Hidden Inflation [in product prices]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
scifilover

Hidden Inflation [in product prices]

Post by scifilover »

Yesterday, I made a trip to Costco and among other things bought a 30-roll package of Kirkland TP. When I got home and was storing the 5 six roll packages, I noticed that the design on them had changed. Huh! I had one of the old packages and it reported that it contained 6 rolls each with 425 sheets of TP. The new ones contained 380 sheets. The sheets are the same size. Indeed, the overall packages look to be the same size. But, this was a 10.5% reduction in the number of sheets on each roll. I can't tell you the exact price of the 30-roll package. Having priced TP at Safeway/Albertson and Kroger, I still think the Costco TP is a good buy, just not as good as it was.

So, I am wondering what other products are getting repackaged to hide changes in price?
jebmke

Re: Hidden Inflation

Post by jebmke »

All of them. Has been going on for decades.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
alexL

Post by alexL »

My wife comlains the same thing. This is the worst inflation in the past 20 years.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I remember an Andy Rooney piece, maybe in the mid 90s, on why coffee cans were less than the 1lb standard for years, but the same price, the company response he received was that they were just adapting to smaller portion sizes that reflects the changing demographics using the product. In this case, maybe people are using less TP to reduce waste.

I'm sorry, I don't have a square to spare.
Last edited by Kagord on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

scifilover wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 am So, I am wondering what other products are getting repackaged to hide changes in price?
Many. But this is nothing new.

Check the Unit Price Labels on the shelves.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

This happens all the time. See chocolate bars. I doubt there's a link between this and current inflation, or at least I would like to see a convincing argument for it.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Very common these days, has been going on forever. The two times, many years ago I realized it was when Miracle Whip went from 32oz to 30oz at the same price. Also, Ice Cream has shrunk a bit too.

Shrinkflation

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021 ... ous-cousin

I always calculate the cost per ounce when purchasing.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I'm just waiting for Ice Cream next:
1/2 Gallon -> 1.75QT -> 1.5QT -> ????

will it be 1.25QT, or something like 1.425QT?
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

scifilover wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 am Yesterday, I made a trip to Costco and among other things bought a 30-roll package of Kirkland TP. When I got home and was storing the 5 six roll packages, I noticed that the design on them had changed. Huh! I had one of the old packages and it reported that it contained 6 rolls each with 425 sheets of TP. The new ones contained 380 sheets. The sheets are the same size. Indeed, the overall packages look to be the same size. But, this was a 10.5% reduction in the number of sheets on each roll....
I have the new packaging also. It says the sheets are "thicker than ever before", and they really do feel thicker. I don't have an old roll around to compare it to, do you? Does the roll seem like the same size? If it does, then I guess this means they didn't really reduce the materials - they just put more material in each sheet. So if previously you needed 10 sheets to get the job done, then now you'll only need 9.

I hope that's the case - I know manufacturers have done this for decades - but I was hoping Costco wouldn't.
Silly Wabbit

Post by Silly Wabbit »

I'm told it's called "shrinkflation"
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Kagord wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:26 am I'm just waiting for Ice Cream next:

At some point they have to go back to a larger size, and then they'll advertise it as some sort of Family Size. Not everyone can relate to this example, but...Tampax did this many years ago. They started reducing their standard size box from 40, and when it ended up below 30 they suddenly introduced a big pack of 48. I imagine the ice cream makers will do the same; they'll get their standard package down to 1.25 quarts and suddenly have a Super Size next to it of 1/2 gallon.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

They have had different size rolls for some time. 480, 425, 380...you name it.
I don't think this is an example of "hidden inflation" as that number is very largely printed on the packaging.
This could simply be consolidating their manufacturing, etc...who knows.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I've been angry ever since Breyer's reduced vojume below a half gallon.

That was a LONG time ago so I can't blame the Fed for this one.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

FWIW, it appears to me that the rolls of Bounty are not as bountiful as before. I didn't measure this to be sure, but I think there are less paper towels per roll. Also related, one of my pet peeves is the "6 rolls equals 18 rolls" thing. 6 rolls is 6 rolls. So not only are they saying that 6 rolls is 18 (or whatever number they use), they are saying that 6 thinner rolls is 18.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

JoeRetire wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:10 am
scifilover wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 am So, I am wondering what other products are getting repackaged to hide changes in price?

Right, so 'hidden' only for consumers who don't pay attention to the unit price. The fact that manufacturers bother to do this would seem to indicate many people don't pay enough attention, though OTOH the fact so many people grouse about it shows that many do.

Also not 'hidden' in terms of the calculation of CPI which takes it into account, certainly the simple cases like 'the candy bar got smaller'. There are of course constant debates back and forth about adjustments in either direction BLS makes for the quality and utility of goods sold under the same general title ('iphone' is a product title but the capability keeps increasing, that has to be taken account of somehow; if perhaps the quality of TP in the package was higher/lower than before that would have to be also).
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

JackoC wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:10 am

Right, so 'hidden' only for consumers who don't pay attention to the unit price. The fact that manufacturers bother to do this would seem to indicate many people don't pay enough attention, though OTOH the fact so many people grouse about it shows that many do.
Most people don't pay attention to these changes and don't read the unit price shelf tags.
They grouse only when they read about it or see it on the news. And even then, they grouse for a bit on social media, then continue buying as before.

Manufacturers know this.
StartedAt22

Post by StartedAt22 »

JackoC wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:10 am

Also not 'hidden' in terms of the calculation of CPI which takes it into account, certainly the simple cases like 'the candy bar got smaller'. There are of course constant debates back and forth about adjustments in either direction BLS makes for the quality and utility of goods sold under the same general title ('iphone' is a product title but the capability keeps increasing, that has to be taken account of somehow; if perhaps the quality of TP in the package was higher/lower than before that would have to be also).
I suppose you could weigh an old roll and a new roll. Maybe there are less sheets but they are thicker?

Regardless, this has been happening for a long time. Portions decrease, but pricing stays the same. Or, in some cases, pricing may even increase. Double whammy.
A task begun is nearly half complete | Enough is as good as a feast | Risk: Ensure your goals can be met even under worst case scenario and be realistic.
sport

Post by sport »

boglegirl wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 am
scifilover wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 am Yesterday, I made a trip to Costco and among other things bought a 30-roll package of Kirkland TP. When I got home and was storing the 5 six roll packages, I noticed that the design on them had changed. Huh! I had one of the old packages and it reported that it contained 6 rolls each with 425 sheets of TP. The new ones contained 380 sheets. The sheets are the same size. Indeed, the overall packages look to be the same size. But, this was a 10.5% reduction in the number of sheets on each roll....
I have the new packaging also. It says the sheets are "thicker than ever before", and they really do feel thicker. I don't have an old roll around to compare it to, do you? Does the roll seem like the same size? If it does, then I guess this means they didn't really reduce the materials - they just put more material in each sheet. So if previously you needed 10 sheets to get the job done, then now you'll only need 9.

I hope that's the case - I know manufacturers have done this for decades - but I was hoping Costco wouldn't.
This is the answer. It is a different product, not just a different quantity. Costco generally keeps sizes the same and raises the price if necessary. For example, their coffee is still a 3 lb. can.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Shrinkflation" is an easy way to pass along increasing costs directly to consumers without most of them noticing. Happens all the time, with virtually every consumer product. The worst example for my family recently is that Adams natural PB went from 40oz to 32oz jars in the last year while the price remained the same (it has gone up significantly in the past 6 months, from $4 to now $6.99). We now just grind our own, which used to be more expensive but is now nearly 50% cheaper per ounce. I am a hawk about keeping my eye on price/ounce and not total price.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Kagord wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:26 am I'm just waiting for Ice Cream next:

I'm seriously thinking this is coming.

My sister was struggling with her age old holiday jello-mold recipes. They were tasting terrible. Then it dawned on her that the recipe was ruined by shrinkflation. A 1.5 qt "container" doesn't equal mom's "container" at 2 qt, and it matters -- a lot.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Do you think this is something new manufactures are doing???
squirm

Post by squirm »

Cereal boxes are very funny now. Post and others now make the boxes really tall but skinny. Doesn't fool me though.
Orange juice, 48oz is next.

I guess it's all ok as this isn't considered inflation.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

As for changing quantities, sizes, etc., has anyone noticed the range of packaging of, say, Charmin UltraSoft?

There are "mega-rolls", "double-rolls", etc, but what is doubled - or mega'd - isn't easy to discern. Sometimes it's "= 12 rolls" ... but which kind of "roll"?
In fact, it's almost impossible to make a good comparison. Sometimes a bottom line mention of price mentions how many "sheets" (are they doubled or not!?), but other times, it's per total surface area of the TP.

As a long term pet peeve of mine is something I taught my children starting decades ago, and it's only gotten worse: When the "giant economy size" is, in fact, MORE PER UNIT (ounce, for example) than the "regular" or "small" size. Sometimes it's as easy - IF one looks - as seeing that 2 regular packages have *more* ounces together, but cost less togather than that giant size.

Sometimes these sizes are right next to each other, so a rather simple glance, IF ONE BOTHERED OR KNEW TO CHECK, would quickly show that the giant economy size just... isn't.

This seemed to have diminished (the practice, not the sizes!) some time ago, but it's definitely baaaack. It's all a way to trick the customer, and, in the "giant ECONOMY size", there's just no other way to explain it. (Or, I haven't heard one...)
:annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
squirm

Post by squirm »

One thing positive (and pretty much the only thing) about Wally World is they usually also have price per unit.

As far as TP goes, I find Angel Soft gives a good bang for the buck.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

scifilover wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 am Yesterday, I made a trip to Costco and among other things bought a 30-roll package of Kirkland TP. When I got home and was storing the 5 six roll packages, I noticed that the design on them had changed. Huh! I had one of the old packages and it reported that it contained 6 rolls each with 425 sheets of TP. The new ones contained 380 sheets. The sheets are the same size. Indeed, the overall packages look to be the same size. But, this was a 10.5% reduction in the number of sheets on each roll. I can't tell you the exact price of the 30-roll package. Having priced TP at Safeway/Albertson and Kroger, I still think the Costco TP is a good buy, just not as good as it was.

So, I am wondering what other products are getting repackaged to hide changes in price?
viewtopic.php?p=6105218#p6105218
larrydmsn

Post by larrydmsn »

I remember a carton of Florida's Natural Orange Juice used to be 64 oz. Then it shrank to 59 oz, and now it is 52 oz. Similar shrinkage for other brands.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

What are you going to do? Not buy it?

If you're pressed about it, I recently got 24 rolls of 300-sheet/roll 2-ply 4"x4" TP at Target for $11. It's 100% recycled (or so it says). You can't tell. And it totally doesn't matter, except that the use for which it is intended means it's probably definitely better for the world as a whole (and my wallet, apparently) for it to be composed of recycled materials.
Last edited by Beensabu on Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Topic Author
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

boglegirl wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 am

Now, I am a little confused.....I used my kitchen digital scale and weighed the old and new 6 roll packages. Both weighed 1240G. They appear to be the same size, and they take the same amount of room to store. So, perhaps this is a more sophisticated move by C to get us to use more TP.....Most people probably use the same number of sheets when they use the product. If you used to use 4, will you now use 3? I doubt it. Inertia is very powerful....Or, they could be responding to customers wanting a softer tissue....
Last edited by scifilover on Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

Beensabu wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:56 pm What are you going to do? Not buy it?

If you're pressed about it, I recently got 24 rolls of 30-sheet/roll 2-ply 4"x4" TP at Target for $11. It's 100% recycled (or so it says). You can't tell. And it totally doesn't matter, except that the use for which it is intended means it's probably definitely better for the world as a whole (and my wallet, apparently) for it to be composed of recycled materials.
Are you sure that is 30 sheets per roll? Maybe 300???
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

scifilover wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:26 am Now, I am a little confused.....I used my kitchen digital scale and weighed the old and new 6 roll packages. Both weighed 1240G. They appear to be the same size, and they take the same amount of room to store. So, perhaps this is a more sophisticated move by C to get us to use more TP.....Most people probably use the same number of sheets when they use the product. If you used to use 4, will you now use 3? I doubt it. Inertia is very powerful....Or, they could be responding to customers wanting a softer tissue....
How many ounces of TP do you use for each wipe?
Or are you like most people, and use a certain number of sheets without regard to the weight of those sheets?
hank-johnson

Post by hank-johnson »

It's not only the packing size, but for edibles it'll also be the formula as well. Look at a bag of Doritos or a sauce that's been around for a while and you'll notice the ingredient statement has changed over time to account for changing preferences and more importantly a stealth way to reduce the average ingredient cost without significantly changing the flavor/taste profiles. This is usually reported as something like 'Continuous Improvement' programs or something similar.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

This is a fascinating thread for me. I recently read this article on "Dollar Store Economics" which touched upon a similar train of thought (https://thehustle.co/the-economics-of-dollar-stores/).
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

hank-johnson wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:17 am It's not only the packing size, but for edibles it'll also be the formula as well. Look at a bag of Doritos or a sauce that's been around for a while and you'll notice the ingredient statement has changed over time to account for changing preferences and more importantly a stealth way to reduce the average ingredient cost without significantly changing the flavor/taste profiles. This is usually reported as something like 'Continuous Improvement' programs or something similar.
I've lived in Colorado too long... My initial reaction to your use of the word "edibles" had me thinking of pot shops. I don't partake in those, but do partake in ice cream, which someone else noted is sold in smaller containers than previously. Even the "Improved" varieties are in smaller containers relative to the past. Your observation regarding ingredients is a good one. Smaller ice cream containers are probably better for my health but worse for my finances.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

jaqenhghar wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:11 am This is a fascinating thread for me. I recently read this article on "Dollar Store Economics" which touched upon a similar train of thought (https://thehustle.co/the-economics-of-dollar-stores/).
Thanks for posting this, very interesting. I regularly buy birthday cards at the dollar store.

The dollar store near me is a very busy place. I live in a wealthy area (I'm not worthy...haha), so the article's reference to dollar store locations is very interesting. Their strategy of being in lower income areas is interesting and understandable. But whatever they are doing in my area certainly seems to be working in terms of attracting customers.

The school supplies that I looked at appeared to be in smaller quantities per package (and cheapo knockoff brands) than at Target... So buyer beware, as the article suggests.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 pm As for changing quantities, sizes, etc., has anyone noticed the range of packaging of, say, Charmin UltraSoft?

There are "mega-rolls", "double-rolls", etc, but what is doubled - or mega'd - isn't easy to discern. Sometimes it's "= 12 rolls" ... but which kind of "roll"?
In fact, it's almost impossible to make a good comparison. Sometimes a bottom line mention of price mentions how many "sheets" (are they doubled or not!?), but other times, it's per total surface area of the TP.

As a long term pet peeve of mine is something I taught my children starting decades ago, and it's only gotten worse: When the "giant economy size" is, in fact, MORE PER UNIT (ounce, for example) than the "regular" or "small" size. Sometimes it's as easy - IF one looks - as seeing that 2 regular packages have *more* ounces together, but cost less togather than that giant size.
RM this is a big pet peeve of mine too! The ridiculous names (ultra mega size? Really?) make it challenging to compare within brands and between brands. Sigh...

I guess i just should be happy that people don't seem to be hoarding it these days...
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Although companies do this as a way to raise prices in a stealth way, I don't believe this was the case for Costco. They made this change in the middle of the toilet paper/paper towel shortages, and posted signs announcing it. At the time, I checked the unit pricing and it was the same. (I didn't pay attention to if they raised prices since then.)

Link to some industry rag talking about it: https://tissueonlinenorthamerica.com/co ... er-towels/
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 am Although companies do this as a way to raise prices in a stealth way, I don't believe this was the case for Costco. They made this change in the middle of the toilet paper/paper towel shortages, and posted signs announcing it. At the time, I checked the unit pricing and it was the same. (I didn't pay attention to if they raised prices since then.)

Link to some industry rag talking about it: https://tissueonlinenorthamerica.com/co ... er-towels/
That was surprising to read - and very nice... that they made smaller rolls, of the identical paper towels, to have more rolls to sell, but did not increase the price per piece.

Yes, it would be interesting to know if they've since raised the price, and if so (I'm assuming they did, given price increases elsewhere), when and by how much.

For something like paper towels, the 'unit pricing' could be deceiving, IF the "unit" is "per paper towel" (or per 100, etc.), rather than per sq.ft. of product... and now we are back to the thickness, etc.
It's almost impossible to track some of this, at least for average consumers.

But back to the Costco paper towels: I'm assuming that it actually cost them more to do this, both by needing to adjust the machinery and also because the cost of packaging 12 smaller rolls of paper towels per case, for example, is going to be more per [identical] sheet than if the rolls were larger.
I mean, wasn't this, waaaay back, the idea behind the "giant economy size"? :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

scifilover wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:30 am
Beensabu wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:56 pm What are you going to do? Not buy it?

If you're pressed about it, I recently got 24 rolls of 30-sheet/roll 2-ply 4"x4" TP at Target for $11. It's 100% recycled (or so it says). You can't tell. And it totally doesn't matter, except that the use for which it is intended means it's probably definitely better for the world as a whole (and my wallet, apparently) for it to be composed of recycled materials.
Are you sure that is 30 sheets per roll? Maybe 300???
Lol, you're right. Typo!
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:20 pm
wolf359 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 am Although companies do this as a way to raise prices in a stealth way, I don't believe this was the case for Costco. They made this change in the middle of the toilet paper/paper towel shortages, and posted signs announcing it. At the time, I checked the unit pricing and it was the same. (I didn't pay attention to if they raised prices since then.)

That was surprising to read - and very nice... that they made smaller rolls, of the identical paper towels, to have more rolls to sell, but did not increase the price per piece.

Yes, it would be interesting to know if they've since raised the price, and if so (I'm assuming they did, given price increases elsewhere), when and by how much.

For something like paper towels, the 'unit pricing' could be deceiving, IF the "unit" is "per paper towel" (or per 100, etc.), rather than per sq.ft. of product... and now we are back to the thickness, etc.
It's almost impossible to track some of this, at least for average consumers.

But back to the Costco paper towels: I'm assuming that it actually cost them more to do this, both by needing to adjust the machinery and also because the cost of packaging 12 smaller rolls of paper towels per case, for example, is going to be more per [identical] sheet than if the rolls were larger.
I mean, wasn't this, waaaay back, the idea behind the "giant economy size"? :wink:

RM
The price is probably the same. Costco uses loss leaders.

There's a reason the price of a cooked chicken has been $5 for decades. And a hotdog and a drink are $1.25. People shop there just for these things, and buy an average $100 or so per shopping trip.

Paper towels or toilet paper don't really cost them that much if it motivates you to come to the warehouse. And while you're there, you might pick up something else...

Costco makes a significant portion of their profit with the membership fees. That helps subsidize the loss leaders.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

This doesn't apply to everything. I'm pretty sure that my clothes are getting bigger.
namajones

Post by namajones »

In much of the world, people use their hand and water, not toilet paper. Maybe it's time to show those toilet paper companies that their way is not the only way.

Lower demand will lead to lower prices.

Toilet paper does not really clean well, anyway:

https://housecaravan.com/is-toilet-pape ... our%20butt.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

I remember an exhibit at MSI in Chicago with a line up of coke cans, hamburgers, and other food showing how much bigger everything had gotten over the last 100 years.
gokartmozart

Post by gokartmozart »

I have a friend who worked as a process engineer at a toilet paper manufacturing plant. He pointed out the various ways manufacturers tout their wares. This one has more sheets. That one has fluffier sheets. Another has more square feet. Whatever attribute they've optimized and are touting, they de-optimize the other attributes to make up for it.

His advice to cut through this b.s. was to buy toilet paper on a dollars per pound basis. My wife pretends she does not know me when I carry a couple of candidate packages over to the produce section to use the weigh scales there.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

In this case, on the Costco Kirkland TP, both the old and new packages weigh 13.2 Lbs. So there isn't a change in material usage, the new one is just thicker.
Godot

Post by Godot »

namajones wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:17 am In much of the world, people use their hand and water, not toilet paper. Maybe it's time to show those toilet paper companies that their way is not the only way.

Lower demand will lead to lower prices.

Toilet paper does not really clean well, anyway:

https://housecaravan.com/is-toilet-pape ... our%20butt.
Seriously. Get a bidet, or bidet attachment. The toilet paper industrial complex has controlled this country for too long!
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
namajones

Post by namajones »

Godot wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:41 pm
Seriously. Get a bidet, or bidet attachment. The toilet paper industrial complex has controlled this country for too long!
Totally agree. It's a crappy situation.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:57 am
The price is probably the same. Costco uses loss leaders.

There's a reason the price of a cooked chicken has been $5 for decades. And a hotdog and a drink are $1.25. People shop there just for these things, and buy an average $100 or so per shopping trip.

Paper towels or toilet paper don't really cost them that much if it motivates you to come to the warehouse. And while you're there, you might pick up something else...

Costco makes a significant portion of their profit with the membership fees. That helps subsidize the loss leaders.
Every seller of grocery items uses loss leaders. In fact the Costco-skeptic argument is usually the other way around: that spending lots of time with the sale circulars of numerous other stores, picking and choosing when you buy, you could buy *their* variety of loss leaders to do better than shopping at Costco. Which IME is doubtful for some items (like paper products, or soda, both those are almost always cheaper at Costco even the best sales at our local supermarket where we do buy various other things). And time (and gas) is money shopping around too much. But it may go off on a well worn general tangent of pro/anti-Costco including the old chestnut 'significant profit from membership fees'. This supposes shoppers actually ignore the fee . Any such assumption probably applies to somebody, but if it doesn't apply to us, and no real reason for us to care if others factor it in or not. I'm quite aware of what we pay in fee (usually between ~$60 and a few $10's negative, $120 membership minus 2% Costco cashback), the various big items on which we save couple $100 or more per purchase (tire set, mattress and trip to Ireland were recent examples) and keep a pretty close eye on relative price of packaged goods (in many categories Costco is consistently superior to our local supermarkets except for most unusual sales, though sometimes Costco packages are too big or selection too limited) and leave it to wife what she finds of superior quality at Costco (in categories like meat, fish, produce) or not.

Maybe not too much a tangent though because basic theme of thread is that *other people* aren't noticing 'shrinkflation'. But what matters to me is a) whether I notice and b) whether there are alternatives. For example if Costco had recently become easier to beat on household paper product prices. Not that I've noticed, though our TP consumption is fairly low, storage of big packages no problem, so we haven't bought a package there this year so far.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:00 am I've been angry ever since Breyer's reduced vojume below a half gallon.

That was a LONG time ago so I can't blame the Fed for this one.
Package smaller and the ice cream has more air whipped into it. Breyer's is a weak and pale version of its former self. We gave up and switched to Alden's or Tilamook brand a few years ago.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:54 pm Package smaller and the ice cream has more air whipped into it. Breyer's is a weak and pale version of its former self. We gave up and switched to Alden's or Tilamook brand a few years ago.
We were discussing this tonight. Breyers has completely turned from a high-quality brand proud of their ingredients to low-quality with far more sketchy ingredients. The younger generation didn't even know they used to be good.

Marylander1
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I'm glad I'm not losing my mind. For a special treat, last year I had some Breyers for the first time in many years. It was... unsubstantial. Something was wrong. The ingredient list was still short and simple. I thought it was in my head.

So you guys bring up the idea of air, and I just pulled up the list of the natural flavors. Milk, cream, sugar, gum, flavor.

Ah, milk first, and what's this gum? Clever. Less cream, and fillers. Whip it up, and what do you have? Shrinkflation.