Best All-In-One Laser Printer (wireless) for home office?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
teelainen

Best All-In-One Laser Printer (wireless) for home office?

Post by teelainen »

Any recommendations for the best All-In-One Laser Printer (wireless) for a home office?

Thanks!
sc9182

Re: Best All-In-One Laser Printer (wireless) for home office?

Post by sc9182 »

Don't go with one - go with TWO Lasers !
One for Black and White and the other laser for Color
The Black-and-White laser - could be a Multi-Function one (aka, all-in-one) - such as Brother MFC -- easy on costs, fairly reliable, cheap and widely available toners ..

Have Nest/Google-wifi to blanket your mansion with WiFi signal - and WiFi printer accessible to everyone in your household is a good idear. Most of the Wifi lasers also print via iPrint - if its helpful in you case ..
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We just have a Canon blank and white laser printer that does 99.9% of everything we want it too. On the rare occasion we need something printed in color vs. grayscale, we just upload it to the internet and have the color photograph mailed directly to our house for pennies or if in a hurry, pick it up an hour later at the corner drugstore. Much much much cheaper than owning and maintaining a color printer.

Based on numerous previous threads that ask this very question, probably 90% will recommend a Brother something or other. I honestly have not seen any difference in reliability between them, Canon and several other major brands. I would just go with the one that allows you to easily and affordably replace the ink cartridge and isn't something you have to special order.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I have a Brother MFC "all in one" its about $380. Works really well, does color and black and white. Easy to scan and make copies. Someone I know in IT said that was the line of printers that had the least amount of issues and aftermarket toner was affordable and worked well.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Another vote for Brother, I have an all-in-one black-and-white here that I use for printing and for document scanning and it does what I need and does it well. (Kudos to Brother for providing scanner drivers for use under Linux!)
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
mkc

Post by mkc »

Another vote for Brother (and there's been one or two similar threads this past year where that was the overwhelming recommendation as well (I've linked a couple of them) :happy

viewtopic.php?p=6139728

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=344861
Last edited by mkc on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
teelainen

Post by teelainen »

For the Brother MFC, what are the pros and cons of the black & white version vs. the color version?

Is it expensive to maintain a color laser printer? Is it a hassle to maintain a color laser printer?
mkc

Post by mkc »

teelainen wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:46 am
Is it expensive to maintain a color laser printer? Is it a hassle to maintain a color laser printer?
There's some discussion of toner and drum cost in this topic viewtopic.php?f=11&t=329001
Goodsounds

Post by Goodsounds »

Might also want to consider the software used to print and scan , which varies by manufacturers. For instance, printing via AirPrint may be important to mobile users. When it comes to scanning, do you need / want embedded scan to email?
Is scan to mac (vs windows) important? Not all manufacturers have refined software features.
I also would want a doc feeder vs flat bed scanner. This matters when scanning multiple pages and 2-sided documents.
Consider toner price per yield for heavier use cases.
I trust Canon , and possibly Epson as best contenders for best all-around experience.
illumination

Post by illumination »

teelainen wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:46 am For the Brother MFC, what are the pros and cons of the black & white version vs. the color version?

Not really, if you don't use the color option, you use less of the color toner. But I don't know the exact way the different color drums are distributed, but one toner is just "black" and that will be the one that gets replaced more often. The aftermarket ones are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than OEM and work well. You can buy like $100 worth of toner and it lasts several years. I avoid ink jet like the plague now, its just always a problem.

My kids like the color option when they have something to do for school, so it comes in handy. It having WiFi they can also print something on their phones really easily. I rarely print things in color, I also have an entry level Brother printer that's just black and white and toner is like $20, lasts like 3-4 years, that works great that does the lion share of my printing.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

We have the Brother HLL2395DW black and white all in one laser printer and scanner with wireless for a year now. We purchased it refurbished directly from Brother and so far so good. We also purchase the toner on amazon from a generic brand and it works fine and much cheaper.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Very happy with the HP MFP M130FW that I've had for a couple of years. It works great, zero issues.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

I have a brother HL-L2380DW Print/Copy/Scan that has been going strong for six years. Paid $99 for it, got Office Depot to match Amazon. I’m on my I want to say third high volume toner cartridge.
PersonalFinanceJam

Post by PersonalFinanceJam »

Brother +1!
We have a multifunction laser printer/scanner. Everything (Macs, Windows PC, iPads, iPhones) in the house can print effortlessly. Bonus for me seemed to be the availability of generic toner cartridges which still work great.
telemark

Post by telemark »

illumination wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:30 am My kids like the color option when they have something to do for school, so it comes in handy. It having WiFi they can also print something on their phones really easily.
I know I am a broken record on this point, and I don't want to pick on what is a very natural and understandable misunderstanding but:

You don't need a wireless printer to print from your phones, laptops, tablets, etc. Because the phones, laptops, etc. don't talk to your printer, they talk to your router, which is presumably already wireless. Buying a wireless printer just means that you don't have to run a cable from your printer to your router. This can certainly be valuable, depending on where you locate those, but it also means that you have to connect the printer to your wireless network, not just once but every time it loses the connection.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

telemark wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm I know I am a broken record on this point, and I don't want to pick on what is a very natural and understandable misunderstanding but:

You don't need a wireless printer to print from your phones, laptops, tablets, etc. Because the phones, laptops, etc. don't talk to your printer, they talk to your router, which is presumably already wireless. Buying a wireless printer just means that you don't have to run a cable from your printer to your router. This can certainly be valuable, depending on where you locate those, but it also means that you have to connect the printer to your wireless network, not just once but every time it loses the connection.
My wireless printer reconnects to the network automatically if it disconnects. Certainly don't have to connect it to the network every time it loses the connection.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Just ordered a Brother MFC-L3750CDW. It's on backorder. I bought it because all the reviews said it works seamlessly with Macs, which is all we have.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
EnerJi

Post by EnerJi »

This helped me make a purchase decision a couple of years ago. It's been updated since then:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... e-printer/
SpinPsycholer

Post by SpinPsycholer »

Just brought a Brother MFC-L2717DW from Sams Club for $200 to replace a 14 y/o Canon D480. Main reason was for printing from mobile devices. Works seamlessly with iPhones and Androids. Has print,scan,copy,fax. Scanning via feed or glass platter. The only feature that the Canon had missing on the Brother is duplex scanning (2 sided). Never used that feature after the 1st month. I originally had the grand idea that I would scan all my bills each month, front and back, and store electronically but that in itself was too big a chore. Anyway I’m very happy with the new Brother and so is my wife, which makes me even happier :D
"Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for." -Marian Wright Edelman
Topic Author
teelainen

Post by teelainen »

Nate79 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:41 am We have the Brother HLL2395DW black and white all in one laser printer and scanner with wireless for a year now. We purchased it refurbished directly from Brother and so far so good. We also purchase the toner on amazon from a generic brand and it works fine and much cheaper.
Nate79, regarding your Brother toner, which generic brand from Amazon works well for you?
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

I eyed brother printer long time however settled with Canon ImageCLASS LBP6030w (8468B003) - Black and white
on a deal for 60 bucks + tax. Its wonderful so far. WIFI is there however i dont use wifi right now.
This dont have copier or fax if it matters you lot
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

teelainen wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:14 pm
Nate79 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:41 am We have the Brother HLL2395DW black and white all in one laser printer and scanner with wireless for a year now. We purchased it refurbished directly from Brother and so far so good. We also purchase the toner on amazon from a generic brand and it works fine and much cheaper.
Nate79, regarding your Brother toner, which generic brand from Amazon works well for you?
We used one from the company LxTek (compatible toner for Brother printers) bought on Amazon.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

We're happy with our HP Color LaserJet Pro Multifunction M479fdw. We bought it for $400, looks like it's $650 now. :(
02nz

Post by 02nz »

teelainen wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:46 am For the Brother MFC, what are the pros and cons of the black & white version vs. the color version?

Not really any additional maintenance, but keep in mind that color laser printers are quite a bit bigger than monochrome lasers.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I got a B&W Wi-FI Brother laser printer off Craigslist for $100. Works like a champ.

For scanning I just use the fabulous iPhone Notes app doc scan feature which sort of reads the document at the same time and does multiple pages.

For color, I email it to UPS ten minutes away for printing. I have needed to do this a couple times per year.

Overall, we have minimal needs for paper prints. I don't like storing paper and don't need it around so end up shredding too much of what I print.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.