Roofing costs and the pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fsrph

Roofing costs and the pandemic

Post by fsrph »

Hi,

I've read many posts about roofing using the search function. I'm posting another because I'm wondering how costs may have changed with the pandemic. I have a stand alone 1 1/2 car garage. It's composed of a front part with concrete walls and a smaller back part (maybe eight feet in length) with walls made out of wood used to store tools, etc.. The roof on the back part started leaking in few areas. The leak worsened so I called a construction/ roof repair service. I've used them before and was satisfied with their work.

I was interested in possibly only getting the smaller back portion fixed. The front main part of the roof doesn't leak and it's only a garage. Unfortunately, he inspected the roof when I wasn't home. Talked to the roofer and he recommended replace the whole roof with shingles on most of the roof but rubber roof on the smaller back part of the garage. Back part has much less slope. Said he'll need to use some new wood/plywood on the back part of roof.

I live in a low cost of living area. He quoted a base price of $5300, it may go up if he underestimated how much lumber he needs. I know it's hard to generalize, but does his quote sound reasonable? I told him that seems high. He mentioned the usual suspects of escalating shingle, lumber and supplies prices along with increased labor costs. I have another contractor coming for an estimate.

Questions:

Is $5300 a decent price considering pandemic price increases?

Should I just fix the back portion of the roof?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
ClevrChico

Re: Roofing costs and the pandemic

Post by ClevrChico »

I'm in the Midwest, and a friend just had a 1k sq/ft house and 3 car garage re-roofed for $11k.

$5300 would be high in the Midwest. Probably not in HCOL areas.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

1. Get at least 2 more quotes from reputable contractors.
2. Wait for the reply from Sandtrap.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Ten dollars per square foot is in the ballpark.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Depends on so many unspecified factors. First figure out how many square feet of roof you have. From there it is easy to price out the type of shingles you want for the roof, the price which can very widely depending on type, colors, longevity and warranty. After you get an idea of the basic cost of shingles, I would double that amount for the labor alone. Then you add allowance on for fixing problem spots, leaks, etc. The roofing contractor does exactly the same thing.
FireAway

Post by FireAway »

I just started a DIY reroof on my shop. I was actually surprised to see that the costs of shingles, nails, etc. haven't really gone up at all. Now if I need to start replacing some sheathing I fully expect it's going to be pricey, but other than that it seems the pandemic hasn't affect roofing materials costs so much.