Sprint SIM card -> T-Mobile SIM card experiences?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
anon_investor

Re: Sprint SIM card -> T-Mobile SIM card experiences?

Post by anon_investor »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:29 pm I switched last week and got no signal in my office. I will switch back.
I will activate the TMob sim today and see how the signal is. If it doesn't work in my office, I will be in trouble since I WFH... :shock:
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:29 pm I switched last week and got no signal in my office. I will switch back.
Switching back to the Sprint network? Even if they allow that it will be going away in about a year.
If your talking about a 3rd party MVNO that's probably doable until the network is turned off.

We are about 50% converted as of right now so I don't foresee the top brass keeping the CDMA lights on more than a year as we need that spectrum for the 5G mid-range boost. I will say we are building micro/mini/full towers as fast as the cities will let us so hopefully your coverage improves over the next 3-6 months. City permits was the biggest roadblock we had at Sprint and that is still true as T-MO.

Cell coverage is very much a local issue so I would find out who has the best coverage in your area other than Sprint and go with them.
Best to start researching it now before everything gets shut off.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:33 pm
I will activate the TMob sim today and see how the signal is. If it doesn't work in my office, I will be in trouble since I WFH... :shock:
You have your phone set to allow wifi calls in office right? Most houses block 60% of cell signal (I go from strong 5G to LTE once I enter the house) and office buildings can be worst so calling via wifi is always the best option no matter who the carrier is.

I know we used to sell a wifi booster for inside LTE signal. Not sure if we still do as I've never needed one.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

If there is no signal insider my office, why do I need cell phone. I will cancel the service.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

brad.clarkston wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 pm
Switching back to the Sprint network? Even if they allow that it will be going away in about a year.
If your talking about a 3rd party MVNO that's probably doable until the network is turned off.

We are about 50% converted as of right now so I don't foresee the top brass keeping the CDMA lights on more than a year as we need that spectrum for the 5G mid-range boost. I will say we are building micro/mini/full towers as fast as the cities will let us so hopefully your coverage improves over the next 3-6 months. City permits was the biggest roadblock we had at Sprint and that is still true as T-MO.

Cell coverage is very much a local issue so I would find out who has the best coverage in your area other than Sprint and go with them.
You should be able to switch back to Sprint network if you still have your Sprint SIM. It may stop working well in January, but who knows. T-Mobile originally sent me the SIM card kit, so I switched to the T-Mobile SIM card only to find out that it wasn't compatible with my phone. Phone. So I had to switch back to the Sprint card until I received a new phone. But that was a few months ago. I now have a new phone and the T-Mobile SIM card.

Either way, you only have a little over a month to find a solution! Hopefully you don't need a new phone, I was going to wait until the end of the year until I realize I didn't want to risk any supply chain crunch around the holidays.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

brad.clarkston wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:44 pm
anon_investor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:33 pm
You have your phone set to allow wifi calls in office right? Most houses block 60% of cell signal (I go from strong 5G to LTE once I enter the house) and office buildings can be worst so calling via wifi is always the best option no matter who the carrier is.

I know we used to sell a wifi booster for inside LTE signal. Not sure if we still do as I've never needed one.
I work from home, don't go into any office usually. I have full bars on Sprint in the room I use as my home office at my house. We have no tall buildings nearby to obstruct signal.

But I don't have a land line, so if I can't get acceptable cell service without wifi on T-Mo, I would switch carriers. I know AT&T works in my house because my work issued phone works fine and is AT&T.

I just don't want to have to switch plans right now by activating the T-Mo sim, I want to try it out before making any kind of commitment.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

runninginvestor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:01 pm
brad.clarkston wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 pm

You should be able to switch back to Sprint network if you still have your Sprint SIM. It may stop working well in January, but who knows. T-Mobile originally sent me the SIM card kit, so I switched to the T-Mobile SIM card only to find out that it wasn't compatible with my phone. Phone. So I had to switch back to the Sprint card until I received a new phone. But that was a few months ago. I now have a new phone and the T-Mobile SIM card.

Either way, you only have a little over a month to find a solution! Hopefully you don't need a new phone, I was going to wait until the end of the year until I realize I didn't want to risk any supply chain crunch around the holidays.
Did you get to keep your existing Sprint plan pricing and features?
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

djm2001 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:29 am For those who have already done the switch, has your post-switch coverage/quality been an improvement or a step back?
Long time customer, from Nextel to Sprint then Tmobile. Service was worse and in rural areas, I'd get nothing with Tmobile where Sprint would have little/slow service.

Switched to Verizon last week.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:54 pm
runninginvestor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:01 pm

Did you get to keep your existing Sprint plan pricing and features?
I believe it's still the Sprint billing plan, for the time bring. All of the phones on the line have now been moved to TMO's network. So we will see how long until they switch over the account itself.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

I've been on Boost Mobile (which used the Sprint network as an MVNO) and also got the notification from T-Mobile to switch to their SIM before January. This was a misleading message however, as explained below:

You need to be wary as the only reason that T-Mobile was sending messages to folks using the Sprint network (whether that be directly or through an MVNO) was because of the deal required by the FCC between the two carriers. I DID NOT need to switch to T-Mobile, in fact Boost will be using Dish as their network now (which is piggy-backed onto the AT&T network) so what I really needed was to get a DISH/AT&T SIM card in order to keep my existing Boost mobile plan. If I switched to a T-MOBILE SIM I would be required to drop my BOOST plan and purchase a T-Mobile one... which does not have comparable plans (I get more hotspot data for less money with Boost than T-Mobile).

This was annoying as I was NOT messaged that I needed to switch to a DISH SIM (to keep my Boost plan) and I had to research and discover that for myself. So just make sure that you aren't actually leaving your current MVNO if you switch to a T-Mobile SIM. I would have been paying much more after switching to T-Mobile even with a first responder discount in effect, AND I would have had to upgrade to a 5G compatible phone (yet more money). I was able to keep my still newish phone (Moto G7 Power; released in 2020) and a less expensive plan that offers better value for me.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I just wanted to post my experience so far after having switched to the T-Mobile SIM a week ago. So far no issues with my signal, works the same in all the places as my old Sprint service. When I login to sprint.com my account indicates that I am on a T-Mobile SIM, I still have the same service/features and pricing. So far no issues.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

T-Mobile told me they are phasing out legacy blackberry service as of 12/31. So does this mean….

1. I can stay with them and continue my number but I must choose a new type of phone?

2. Can I keep my blackberry and switch carriers? Is anyone else servicing legacy blackberries these days or is BB totally defunct at this point?
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:08 pm I just wanted to post my experience so far after having switched to the T-Mobile SIM a week ago. So far no issues with my signal, works the same in all the places as my old Sprint service. When I login to sprint.com my account indicates that I am on a T-Mobile SIM, I still have the same service/features and pricing. So far no issues.
Have you used overseas roaming? That’s what didn’t work for me, although it was supposed to.
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

kevinf wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:56 pm I DID NOT need to switch to T-Mobile, in fact Boost will be using Dish as their network now (which is piggy-backed onto the AT&T network) so what I really needed was to get a DISH/AT&T SIM card in order to keep my existing Boost mobile plan...

This was annoying as I was NOT messaged that I needed to switch to a DISH SIM (to keep my Boost plan) and I had to research and discover that for myself.
I am on Boost myself (was put on this from Virgin Mobile USA when Virgin Mobile USA stopped existing). I have not, to date, received anything from Boost Mobile about switching to another SIM card (I have received many texts from T-Mobile).

How did you find information about needing to switch to a DISH SIM card? Did you get a DISH SIM card from Boost? Or something else? I've had my phone (an iPhone 8) since December 2017.
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

obafgkm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:20 pm
kevinf wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:56 pm I DID NOT need to switch to T-Mobile, in fact Boost will be using Dish as their network now (which is piggy-backed onto the AT&T network) so what I really needed was to get a DISH/AT&T SIM card in order to keep my existing Boost mobile plan...

This was annoying as I was NOT messaged that I needed to switch to a DISH SIM (to keep my Boost plan) and I had to research and discover that for myself.
I am on Boost myself (was put on this from Virgin Mobile USA when Virgin Mobile USA stopped existing). I have not, to date, received anything from Boost Mobile about switching to another SIM card (I have received many texts from T-Mobile).

How did you find information about needing to switch to a DISH SIM card? Did you get a DISH SIM card from Boost? Or something else? I've had my phone (an iPhone 8) since December 2017.
I was poking around the Boost website after being dissatisfied with the plan options from T-Mobile and saw they had a banner for switching to the new SIM. I ordered it from the website (free) and had a local Boost store activate it. You should contact Boost support and tell them what you need.