Need advice on new windows laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
roamingzebra

Re: Need advice on new windows laptop

Post by roamingzebra »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:57 pm
Given that you're going to get the same number of ads anyway, why would you prefer non-targeted ads?
I'm always amazed to hear that people are seeing ads on websites. UBlock Origin is free and the developer is totally committed to helping users fight ads and tracking, it's hard to see why not everyone is using it. But I think I heard it performs better on Firefox than other browsers, so maybe that's it.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:51 pm
Given that you're going to get the same number of ads anyway, why would you prefer non-targeted ads?
I'm always amazed to hear that people are seeing ads on websites. UBlock Origin is free and the developer is totally committed to helping users fight ads and tracking, it's hard to see why not everyone is using it. But I think I heard it performs better on Firefox than other browsers, so maybe that's it.
Or... maybe not everyone wants to avoid seeing ads.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

Why the windows laptop?

With how good the M1 Macbook Air in it's cheapest configuration at $999 I can't imagine spending $1,500 on a Windows Laptop when the M1 mac will feel lightyears ahead in speed/performance/case build quality/screen/battery/touchpad/etc/etc...
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

ElJefeDelQueso wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56 pm
Get something with an SSD and at least 16GB RAM. Go to Costco and get the cheapest thing from a brand you recognize.
+1

A computer is an appliance to me.

My 10-year old Gateway laptop (i5, 8 GB memory, 512 gig SSD) died last Friday (5 beeps, CPU error). Fortunately I had everything backed up to my Google drive :happy .

I found this machine

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-15-6 ... /739981902

For $500 that checks all my boxes - i5 (newer generation), 16 meg memory, 512 gig SSD, Windows 11 ready, decent monitor and upgraded Intel graphics. Hope this one also gives me 10 years of service! :beer YMMV.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

atl2005 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm I posted recently about some issues with my 6 year old Lenovo (z51-70) laptop, and instead of trouble shooting and trying to figure out these different issues I've decided to get a new laptop. I don't really know which specs(processor, memory, storage, etc.) I should be looking for in a laptop but I use mine mostly for surfing, Microsoft office files, and watching videos. I want something that's going to last and not slow down within the first couple of years. I was considering a Lenovo Thinkpad but don't which model/specs would fit my needs.

I'm hoping to get something under 1500 but will spend more if it means a machine that's going to last. The laptop I have now has the 15.6 inch screen so I would like to stay with at least a 14 inch or bigger model. I don't care for a touchscreen or 2 in 1 type model. Thanks for any advice, I just don't know enough about the specs/build of a laptop to make a purchase without some help.
I skimmed, and it seems this thread got offtrack. Here's the short version > no reason to spend anywhere close to $1500 for a non-gaming machine.

Something like this would absolutely scream and be overkill for what you want:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-3510-Anti-Glare-Quard-Core-i5-10210U/dp/B098NNS4VH
And that's $1150ish.
Or a slightly lesser version for $1050:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-3510-Anti-Glare-Quard-Core-i5-10210U/dp/B098NQ1W68

The short version is this - Dell, HP, etc. are all going to have comparable builds and prices if you shop around. You want a 512GB SSD and at least 16GB or Ram. That's going to handle your needs for a very long time. Anything bigger is gravy.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

TexasPE wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:02 pm I found this machine

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-15-6 ... /739981902

For $500 that checks all my boxes - i5 (newer generation), 16 meg memory, 512 gig SSD, Windows 11 ready, decent monitor and upgraded Intel graphics. Hope this one also gives me 10 years of service! :beer YMMV.
And so some better shopping than me - these are cheaper and if you look around, you'll see where they cut some corners.

But either way, any of these machines will be more than fine for someone doing casual stuff. You can over-upgrade just to have some fluff, but you might not notice it.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:00 pm
True, but why risk it? Ads are a frequent vector for malware.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:37 pm
The alternative would be to search on keywords in the ad, but I'm not sure that's any more or less secure - but it's definitely less convenient.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:01 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:37 pm
The alternative would be to search on keywords in the ad, but I'm not sure that's any more or less secure - but it's definitely less convenient.
Some ads "eject" malware as soon as you land on the page. No need to click on a link.

Anyway I'm pulling this thread too far off topic (and will quit here) but it's a particular bias of mine that if I'm going to buy something, the last place I'd look for recommendations is from an ad. Never had any luck that way and would rather companies spend their money on quality control of their product and web site security. And maybe giving us a better price as well. :)