Electric Bike

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
almostretired1965

Electric Bike

Post by almostretired1965 »

Looking for some recommendations for an electric bike for around $1000. Usage scenario is mostly for riding on paved trails for pleasure and possibly for commuting to a job about 1.5 miles away from the house. Need to make the purchase by the end of the year, but flexible in terms of exact timing. For fitting purposes, I'm on the short side, 5'7" with 29 inch inseam. Never owned an electric. I have zero experience with decent bikes, mostly owned $200 to $300 hybrids bought at places like Target and Costco in the past that were fine for what I was looking for.
JoeRetire

Re: Electric Bike

Post by JoeRetire »

Check out Rad bikes: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/

Your $1000 target might be a bit low for a good e-bike.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:54 pm Check out Rad bikes: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/

Thanks. Rad Mission is $1000 without any options and I think it could fit the bill ...... Too bad the bundle that is on sale actually comes with crap I don't want like the fancy bike lock.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://electricbikereview.com/

OP,

Check out this web site for ebike review and key factors in buy an e-bike.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Whatever e-bike you get, make sure there is a bike shop in your city that can repair that kind. We had a $700 e-bike from China that worked for three years, but when the electronic control broke, none of the bike shops in town would try to fix it since they did not have manuals/access to spare parts.
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

Rad bikes seem like decent quality for the price. I know someone that has one and had put 1500 miles on it with no issues.

Most anything at your local bike shop will be quality but probably 2-3x the price. Still a bargain compared to the overhead of a car.
mspeas

Post by mspeas »

I ride regular road bikes. It is my passion so I'm good for maybe 6000 miles a year. I say this only to point out have experience with various brands.

You may wish to consider the Ebikes being introduced by name bike mfgs. Specialized or Trek for example. You can get service with a name brand, plus the components will be decent stuff. Usually Bosch electrical stuff and Shimano gearing etc. Price will be significantly above 1K. Probably nearer 3K.

I've see ebikes on road and they are nice.
Point

Post by Point »

I have a RAD, and have enjoyed it. Until my first flat tire. Try changing the rear tube in the field --- what an effort.

The weight of the bike and the difficulty of a rear wheel motor with all the attachments is a pain.

Look at options with the motor in the crank / bottom bracket area. This leaves you with a regular tire in the front and the rear -- so much easier to repair flats.

Ask yourself: can I easily lift this bike into my car or truck if I need to.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Point wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:45 am I have a RAD, and have enjoyed it. Until my first flat tire. Try changing the rear tube in the field --- what an effort.

The weight of the bike and the difficulty of a rear wheel motor with all the attachments is a pain.

Look at options with the motor in the crank / bottom bracket area. This leaves you with a regular tire in the front and the rear -- so much easier to repair flats.

There are other issues with mid-drive, most importantly that they cause significantly more wear and tear on the drivetrain. If you get mid-drive, be prepare to replace a lot of chains and if that chain breaks while you are riding, you are stranded. Mid-drive is mostly chosen for performance (more torque, lighter weight, better balance) and not reliability. There is a give and take, I chose hub drive.

Flats are a hassle, which is why we use https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-armour.
Last edited by stoptothink on Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

If you want more info on ebike motors check out the Propel ebike channel on youtube. They are an Ebike only dealer in NYC and CA that only sells Bosch equipped bikes.
Last edited by blueberrypi on Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Point wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:45 am I have a RAD, and have enjoyed it. Until my first flat tire. Try changing the rear tube in the field --- what an effort.

Well said
Great points

The last issue of weight and bulk is what finally dissuaded DW and I from Electric Bikes. We wanted to be able to transport them to various fun riding and scenic places.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
anon3838

Post by anon3838 »

Have a look at Ride1up.

For bike mechanic assistance, look for a mobile bike service…
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I like bicycles, electric motors and used to enjoy motorcyles. This is an interesting video concerning commuting safety on an electric bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM8Xli2 ... l=FortNine
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:20 am

Well said
Great points

The last issue of weight and bulk is what finally dissuaded DW and I from Electric Bikes. We wanted to be able to transport them to various fun riding and scenic places.

j🌺
Have you check up folding electric bike? They might be lighter and they can fit in your trunk.

My folding electric bike is 45 pounds with the battery. But, it is discontinued.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
nura

Post by nura »

I have an Aventon Level, 750w, 8-speed, can be unlocked to 28mph and returns about 40 miles with moderate pedaling
Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad »

Well said
Great points

j🌺
Agree with this one. Hoping weight and price comes down as we get older and, ahem, the need for one gets greater :) Hope that's not for a while. Meanwhile, very happy that e-bikes enable more people to get out there...resulting, in part, to more support for continual development of rail-trails.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Dinosaur Dad wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 am

Well said
Great points

j🌺
Agree with this one. Hoping weight and price comes down as we get older and, ahem, the need for one gets greater :) Hope that's not for a while. Meanwhile, very happy that e-bikes enable more people to get out there...resulting, in part, to more support for continual development of rail-trails.
I don't see weight and pricing going down dramatically anytime soon. The weight is all in the batteries, the motors and controllers don't actually weigh a whole lot. Pricing is actually pretty comparable to acoustic bikes in general, but e-bike production is even more constrained because of the chip shortage so there is definitely some price gouging (and waiting).
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:04 am
Dinosaur Dad wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 am

Well said
Great points

j🌺
I don't see weight and pricing going down dramatically anytime soon. The weight is all in the batteries, the motors and controllers don't actually weigh a whole lot. Pricing is actually pretty comparable to acoustic bikes in general, but e-bike production is even more constrained because of the chip shortage so there is definitely some price gouging (and waiting).
Most the batteries are removable. It helps in some circumstances.

KlangFool
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

Rad power bikes seem like a decent value and a top contender in the US.

Other options I looked at…
Van moof - https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/x3?color=dark
Trek - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... rCode=blue
Specialized - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo ... 701-200354

Van moof seemed a risk due to non standard parts and having to ship to a repair center.
The specialized looks super nice but $$$.
Trek seems middle of the road. Still a fair chunk of change.

Decided to stick with a normal bike for a while longer. Eyeing one of these perhaps: https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2022-larkspur-1

If you’ve only ridden a department store bike in the past you might drop by your local bike shop and take some test rides on a variety of commuter and cruiser bikes. If I had a $1000 budget, I’d strongly consider a high quality regular bike - especially if your commute is on the flat side.
My other vehicle is an index fund.
you

Post by you »

For $1000, Rad is probably your best option. In my city, 7/10 ebikes I see are Rad bikes. Many are happy with them, but if you get a lemon they can be difficult to service. Make sure you have a good local dealer who can keep it running.

Propel YouTube channel is a decent resource, but is exclusively Bosch, and, therefore, skews far above your budget.

ElectricBikeReview.com would be a much better resource for your desired budget.

I also agree with above poster who recommended you consider a higher quality manual bike, especially if you don’t anticipate carrying heavy loads up steep hills.

That said, I love ebikes, and spent the better part of a year researching, before finally purchasing a high end bakfiet/box bike. I use it for everything from family camping trips to daycare pickup/drop off to Costco runs. Best of luck on your search!
randles

Post by randles »

DW and I rented RadCity bikes a few weeks ago and were very impressed. However, I'm considering converting our Trek Hybrids to electric sometime in the near future. Kits are available, costs seem reasonable, and the total weight of our existing bikes will be under 45 lbs each with the conversion. Plenty of conversion channels on YouTube such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bst14ThxIM .

Good luck!
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

For a mile and a half commute, I’d just get a good quality regular bike.

My wife has a Pedego which is way above your price point but she loves the bike and our local shop.
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

Well said
Great points

j🌺
There are different options for add-on electric conversion kits like Swytch or ONEmotor that don't add on much weight. These two provide portability and different mechanisms for delivering the e-assist.

I'm eyeing the ONEmotor as a possibility due to its portability and ability to plop it on to multiple bikes.

Also, Bike Friday and Bromptom make great lightweight folding electric bikes! BikeFriday- custom handmade bikes made in Oregon. Bromptom- UK, not custom but has options, a great compact fold and very cute!
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

almostretired1965 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:52 pm Looking for some recommendations for an electric bike for around $1000. Usage scenario is mostly for riding on paved trails for pleasure and possibly for commuting to a job about 1.5 miles away from the house. Need to make the purchase by the end of the year, but flexible in terms of exact timing. For fitting purposes, I'm on the short side, 5'7" with 29 inch inseam. Never owned an electric. I have zero experience with decent bikes, mostly owned $200 to $300 hybrids bought at places like Target and Costco in the past that were fine for what I was looking for.
OP- for a 1.5 mile commute, you can easily walk, scoot or bike (on nearly any kind of bike). Why not just try a traditional bike first? I would recommend a commuter bike- more upright riding style provides great visibility and comfort, fenders, dynamo hub with built in front/rear lights, internal hub gears etc.

And because your sitting more upright (like sitting on a chair) you don't require special stretchy clothes, just your regular work clothes.

Take your time cycling so you don't get too sweaty and enjoy the ride on your own pedal power!
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

almostretired1965 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:52 pm Looking for some recommendations for an electric bike for around $1000. Usage scenario is mostly for riding on paved trails for pleasure and possibly for commuting to a job about 1.5 miles away from the house. Need to make the purchase by the end of the year, but flexible in terms of exact timing. For fitting purposes, I'm on the short side, 5'7" with 29 inch inseam. Never owned an electric. I have zero experience with decent bikes, mostly owned $200 to $300 hybrids bought at places like Target and Costco in the past that were fine for what I was looking for.
Sorry, but better eBikes will require more than 3K easily.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:56 am

Well said
Great points

j🌺
Have you check up folding electric bike? They might be lighter and they can fit in your trunk.

My folding electric bike is 45 pounds with the battery. But, it is discontinued.

KlangFool
There are now mid 20 pounds electric bikes from specialized but not cheap. 6K and above.
squirm

Post by squirm »

freckles01 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:36 am
OP- for a 1.5 mile commute, you can easily walk, scoot or bike (on nearly any kind of bike). Why not just try a traditional bike first? I would recommend a commuter bike- more upright riding style provides great visibility and comfort, fenders, dynamo hub with built in front/rear lights, internal hub gears etc.

And because your sitting more upright (like sitting on a chair) you don't require special stretchy clothes, just your regular work clothes.

Take your time cycling so you don't get too sweaty and enjoy the ride on your own pedal power!
I was going to say the same thing. Just walk or pedal it.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

gubernaculum wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:44 am

Well said
Great points

j🌺

KlangFool
There are now mid 20 pounds electric bikes from specialized but not cheap. 6K and above.
Could you please send the link/model #?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

freckles01 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:22 am

Well said
Great points

j🌺
There are different options for add-on electric conversion kits like Swytch or ONEmotor that don't add on much weight. These two provide portability and different mechanisms for delivering the e-assist.

I'm eyeing the ONEmotor as a possibility due to its portability and ability to plop it on to multiple bikes.

Also, Bike Friday and Bromptom make great lightweight folding electric bikes! BikeFriday- custom handmade bikes made in Oregon. Bromptom- UK, not custom but has options, a great compact fold and very cute!
Yes. This is very true.
My son did a conversion on my hybrid mountain bike and it came out well. But still added quite a bit of weight and changed the balance and feel of the bike. I ended up giving it to him. He was able to ride around a hilly neighborhood with himself and his young son on a bike carrier in back, and a backpack with ease. If good components and if installed properly, yes, these add on's can fit the bill.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:47 am

Well said
Great points

j🌺

KlangFool

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/electric-bikes

check out Turbo CREO SL, Turbo CREO SL EVO
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

gubernaculum wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:46 pm
KlangFool wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:47 am
Well said
Great points

j🌺

KlangFool

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/electric-bikes

check out Turbo CREO SL, Turbo CREO SL EVO
Thanks.

KlangFool
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Wife and I purchased Magnum brand electric bikes 4 years ago. Both bikes have been flawless as far as reliability.

I'm closing in on 10,000 miles. Third set of tires, second set of brakes, second chain, second battery, one broken spoke but absolutely no reliability issues.

I ride mostly paved trails, but I hop curbs, ride up and down steps and basically go over and through whatever I want. I have their Peak model with 29 inch tires. It's the perfect urban assault bike.

Brand quality from what I can tell is very good, but you'll have to go a bit above your $1,000 price target.
rob

Post by rob »

I went with Himiway a year ago and it's a blast BUT they are big and heavy - pictures just don't get close.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:07 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:01 am

There are other issues with mid-drive, most importantly that they cause significantly more wear and tear on the drivetrain. If you get mid-drive, be prepare to replace a lot of chains and if that chain breaks while you are riding, you are stranded. Mid-drive is mostly chosen for performance (more torque, lighter weight, better balance) and not reliability. There is a give and take, I chose hub drive.

Flats are a hassle, which is why we use https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-armour.
You just need to be careful not to be putting a lot of torque on the cranks when you're shifting. Then there's no problem with the motor causing damage to the drivetrain. As for breaking chains, all you need to carry with you is a simple extra chain link and a $15 tool to reattach the chain if need be. No reason to be stranded. And I do agree with the earlier poster that said that rear drives are a very big pain when trying to change a flat.
It's simple for someone with some basic bike knowledge and experience (which absolutely includes me), but not for OP who has no experience with anything but a basic bike. You're going to get most serious riders suggesting mid-drive because of the performance advantages, but if reliability and cost are primary concerns, hub drives are almost always a better option. OP is looking for a VERY cheap e-bike for short rides on paved roads; shouldn't even bother attempting to look at a mid-drive.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Just my opinion... but why go cheap? Just get a decent bike in the 4K-5k range that will be able to do anything you MIGHT want to do with it. Then if you decide to take a single track off the gravel road you’re all good. Get a bike you can grow into.

Intro bikes could be Trek Powerfly or the Fazarri Wired Peak. If you want next level check out Santa Cruz Heckler or Specialized Levo.

I’m more of a buy once and enjoy for a long time than buy cheap and have to constantly upgrade kind of person.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Monsterflockster wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm Just my opinion... but why go cheap? Just get a decent bike in the 4K-5k range that will be able to do anything you MIGHT want to do with it. Then if you decide to take a single track off the gravel road you’re all good. Get a bike you can grow into.

Intro bikes could be Trek Powerfly or the Fazarri Wired Peak. If you want next level check out Santa Cruz Heckler or Specialized Levo.

I’m more of a buy once and enjoy for a long time than buy cheap and have to constantly upgrade kind of person.
"Usage scenario is mostly for riding on paved trails for pleasure and possibly for commuting to a job about 1.5 miles away from the house."

OP could spend a little more (well, 5x+ more then the aforementioned Rad mission) on a Riese & Muller, but the bikes you suggested are certainly not the best tool for their usage scenario.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

almostretired1965 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:07 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:54 pm Check out Rad bikes: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/

Thanks. Rad Mission is $1000 without any options and I think it could fit the bill ...... Too bad the bundle that is on sale actually comes with crap I don't want like the fancy bike lock.
+1 on the RAD products. I have the Rad Rover (Fat Tire e-Bike) and DW has the RAD City Step Thru e-Bike. They are soooo much fun to ride. I am a bigger guy, so I really like the Fat Tire bike on the bumpy Michigan roads and paved trails. While they have a throttle only option on all the bikes, we like the Power Assisted Pedal mode as you still need to pedal the bike. Going up hills is a breeze. Don't let other's shame you that an e-bike is not biking. This opinion is totally wrong as you still need to move your legs and use your core for balance, which is excellent exercise. You will find yourself going 3x farther than planned, in the same amount of time and have a blast doing it. These e-bikes make us feel young again. I also believe that your $1K target may be a bit on the low side. Depending on the model, a well equipped RAD will run you $1.3K - $2K. Something to also consider is that these e-bikes are very heavy (65 - 75 lbs), so riding without a battery or a dead battery will be hard if not exhausting. Depending on your weight you will get 30 - 45 miles per charge, so plan accordingly. Also, if you plan to transport the e-bike you will need a heavy duty bike rack, so plan on another $300 - $500 expenditure (if you do not have a pickup truck). You will not be disappointed. :beer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Also, if you plan to transport the e-bike you will need a heavy duty bike rack, so plan on another $300 - $500 expenditure (if you do not have a pickup truck). You will not be disappointed. :beer
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fultyme-RV-1 ... /692554514 Supposedly this rack is rebranded by name brand manufacturers and sold for 50%-250% more. Have two friends that have one with zero issues and we have one sitting in our garage awaiting the arrival of our ~85lbs ebikes. Just sign up to get an email alert when they come back in stock.
fatcoffeedrinker

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
fatcoffeedrinker

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

In Phoenix, there is an ebike importer, so there is local service on their products. I don't remember the name. Look for an ebike importer/seller if you live in a city, with the risk that they might be gone when your bike from them, does need service.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

For the riding described by the OP, the Rad should be fine.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

https://lectricebikes.com/products/xp-s ... 18QAvD_BwE

DW has one of these.

Fold in half and handle bars fold as well.

Excellent build quality.

If you pull the battery pack, it lessens the weight quite a bit.

It can go scary fast.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:44 pm

Also, if you plan to transport the e-bike you will need a heavy duty bike rack, so plan on another $300 - $500 expenditure (if you do not have a pickup truck). You will not be disappointed. :beer
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fultyme-RV-1 ... /692554514 Supposedly this rack is rebranded by name brand manufacturers and sold for 50%-250% more. Have two friends that have one with zero issues and we have one sitting in our garage awaiting the arrival of our ~85lbs ebikes. Just sign up to get an email alert when they come back in stock.
I had a similar style (Swagway) and it failed, throwing my bike into the highway. Bike was fortunately fine but I'd have a hard time recommending it for heavy use.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:03 am

I had a similar style (Swagway) and it failed, throwing my bike into the highway. Bike was fortunately fine but I'd have a hard time recommending it for heavy use.
You are always taking a risk with a hitch-mounted rack, spending 7x as much for a Kuat or the like doesn't change that. If you want ultimate safety, it needs to be inside your car or the bed of a truck. This one has hundreds of good reviews on different sites (I've been told from a Hollywoodwood racks owner that it is pretty much indistinguishable from the rack they bought for $500), my two friends have never had an issue, and it is the one recommended over and over again on the Reddit e-bike forum. I can tell you it is very sturdily built. I'll take my chances.

I've had a ($30 Allen) trunk mounted rack for ~20yrs, 10's of thousands of miles on it with zero issues. Then again, it wasn't carrying 170lbs. of bikes. We'll see.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:08 am For a mile and a half commute, I’d just get a good quality regular bike.

My wife has a Pedego which is way above your price point but she loves the bike and our local shop.
DW and I have Pedegos and love them. Our dealer sells used ones occasionally.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

If I might venture ... for the leisure applications and commuting distances you talk about ...

would you not just be better having a sturdy mountain/ commuter bike?

You would get the benefit of the exercise. The value to a thief would be less. Main consideration might be traffic but if you are concerned about traffic then an e-bike won't resolve that -- you are still pretty vulnerable.

It just doesn't seem that you have an issue in terms of distances and necessary speed that you need an e-bike? And going faster is certainly not safer (if you do come off).
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:21 am
getthatmarshmallow wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:03 am

You are always taking a risk with a hitch-mounted rack, spending 7x as much for a Kuat or the like doesn't change that. If you want ultimate safety, it needs to be inside your car or the bed of a truck. This one has hundreds of good reviews on different sites (I've been told from a Hollywoodwood racks owner that it is pretty much indistinguishable from the rack they bought for $500), my two friends have never had an issue, and it is the one recommended over and over again on the Reddit e-bike forum. I can tell you it is very sturdily built. I'll take my chances.

I've had a ($30 Allen) trunk mounted rack for ~20yrs, 10's of thousands of miles on it with zero issues. Then again, it wasn't carrying 170lbs. of bikes. We'll see.
The part that failed was the bit where the wheel sits, not at the hitch. It slid off the arm -- I guess it vibrated loose as we had just tightened it. Thought I'd mention it as that model seems to have the same style of tray. Although if you have a truck, the tailgate pad seems to be the preferred choice of many anyway.

OP, at your price point, I'd be looking for a used ebike, at least were it pre-COVID -- something like the Trek Verve probably fits your use case pretty well. But I also might not rule out an acoustic bike. For a 1.5 mile commute or paved bike path riding, an e-bike seems like overkill unless there are some serious hills involved.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 am
If I might venture ... for the leisure applications and commuting distances you talk about ...

would you not just be better having a sturdy mountain/ commuter bike?

You would get the benefit of the exercise. The value to a thief would be less. Main consideration might be traffic but if you are concerned about traffic then an e-bike won't resolve that -- you are still pretty vulnerable.

It just doesn't seem that you have an issue in terms of distances and necessary speed that you need an e-bike? And going faster is certainly not safer (if you do come off).
Yup agree.

As great as e-bikes for, they are actually not as good for the applications the OP has in mind - a 1.5 mi commute (unless there are major hills) and recreational paved trail riding. A regular bike is cheaper, easier to maintain, lighter, and there are more choices. And even if you don't like it, you can def resell it for nearly as much as you paid for it in the current market.

This is one where the ebike will likely bring more headache than is warranted. And I'm 100% for more e-bike usage!