How to Attract Hummingbirds

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
folkher0

Re: How to Attract Hummingbirds

Post by folkher0 »

We’ve had feeders in the past. This year for various reasons we haven’t set any out. We have planted a variety of native plants and flowers

We planted Coral honeysuckle which climbs a trellis in our yard and attracts hummingbirds, monarchs and swallowtails.

NYC metro area
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

intendi wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:05 pm Best-1 hummingbird feeders are....the best. The base is easy to clean and has a perch (a perch is a must have item that for some reason isn't included on all feeders). The reservoir is a glass IV bottle.

4:1 water to sugar ratio. Only use white granulated sugar.

I've had the most hummingbirds visit on the south side of the house for whatever reason.
Does this brand (Best-1) leak? I have one feeder that keeps leaking, attracting a massive number of wasps lately. I am shopping for a new one. Thanks!
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I live in upstate NY and see hummingbirds in my yard. On our .45 acres I have about 300 different hostas, with some plants having 10 flower stalks each. Hostas bloom here from the end of June into September. My hostas are 12 to 36 inches tall.
intendi

Post by intendi »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:36 pm
intendi wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:05 pm Best-1 hummingbird feeders are....the best. The base is easy to clean and has a perch (a perch is a must have item that for some reason isn't included on all feeders). The reservoir is a glass IV bottle.

4:1 water to sugar ratio. Only use white granulated sugar.

I've had the most hummingbirds visit on the south side of the house for whatever reason.
Does this brand (Best-1) leak? I have one feeder that keeps leaking, attracting a massive number of wasps lately. I am shopping for a new one. Thanks!

Sorry! I didn't see this until just now. No they don't leak at all. I don't have a problem with yellow jackets and the like bothering them either which is a little surprising.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Hummingbirds here (southeast) have finally calmed down and slowed their territorial fighting. They are in fattening up mode now, getting ready for the long migration. We saw one little guy roost on the feeder for over 5 minutes, taking a sip every now and then. Just 2 weeks ago, he never would have made it, he would have been shoo-ed away by another bird.

I also don't recognize this bird. He could be on his trip already.
Topic Author
jeanpierremelville

Post by jeanpierremelville »

Hey guys,

We were unable to attract any hummingbirds last year to your backyard. I assumed that it was because it was we started late (August) and the migration/ feeding patterns had already been established.

This year, we made sure to start early (late April) and we still haven't been able to attract hummingbirds. The feeders are red on the ends with a clear, glass container in the middle. It contains 1 part sugar/ 4 parts water and made at home. I try to replace the solution every 3 days or so. There are also a bunch of flowers that we added (see the beginning of the thread).

We do have a fair number of other birds visiting our backyard (robins, starlings, crows, bluejays, woodpeckers). My daughter tells me that hummingbirds are territorial and may not like this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

JPM
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Jeanpierre,
Don't know where you are located, but here in middle Tennessee the main season is not in full swing. Yes, we did see our first ruby throated hummers in mid-April, but the daily sightings have not been very frequent, maybe four or five times a day. They are on the nest right now and will become very active here starting in early to mid-July when they are off the nest and on up until early October when they start migrating south across the Gulf of Mexico.

Just keep feeding them now as they are most likely around and keep the nectar fresh and the feeder clean like you are doing. I have four other bird feeders out and they stay out year-round. For interesting articles on birds and feeding search out the website of a local birding store here in the Nashville area at TheWoodThrushShop.com. You can sign up for John's periodic emails which cover all aspects of birding.
Tom D.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Late April can be a bit late in NYC metro. You can do an internet search on a hummingbird map to see the date hummingbirds were reported in your locale.

Is your feeder visible to hummingbirds or obscured by branches? I wouldn’t place it to close to feeders for larger birds (I think some larger birds eat hummingbirds or their young).

Try putting a pot or two of hummingbird favorite flowers right underneath the feeder to help the hummingbird find the feeder. Something tubular such as red cardinal flower or fuchsia salvia.

You can also try adding a 2nd feeder in your yard.

It’s possible that the hummingbirds are paying brief visits to your feeder and you just aren’t catching sight of them. This time of year they are busy nesting and raising babies. The parents spend time hunting protein (i.e., bugs) to feed their young.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep trying! It took me awhile to attract my first hummingbird. Now thry return every year to my yard.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Tue May 24, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

I am at my getaway cabin in the north central PA mountains. We have more hummingbirds this year than at any time over the past 15 years or so. I counted eight birds on the two feeders. I think they return to the same area year after year. Besides the sugar water nectar that I make to attract them, we have many varieties of wildflowers on the property that they seem to feed on. And I have observed them feeding on sap from the pine trees on our property.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:00 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:25 am Around here there is a lot of wild (somewhat invasive) trumpet vine that HBs like but homeowners don't. When they get cleared out entirely, vs. controlled, the source goes away for the bird.
We have our feeders near some trumpet vines. I think the HBs prefer the vines to the feeder. We also have many other plants that HBs like, all part of our dastardly evil plot to seduce the HBs to come to our house. I guess our trumpet vines are controlled (passively) but of the various invasive species, it ain’t half bad and this homeowner doesn’t mind it.

Just happened to see this older post while following this hummer thread.

What a beautiful and peaceful place that is. Very nice to just "be", hummers and all.
Thanks for posting the picture.

j :D
dis dis laimer: zillions of ways to do things and paths and options and opinionizations by zillions of folks, This is only one.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hummingbird migration map and other good info:

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/index.htm
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:34 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:00 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:25 am Around here there is a lot of wild (somewhat invasive) trumpet vine that HBs like but homeowners don't. When they get cleared out entirely, vs. controlled, the source goes away for the bird.
We have our feeders near some trumpet vines. I think the HBs prefer the vines to the feeder. We also have many other plants that HBs like, all part of our dastardly evil plot to seduce the HBs to come to our house. I guess our trumpet vines are controlled (passively) but of the various invasive species, it ain’t half bad and this homeowner doesn’t mind it.

Just happened to see this older post while following this hummer thread.

What a beautiful and peaceful place that is. Very nice to just "be", hummers and all.
Thanks for posting the picture.

j :D
dis dis laimer: zillions of ways to do things and paths and options and opinionizations by zillions of folks, This is only one.
Thanks Sandtrap. Last year we approached the success of the local Audubon in fledging various birds. My wife counts the eggs and offspring. Our conversion of lawn to meadow continues and this year, 3 pairs of Orioles have graced us with their presence.

ETA: https://homegrownnationalpark.org/. We are growing our own national park.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I just ordered two feeders - I've wanted to do it for a long time and this thread prompted me....so thank you everyone.

A friend who lives at elevation in CO posted a picture last week of about 10 hummers on his feeder with a heat lamp shining on them to keep them warm after getting a fresh 10" of snow.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Flashes1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:39 am I just ordered two feeders - I've wanted to do it for a long time and this thread prompted me....so thank you everyone.

A friend who lives at elevation in CO posted a picture last week of about 10 hummers on his feeder with a heat lamp shining on them to keep them warm after getting a fresh 10" of snow.
They're so fun to watch. Since our snow storm last weekend, the hummers have been very hungry. Sometimes 3 will fight over a spot at my feeder. I will probably put out a second one. :beer
nanciT

Post by nanciT »

I like the Hummingbird site mentioned above watching migration. I posted several times on the site the last few months as the numbers increased in my yard.

I love the Glass feeders on Amazon with 4 stations and each has it's own perch. I make my own sugar water and fill the feeder each day, I have about 25 hummers that feed each day, sometimes in big crowds. I added one to the backyard but it's not as busy.

They come to the window if the feeder is empty and when I start to fill it outside, several will hover around me. I started this last year and I am amazed the large group I get.

They are amazing!
Topic Author
jeanpierremelville

Post by jeanpierremelville »

Bogleheads,

I just saw a hummingbird in our backyard! Sadly, it flew away before my kids could catch a glimpse. Now my work is focused on getting him/her to return…

JPM
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

You mentioned there are large trees, one generic recommendation is to add understory trees. I notice all of our birds like making the transition from large trees, to understory trees, and then to the feeders.

In our yard, we have a few understory trees including crabapples, serviceberry’s, Forest Pansy Redbud’s, Figs, Fringetrees, Japanese Bells (I think), and a weeping Alaskan Ceder, etc. The birds need the cover and safe transition from the hawks.

We have personally had the best luck with the homemade clear sugar water in a regular glass hummingbird feeder. FYI- we live in MD.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Birds do like to have cover near the bird feeder. It gives them cover when the local hawk comes to feed at the bird buffet (feeder).

My parents had a bird feeder with 7 (at least) bushes along one side of the fence of a small yard. Lots of birds would visit.

ETA. The birds visiting parents bird feeder lved the red twig dogwood bushes - great for.little birds to hide from the local hawk.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

My wife and I have been feeding hummingbirds for over 30 years now and have learned (at least) a couple of basic things over that time - first and foremost, you need to NOT feed ants and yellowjackets ....... only the hummers. To that end, after much trial-and-error, some years back we landed on this combination and have had zero problems ever since:

Hummingbird feeder: Homestead 3910 12-Ounce Hummingbird Feeder ........ have never had a wasp, yellowjacket or bee defeat it. As a side benefit, it has a place for the hummers to perch while they eat (which tends to keep them at the feeder for a longer period of time).

Ant Trap: Wildife Accessories Ant Trap ........... place it above the feeder and as long as you keep it filled with water you will never have ants roaming all the feeder.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TnGuy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:20 pm My wife and I have been feeding hummingbirds for over 30 years now and have learned (at least) a couple of basic things over that time - first and foremost, you need to NOT feed ants and yellowjackets ....... only the hummers. To that end, after much trial-and-error, some years back we landed on this combination and have had zero problems ever since:

Hummingbird feeder: Homestead 3910 12-Ounce Hummingbird Feeder ........ have never had a wasp, yellowjacket or bee defeat it. As a side benefit, it has a place for the hummers to perch while they eat (which tends to keep them at the feeder for a longer period of time).

Ant Trap: Wildife Accessories Ant Trap ........... place it above the feeder and as long as you keep it filled with water you will never have ants roaming all the feeder.

David
I use this on the Hummer pole, the BB nest pole and the pole that supports my mailbox

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XPDK4M/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Once or twice a month - a quick squirt and the ants can't make it to their destination.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
deikel

Post by deikel »

They go for color for sure (including a red T shirt of you wear one :-)

They come back every year - so it maybe a multi year project to attract them (back)

Ours nest more in dense bushes and at about 4-6ft high - not in trees, maybe provide such shelter ?

cutting open oranges and showing the halfs seem to attract them as well (plus some other birds) and then they find the feeders to come back more often.

Just make sure you change the syrup and keep it clean/free of ants to prevent disease, otherwise they seem fairly easy in my neck of the woods (NOT NYC)
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

deikel wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:55 am ust make sure you change the syrup and keep it clean/free of ants to prevent disease, otherwise they seem fairly easy in my neck of the woods (NOT NYC)
Good advice. I change mine every 3-4 days; if it goes too long it can ferment and the alcohol might kill the bird.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
mrc

Post by mrc »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:12 am
deikel wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:55 am ust make sure you change the syrup and keep it clean/free of ants to prevent disease, otherwise they seem fairly easy in my neck of the woods (NOT NYC)
Good advice. I change mine every 3-4 days; if it goes too long it can ferment and the alcohol might kill the bird.
I don't believe it's the alcohol from fermentation that harms the birds, but the microorganism (fugal, viral, bacterial) overgrowth. Frequent nectar changes with fresh nectar, along with feeder cleaning, is indeed best.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

Around here (PNW), fuschias and trumpet flowers work well to attract hummingbirds -- we put them in hanging baskets. My guess is that flowers with similar shapes and colors would work also. A quick search found this site with some recommendations: https://gotogardenista.com/trumpet-shaped-flowers/.

Hummingbird feeders are a controversial topic -- basically because they are as likely to kill birds as help them unless you are maintaining them on a daily basis.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

GAAP wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:22 pm Around here (PNW), fuschias and trumpet flowers work well to attract hummingbirds -- we put them in hanging baskets. My guess is that flowers with similar shapes and colors would work also. A quick search found this site with some recommendations: https://gotogardenista.com/trumpet-shaped-flowers/.

Hummingbird feeders are a controversial topic -- basically because they are as likely to kill birds as help them unless you are maintaining them on a daily basis.
yes; it is tempting to ignore the feeder when you stop seeing the hummers. When they are nesting and raising young, they are often elsewhere getting insects which are part of their diet. In June and early July they are sporadic visitors to the feeder. I keep a tickler on my calendar to change the juice.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:29 pm
GAAP wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:22 pm Around here (PNW), fuschias and trumpet flowers work well to attract hummingbirds -- we put them in hanging baskets. My guess is that flowers with similar shapes and colors would work also. A quick search found this site with some recommendations: https://gotogardenista.com/trumpet-shaped-flowers/.

yes; it is tempting to ignore the feeder when you stop seeing the hummers. When they are nesting and raising young, they are often elsewhere getting insects which are part of their diet. In June and early July they are sporadic visitors to the feeder. I keep a tickler on my calendar to change the juice.
Yes, exactly. It is a slow time. And the visits that do occur are very peaceful. In a few weeks the action will pick up, and there will be a lot of territorial fighting. It is fun to watch one bird sit on their perch on a tree branch just waiting for the evil interloper to come, and then the big swoop happens, all with a lot of talking and chittering.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I have been trying to plant more native perennials that attract hummers and pollinators. I just planted 3 agastache plants (high desert climate) this spring so after they bloom, I will see if my local hummers like them. Audubon generally recommends native plants to your area.

https://www.highcountrygardens.com/pere ... -rupestris
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

Have to agree the feeders are kind of gross.

We stopped all bird feeders last year. We’ve planted a pollinator garden with coral honeysuckle for the hummingbirds. Mostly native plants in the NYC metro area. We get goldfinch, monarch, swallowtails and hummingbirds by everyday. Zero maintenance. I’m staring at 3 goldfinch even as I write this. The hummingbirds seem to come around in the morning. We also have a ton of clover for the bees. We keep the grass on the long side for the fireflies.

I prefer the garden to the bird feeders in general. Gives the birds some space to snack without crowding and fighting. There was a mysterious plague in the bird population last year so we never put up feeders. We get more wildlife now with less maintenance and tons of beautiful flowers all summer long. This was one of my spouse’s pandemic projects.

https://www.thespruce.com/coral-honeysu ... de-5190661
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:12 pm

I have been trying to plant more native perennials that attract hummers and pollinators. I just planted 3 agastache plants (high desert climate) this spring so after they bloom, I will see if my local hummers like them. Audubon generally recommends native plants to your area.

https://www.highcountrygardens.com/pere ... -rupestris
I thought about putting in some flowers but then I remembered that the deer will simply munch them to the ground. We do have some trumpet vine nearby - it is wild here and difficult to control but the hummers like it.