Possible iPhone 13 deal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Possible iPhone 13 deal?

Post by Barefootgirl »

So for the iPhone 13, AT&T (and other carriers) have a promo where if you trade in an iPhone X or newer, you get $700 credit towards a new phone.

So if you do not want to give up your current phone, what about buying a used iPhone X, XR, 11, etc via the Facebook marketplace, a friend or other sources and then using that phone to get $700 off? (I have seen Iphone X for $250 or so).

Just thinking the price spread could make this worthwhile? Perhaps I am missing something, please point it out. Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
cacophony

Re: Possible iPhone 13 deal?

Post by cacophony »

I assume this requires you to maintain a pricey post paid plan ($75/month or more) for an extended period (multiple years?). Add up how much you'll spend on that plan over the full duration of the contract and then compare it to pre-paid options (+ $700): https://prepaidcompare.net/
dbr

Post by dbr »

Check and see if that doesn't mean an iPhone you bought or are buying from them in an existing plan. I'm not so sure you can just mail them a random piece of junk you are able to pick up somewhere. I could be wrong.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:25 pm Just thinking the price spread could make this worthwhile? Perhaps I am missing something, please point it out. Thanks
Do you need a 13? An SE is actually a well-priced and featured phone, for 99% of users.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Just had a new battery at my local Applestore this week for my iPhone 7 (2018). Still going…
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

surfstar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:20 pm
Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:25 pm Just thinking the price spread could make this worthwhile? Perhaps I am missing something, please point it out. Thanks
Do you need a 13? An SE is actually a well-priced and featured phone, for 99% of users.
+1
Love my SE but the battery life is garbage.
10 months in and battery health down to 88%.
At this rate, ill need battery replaced in another year
:oops:
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Yes, people do this all the time.

Yes, such plans are usually more important expensive than BH-approved barebones cell plans, but plenty of us prefer the mainstream plans :)
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

mtmingus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 pm Just had a new battery at my local Applestore this week for my iPhone 7 (2018). Still going…
I know it's a minor point, but that's a 2016 phone, not 2018.
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

A trade in credit can be denied if the phone has damage (liquid) or has been modified in some way (aftermarket battery, screen, etc. installed). To the layperson it is difficult to tell if all parts are genuine or not but Apple can always tell. YMMV.
Tomorrow never knows.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Re trade in credit, I routinely trade in my Samsung phones, some in less than perfect condition, without issue. I suspect they just want to get the newest n greatest into the hands of users for a sales and market share win.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

cacophony wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:06 pm I assume this requires you to maintain a pricey post paid plan ($75/month or more) for an extended period (multiple years?). Add up how much you'll spend on that plan over the full duration of the contract and then compare it to pre-paid options (+ $700): https://prepaidcompare.net/
There are a ton of situations where postpaid plans actually end up being the same or even cheaper than prepaid plans, particularly with device subsidies, all while offering better service.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:40 pm
mtmingus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 pm Just had a new battery at my local Applestore this week for my iPhone 7 (2018). Still going…
I know it's a minor point, but that's a 2016 phone, not 2018.
He/she probably purchased in 2018!
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Do you need to drink anything besides free water out of a public fountain? There are lots of things people don't need but certainly want. And no reason not to try to get the best deal on something one wants.

iPhone SE is not well featured -- small screen size, poor battery life, poor screen quality, mediocre camera, and no 5G support for $399. You are much better off going Android in that price range. Look what you can get for $239!

https://www.amazon.com/OnePlus-Unlocked ... g-20&psc=1
Gmt21

Post by Gmt21 »

These credits are most likely bill credits that you receive over 24 or 36 months.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

UALflyer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 am
cacophony wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:06 pm I assume this requires you to maintain a pricey post paid plan ($75/month or more) for an extended period (multiple years?). Add up how much you'll spend on that plan over the full duration of the contract and then compare it to pre-paid options (+ $700): https://prepaidcompare.net/
There are a ton of situations where postpaid plans actually end up being the same or even cheaper than prepaid plans, particularly with device subsidies, all while offering better service.
I think we've been through this same interchange. IMO, for most people, a $10-15/month prepaid plan would be significantly cheaper and not present any noticeable limitations. There's often no good reason to be spending $35/month or more on cell service and no real justification for buying a new $700+ phone every year or two. But if you feel spending four times as much (or more) is justified then nobody is stopping you.

I pay ~$100/year for my ATT cell service with more than enough LTE data. And the Pixel 3 I bought brand new 3 years ago for $380 is still working flawlessly.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

cacophony wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 pm I pay ~$100/year for my ATT cell service with more than enough LTE data. And the Pixel 3 I bought brand new 3 years ago for $380 is still working flawlessly.
I was curious about this. I could not find any plan for $100 for a year except with extremely high per minute/per text/per MB charges. It seems that this would only work for someone who uses their phone only when absolutely necessary. Not someone who uses it in a mainstream way where texting is the primary means of communication and streaming music has long taken over from FM radio. Am I missing something?
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

Katietsu wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:54 pm
cacophony wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 pm I pay ~$100/year for my ATT cell service with more than enough LTE data. And the Pixel 3 I bought brand new 3 years ago for $380 is still working flawlessly.
I was curious about this. I could not find any plan for $100 for a year except with extremely high per minute/per text/per MB charges. It seems that this would only work for someone who uses their phone only when absolutely necessary. Not someone who uses it in a mainstream way where texting is the primary means of communication and streaming music has long taken over from FM radio. Am I missing something?
Cacophony pays roughly $8/month for 1 GB LTE + 1000 minutes/texts via Red Pocket: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=350455

There's no problem with this, except that this type of plan obviously only appeals to those with super light usage, who are also the same people who wouldn't appreciate the differences that become a lot more apparent with higher usage.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I can't speak to the iPhone 13 deal specifically, but I can tell you I did exactly what you're describing a couple years ago. I bought an absolute bare bone iPhone 6 (I believe was the lowest model). I got a $400 credit toward an iPhone 12 Max.

Verizon was offering this. You get a $16.67 credit per month for 2 years.

There was a little bit of a pain around serial numbers and making sure it was unlocked or something... but it all worked out.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

UALflyer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:06 pm
Katietsu wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:54 pm
Cacophony pays roughly $8/month for 1 GB LTE + 1000 minutes/texts via Red Pocket: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=350455

There's no problem with this, except that this type of plan obviously only appeals to those with super light usage, who are also the same people who wouldn't appreciate the differences that become a lot more apparent with higher usage.
8GB LTE per month (with unlimited calls/texts) is only about $12-15/month. That should cover most needs. And to be clear, I use my phone a lot. But there is wifi everywhere, so cellular is not needed that much.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

A contentious interchange has been removed. Please keep in mind the forum policies and General Etiquette:
This is a moderated forum. We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones. Discussions are about issues, not people. If you disagree with an idea, go ahead and marshal all your forces against it. But do not confuse ideas with the person posting them. At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable. If you feel that someone has attacked you or otherwise violated the policies of this forum, do not respond in kind. Instead, please click the report button on the offending post. This is the quickest method to notify the site moderators.
In other words, if you think someone has attacked you, the appropriate response is to report the post using the handy-dandy "!" icon at the top right. That will get the moderators' attention.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

As a random note, I see so many people talking about how they use old phones, etc. If you're running a 4-6 year old phone, bless you. However, if you run apps, take pictures, etc., that's a stinker.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

sureshoe wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:35 pm As a random note, I see so many people talking about how they use old phones, etc. If you're running a 4-6 year old phone, bless you. However, if you run apps, take pictures, etc., that's a stinker.
It depends on what phone you're starting with. A good flagship phone these days is probably fine for 4 or more years, but if you're starting with something less capable then you might start to notice significant drawbacks. The motivation to upgrade for me is usually driven by new features/functionality, not lessening performance.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

cacophony wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:46 pmI won't comment on "require prioritized data" or "lower latency" because that's entirely plan and circumstance dependent, and you certainly can't prove that all post paid is better than all pre paid.
It is in every single MVNO terms and conditions. Mobile carriers handle priority through a mechanism called Quality of Service Class Identifier or QCI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QoS_Class_Identifier). So, for instance, on the AT&T network, FirstNet (used by first responders, etc...) is QCI 6, business performance and consumer elite postpaid plans are QCI 7... MVNO is QCI 9.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

UALflyer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm
cacophony wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:46 pmI won't comment on "require prioritized data" or "lower latency" because that's entirely plan and circumstance dependent, and you certainly can't prove that all post paid is better than all pre paid.
It is in every single MVNO terms and conditions. Mobile carriers handle priority through a mechanism called Quality of Service Class Identifier or QCI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QoS_Class_Identifier). So, for instance, on the AT&T network, FirstNet (used by first responders, etc...) is QCI 6, business performance and consumer elite postpaid plans are QCI 7... MVNO is QCI 9.
I was more referring to actual real world user experiences. Prioritization might be in place, but that doesn't mean it would actually be noticed by the typical customer. I certainly didn't notice a difference when I switched to prepaid, but I'm sure it's area dependent.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

cacophony wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:55 pm I was more referring to actual real world user experiences. Prioritization might be in place, but that doesn't mean it would actually be noticed by the typical customer. I certainly didn't notice a difference when I switched to prepaid, but I'm sure it's area dependent.
It depends on the area and the amount of data used. For instance, you previously posted that your 1gb of LTE data is more than enough for you, so your experience is quite different from that of a person who uses far more mobile data and/or has more critical network needs.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

UALflyer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:13 pm
cacophony wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:55 pm I was more referring to actual real world user experiences. Prioritization might be in place, but that doesn't mean it would actually be noticed by the typical customer. I certainly didn't notice a difference when I switched to prepaid, but I'm sure it's area dependent.
It depends on the area and the amount of data used. For instance, you previously posted that your 1gb of LTE data is more than enough for you, so your experience is quite different from that of a person who uses far more mobile data and/or has more critical network needs.
For years I was on the 5GB/month plan (now 8GB/month) for $12/month, so I don't think my experience is that different from most users. Many people with much larger data needs seem to be happy on prepaid plans that offer 10+GB/month or "unlimited" data.

But yes, I don't use my phone for business, so I wouldn't call any of my usage critical.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I just traded in a Samsung S9 phone for an Apple 12 phone. My trade was $700, new phone was $799. So we have $99 to pay over two years.

I bought the S9 from at Best Buy for a tad over $400 via a one day sale. Lucked in into that deal.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
acunn

Post by acunn »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm I just traded in a Samsung S9 phone for an Apple 12 phone. My trade was $700, new phone was $799. So we have $99 to pay over two years.

I bought the S9 from at Best Buy for a tad over $400 via a one day sale. Lucked in into that deal.

Broken Man 1999

Are there added taxes and fees to each bill for the duration of the monthly credits?
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

cacophony wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:46 pm
sureshoe wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:35 pm As a random note, I see so many people talking about how they use old phones, etc. If you're running a 4-6 year old phone, bless you. However, if you run apps, take pictures, etc., that's a stinker.
It depends on what phone you're starting with. A good flagship phone these days is probably fine for 4 or more years, but if you're starting with something less capable then you might start to notice significant drawbacks. The motivation to upgrade for me is usually driven by new features/functionality, not lessening performance.
If you had a top of the line phone 4 years ago, you probably don't want "fine" now. The iPhone X came out 4 years ago. It is certainly usable, and nice enough. But an iPhone 13 Pro (or preferably Pro Max) would be a considerable improvement.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

acunn wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:39 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm I just traded in a Samsung S9 phone for an Apple 12 phone. My trade was $700, new phone was $799. So we have $99 to pay over two years.

Broken Man 1999

Are there added taxes and fees to each bill for the duration of the monthly credits?
I honestly have no idea. DW and I are on a 4 line plan at ATT with a DD, and our portion is one of DW's bills to pay. I've never seen a cell bill in my life.
I understand they are a source of irritation to many, so I'm glad I have had no financial interactions with any carrier, ever.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:39 pm Yes, such plans are usually more important expensive than BH-approved barebones cell plans, but plenty of us prefer the mainstream plans :)
Exactly! Count me as one of those who prefers full-featured phones and mainstream plans. My smartphone is too important to me to go low end on either the device or the plan. I am a boglehead in my investing, but not in every aspect of life.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

tenkuky wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:37 pm
+1

Ouch. I was seriously considering the SE until I saw this. Is this common? I'm on an XR (91% battery capacity after ~ 2 years) that I'm either gifting to my son for his first phone and upgrading my line or just buying him a used phone. Also, how's the camera? I want a good camera as life's moments are very important to me and wish I had a better camera phone back 10 years ago when my kids were very small. Thanks.
Light weight baby!
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

At least on Android, I also want to update when my phone stops getting security update patches...
02nz

Post by 02nz »

RobLyons wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:02 am
+1

Ouch. I was seriously considering the SE until I saw this. Is this common? I'm on an XR (91% battery capacity after ~ 2 years) that I'm either gifting to my son for his first phone and upgrading my line or just buying him a used phone. Also, how's the camera? I want a good camera as life's moments are very important to me and wish I had a better camera phone back 10 years ago when my kids were very small. Thanks.
All phone batteries degrade with use. 88% in a year isn't out of the ordinary, although with more careful charging (avoiding going above 80% or below about 30%) and avoiding excessive heat, I've been able to keep my iPhone 12 at 100% after almost a year. As for the camera, the SE won't be significantly better than the XR. If you want the best camera, get the 13.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

acunn wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:39 pm

Broken Man 1999

Generally, no, you pay the tax on the full value up front.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:25 pm So for the iPhone 13, AT&T (and other carriers) have a promo where if you trade in an iPhone X or newer, you get $700 credit towards a new phone.

So if you do not want to give up your current phone, what about buying a used iPhone X, XR, 11, etc via the Facebook marketplace, a friend or other sources and then using that phone to get $700 off? (I have seen Iphone X for $250 or so).

Just thinking the price spread could make this worthwhile? Perhaps I am missing something, please point it out. Thanks
Assuming you want the phone and are happy with the carrier/plan, it is just a matter of adding up the total costs carefully. In particular, I think (not totally sure) that you pay the taxes on the purchase price of the new phone despite the discounts. Worth checking what other fees they may hit you with too (activation, etc).

I've never done this particular game, trading in phones and getting carrier subsidies. I've just purchased unlocked Android (usually Pixel) phones and have a fairly cheap MVNO plan.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

02nz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:18 am
+1

All phone batteries degrade with use. 88% in a year isn't out of the ordinary, although with more careful charging (avoiding going above 80% or below about 30%) and avoiding excessive heat, I've been able to keep my iPhone 12 at 100% after almost a year. As for the camera, the SE won't be significantly better than the XR. If you want the best camera, get the 13.
The SE stands out in terms of poor battery life. See here...
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphone-s ... or-letdown

I wish I had read that prior to buying it, but the price through Consumer Cellular was unbeatable ($350 at the time, new).
Camera is meh but again OK for price point.
Biggest reason was I like the smaller size, fits in pocket. And I want a home button, not FaceID and I want regular charging.
It checked all those boxes.
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

These deals usually box you into the carrier's highest rate plan (eg T-Mobile with it's Magenta Max requirement for these deals). If you are happy with your current plan, it may not make sense switching to the higher rate plan, just to get these deals, especially because the iPhone 13, if you were to get it today will easily last 4 years, if not 5 or 6. Year over year improvements in phones are starting to get marginal.

I am as cheap as they come, so I naturally investigated what T-Mobile has to offer by way of discounts on the new iPhones. I am grandfathered into an old, cheap T-Mobile plan that is no longer offered. Switching to Magenta Max to get the iPhone discounts is a lose for me. I am planning to place an order for the iPhone 13 Pro Max today with Apple.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

sureshoe wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 am
Da5id wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:08 am
Yep that is a thing clearly. It is appropriate here sometimes. e.g. if someone is going to use credit card debt to buy a shiny new phone or TV I can see encouraging them to consider living within their means and making due. But if someone's financial house is totally in order and their spending priorities are different than yours, why quibble over it?
Farting in a bath tub wins the thread.

But seriously, it is annoying. In your example, Da51d, if someone posted "what's the best way to finance this phone, right now my only option is a credit card", asking them "I probably wouldn't use a credit card, and maybe you can't afford this."
That was my only point. Not questioning if iPhone 13 is a good choice for those that can reasonably afford one. It wouldn't be for me, though I could easily afford it. But I'd never bother posting that opinion in response to a thread as advice that someone *else* shouldn't get an IPhone 13. Because I recognize totally that my priorities aren't others, I'd just rather spend lots of on vacations and such and buy a mid-range phone.
Last edited by Da5id on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

sureshoe wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:33 am
If you had a top of the line phone 4 years ago, you probably don't want "fine" now. The iPhone X came out 4 years ago. It is certainly usable, and nice enough. But an iPhone 13 Pro (or preferably Pro Max) would be a considerable improvement.
That is true. A lot of improvements happen after 4 years, so it can be tough to resist upgrading.
deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty »

Finally looking to upgrade this year from a beaten 6s to a 13 128GB, excited!

I am a very happy customer of Mint Mobile with $15/mo for 4GB and unlimited call/text and I was just planning on buying the phone for $829 + taxes.

Does anyone know if there is any carrier promotion that would make me come out ahead after the 3 year mark? All the deals I’ve seen with the “free” phone would end up costing me more than twice by the time the contract expires, but thought I’d check here.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:55 am
sureshoe wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:33 am If you had a top of the line phone 4 years ago, you probably don't want "fine" now. The iPhone X came out 4 years ago. It is certainly usable, and nice enough. But an iPhone 13 Pro (or preferably Pro Max) would be a considerable improvement.
I have to say, it’s very annoying when people who are in the market for XYZ item and everyone chimes in with ABC alternative that is in a completely different segment.

“I’m in the market for a Porsche.”
“Have you considered a 7 year old used Camry?”

“I’m in the market for a gaming PC.”
“Have you considered a Chromebook?”

“I’m in the market for an iPhone 13.”
“Have you considered a 4 year old budget line phone?”

“I’m in the market for a hot tub.”
“Have you considered sitting in your bathtub and farting?”
But there's also the opposite thing (in a way) in PC threads:
"I'm in the market for a $500 laptop."
"Have you considered a $2400 MacBook Pro?"
02nz

Post by 02nz »

deanmoriarty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:40 pm Finally looking to upgrade this year from a beaten 6s to a 13 128GB, excited!

I am a very happy customer of Mint Mobile with $15/mo for 4GB and unlimited call/text and I was just planning on buying the phone for $829 + taxes.

Does anyone know if there is any carrier promotion that would make me come out ahead after the 3 year mark? All the deals I’ve seen with the “free” phone would end up costing me more than twice by the time the contract expires, but thought I’d check here.
Visible is selling the 12 for $600 = $400 after the promo gift card when you transfer in a number. https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphone ... =MGH73LL/A

This is a fantastic deal. The 13 only has small improvements over the 12. Notably, the phone is unlocked, which is unusual with carrier deals. (ETA: policy changed, now they'll only unlock after 60 days, which is still very good.)
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

02nz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:15 pm
deanmoriarty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:40 pm Finally looking to upgrade this year from a beaten 6s to a 13 128GB, excited!

Visible is selling the 12 for $600 = $400 after the promo gift card when you transfer in a number. https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphone ... =MGH73LL/A

This is a fantastic deal. The 13 only has small improvements over the 12. Notably, the phone is unlocked, which is unusual with carrier deals.
It is a solid deal, but as of August 25, 2021, Visible has changed its unlocking policy. The new policy is still a lot more lenient than that of a lot of other carriers, but Visible's phones are now locked for 60 days (https://www.visible.com/help/device-unlocking-policy):

"What is Visible’s unlocking policy?

Smartphones that you purchase from Visible will be locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock unless we have determined or suspect that the device was lost, stolen, or purchased fraudulently.

Once the 60 day period following device activation expires, your phone will be unlocked."

Also note that in order to receive Visible's $200 gift card, you have to stay with Visible for 3 full months (it used to be 2 months).
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

cheapskate wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:59 am These deals usually box you into the carrier's highest rate plan (eg T-Mobile with it's Magenta Max requirement for these deals). If you are happy with your current plan, it may not make sense switching to the higher rate plan, just to get these deals, especially because the iPhone 13, if you were to get it today will easily last 4 years, if not 5 or 6. Year over year improvements in phones are starting to get marginal.

I am as cheap as they come, so I naturally investigated what T-Mobile has to offer by way of discounts on the new iPhones. I am grandfathered into an old, cheap T-Mobile plan that is no longer offered. Switching to Magenta Max to get the iPhone discounts is a lose for me. I am planning to place an order for the iPhone 13 Pro Max today with Apple.
This is 100% true. Look at the difference in prices! $40 basic plan jumps to $47/mo/line to qualify for free phone on T Mobile

No thank you! I've never bought unlocked phone directly from Apple, but may start.

I know rarely, some carriers offer :"Bring us any phone!" for trade-in.

And the diff in photo quality between my iPhone Xs vs even a 12 is pretty stark.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

SuperSaver wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:08 pm
cheapskate wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:59 am These deals usually box you into the carrier's highest rate plan (eg T-Mobile with it's Magenta Max requirement for these deals). If you are happy with your current plan, it may not make sense switching to the higher rate plan, just to get these deals, especially because the iPhone 13, if you were to get it today will easily last 4 years, if not 5 or 6. Year over year improvements in phones are starting to get marginal.

This is 100% true. Look at the difference in prices! $40 basic plan jumps to $47/mo/line to qualify for free phone on T Mobile

No thank you! I've never bought unlocked phone directly from Apple, but may start.

I know rarely, some carriers offer :"Bring us any phone!" for trade-in.

And the diff in photo quality between my iPhone Xs vs even a 12 is pretty stark.
All carriers have specific plans that qualify for these device subsidies, but it is generally not just the carrier's highest rate plan. With AT&T, for instance, I believe that all unlimited postpaid plans qualify, including legacy plans (the $75/mo reference that people have mentioned from AT&T's device trade-in promo has nothing whatsoever to do with the amount that people pay per month. This reference is to the pre-discounted rate in AT&T's system and isn't how much people are actually paying). If your current plan doesn't qualify, you obviously need to see whether changing rate plans would be worth it, or whether doing so would cause you to pay more than the value of the device subsidies that you'd receive.

My unlimited family plan with AT&T is $29.50/line. With all taxes and fees, it is roughly $35-$36/line/month. It is a true unlimited plan without throttling, has prioritized data (after, I believe, 50gb of data per line, it gets deprioritized for the remaining portion of the billing period), mobile hotspot and low latency, plus other postpaid perks, and qualifies for the device subsidies. In general, the subsidies end up being a minimum of $450/line, so over a 36 month period, it's $12.50/month. The plan also qualifies me for $50/month off AT&T's fiber service, $25/month off AT&T's tv service (which is on top of all promotional pricing) and free HBO Max for life.

The combination of these services then gets me AT&T's Platinum support (https://www.att.com/att/attthanks/en/tiers.html), which means virtually no hold times, the most experienced agents, etc...

We can't get even close to this level of service and pricing with any MVNO plans out there, and a ton of people out there have this setup. Similar types of discounted postpaid plans are still available (https://www.att.com/offers/discount-program/teacher/), and a lot of occupations and employers qualify for them.

In my case, my employer provides a set reimbursement for my wireless service and hardware, so the cost of my line and device end up being covered in full (or almost so). Even without such a reimbursement, however, there's no combination that involves a prepaid plan/MVNO that would make any sense in our case.

Obviously, YMMV, as it depends on the number of lines that you have, your usage, your occupation, your other services that you need to have anyway that you may be interested in bundling, etc...
Last edited by UALflyer on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

UALflyer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm
02nz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:15 pm

This is a fantastic deal. The 13 only has small improvements over the 12. Notably, the phone is unlocked, which is unusual with carrier deals.
It is a solid deal, but as of August 25, 2021, Visible has changed its unlocking policy. The new policy is still a lot more lenient than that of a lot of other carriers, but Visible's phones are now locked for 60 days (https://www.visible.com/help/device-unlocking-policy):

"What is Visible’s unlocking policy?

Smartphones that you purchase from Visible will be locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock unless we have determined or suspect that the device was lost, stolen, or purchased fraudulently.

Once the 60 day period following device activation expires, your phone will be unlocked."

Also note that in order to receive Visible's $200 gift card, you have to stay with Visible for 3 full months (it used to be 2 months).
Ah, good to know. I did a similar deal to get my iPhone 12, it came unlocked. The 2-month policy is still quite good, as you note.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

+1

I have an SE and the ‘battery health’ is at 99% after six months. You’ll likely find the camera quality to be comparable to your XR.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

marc in merrimack wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:38 am
+1

I have an SE and the ‘battery health’ is at 99% after six months. You’ll likely find the camera quality to be comparable to your XR.

That's great!

As for the camera, thanks for that info. It's not a bad camera but with the kids playing sports, a really good camera is worth the extra $$ for me. I'll wait a bit to upgrade.
Light weight baby!
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Barefoot, if you have (or can get and want to switch to) Xfinity internet, you can get a very good deal on a new iPhone or Android with $300 off....I paid $729 for a Samsung S20 FE about a month ago up front and just received my $300 VISA rebate card bringing the cost of the phone to only $429. Here you can see similar deals on iPhones (iPhone 13 is $829 with $300 rebate): https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/shop?category=device The deal is different than what I got, since I upgraded an old phone that was on Xfinity...you have to check details if you bring a phone in. I think you may need a plan, whereas I just got a $300 VISA card rebate on a phone I purchased outright that I can unlock in a short period of time. So read the fine print.

Plus, if you don't use much data you can get 1Gb of high speed 5G service for $15/mo with unlimited talk and text, and you can have as many lines as you want contributing to the total data count. Mine uses AT+T towers and the service is very good. I have yet to use over 1 Gb in a month- if you do you just pay for another Gb.

The catch is I think you have to use Xfinity for your internet server.