Electric Bike

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: Electric Bike

Post by stoptothink »

lightheir wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 am
Valuethinker wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 am
almostretired1965 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:52 pm Looking for some recommendations for an electric bike for around $1000. Usage scenario is mostly for riding on paved trails for pleasure and possibly for commuting to a job about 1.5 miles away from the house. Need to make the purchase by the end of the year, but flexible in terms of exact timing. For fitting purposes, I'm on the short side, 5'7" with 29 inch inseam. Never owned an electric. I have zero experience with decent bikes, mostly owned $200 to $300 hybrids bought at places like Target and Costco in the past that were fine for what I was looking for.
If I might venture ... for the leisure applications and commuting distances you talk about ...

would you not just be better having a sturdy mountain/ commuter bike?

You would get the benefit of the exercise. The value to a thief would be less. Main consideration might be traffic but if you are concerned about traffic then an e-bike won't resolve that -- you are still pretty vulnerable.

It just doesn't seem that you have an issue in terms of distances and necessary speed that you need an e-bike? And going faster is certainly not safer (if you do come off).
Yup agree.

As great as e-bikes for, they are actually not as good for the applications the OP has in mind - a 1.5 mi commute (unless there are major hills) and recreational paved trail riding. A regular bike is cheaper, easier to maintain, lighter, and there are more choices. And even if you don't like it, you can def resell it for nearly as much as you paid for it in the current market.

This is one where the ebike will likely bring more headache than is warranted. And I'm 100% for more e-bike usage!
For OP's use case, totally agree.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThreeBears

Post by ThreeBears »

If I were recommending a bike to a friend, I would recommend this one. https://arielrider.com/products/rideal

It'll have more power and battery then most RAD bikes. It's an amazing deal.

Compare spec to spec, I doubt you'll find a better deal.

I personally own this bike. https://arielrider.com/products/m-class ... -mid-drive

It's a good bike.
OnAwingAndaPrayer

Post by OnAwingAndaPrayer »

I can recommend this Himiway Fat Tire one: https://himiwaybike.com/products/

I bought this RadRover Step-Thru: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/ ... -tire-bike
[links edited by Moderator Misenplace]
DH and I got one of each during the lock-down. Things to note: The appearance of the bikes are very similar; both are Fat-Tire (handles riding on uneven and/or gravel surfaces in a sturdy manner); the Himiway had a longer warranty than the Radrover; the Himiway has noticeably more battery life/power; on a battery charge, my bike gets about 35 miles and the Himiway gets double that number; they both are lots of fun to ride. We were not sure about how much we would like them, so my DH build a 2x4 wooden rack for the back of the truck. The front wheels of the bikes are rolled into the appropriately snug-spaced slots and then cheap ratcheted tie-downs are used to further stabilize the bikes as they stand up. Since we always ride together, it's no problem to load the 70-pound bikes by rolling them up a cheap ramp to the tailgate as one person is on the bed and guiding / securing the bikes. See similar idea for bike "rack" at the following website:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/need-ideas ... ks.993686/

Happy to answer any questions. (Unfortunately, these bikes were both a few hundred $$ cheaper last year)
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:17 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:21 am
getthatmarshmallow wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:03 am
stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:44 pm
AllMostThere wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Also, if you plan to transport the e-bike you will need a heavy duty bike rack, so plan on another $300 - $500 expenditure (if you do not have a pickup truck). You will not be disappointed. :beer
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fultyme-RV-1 ... /692554514 Supposedly this rack is rebranded by name brand manufacturers and sold for 50%-250% more. Have two friends that have one with zero issues and we have one sitting in our garage awaiting the arrival of our ~85lbs ebikes. Just sign up to get an email alert when they come back in stock.
I had a similar style (Swagway) and it failed, throwing my bike into the highway. Bike was fortunately fine but I'd have a hard time recommending it for heavy use.
You are always taking a risk with a hitch-mounted rack, spending 7x as much for a Kuat or the like doesn't change that. If you want ultimate safety, it needs to be inside your car or the bed of a truck. This one has hundreds of good reviews on different sites (I've been told from a Hollywoodwood racks owner that it is pretty much indistinguishable from the rack they bought for $500), my two friends have never had an issue, and it is the one recommended over and over again on the Reddit e-bike forum. I can tell you it is very sturdily built. I'll take my chances.

I've had a ($30 Allen) trunk mounted rack for ~20yrs, 10's of thousands of miles on it with zero issues. Then again, it wasn't carrying 170lbs. of bikes. We'll see.
I love this one. Fits 4 bikes, but is in two pieces, so you can remove the back half if you only need it for 2 bikes. Very durable, has a crank device that tightens the mount against the pin so it doesn't wobble and rock solid holder of the bikes with the combination of the wheel straps and the J-hooks. I used to have a rack with a similar design, but different brand, and the J-hooks would slip when the vehicle bounced because they were just tightened with a knob, and there were no wheel straps to hold the wheels in the holders over bumbs. These J-hooks have internal compression springs that do not budge one centimeter when driving over bumbs. It is pricey, but I have found it very worth it. We have quite expensive e-bikes (2 Specialized Turbo Levos) and two traditional mountain bikes, total cost around $25K. I trust them on this rack.

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Racks- ... B07YMKVHVP
Get a 1Up hitch bike rack. The idea of spending that much on bikes and trying save a few bucks on a rack is ludicrous to me. Get the best, buy once.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Also, if you plan to transport the e-bike you will need a heavy duty bike rack, so plan on another $300 - $500 expenditure (if you do not have a pickup truck). You will not be disappointed. :beer
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fultyme-RV-1 ... /692554514 Supposedly this rack is rebranded by name brand manufacturers and sold for 50%-250% more. Have two friends that have one with zero issues and we have one sitting in our garage awaiting the arrival of our ~85lbs ebikes. Just sign up to get an email alert when they come back in stock.
I had a similar style (Swagway) and it failed, throwing my bike into the highway. Bike was fortunately fine but I'd have a hard time recommending it for heavy use.
You are always taking a risk with a hitch-mounted rack, spending 7x as much for a Kuat or the like doesn't change that. If you want ultimate safety, it needs to be inside your car or the bed of a truck. This one has hundreds of good reviews on different sites (I've been told from a Hollywoodwood racks owner that it is pretty much indistinguishable from the rack they bought for $500), my two friends have never had an issue, and it is the one recommended over and over again on the Reddit e-bike forum. I can tell you it is very sturdily built. I'll take my chances.

I've had a ($30 Allen) trunk mounted rack for ~20yrs, 10's of thousands of miles on it with zero issues. Then again, it wasn't carrying 170lbs. of bikes. We'll see.
I love this one. Fits 4 bikes, but is in two pieces, so you can remove the back half if you only need it for 2 bikes. Very durable, has a crank device that tightens the mount against the pin so it doesn't wobble and rock solid holder of the bikes with the combination of the wheel straps and the J-hooks. I used to have a rack with a similar design, but different brand, and the J-hooks would slip when the vehicle bounced because they were just tightened with a knob, and there were no wheel straps to hold the wheels in the holders over bumbs. These J-hooks have internal compression springs that do not budge one centimeter when driving over bumbs. It is pricey, but I have found it very worth it. We have quite expensive e-bikes (2 Specialized Turbo Levos) and two traditional mountain bikes, total cost around $25K. I trust them on this rack.

That is one is similar to the Hollywood racks unit that a colleague told me is indistinguishable from the Fultyme RV rack I linked. You can tell this one is different though and it is only rated for 50lbs/bike - a lot of ebikes are 50+lbs, mine exceed that by a lot (~85+ with both batteries, still over 50 with them both off). I bought the Fultyme RV rack primarily because it is recommended so much on the Reddit e-bike forum, and then found out two buddies already had it.

Our bikes aren't scheduled to arrive until November (ordered in February, that's how crazy the e-bike market is), so it'll be a while, but I'll definitely post on here if the rack doesn't meet our needs.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Monsterflockster wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:15 am

Get a 1Up hitch bike rack. The idea of spending that much on bikes and trying save a few bucks on a rack is ludicrous to me. Get the best, buy once.
1Up, as far as I know, does not make a rack capable of handling 50+lbs. bikes. There are very few on the market, period. A lot of people are just going for dirtbike racks.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ThreeBears wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:06 pm If I were recommending a bike to a friend, I would recommend this one. https://arielrider.com/products/rideal

It'll have more power and battery then most RAD bikes. It's an amazing deal.

Compare spec to spec, I doubt you'll find a better deal.

I personally own this bike. https://arielrider.com/products/m-class ... -mid-drive

It's a good bike.
Ariel has a good reputation for being a solid budget choice. The https://arielrider.com/products/x-class is very popular on the forums, it outperforms anything in the price range.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:25 am

1Up, as far as I know, does not make a rack capable of handling 50+lbs. bikes. There are very few on the market, period. A lot of people are just going for dirtbike racks.
They do have a line (Super Duty) that can handle 75lb, iirc.
fatcoffeedrinker

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatcoffeedrinker

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:15 am
lightheir wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 am
Valuethinker wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 am
almostretired1965 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:52 pm Looking for some recommendations for an electric bike for around $1000. Usage scenario is mostly for riding on paved trails for pleasure and possibly for commuting to a job about 1.5 miles away from the house. Need to make the purchase by the end of the year, but flexible in terms of exact timing. For fitting purposes, I'm on the short side, 5'7" with 29 inch inseam. Never owned an electric. I have zero experience with decent bikes, mostly owned $200 to $300 hybrids bought at places like Target and Costco in the past that were fine for what I was looking for.
If I might venture ... for the leisure applications and commuting distances you talk about ...

would you not just be better having a sturdy mountain/ commuter bike?

You would get the benefit of the exercise. The value to a thief would be less. Main consideration might be traffic but if you are concerned about traffic then an e-bike won't resolve that -- you are still pretty vulnerable.

It just doesn't seem that you have an issue in terms of distances and necessary speed that you need an e-bike? And going faster is certainly not safer (if you do come off).
Yup agree.

As great as e-bikes for, they are actually not as good for the applications the OP has in mind - a 1.5 mi commute (unless there are major hills) and recreational paved trail riding. A regular bike is cheaper, easier to maintain, lighter, and there are more choices. And even if you don't like it, you can def resell it for nearly as much as you paid for it in the current market.

This is one where the ebike will likely bring more headache than is warranted. And I'm 100% for more e-bike usage!
For OP's use case, totally agree.
I was thinking the same thing. Unless the OP is pedaling in extreme heat and doesn't want to get sweaty before work. Figure at 1.5 miles, that's maybe a 10 minute ride. Plus a regular bike will likely be better to increase fitness and should be cheaper upfront and long term.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I recently bought my sweetie a Magnum folding e-bike for ~$1500. It fits in the trunk of my Hyundai Elantra, has very good range and is quite comfortable to ride, though more expensive than your price point.

I sometimes ride it as well and it's loads of fun.

I agree with the above comments about conventional bikes being less hassle, but an e-bike, for me, fills a different niche that is complimentary. When I am in no hurry and am riding for exercise or , say, just riding into town I would ride my standard bike. But if I want to get somewhere faster and still get exercise and fresh air, not worry about parking, etc...or if I just want to have more fun....I take the e-bike. Speed is fun. Think of it as something between a bike and a motorcycle, with the big advantage over a motorcycle in that you can just lock it up anywhere, not rely on fuel and (with difficulty) carry it around if necessary. And you can get as much exercise as you want by pedaling harder and using less electric assist. Turn the assist off and you get more exercise pedaling that 55 lb monster than your regular bike! Or pedal hard and go 20 mph instead of 15 or 12 or whatever with the same amount of effort and your chosen assist level. It is also more comfortable since you can sit erect with little concern about wind resistance.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 am
stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am

That is one is similar to the Hollywood racks unit that a colleague told me is indistinguishable from the Fultyme RV rack I linked. You can tell this one is different though and it is only rated for 50lbs/bike - a lot of ebikes are 50+lbs, mine exceed that by a lot (~85+ with both batteries, still over 50 with them both off). I bought the Fultyme RV rack primarily because it is recommended so much on the Reddit e-bike forum, and then found out two buddies already had it.

Our bikes aren't scheduled to arrive until November (ordered in February, that's how crazy the e-bike market is), so it'll be a while, but I'll definitely post on here if the rack doesn't meet our needs.
85 lbs for a bike? Wow. Ours are both under 50 lbs with a 700 mAh battery that will last 50-80 miles depending on the terrain and level of power one uses.
Many e-bikes are 100+, especially the increasingly popular cafe racer look-alikes. Our bikes are full-suspension fat bikes, with 1500w of power, enough battery for 80-100 miles, and the option to switch between RWD/FWD/2WD. I wanted something that would not only become my primary source of transportation, but that I could take off with - for an entire day - in the snow. That doesn't come light.
fatcoffeedrinker

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:56 am

I didn't know that spending $600 on a high quality rack was skimping. Have you actually tried this rack or are you just knocking it with no real knowledge just so you can tout your fave brand? :oops:
Guess I hit reply to the wrong post, I was referring to the $30 trunk mounted rack. I have no idea why they would say a trunk mounted rack is better than a hitch.

On another note I did look at the link and no way would I ever have a rack that rubs the frame. But that’s me.
fatcoffeedrinker

Deleted
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:58 am
stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 am
fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 am
stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am

85 lbs for a bike? Wow. Ours are both under 50 lbs with a 700 mAh battery that will last 50-80 miles depending on the terrain and level of power one uses.
Many e-bikes are 100+, especially the increasingly popular cafe racer look-alikes. Our bikes are full-suspension fat bikes, with 1500w of power, enough battery for 80-100 miles, and the option to switch between RWD/FWD/2WD. I wanted something that would not only become my primary source of transportation, but that I could take off with - for an entire day - in the snow. That doesn't come light.
Definitively different use than us. I just wanted a high end full suspension mountain bike where I could climb super steep hills that I couldn't do with a regular bike, but still come ripping down a single track. Even high 40# is not as nimble as my carbon Yeti regular mountain bike, so I have to be a little more careful on tight turns. I can't imagine taking an 85-100# mountain bike fast down an aggressive single track.
Thousands of miles of gravel and mild trail riding, but single track is not my jam. Considering I am still recovering from a broken back (pair of compression fractures, 4 bulging discs, bone spurs, wedging) from a road cycling accident over a year ago (my last was over 15yrs and ~100,000 miles ago), I'm not looking to add any more aggressive riding.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:08 am For a mile and a half commute, I’d just get a good quality regular bike.
Agree. A hybrid, or a geared comfort would do fine at this distance, unless there are some insane hills in that 1.5 miles.

I got a pair of ebikeling front hub motors to haul kids. Luckily haven't gotten a flat tire, but do use slime in the tubes.
~$350 for the kit, and another ~$500 for the battery. A few bucks for X90 connectors, and about an hour to solder them. Another couple of hours to route on the bikes. Got a DC power supply to charge.
Probably about 1500 miles on one, and 2000 on the other so far.

My bike has way better components than the Rads, looks better, and weighs less. One of those Tourney rear derailleurs fell apart during a ride (installed on the half bike).
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

This is more than you wanted to spend, but I bought a Verve+ 2 and have been extraordinarily happy with it. The bike store adjusts it, no problem. It comes with the back rack, lights and I bought a couple of bags that attach to carry things to work, when the weather is nice. One could spend a lot more, but in this price range, this bike is a good-quality product that will last a good while and is comfortable and fun to ride. It comes with extra-heavy duty tires that seem to avoid getting flats.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... rCode=blue
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 am Many e-bikes are 100+, especially the increasingly popular cafe racer look-alikes. Our bikes are full-suspension fat bikes, with 1500w of power, enough battery for 80-100 miles, and the option to switch between RWD/FWD/2WD. I wanted something that would not only become my primary source of transportation, but that I could take off with - for an entire day - in the snow. That doesn't come light.
Okay, you now have my interest. I have the Rad Rover, but I am now curious about your bike. What type of e-bike is this? I like the 100 mile range & 1500W power idea. Got a link for further research? :sharebeer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

wow, 1.5kw ~2hp. this is literally in moped category, 50cc fueled or electric
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

teniralc wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 pm This is more than you wanted to spend, but I bought a Verve+ 2 and have been extraordinarily happy with it. The bike store adjusts it, no problem. It comes with the back rack, lights and I bought a couple of bags that attach to carry things to work, when the weather is nice. One could spend a lot more, but in this price range, this bike is a good-quality product that will last a good while and is comfortable and fun to ride. It comes with extra-heavy duty tires that seem to avoid getting flats.
+1. Got one last year, absolutely love it. So smooth and comfy!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

AllMostThere wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:02 am
stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 am Many e-bikes are 100+, especially the increasingly popular cafe racer look-alikes. Our bikes are full-suspension fat bikes, with 1500w of power, enough battery for 80-100 miles, and the option to switch between RWD/FWD/2WD. I wanted something that would not only become my primary source of transportation, but that I could take off with - for an entire day - in the snow. That doesn't come light.
Okay, you now have my interest. I have the Rad Rover, but I am now curious about your bike. What type of e-bike is this? I like the 100 mile range & 1500W power idea. Got a link for further research? :sharebeer
https://eunorau-ebike.com/products/2021 ... -tire-bike. We preordered, so saved $800 on the base price plus got all the accessories (including the extra battery) for free. Insane deal, except we are waiting at least 9 months from order to delivery. Depending on how much assist you use (with extra 48v17ah battery), range could be 30 miles or 100+; as a lifelong cyclist with a large gas tank, I'm being optimistic. E-cells super monarch crown is very similar https://ecells.com/product/e-cells-supe ... ad-e-bike/

As I mentioned, my biggest use case is long days in the snow, so fat tires and a lot of range were a must. I've played around with 2WD bikes a bit and there is definitely some added utility in some conditions. This is definitely not something you'd want to take on any aggressive MTB trail, but perfect for my needs. You have to find the right tool for you.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:01 am
Point wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:45 am I have a RAD, and have enjoyed it. Until my first flat tire. Try changing the rear tube in the field --- what an effort
Flats are a hassle, which is why we use https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-armour.
This product looks great!!! I ride about 5000 miles a year... usually end up with a flat or 2... I think this could be my next purchase.
IMO

Post by IMO »

gtd98765 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:26 am Whatever e-bike you get, make sure there is a bike shop in your city that can repair that kind. We had a $700 e-bike from China that worked for three years, but when the electronic control broke, none of the bike shops in town would try to fix it since they did not have manuals/access to spare parts.
I think this is an important concept. Basically WHEN (not if) the motor or other electrical component fails, the question being can you find a reasonable replacement, or are you going to have to toss out the bike? I have a high performance electric bike, but all components from the non-motorized aspect asides the frame are off the shelf from any bike shop/on-line retailer, thus available components that are easily replaced as necessary due to wear/tear or breakage (frame can also be replaced but that is a little more difficult). As far as electronics/motor, they are also readily available (and relatively reasonably priced) so that WHEN (again not if) I know it can be reasonable replaced. The motor is only warranted for 6 months despite it having a very solid reputation.

So when looking at bikes, ask about where/how replacement parts, especially the electronics are obtained.

Do keep in mind the weight if you plan on lifting a bike up onto a rack (or into a truck bed), especially if you have health issues that make that more difficult (which would be more likely for those opting to purchase an electric bike in theory).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

IMO wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:34 am
gtd98765 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:26 am Whatever e-bike you get, make sure there is a bike shop in your city that can repair that kind. We had a $700 e-bike from China that worked for three years, but when the electronic control broke, none of the bike shops in town would try to fix it since they did not have manuals/access to spare parts.
I think this is an important concept. Basically WHEN (not if) the motor or other electrical component fails, the question being can you find a reasonable replacement, or are you going to have to toss out the bike? I have a high performance electric bike, but all components from the non-motorized aspect asides the frame are off the shelf from any bike shop/on-line retailer, thus available components that are easily replaced as necessary due to wear/tear or breakage (frame can also be replaced but that is a little more difficult). As far as electronics/motor, they are also readily available (and relatively reasonably priced) so that WHEN (again not if) I know it can be reasonable replaced. The motor is only warranted for 6 months despite it having a very solid reputation.

So when looking at bikes, ask about where/how replacement parts, especially the electronics are obtained.

Do keep in mind the weight if you plan on lifting a bike up onto a rack (or into a truck bed), especially if you have health issues that make that more difficult (which would be more likely for those opting to purchase an electric bike in theory).
Definitely important things to consider. There are A LOT of small e-bike manufacturers popping up, if something goes wrong, good luck getting parts. Even though we took a risk pre-ordering, it was from an existing manufacturer that is well known, has been in the e-bike business for a decade, doesn't use a lot of proprietary components, and has all the parts available on their site. Also, I am very loyal to a local bike shop, but they will only work on e-bikes purchased in their shop. Luckily we have a motorsports shop (side-by-sides, 4-wheelers) who recently converted primarily to selling and working on e-bikes about 1/2 mile from my home. I'm not the most handy guy, but can fix almost anything on our acoustic bikes, but I'm not screwing around with electric motors, controllers, and LCD screens.
Cicero123

Post by Cicero123 »

I bought Rad City step-throughs for my wife and I in 2020. The City was a little big for her at 5’3”, so I sold hers, and bought a Rad Mini step-through. We’ve been real happy with them.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

A few thoughts. RadCity has good options, So does Aventon. Biktrix has some nice options as well. ElectricBikeReview.com is a very good resource. Contrary to what another poster wrote, there are a number of good options below $3K for riders. Regarding racks designed for electric bikes, the Thule EasyFold XT 2 can handle it and even includes a ramp to roll your bike on onto the rack if needed. We just go back from 1,000 mile trip hauling our 2 electric bikes and the Thule worked perfectly. We ride nearly every weekend spring through fall. It's great fun!
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

blueberrypi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 am
teniralc wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 pm This is more than you wanted to spend, but I bought a Verve+ 2 and have been extraordinarily happy with it. The bike store adjusts it, no problem. It comes with the back rack, lights and I bought a couple of bags that attach to carry things to work, when the weather is nice. One could spend a lot more, but in this price range, this bike is a good-quality product that will last a good while and is comfortable and fun to ride. It comes with extra-heavy duty tires that seem to avoid getting flats.
+1. Got one last year, absolutely love it. So smooth and comfy!
Agreed!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

peetsperk wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:29 pm A few thoughts. RadCity has good options, So does Aventon. Biktrix has some nice options as well. ElectricBikeReview.com is a very good resource. Contrary to what another poster wrote, there are a number of good options below $3K for riders. Regarding racks designed for electric bikes, the Thule EasyFold XT 2 can handle it and even includes a ramp to roll your bike on onto the rack if needed. We just go back from 1,000 mile trip hauling our 2 electric bikes and the Thule worked perfectly. We ride nearly every weekend spring through fall. It's great fun!
Biktrix are nice, we have a local dealer and I played around with a few. Their owner is also really active on several of the e-bike forums and has a solid reputation. I strongly considered a juggernaut ultra beast 2, but I actually preferred hub drive for my use and didn't want to spend $5k+ per bike.

That Thule rack looks great (like most of their products), but maximum load is 130lbs (65lbs each bike). And I know you shouldn't cheap out on a rack to carry an expensive bike, but $850 :shock:
Tucker50

Post by Tucker50 »

I have been looking online at e-bikes since I rode on an Aventon 22 miles on a greenway in Anchorage this summer. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the class of the bike. Most of us don't need at class 3 bike (capable of >20 mph with pedal assist). For most of us a class 1 or 2 is sufficient and more likely to be accepted (not outlawed like class 3) on trails and greenways. Prospective buyer need to consider.
Sgal8713

Post by Sgal8713 »

Tucker50 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:08 pm I have been looking online at e-bikes since I rode on an Aventon 22 miles on a greenway in Anchorage this summer. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the class of the bike. Most of us don't need at class 3 bike (capable of >20 mph with pedal assist). For most of us a class 1 or 2 is sufficient and more likely to be accepted (not outlawed like class 3) on trails and greenways. Prospective buyer need to consider.
This is a good point. FYI, electric bikes are 3 classes.
-Class 1 up to 20 mph NO throttle (Trek Verve+ is an example).
-Class 2 up to 20 mph WITH throttle (Rad Bikes and most others).
-Class 3 up to 28 mph with NO throttle (Trek Allant+).
Class 3 are generally not allowed on trails and non-motorized areas, but I have one and still do it with no-low power. I am gambling that the patrol people have little knowledge on bikes considering our very low local penetration of them.

I bought a Trek Allant 8+ (~5k which was depressing, but has been worth it) about 2 months for a 5-7 miles commute on a 3 to 5 lane highway. I also use it for nearby errands (grocery stores, dinner pickup). Then wife bought Trek Verve 2+ (~3k) to help gets kids around and quick trips. We went ahead and got Trek brand because there was a company store nearby and would not have any concerns on getting them repaired.

I am also closely following on the bike rack sub-conversation as we are in the market
Topic Author
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I am leaning towards the Ariel Rideal mid-step. Anyway, just to clarify, the commute was something else I might use it for. In the middle of it is a half mile 250 ft climb that I frankly would not be interested in tackling with a regular bike .....
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Sgal8713 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am
Tucker50 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:08 pm I have been looking online at e-bikes since I rode on an Aventon 22 miles on a greenway in Anchorage this summer. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the class of the bike. Most of us don't need at class 3 bike (capable of >20 mph with pedal assist). For most of us a class 1 or 2 is sufficient and more likely to be accepted (not outlawed like class 3) on trails and greenways. Prospective buyer need to consider.
Class 3 are generally not allowed on trails and non-motorized areas, but I have one and still do it with no-low power. I am gambling that the patrol people have little knowledge on bikes considering our very low local penetration of them.
I live ~1.5 miles from an outlet of an 18 mile very heavily trafficked paved bike trail. I walk it 1-2x/week and see countless class 3 bikes (after over 4yrs of researching them, I know what I'm looking at). I also see a ton of them on the hiking/mountain biking trails; I rarely see an acoustic bike anymore, but most are light mid-drive class 1's unlike the monstrosity class 3 I'll be getting. What I rarely see is e-bikes at all on public streets. As far as I have heard, there is essentially no monitoring of e-bikes in my area.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:41 pm
I live ~1.5 miles from an outlet of an 18 mile very heavily trafficked paved bike trail. I walk it 1-2x/week and see countless class 3 bikes (after over 4yrs of researching them, I know what I'm looking at). I also see a ton of them on the hiking/mountain biking trails; I rarely see an acoustic bike anymore, but most are light mid-drive class 1's unlike the monstrosity class 3 I'll be getting. What I rarely see is e-bikes at all on public streets. As far as I have heard, there is essentially no monitoring of e-bikes in my area.
Check on the rules on forest service trails. From what you've said, I'm guessing you're more into service roads for your winter adventures, but some of the local USFS trails technically ban them. Zero enforcement for now outside of Pack City but worth keeping an eye on if you're fat biking on groomed trails.

I see mostly acoustic bikes when I'm out but more ebikes than I used to.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:57 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:41 pm
Check on the rules on forest service trails. From what you've said, I'm guessing you're more into service roads for your winter adventures, but some of the local USFS trails technically ban them. Zero enforcement for now outside of Pack City but worth keeping an eye on if you're fat biking on groomed trails.

I see mostly acoustic bikes when I'm out but more ebikes than I used to.
They may technically ban them, but (as you said) there is zero enforcement (for now). Everybody I know who owns an e-bike has a class 3 and hasn't faced any limitations.
cdc

Post by cdc »

Apologies if this aspect has been covered, but I read this article today about a tax credit for ebikes included in the proposed $3.5 billion budget.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... emissions/
rob

Post by rob »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:22 pm They may technically ban them, but (as you said) there is zero enforcement (for now). Everybody I know who owns an e-bike has a class 3 and hasn't faced any limitations.
This is a bit more complex than first appears... Mine is shipped as class 2 but can be unlocked to be class 3. Unfortunately the laws seem to be all over the place.... some say class 3 = throttle but that's just not the case since in most places it's the speed. There are also some additional customizations on when the power kicks in and how quickly.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rob wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:17 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:22 pm They may technically ban them, but (as you said) there is zero enforcement (for now). Everybody I know who owns an e-bike has a class 3 and hasn't faced any limitations.
This is a bit more complex than first appears... Mine is shipped as class 2 but can be unlocked to be class 3. Unfortunately the laws seem to be all over the place.... some say class 3 = throttle but that's just not the case since in most places it's the speed. There are also some additional customizations on when the power kicks in and how quickly.
It's the wild wild west as far as regulations. There are many e-bikes that have a purposely-placed class 1 sticker, but are actually class 3. Many, if not most, e-bikes can be unlocked to be class 3 quite easily. Mine can be unlocked, by pushing a few buttons on the screen, to go faster than 28mph (throttle only). Unless you are riding like a total moron or riding something like an Onyx RCR that can easily go 50+ and looks nothing like an actual bike, I think (based upon a few years of daily reading of e-bike forums) that the chances of having issues are almost nonexistent.
ThisWas

Post by ThisWas »

What an informative thread!
I had to look up the expression "acoustic bike" https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... tic%20bike and will definitely add it to my vocabulary.

I hope that the Original Poster who plans to use his/her new bike for commuting has thought about how he/she will store the bike at work.
Is there secure storage for this expensive vehicle at the office/shop/factory/warehouse? Are stairs or an elevator involved?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ThisWas wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:07 am What an informative thread!
I had to look up the expression "acoustic bike" https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... tic%20bike and will definitely add it to my vocabulary.
That's pretty funny. I really had no idea where I picked up the term, likely from the e-bike forums. I have been an avid cyclist for over 2 decades, probably putting more miles on bikes than in cars over that time period. I've never actually owned an e-bike (we pre-ordered bikes that are expected in November) and have only ridden one a handful of times.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

A lot of the lower cost e-bikes I looked at are insanely heavy. I don't know about the higher end ones since I didn't look at them. If something goes wrong with the electronics while you're riding it wouldn't be any fun to pedal a 50-70 lb bike back to the house/car and they're too heavy for a lot of bike racks. If you already have a decent bike then one of the hub kits is a nice option. They don't add much weight so it's not a big deal to pedal them. I went this route because I want the exercise but have a bad knee. I can go about 10-15 miles pedaling but beyond that my knee gets dicey so the powered hub is my safety net to get home. It also allows me to confidently go on longer rides with friends. I went with 250W because my area doesn't have very large hills. If I was going to encounter large hills I'd go with a 500W motor.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

punkinhead wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:25 am A lot of the lower cost e-bikes I looked at are insanely heavy. I don't know about the higher end ones since I didn't look at them. If something goes wrong with the electronics while you're riding it wouldn't be any fun to pedal a 50-70 lb bike back to the house/car and they're too heavy for a lot of bike racks. If you already have a decent bike then one of the hub kits is a nice option. They don't add much weight so it's not a big deal to pedal them. I went this route because I want the exercise but have a bad knee. I can go about 10-15 miles pedaling but beyond that my knee gets dicey so the powered hub is my safety net to get home. It also allows me to confidently go on longer rides with friends. I went with 250W because my area doesn't have very large hills. If I was going to encounter large hills I'd go with a 500W motor.
50 lb is actually quite light for an e-bike. Pedaling mine (I think around 55 lb????) is no problem without power on relatively flat terrain. Steep hills are another thing entirely.

The last time I was in Manhattan I noticed a whole lot of old clunker bikes that were converted into e-bikes- maybe even more than conventional bikes. I assumed it was the go-to solution for deliveries.

So you converted your conventional bike into an e-bike? How much weight did it add, and when you are not using the battery how much does that negatively impact your riding experience?

Also, how much work was it to convert (assuming a typical hybrid bike), and how much did the kit cost? Does it take much expertise? Any downsides?? *curious*
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Like a lot of things, you need to evaluate quality/longevity/fixability vs. price. I bought a bike similar to yours as I wasn't sure how much I'd use it (turns out, not that much). If the $700 e-bike lasts me 3 years I can live with that. If I used it more, I would have upgraded.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

protagonist wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:19 pm
So you converted your conventional bike into an e-bike? How much weight did it add, and when you are not using the battery how much does that negatively impact your riding experience?

Also, how much work was it to convert (assuming a typical hybrid bike), and how much did the kit cost? Does it take much expertise? Any downsides?? *curious*
I have a powered front hub. If I flip the bike over and spin the front wheel there's more drag than you'd get with a standard wheel but it's not excessive. I don't have any trouble pedaling without using the battery and that's what I do most of the time - the motor is only there to get me home if my knee gives out. The conversion was very simple. The motored hub came already laced to the rim with spokes and I just put my tube and tire on it. I see some kits that come with a complete front wheel that you just replace your current one with. The controller and battery are in a bag that velcros to the frame and the throttle velcros to the handlebars. It's a 5 minute install. I think I paid about $600 for my kit a few years ago. They've gone up but they also have more features now. The newer ones all have "power assist" and a display just like a dedicated e-bike so instead of using the throttle you can tell it how much you want the motor to help you pedal. I've never used on with that feature but it seems like it would be very useful.
jwfails

Post by jwfails »

I have two Lectric brand e-bikes and love them. They will go about 30-40 miles on a charge and are on the heavy side, 60 pounds.
sparky123

Post by sparky123 »

I got a $900 dollar E-bike and immediately wanted more features. I then bought a $1300 bike, the Ride1Up 500, that had all the features I didn't know I wanted before the first e-bike.
I suggest you spend a little more and get a lot more like suspension, a throttle, better display, better brakes, better shifters, etc. Ride1Up and Rad power have a lot of good bikes in the $1k-2k range.
The Ride1Up controller is programmable in ways the others are not. (I think) You can program maximum throttle speed. The pedal assist max is 28mph nonadjustable. You can choose 3, 5, 7, or 9 assist levels and each setpoint is programmable. The setpoints are based on percent maximum power, not speed. I think the Rad Powers are speed based so if you choose assist level 1 you get maximum power up the the speed 1 setpoint, which is too abrupt and too fast and nonadjustable. So say people on forums.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/f ... wer-bikes/
Hub drive is fine in flat areas.
Fit is a guess when ordering on the internet, the Ride1Up step through was too small for me so I added a steerer extender and a longer stem to get the handlebars up where I like them. It would have probably been perfect for 5"7".
I didn't buy the electric bike to commute, but once I had it I did the 2 miles. Make sure you have a safe place to lock it up all day. An easily removeable battery can go with you into the building. That is the main reason I chose the Ride1Up 500 over the 700.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

Best bikes are mid drives. There are so many choices, but you will spend north of $5K to get a reliable electric bike. Germans produce the best electric bikes. I wouldn't touch a Chinese one with a ten foot poll.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I bought an XP 1 from these guys a couple of years ago
https://lectricebikes.com/
I took a risk and pre-ordered so "saved" money. Still works fine. Don't actually use it as much as I thought I would.
I bought one to try, was hoping the wife would enjoy it enough so that we could go on bike rides again. Did not happen. I'm guessing she will never ride a bike again. They do not come with AC ;) It was a fun experiment which I do not regret. I still take it out once in a while. It is fun. I've thought about getting a nicer more expensive one, maybe I will when this one dies.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)