Have had mine for a few years, and have never had to manually reboot it or anything. This was a priority for me - pre-COVID I used to travel a lot for work, so I needed something that would not act up while I was away.
  • Network ID remains the same wherever you are in your house. I used to use separate routers wired back to the main router, but they all had separate ID's which meant you had to connect to different networks depending on where you were. What a pain, all went away when I went with the mesh network.
  • Good parental controls (if you care about that sort of thing.
  • Good admin / testing tools. Even though it is targeted to people who don't know much about networking, you can still do semi-advanced things with it if needed - ie assign static IP addresses to network users, temporarily pause network access to certain users (ie kids after bedtime, etc), assign names to different users, etc.
My setup is as follows: Cable from cable company ---> Cable Modem ---> Google WiFi unit ---> Network switch ---> other Google WiFi units wired to switch. I also have a Google WiFi unit that is wireless.

Note that I don't have the modem / router from the cable company - I like my setup and don't like the idea of paying the rental fee to Comcast. Would recommend you do the same.
Yarlonkol12

Post by Yarlonkol12 »

My vote would be for Ubiquiti Mesh with the access points connected using PoE ethernet, Unifi is a bit intimidating at first but once you get familiar with it it is super easy to manage network configuration across all devices, update devices, etc. You can also start with 1 access point and add more later, as many as you want.
My posts are for entertainment purposes only.
Topic Author
Erhnam

Post by Erhnam »

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. A wired mesh system does sound the easiest and best way to proceed.
LeftCoastIV wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:32 am +1 for mesh. I’d suggest Deco mesh. Very user friendly. Whatever you pick, when you set up, double check to make sure you are set up for wired/ethernet backhaul. Make sure the system supports that, as opposed to communicating between the mesh nodes via wireless.

It looks like your switch has 1 Gb/s so should be good.

You could save some money every month by buying your own modem. Check out the Arris Surfboard. They have a page specifically for xfinity subscribers:

https://www.surfboard.com/products/xfinity-subscribers/
Any suggestions on a specific Deco model? Seems like the X60, X20 or X5700 (on sale for $290) are the top choices. How important is tri-band vs just dual-band?

Getting my own modem is on my to do list. Just moved into this house and wanted to quickly get internet setup and working is why I rent from Xfinity.

I am assuming I can buy a modem only and then my switch+mesh system will take everything from there.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Another vote for Mesh system. My recommendation is to get a set of three Google Nest Wifi Mesh router for easy setup. From your modem, connect the Ethernet to the first Nest Wifi, then from it to the switch as uplink. The ethernet cables in the house go to the switch. The other two Nest point connect to the wall ethernet. Now your mesh wifi all have wired backhaul.

As a plus, every Wifi point also have a wired LAN port, so you don't actually lose an ethernet drop in that room. If you want more than one device to use wired in that room, you can just add a switch connected to the LAN port of the wifi point.
yogithor

Post by yogithor »

Recovering network engineer here. If you don't need to stream a whole season of The Office or a days worth of Zoom meetings through the brains of everyone in the house, then why do it? Wired rocks in terms of stability and quality. If you are going to leverage the existing cable runs in the house, just make sure they are Cat6 or higher.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Yarlonkol12 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:43 am My vote would be for Ubiquiti Mesh with the access points connected using PoE ethernet, Unifi is a bit intimidating at first but once you get familiar with it it is super easy to manage network configuration across all devices, update devices, etc. You can also start with 1 access point and add more later, as many as you want.
This is the right answer. Choice of Silicon Valley nerds everywhere.
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

Linus Tech Tips recently installed a Ruckus mesh system with PoE antennas.

It was an "unlimited budget" system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJeKZkK31JE

I have been very happy with my Orbi mesh system, but I still wire everything that I can. It's just the ultimate in speed and robustness. :beer
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

The TpLink Deco mesh system has worked well for me. I used to live in a condo where a large plumbing stock was between living room and office. The plumbing really interfered with the LR. Install a mesh system worked very well.