Need advice on new windows laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atl2005

Need advice on new windows laptop

Post by atl2005 »

I posted recently about some issues with my 6 year old Lenovo (z51-70) laptop, and instead of trouble shooting and trying to figure out these different issues I've decided to get a new laptop. I don't really know which specs(processor, memory, storage, etc.) I should be looking for in a laptop but I use mine mostly for surfing, Microsoft office files, and watching videos. I want something that's going to last and not slow down within the first couple of years. I was considering a Lenovo Thinkpad but don't which model/specs would fit my needs.

I'm hoping to get something under 1500 but will spend more if it means a machine that's going to last. The laptop I have now has the 15.6 inch screen so I would like to stay with at least a 14 inch or bigger model. I don't care for a touchscreen or 2 in 1 type model. Thanks for any advice, I just don't know enough about the specs/build of a laptop to make a purchase without some help.
tibbitts

Re: Need advice on new windows laptop

Post by tibbitts »

atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I posted recently about some issues with my 6 year old Lenovo (z51-70) laptop, and instead of trouble shooting and trying to figure out these different issues I've decided to get a new laptop. I don't really know which specs(processor, memory, storage, etc.) I should be looking for in a laptop but I use mine mostly for surfing, Microsoft office files, and watching videos. I want something that's going to last and not slow down within the first couple of years. I was considering a Lenovo Thinkpad but don't which model/specs would fit my needs.

I'm hoping to get something under 1500 but will spend more if it means a machine that's going to last. The laptop I have now has the 15.6 inch screen so I would like to stay with at least a 14 inch or bigger model. I don't care for a touchscreen or 2 in 1 type model. Thanks for any advice, I just don't know enough about the specs/build of a laptop to make a purchase without some help.
What do you consider "going to last?" My last laptop didn't last long past the 2-year warranty (including the extra year for the credit card), and was just too much trouble to repair (the manufacturer shipped me the wrong part, twice, and things went downhill from there), so I decided not to sink more money into it. The new one is a pretty standard 15in, not a touch screen (although that was an inexpensive option when ordering - I just didn't see wanting that, but maybe I was wrong.) It has a 4yr warranty so if it lasts that long I'll be satisfied. It's 16/512gb, seems good for what I want. I think the net price worked out to roughly $800. Models change frequently enough that it's often hard to know if there's going to be some weak point (hinges, etc.) on a new model until it's too late.

Moving to the new computer wasn't a big deal so I wouldn't overthink. It's not that big a financial decision unless you buy a higher-end model, which it sounds like you don't need/want.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Dell has some deals going on. I don't have one, but, for Joe Average (surfing, Office etc) spending $1500 on a laptop seems high to me.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-la ... n3511ezwgs
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:41 pm
atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I posted recently about some issues with my 6 year old Lenovo (z51-70) laptop, and instead of trouble shooting and trying to figure out these different issues I've decided to get a new laptop. I don't really know which specs(processor, memory, storage, etc.) I should be looking for in a laptop but I use mine mostly for surfing, Microsoft office files, and watching videos. I want something that's going to last and not slow down within the first couple of years. I was considering a Lenovo Thinkpad but don't which model/specs would fit my needs.

What do you consider "going to last?" My last laptop didn't last long past the 2-year warranty (including the extra year for the credit card), and was just too much trouble to repair (the manufacturer shipped me the wrong part, twice, and things went downhill from there), so I decided not to sink more money into it. The new one is a pretty standard 15in, not a touch screen (although that was an inexpensive option when ordering - I just didn't see wanting that, but maybe I was wrong.) It has a 4yr warranty so if it lasts that long I'll be satisfied. It's 16/512gb, seems good for what I want. I think the net price worked out to roughly $800. Models change frequently enough that it's often hard to know if there's going to be some weak point (hinges, etc.) on a new model until it's too late.

Moving to the new computer wasn't a big deal so I wouldn't overthink. It's not that big a financial decision unless you buy a higher-end model, which it sounds like you don't need/want.
Which model did you go with? I guess by last I mean 5-6 years without issues, this laptop has been sluggish and had some issues now for several years I had just kept on dealing with it instead of spending the money to get a new one.
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

F150HD wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 pm Dell has some deals going on. I don't have one, but, for Joe Average (surfing, Office etc) spending $1500 on a laptop seems high to me.

Yeah it's going to be a gift from a family member and that's about what I have to spend so I wanted to get the best laptop possible for that price range. I don't want a cheap 400 dollar laptop that has lower specs and won't perform quickly.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Does it make any sense to wait until after Windows 11 is released?
Watty

Post by Watty »

atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I should be looking for in a laptop but I use mine mostly for surfing, Microsoft office files, and watching videos. I want something that's going to last and not slow down within the first couple of years. I was considering a Lenovo Thinkpad but don't which model/specs would fit my needs.
Pretty much much any new laptop with 8GB of memory would be fine for that since you are not doing things like playing games.

If your current laptop does not have a SSD then even one without a real fast processor will feel real fast.

The big differences you might get by going with a more expensive business grade machine would be things like;
1) More physically durable both for physical abuse and having problems with the keyboard and touchpad.
2) A better feeling keyboard
3) A better screen, but unless you are real picky or using the laptop in bright sunlight you might have a hard time telling the difference unless they are side by side on the showroom floor since. If you were doing a lot of photo editing the screen might be more important.

A couple of months ago I bought a less expensive version of this one which had a smaller SSD, an AMD processor, and was not a touch screen, and I am happy with it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ide ... Id=6449496

This is the one I got but it is not on sale like when I got it so the other one would be a better deal since it has a larger SSD and costs less.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ide ... Id=6449503

I do not expect to use it much for travel so it not being as rugged as a business machine should be OK for me and if I need to replace it a few years sooner I can buy several of this type of laptop for the same cost as a high end business laptop.
atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I want something that's going to last and not slow down within the first couple of years.
Computers slowing down is typically a software problem that can be be fixed by reinstalling installing windows. Microsoft made that a lot easier to do a few years ago, Google "windows reset". The downside is that you will need to go through the process of setting up your PC again.

Over time new versions of software may also become a bit more demanding of resources too but that is usually not as big a factor.

Getting lots of memory and a fast processor may mask this but a PC slowing down may not have a lot to do with the quality of the laptop.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

atl2005 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 am
I guess by last I mean 5-6 years without issues, this laptop has been sluggish and had some issues now for several years I had just kept on dealing with it instead of spending the money to get a new one.
If sluggishness is the only issue, installing an SSD should do the trick. I just had an HP laptop upgraded to an SSD for $245 out the door at a local independent computer shop. Price included parts and labor. The shop cloned the existing HDD, so there aren't the issues one encounters when buying a new machine- reinstalling applications, reconfiguring them, etc.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Watty

Post by Watty »

shunkman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:29 am Does it make any sense to wait until after Windows 11 is released?
There might be some sales when that happens, both on Win 10 machines to clear out inventory or as promotions for new Win 11 machines.

In general though I would stick with a Windows 10 machine that can be upgraded to 11 and then wait a year to do that. Even if there are not any major problems with Win 11 there will still likely be some major fixes that come out in the first year.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

atl2005 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 am
tibbitts wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:41 pm

Which model did you go with? I guess by last I mean 5-6 years without issues, this laptop has been sluggish and had some issues now for several years I had just kept on dealing with it instead of spending the money to get a new one.
I bought a Dell Vostro which is the lower-end Dell business line. There is always some sort of sale on computers somewhere, although I partly bought this one because availability overall from the vendors I looked at (pretty much all of them) wasn't the best, and this one shipped immediately. Also it was a newer model at the time, a generation newer than half or so of the offerings. The price with the 4yr support was appealing and covers most hardware/software problems (but not battery failure after the first year, which was extra cost coverage.) So in theory if this one needs a replacement part within the 4 years, somebody else can deal with the parts department in trying to figure out the correct part numbers etc. You'd think that buying the correct part would be easy given the serial number, etc. but that absolutely wasn't the case with my previous model. I use a computer frequently, and after 4 years would just move on if something went wrong that I couldn't easily fix.
ElJefeDelQueso

Post by ElJefeDelQueso »

Get something with an SSD and at least 16GB RAM. Go to Costco and get the cheapest thing from a brand you recognize.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I do product reviews, and two computer lines that I find have lots of good options at various price points are Dell and Asus. No matter which line you eventually choose to go with, I would highly recommend one with at least a 500gb SSD because of the speed and reliability.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

Watty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 am
atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I should be looking for in a laptop but I use mine mostly for surfing, Microsoft office files, and watching videos. I want something that's going to last and not slow down within the first couple of years. I was considering a Lenovo Thinkpad but don't which model/specs would fit my needs.
Pretty much much any new laptop with 8GB of memory would be fine for that since you are not doing things like playing games.

If your current laptop does not have a SSD then even one without a real fast processor will feel real fast.

The big differences you might get by going with a more expensive business grade machine would be things like;
1) More physically durable both for physical abuse and having problems with the keyboard and touchpad.
2) A better feeling keyboard
3) A better screen, but unless you are real picky or using the laptop in bright sunlight you might have a hard time telling the difference unless they are side by side on the showroom floor since. If you were doing a lot of photo editing the screen might be more important.

A couple of months ago I bought a less expensive version of this one which had a smaller SSD, an AMD processor, and was not a touch screen, and I am happy with it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ide ... Id=6449496

This is the one I got but it is not on sale like when I got it so the other one would be a better deal since it has a larger SSD and costs less.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ide ... Id=6449503

I do not expect to use it much for travel so it not being as rugged as a business machine should be OK for me and if I need to replace it a few years sooner I can buy several of this type of laptop for the same cost as a high end business laptop.
atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I want something that's going to last and not slow down within the first couple of years.
Computers slowing down is typically a software problem that can be be fixed by reinstalling installing windows. Microsoft made that a lot easier to do a few years ago, Google "windows reset". The downside is that you will need to go through the process of setting up your PC again.

Over time new versions of software may also become a bit more demanding of resources too but that is usually not as big a factor.

Getting lots of memory and a fast processor may mask this but a PC slowing down may not have a lot to do with the quality of the laptop.
Hey thanks for all the advice and the recommendations. I've never tried a windows reset on a computer but I do have an external hard drive I can move everything to so I could perform a reset.
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

ElJefeDelQueso wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56 pm

Get something with an SSD and at least 16GB RAM. Go to Costco and get the cheapest thing from a brand you recognize.
Thanks I definitely want a SSD but wasn't sure if I should go with 8 or 16GB RAM. I'll see what I can find with the 16GB.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

If you don’t do any serious gaming, you don’t need to spend more than $600 on a laptop. Just get something with a current gen CPU, 8gb of RAM, and a 256gb SSD. Something like 11th gen Intel i3 or i5 processor or the AMD Ryzen 5000 series will serve you just fine in a 15” laptop with a 1080p display.
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

cjcerny wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:22 am If you don’t do any serious gaming, you don’t need to spend more than $600 on a laptop. Just get something with a current gen CPU, 8gb of RAM, and a 256gb SSD. Something like 11th gen Intel i3 or i5 processor or the AMD Ryzen 5000 series will serve you just fine in a 15” laptop with a 1080p display.
Any particular brand you recommend? I was looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell XPS but I think they run a good bit more than that.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Thinkpad and XPS are high end models. You’ll get better build quality and brighter, more color accurate display for your extra money, and likely a better keyboard, too.

No big discernible differences between the brands down in the $500 or $600 range. Best bet is to just walk into a Best Buy or Microcenter and try out your options in that lower price range. You might prefer the keyboard or ergonomics of one model over the other. Around me in Ohio, no problem finding 15” laptop with current CPU, 8gb of RAM, 256gb SSD and full HD display (1080p) for $550 or less if you catch a good sale or an open box item—maybe as low as $479 if you catch a break.

At the high end, IMO, best bang for your buck is gonna be M1 MacBook Air if you can handle the switch. Have seen them down as low as $850 in recent weeks. Really speedy solid small laptop with a stellar display, keyboard, and trackpad.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

F150HD wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 pm Dell has some deals going on. I don't have one, but, for Joe Average (surfing, Office etc) spending $1500 on a laptop seems high to me.

+1 for Dell...XPS series.
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

For something rugged and ultralight for travel, I would go with an Acer Swift.
Here is a 15.6 one for $949:
https://www.newegg.com/p/2RC-00CW-00545
I use a 14" version of this when I travel and love it. The downside is that it is a glossy screen and reflective.

If the laptop is going to mostly be in your home and travel only a little bit, then I would get something with a matte screen.
This Lenovo E15 for $1130 should do the trick.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089CLFL7T

There are certainly higher spec machines, but I don't think you need to spend anywhere near $1,500 for what you want to do.
Last edited by Patzer on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

we have had good luck with Dell desktop computers and laptops.

i currently have an Inspiron laptop. it is for personal (not business) use.

i think if you are using the laptop daily for your business/how you make a living that would be one thing. if you are using it as a more casual user and it would be an inconvenience only if something happened to it that is another thing.

i bought this laptop 2 years or so ago for roughly $650. i imagine for around that amount you could get a good laptop now.

the SSD makes a big difference. and enough RAM (i think this computer has 8 although now you could probably get 16 for the same price as I got 8).

if you go to Dell's website you can customize the computer. you can also just buy one of the ones they have premade/prebuilt that probably contain most of what most people want in a computer.

hope some of the above is helpful
Focus on what you can control
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I posted recently about some issues with my 6 year old Lenovo (z51-70) laptop, and instead of trouble shooting and trying to figure out these different issues I've decided to get a new laptop.
If your new laptop works out of the box, great.
But if it doesn't, you will need to do troubleshooting. You will have to deal with support overseas who will insist that you do certain troubleshooting steps before they will accept the laptop for repair.

It behooves you to learn a bit of DIY for you old laptop.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 am
atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I posted recently about some issues with my 6 year old Lenovo (z51-70) laptop, and instead of trouble shooting and trying to figure out these different issues I've decided to get a new laptop.
But if it doesn't, you will need to do troubleshooting. You will have to deal with support overseas who will insist that you do certain troubleshooting steps before they will accept the laptop for repair.

The new Dell computer that I bought a few months ago was the first one I've ever bought that didn't work properly out of the box. Of course the first thing I did was all the updates (or so I thought.) Besides Windows updates there were two pages of vendor (vs. Windows) firmware and driver updates. And everything seemed fine until I found the audio was... unusable. The firmware/driver updates had been a battle; they couldn't all be done (successfully) at once, so if somebody wasn't accustomed to problems like that and weren't persistent that itself would have been a problem. Anyway I had done all the non-optional updates and a quick search didn't turn up any audio issues, so since I'd bought a computer with manufacturer support I thought I'd try it out. Wow, it at least sounded like U.S. support, and was available immediately. They seemed aware of the problem and installed a driver that fixed it. It was maybe fifteen minutes from contacting them to resolution. Now, with my last Dell I had the opposite experience trying to buy parts (and just needing to buy parts after 2+ years might be considered an issue), so I'm not necessarily giving Dell an unqualified recommendation, just saying that I had a surprisingly good support experience.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Slightly off topic but I just realized that after owning a bunch of Toshiba laptops over many years, I haven't heard anything about them since... forever. Are they still a thing? A quick search seems to suggest they did an name/owner change thing like IBM/Lenovo, but they seem to be pretty obscure, at least here in the U.S.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:12 am
Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 am

The new Dell computer that I bought a few months ago was the first one I've ever bought that didn't work properly out of the box. Of course the first thing I did was all the updates (or so I thought.) Besides Windows updates there were two pages of vendor (vs. Windows) firmware and driver updates. And everything seemed fine until I found the audio was... unusable. The firmware/driver updates had been a battle; they couldn't all be done (successfully) at once, so if somebody wasn't accustomed to problems like that and weren't persistent that itself would have been a problem. Anyway I had done all the non-optional updates and a quick search didn't turn up any audio issues, so since I'd bought a computer with manufacturer support I thought I'd try it out. Wow, it at least sounded like U.S. support, and was available immediately. They seemed aware of the problem and installed a driver that fixed it. It was maybe fifteen minutes from contacting them to resolution. Now, with my last Dell I had the opposite experience trying to buy parts (and just needing to buy parts after 2+ years might be considered an issue), so I'm not necessarily giving Dell an unqualified recommendation, just saying that I had a surprisingly good support experience.
As far as I know, the standard Dell support or for that matter HP, Lenovo, etc. is not USA-based.
Last edited by Nyc10036 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:18 am Slightly off topic but I just realized that after owning a bunch of Toshiba laptops over many years, I haven't heard anything about them since... forever. Are they still a thing? A quick search seems to suggest they did an name/owner change thing like IBM/Lenovo, but they seem to be pretty obscure, at least here in the U.S.
Gone. :(
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53721016
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:21 am
As far as I know, the standard Dell support or for that matter HP, Lenovo, etc. is not USA-based.
Although the lower end of the business lines, the laptop included "Pro Support Plus."
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:58 am
Although the lower end of the business lines, the laptop included "Pro Support Plus."
Premium Support $77.42 1-year

Premium Support Plus $146.02 1-year
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/ ... pport-plus

This is for a $372 Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop.

flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Why not get an M1 MacBook Air for $999?
This content is for entertainment purposes only
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:22 pm

As probably with any of the brands you have to evaluate the cost based on what's available at the time you purchase. For me, based on my adventures with all the laptops I've owned over the years, the bundle that included the four years of next-business-day-onsite and accidental damage coverage was worth it for what amounted to less than $25/yr. Bogleheads wouldn't approve of that, but I would have at least broken even on the amount on average with my many laptops over the years. For me it was about hardware more than software.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Watty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:28 am
shunkman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:29 am Does it make any sense to wait until after Windows 11 is released?
There might be some sales when that happens, both on Win 10 machines to clear out inventory or as promotions for new Win 11 machines.

In general though I would stick with a Windows 10 machine that can be upgraded to 11 and then wait a year to do that. Even if there are not any major problems with Win 11 there will still likely be some major fixes that come out in the first year.
I'm not currently in the market, so haven't looked...

But my expectations is that at this point devices should be clearly marked as being able to be upgraded to Windows 11.

I'd steer clear of any where this isn't made obvious.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

SnowBog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:07 pm

But my expectations is that at this point devices should be clearly marked as being able to be upgraded to Windows 11.

It would be next to impossible to find a laptop being sold new that canNOT be upgraded to Windows 11. The main requirement is an 8th-gen or later Intel processor (or 3000 and later Ryzen, as well as most 2000 series) and TPM 2.0; most PCs sold as far back as 4 years ago meet these requirements.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I like the Surface Laptop. 3:2 screen is a big plus.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:14 pm

It would be next to impossible to find a laptop being sold new that canNOT be upgraded to Windows 11. The main requirement is an 8th-gen or later Intel processor (or 3000 and later Ryzen, as well as most 2000 series) and TPM 2.0; most PCs sold as far back as 4 years ago meet these requirements.
New doesn't necessarily mean "new". Some stores/sites might be selling 2+ year old devices that are "new" (aka unused), but aren't "new" (as in latest CPUs/etc.)

But to your point, assuming it's a "new" (as in recently made with recent parts) its likely fine - and as I understand it should be clearly marked as "Ready for Windows 11" or some such...
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

SnowBog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:51 pm

New doesn't necessarily mean "new". Some stores/sites might be selling 2+ year old devices that are "new" (aka unused), but aren't "new" (as in latest CPUs/etc.)

But to your point, assuming it's a "new" (as in recently made with recent parts) its likely fine - and as I understand it should be clearly marked as "Ready for Windows 11" or some such...
I think the laptop would have to have been made in the last couple of months to say "Windows 11" on it? I'm not sure anybody is retroactively marking them as being compatible.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:40 pm

I think the laptop would have to have been made in the last couple of months to say "Windows 11" on it? I'm not sure anybody is retroactively marking them as being compatible.
I believe they actually were... As some devices made before Windows 11 was announced will work with Windows 11.

But my point is - I would only be looking at devices that are clearly marked as being "ready" for Window 11 (or "upgradeable" or however else they are marked).

I'd ignore any devices that aren't marked as such (even if you don't plan to upgrade to Win 11 right away - if you are buying a new device, might as well make sure it can run Windows 11 - as that automatically also means its a more recent device).
Straitlover

Post by Straitlover »

I just got a new one at Costco a week or so ago. I do about the same as you, web surf, MIcrosoft Office stuff. So far so good. Only real complaint is the USB ports. I don't have anything w/ the newest USB connections, so I only have one working USB port that I have to plug my wireless mouse into. I need to get something that I can plug into that one to give me more ports.

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideapad-3 ... 67806.html
02nz

Post by 02nz »

SnowBog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:26 pm

I believe they actually were... As some devices made before Windows 11 was announced will work with Windows 11.

But my point is - I would only be looking at devices that are clearly marked as being "ready" for Window 11 (or "upgradeable" or however else they are marked).

I'd ignore any devices that aren't marked as such (even if you don't plan to upgrade to Win 11 right away - if you are buying a new device, might as well make sure it can run Windows 11 - as that automatically also means its a more recent device).
Again, there's not a single Windows 10 device you'll find new at Best Buy, Amazon, or wherever that won't run Windows 11. PCs from as far back as 4 years ago can be upgraded to Windows 10 without problem.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:50 pm

Again, there's not a single Windows 10 device you'll find new at Best Buy, Amazon, or wherever that won't run Windows 11. PCs from as far back as 4 years ago can be upgraded to Windows 10 without problem.
I'm not going to drop money on a new device that "should" work.

Devices that meet the requirements should be noted as such. Manufacturers have been working on this for awhile now. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows- ... to-samsung

If a device is not identified as such, I'd move on to another device that is...
02nz

Post by 02nz »

SnowBog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:20 pm
02nz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:50 pm

I'm not going to drop money on a new device that "should" work.

Devices that meet the requirements should be noted as such. Manufacturers have been working on this for awhile now. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows- ... to-samsung

If a device is not identified as such, I'd move on to another device that is...
Microsoft has not come out with a "Windows 11 Ready" designation, the main reason being that every computer sold commercially today is Windows 11 ready.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:06 pm

As probably with any of the brands you have to evaluate the cost based on what's available at the time you purchase. For me, based on my adventures with all the laptops I've owned over the years, the bundle that included the four years of next-business-day-onsite and accidental damage coverage was worth it for what amounted to less than $25/yr. Bogleheads wouldn't approve of that, but I would have at least broken even on the amount on average with my many laptops over the years. For me it was about hardware more than software.
I am not sure where you got that bundle that included premium support for $25/year.
If you have a link, it would be quite helpful.

The OP mentioned not wanting to "troubleshoot" her/his current laptop.
This means premium service which means extra cost.
This is why I included actual cost in dollars and cents for a laptop currently being sold on Dell.com
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:48 am

I am not sure where you got that bundle that included premium support for $25/year.

This is why I included actual cost in dollars and cents for a laptop currently being sold on Dell.com
Dell (and all the other vendor's) sales and offers come and go seemingly daily, so a link to my offer from a few months ago is going to help anybody. The point is that this was a public offer on the Dell website; I don't have access to any special corporate or education discounts. I thought I might want a new laptop, so I looked on dell.com for "deals" for both the consumer and business product lines. Same with HP, Lenovo, etc. Since I use my laptops a lot and have had more than a few hardware issues (some from by own doing, others from component failures), this seemed like a good value for me. Had I not considered the service plan valuable, there were other similar-spec computers available for a little less. And at the time there was also extra cash back available (credit card offers, etc.) that reduced the net cost by about 12% vs. it would be at most times (those same offers were available the last time I bought a computer, about three years ago, so also a periodic thing to look for.)

As long as there's no rush the OP might want to check periodically and buy when they find a combinations of features, support, etc. that they consider to be a good value.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:28 pm

Dell (and all the other vendor's) sales and offers come and go seemingly daily, so a link to my offer from a few months ago is going to help anybody. The point is that this was a public offer on the Dell website; I don't have access to any special corporate or education discounts. I thought I might want a new laptop, so I looked on dell.com for "deals" for both the consumer and business product lines. Same with HP, Lenovo, etc. Since I use my laptops a lot and have had more than a few hardware issues (some from by own doing, others from component failures), this seemed like a good value for me. Had I not considered the service plan valuable, there were other similar-spec computers available for a little less. And at the time there was also extra cash back available (credit card offers, etc.) that reduced the net cost by about 12% vs. it would be at most times (those same offers were available the last time I bought a computer, about three years ago, so also a periodic thing to look for.)

As long as there's no rush the OP might want to check periodically and buy when they find a combinations of features, support, etc. that they consider to be a good value.
You were very lucky to find that deal.

Those deals are not very common.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:51 am

Actually I clicked on one of those targeted ads during a search (probably based on my purchase a few months ago) just yesterday and there were similar offers - prices seemed up a little (like everything seems to be lately) but decent prices bundled with 4yr support. I don't really know why I clicked on the ad since I don't want another computer - I guess that's why those ads are so effective!
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I removed a disrespectful post. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
If you disagree with an idea, go ahead and marshal all your forces against it. But do not confuse ideas with the person posting them. At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 am

Actually I clicked on one of those targeted ads during a search (probably based on my purchase a few months ago) just yesterday and there were similar offers - prices seemed up a little (like everything seems to be lately) but decent prices bundled with 4yr support. I don't really know why I clicked on the ad since I don't want another computer - I guess that's why those ads are so effective!
Yikes. That is one thing I do not do and that is clicked on targeted ads!
I automatically zone out on the ads, so even if they mention 4 year support, I would not even notice.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

I also recommend you go to Best Buy and try a bunch of laptops. The computer I thought I wanted (based on reviews), the Dell XPS, was not what I liked when I tapped on the keyboard and looked at the screen. I ended up purchasing a 15" Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 because I liked the screen dimensions (3:2 screen ratio), picture quality (2496 x 1664), weight (3.4 lbs), feel of the keypad and the tracking pad. It has 512 GB of drive and 16 GB of memory. I stream a lot and often have multiple windows open (Word, Excel, Outlook, web browser). There were lots of cheaper laptops, but this was the one I liked. I tend to keep my laptops until they die (about 8 years).
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:00 am

I automatically zone out on the ads, so even if they mention 4 year support, I would not even notice.

Targeted ads are somewhat of a feature to me, given that we have to have some way to pay for content. I almost always get them for products similar or identical to ones I've searched for, or actually purchased. I click on them somewhat frequently and I've never had a problem with a targeted ad from any of the well-known websites I visit.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

remomnyc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:25 am I also recommend you go to Best Buy and try a bunch of laptops. The computer I thought I wanted (based on reviews), the Dell XPS, was not what I liked when I tapped on the keyboard and looked at the screen. I ended up purchasing a 15" Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 because I liked the screen dimensions (3:2 screen ratio), picture quality (2496 x 1664), weight (3.4 lbs), feel of the keypad and the tracking pad. It has 512 GB of drive and 16 GB of memory. I stream a lot and often have multiple windows open (Word, Excel, Outlook, web browser). There were lots of cheaper laptops, but this was the one I liked. I tend to keep my laptops until they die (about 8 years).
These days you might find a pretty limited selection at retail stores; at least I've notice a lot of empty space on the displays on the occasions I've been to stores lately. I usually look around when I drop off items for recycling, and appreciate that Best Buy accepts electronics for free. Well except my CRT - I'm still trying figure out how to avoid paying $25 to recycle it.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:19 pm
Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:00 am

Targeted ads are somewhat of a feature to me, given that we have to have some way to pay for content. I almost always get them for products similar or identical to ones I've searched for, or actually purchased. I click on them somewhat frequently and I've never had a problem with a targeted ad from any of the well-known websites I visit.
I never click on targeted ads.
I wipe the cookies every day when I shutdown my PC even on Linux.
I use Brave and also Chromium to limit the tracking as much as possible.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:10 pm I never click on targeted ads.
I wipe the cookies every day when I shutdown my PC even on Linux.
I use Brave and also Chromium to limit the tracking as much as possible.

I dread when I have to delete cookies, which I only do when I encounter some obscure problem (and can't locate the specific offending cookie.) Luckily that only happens maybe every few months. For me the ads are helpful, for example notifying me of sale prices on products I've been looking for, or alternative products that I hadn't even known about.

Given that you're going to get the same number of ads anyway, why would you prefer non-targeted ads?