Selling Tickets on StubHub or Ticketmaster

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Selling Tickets on StubHub or Ticketmaster

Post by DTalos »

I have a digital ticket to a sporting event that is only available on a smartphone via Google Pay. I would like to sell this ticket with the least amount of hassle possible online. It appears that Stubhub and Ticketmaster are the top two online ticket marketplaces. Which platform is easiest for a non-techie to use? Once a buyer purchases this digital ticket, is it automatically sent to buyer by the platform?

Is it safe to give bank account information to these platforms? Which platform attracts the most buyers for sporting event tickets?

I'm also curious how people, especially those 65+, without smartphones who want to attend a sporting event are supposed to purchase a ticket when they are mobile only?
bob60014

Re: Selling Tickets on StubHub or Ticketmaster

Post by bob60014 »

Both are easy to use, read and follow the steps in the ticket selling "how to do" on their support page. Both are as safe (your info) as any other online service.

Actually the e-ticket/smartphone use is one of the better developments to come along as the amount of counterfeit tickets as almost been eliminated. Those without smartphones, which is increasingly rare, will need to find a friend!
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I used both a lot when I had NFL season tickets. They work well but take a good cut for themselves. I also tried selling on Craigslist but that involved communicating with a lot of people and meeting people for the exchange. I was never comfortable with that approach and sometimes people would not show up. In the end, the cost was worth it to me with the brokers.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Have used StubHub to sell tickets many times over the years. Never an issue.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

DTalos wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:08 am I'm also curious how people, especially those 65+, without smartphones who want to attend a sporting event are supposed to purchase a ticket when they are mobile only?
The number of people without smartphones is very small. 81% of Americans own a smartphone. Digital tickets helps remove fraud from the process. If someone wants to buy a ticket and they don't have a smartphone, nothing stopping them from calling the arena and buying a ticket, or visiting in person, right? :wink:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I've bought and sold on StubHub many times and it was easy. I just bought baseball tickets on TicketMaster for two SF/Atlanta games and the only option is using your mobile phone. I imagine selling is easy as well. There were some problems with the parking passes I bought and getting in touch with an actual person at TicketMaster. I called today and got a canned speech about how they were busy due to COVID and being short handed, and to use their online portal, then a disconnect.

TicketMaster has a box to fill out for the tickets and event you are trying to sell your tickets to. If you bought them from TicketMaster they say you can simply use your account, but they have a method for reselling tickets not bought through them according to their website.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 am
DTalos wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:08 am I'm also curious how people, especially those 65+, without smartphones who want to attend a sporting event are supposed to purchase a ticket when they are mobile only?
The number of people without smartphones is very small. 81% of Americans own a smartphone. Digital tickets helps remove fraud from the process. If someone wants to buy a ticket and they don't have a smartphone, nothing stopping them from calling the arena and buying a ticket, or visiting in person, right? :wink:
If tickets are digital only and someone does not own a smartphone, then how can they buy them in person or via telephone?
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

DTalos wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:23 pm
If tickets are digital only and someone does not own a smartphone, then how can they buy them in person or via telephone?
I have bought and sold tickets on Ticketmaster many times. Buying or selling Ticketmaster takes a generous amount for themselves.

I have received tickets via an email, which I could print out, so no smartphone required. No need to purchase a physical ticket at all. The email tickets can be saved as a photo as the barcode is available. I do not have any email accounts on my smartphone, a photo of my email taken by my smartphone works.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

My season tickets for NFL are directly linked to Ticketmaster. Easy to list and manage sales. Yes they do take a cut and charge the buyer a fee but it’s easy and has eliminated my need to burn the tickets on short notice when my plans change and can’t attend game and eliminated the need for Craigslist hassle factor.

No issues with Ticketmaster and funds flow to my account.
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

Stubhub and Ticketmaster are both great.

I have used to Stubhub for years. It's very safe and easy.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I sold tickets for a couple of weeks ago on Ticketmaster for an event in Sept. When would I typically see the money?
Mark
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

markcoop wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:57 pm I sold tickets for a couple of weeks ago on Ticketmaster for an event in Sept. When would I typically see the money?
What does Ticketmaster say? https://help.ticketmaster.com/s/article ... uage=en_US

How and when do I get paid after selling my tickets?
If your tickets are sold, we will automatically notify you by email. To check on the status of your Exchange tickets, go to your Listings page.

Payment timing will vary. Payments typically process within 7 business days when listing tickets from your account. For your security, you may have to verify 2 small deposits if getting paid by direct deposit.

How do I verify the two Ticketmaster deposits to get paid by direct deposit?

Find the two deposits (each less than $1) in the checking account you used for your seller profile. Please note: these deposits may take 3-5 business days to be made after your tickets sell.

Sign into your Ticketmaster account from a desktop or laptop (note, you can't verify these deposits from a mobile device.
Tap Payment Options under Account Settings
Tap the Verify Now button under Selling Tickets
Enter the deposits in the boxes
Tap Submit
Once your direct deposit account is verified, you won't have to do this again unless your account info changes.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:00 pm
markcoop wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:57 pm I sold tickets for a couple of weeks ago on Ticketmaster for an event in Sept. When would I typically see the money?
What does Ticketmaster say? https://help.ticketmaster.com/s/article ... uage=en_US

How and when do I get paid after selling my tickets?
If your tickets are sold, we will automatically notify you by email. To check on the status of your Exchange tickets, go to your Listings page.

Payment timing will vary. Payments typically process within 7 business days when listing tickets from your account. For your security, you may have to verify 2 small deposits if getting paid by direct deposit.

How do I verify the two Ticketmaster deposits to get paid by direct deposit?

Find the two deposits (each less than $1) in the checking account you used for your seller profile. Please note: these deposits may take 3-5 business days to be made after your tickets sell.

Sign into your Ticketmaster account from a desktop or laptop (note, you can't verify these deposits from a mobile device.
Tap Payment Options under Account Settings
Tap the Verify Now button under Selling Tickets
Enter the deposits in the boxes
Tap Submit
Once your direct deposit account is verified, you won't have to do this again unless your account info changes.
Yeah, I did read that. I did the checking verification on July 21. So, I was expecting the payment to enter my bank account within 7 business days. But I haven't received anything yet. I checked my Ticketmaster account and it said the following: "Payout to Checking (USA) xxx. We’ll deposit your payout typically within 7 days after the event." So that makes it sound like I won't receive the money till a week after the event. So, I was curious what other people's experiences were receiving the money given what sounds to me as two conflicting statements.
Mark
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

Is it safe to give these platforms your bank account information? Yes, I realize that thousands already have, but if there is a breach, would it include bank account information?

From the perspective of a seller wanting the largest pool of buyers and not necessarily the top selling price, is StubHub or Ticketmaster preferred?
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I can say as a seller, Ticketmaster has made it ridiculously easy to buy tickets and then turn around and sell them. In my case, I did not know how many tickets I needed for the US Open. As it turned out, I bought 2 more than I needed (one couple was not available that weekend). I knew if that would be the case, I could just sell them on Ticketmaster. So, I ended up making a small profit. I am certainly a novice at selling tickets on the secondary market, but I found the process easy. Of course, I haven't received the money yet, but I trust it's coming.
Mark
goonie

Post by goonie »

Since almost all tickets are now electronic/digital, I'm most comfortable selling (or buying resale tickets) on whatever platform is the "official" one for the event/team. The transfer process is generally smoother and there's less chance of something going wrong. And due to the official platform's relationship with the event/team, it's going to have at least a pretty wide audience of potential buyers (or a pretty good supply of tickets from resellers). With that said, most events/teams in the US have either Ticketmaster or Stubhub as their official resale platform at the moment. Not all but most.

Warning - Stubhub's customer service has been really bad this summer (supposedly due to letting a lot of their employees go last year and not being able to hire enough this year). If you have a problem, it may be difficult getting help. Not sure about the current customer service situation with other platforms.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

markcoop wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:54 pm I can say as a seller, Ticketmaster has made it ridiculously easy to buy tickets and then turn around and sell them. In my case, I did not know how many tickets I needed for the US Open. As it turned out, I bought 2 more than I needed (one couple was not available that weekend). I knew if that would be the case, I could just sell them on Ticketmaster. So, I ended up making a small profit. I am certainly a novice at selling tickets on the secondary market, but I found the process easy. Of course, I haven't received the money yet, but I trust it's coming.
+1

All very easy inside the ticket master app. Just a few clicks to put one or more of your tickets up for sale. I received the money within a day.

I’d guess Ticketmaster has at least as good of reach as stubhub, because Ticketmaster is often the original source, so you get traffic from people who want tickets but are not yet aware the event is sold out etc
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
aj44

Post by aj44 »

DTalos wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:23 pm
The NFL team I have season tickets with on their FAQ states to call or email their ticket office for assistance if you don’t have a smartphone. That’s the first place I’d start with any team or event you’re trying to get tickets for sans smartphone. There’s probably still a way to go but it’s gonna be arduous.