Best Keurig coffee pods for the money?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Best Keurig coffee pods for the money?

Post by YeahBuddy »

Wife and I are daily coffee drinkers and we prefer to make ours at home with our Keurig. We consume 2-4 cups a day. She likes Dunkin and sticks with it. I am complicated and can't find a coffee I truly enjoy. I like to keep costs down but at the same time I've found I do not enjoy the taste of the cheaper k cups, specifically Caza trail on amazon. Newmans own are decent. Others I've tried include Starbucks, Barrie House, Solimo, Folgers, and other variety packs.

I'm now into Black Rifle Coffee but the costs have gone way up. Not as expensive as a cup of Joe on the run but still much more than what I've paid in the past and the kicker is I don't truly enjoy the taste. I usually put just milk in my coffee for calorie reasons and sometimes add a splash of cream. Maybe I should add something different? Trying to keep calories down as I like to stay in reasonable shape.

So what does everyone recommend? I've heard good things about "Deathwish" coffee and Bulletproof. But again, costs...

Maybe I just do not enjoy the taste of coffee and I should kick the habit? Buying a French press or some other way of brewing that requires a substantial investment in time or money isn't an option at this point. Thanks in advance! :thumbsup
Light weight baby!
bob60014

Re: Best Keurig coffee pods for the money?

Post by bob60014 »

Can't recommend a coffee but can offer the usual suggestion to keep costs low. Buy your favorite coffee that's in a bag, then use a reusable pod in the Keurig. A 12 oz bag of Starbucks, as example @ & $5.99/bag, will last me a couple of weeks.
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

I'm a big fan of the Great Value pods from Walmart (about $0.25 each) and the Solimo or Happy Belly - both I believe are Amazon brands. Sometimes the Amazon pods are around the same price, but lately it has been all over the place.

I used to be really into dark coffees, but now find the "breakfast blend" or similar to be to my liking.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Try an Aeropress and a good hand grinder. You'll never look back!
Keurig is so limiting. All the variables (time, temp, grind size) are preset, and you can't grind fresh.
DonM17

Post by DonM17 »

I am not into the high end brands but we are currently using the Good Host dark roasted biodegradable pods that are sold on Amazon...they work for us but your tastes may differ.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Putting good ground coffee in a reusable pod is the way to go. Tastes better and cheaper than prepackaged one-time use pods. And you still get most of the benefit of using your Keurig (single cup brew, quick and easy). Only added steps are filling the pod and then rinsing the coffee out of the pod after brewing - takes only a couple of additional minutes.
CoastLawyer2030

Post by CoastLawyer2030 »

RobLyons wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:28 am Wife and I are daily coffee drinkers and we prefer to make ours at home with our Keurig. We consume 2-4 cups a day. She likes Dunkin and sticks with it. I am complicated and can't find a coffee I truly enjoy. I like to keep costs down but at the same time I've found I do not enjoy the taste of the cheaper k cups, specifically Caza trail on amazon. Newmans own are decent. Others I've tried include Starbucks, Barrie House, Solimo, Folgers, and other variety packs.

I'm now into Black Rifle Coffee but the costs have gone way up. Not as expensive as a cup of Joe on the run but still much more than what I've paid in the past and the kicker is I don't truly enjoy the taste. I usually put just milk in my coffee for calorie reasons and sometimes add a splash of cream. Maybe I should add something different? Trying to keep calories down as I like to stay in reasonable shape.

So what does everyone recommend? I've heard good things about "Deathwish" coffee and Bulletproof. But again, costs...

Maybe I just do not enjoy the taste of coffee and I should kick the habit? Buying a French press or some other way of brewing that requires a substantial investment in time or money isn't an option at this point. Thanks in advance! :thumbsup
You're going to get a lot of non-Keurig suggestions, but I love my Keurig. Fast, convenient, pretty good coffee with zero effort. I find using a reusable pod to defeat the purpose of getting a Keurig.

I'm a huge fan of McDonald's and Caribou. The cheapest way to do those is to sign up for the automatic K-Cup delivery straight on the Keurig website. I get 96 cups delivered every two months for pretty cheap.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

+1 for reusable pods and the beans of your choosing if you go the Keurig route. I did the disposable pods from Costco/Kirkland for a while, but really had a hard time getting past the wastefulness of those plastic K-cups.

Really, though, I agree with the aero press, pour-over, etc., suggestions. They're superior to K-cups in every conceivable fashion. I do a single Moka pot each morning, as I enjoy one cup of very strong coffee to spur some motivation.
locke1141

Post by locke1141 »

My father enjoys the Costco brand k-cups, Kirkland signature. They are ~$30-35 for 120 cups - there’s a sale like once a quarter for a few dollars off. I like a number of the Peet’s offerings and there’s a few ways to cut costs there. Costco sells two or three types of Peet’s k-cups in bulk for about 50 cents/cup, or you can buy gift cards at a 20% discount to Peets.com. You then wait for a sale at Peets.com for an additional 20% off and pay with your discount gift cards.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

The best I have found for my taste and budget is Sam Club Colombian Supreme. About 28 cents apiece, occasionally less if on sale. I like it a bit better than the Kirkland counterpart, it’s just a little bolder.
Bigt3142

Post by Bigt3142 »

+1 for reusable pods with your favorite coffee grind. It's cheapest way to use a Keurig and you can get better coffee. I also use the pod filters, which makes clean up much easier than going without the filter.
golfrgirl

Post by golfrgirl »

I agree with abner kravitz that the Sam's Colombian Supreme is my favorite bargain pod. Love that it's a bold taste and the price is good. However, I also like to grind my own in the reusable pod with the filters for easy cleanup. I find the secret to that is to do a VERY fine grind when using the filter.
One more thing: The Seattle's Best Bistro ground coffee is my absolute favorite ground coffee when making a pot. Can't recommend it enough. And it's at Sam's or Walmart.
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

I really like the dark roasts and the fog chaser from the SF Bay Coffee Co.

They're less expensive and use a lot less plastic.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

You should keep trying but my limited experience is that the Keurig process makes for bad American-style coffee. I’m not sure any coffee can overcome the other factors which ruin it (temp, grind, water/coffee ratio, etc). Nespresso is better, although still well short of real espresso. You said French press is too expensive but you can get a FP pot for about $10. Get a grinder, electric kettle and some fabulous beans and you can make some very good coffee fairly quickly and cheaply.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
douginct

Post by douginct »

I like Kirkland Pacific Bold at Costco. Reasonable price and they are on sale every couple of months. I think the current sale book has them on sale. I also like Tully’s Hawaiian Blend.
JustBill

Post by JustBill »

Having tried many brands we have settled on Gevalia Dark Royal Roast. Results are always consistent and deliver a remarkably enjoyable cup of coffee. I just order a 24 pack for 14.64 from walmart.com. - Enjoy!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The best value I found is to buy from the Keurig site. They have an offer for your first purchase when buying a new machine that cuts the cost way down, close to half off. I bought the maximum number of pods I could, c. ~120. Then I used the Keurig points I earned to buy more later, which made for some free coffee. After that, local sales and Costco are probably your best bet.

I have found that all of the Green Mountain Roasters pods are good, with the following to be the best for me: Colombia Blend, Nantucket Roast, Dark Magic. The Breakfast Blend, whether Green Mountain or Costco/Kirkland, is good (no off-notes) but has little personality. I have noted in my personal files that 8 O'Clock Original Blend is also quite good, McCafe Colombian too.

If your machine has this feature, always use it: The Strong button. It doesn't make the coffee stronger, it extends the brewing time, which develops more flavor notes. It makes a world of difference for any pod you put in there, for the inconvenience of an extra 20 seconds or so.

I cycle around from brewed coffee (pre-ground or self-ground) to pods to instant to various teas. Variety is the spice of life. I don't have an espresso machine, but am tempted. There's something about drinking a small amount of well-brewed strong coffee that is very appealing. That tiny little ounce at the end of a meal in a good Cuban restaurant is non pareil (without equal).
kelway

Post by kelway »

I like Aldi's Donut Shop pods... similar to Dunkin' taste. Very cheap too, as you'd expect.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Another vote for an Aeropress which is around $30. We bought ours for camping and liked it so much, we use it at home also.

https://aeropress.com

We enjoy Lavazza Super Crema medium roast whole bean coffee.
Wiki
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

The wife and I did Pacific Bold from Costco for years. For some reason it just started to taste bad to me, although not my wife, so I started trying different brands, never did find one I could stomach. As it was cheap I tried a pour over using a V60, filters, and some local roasted and ground coffee. Took a couple months to get it down but the difference it well worth the effort. Ends up costing me .32 per cup, not including the filters, which is about the same as the Costco K cups we get on sale.

I have on occasion gone back and used the Kourig when time dictates, to bad it tastes so bad.

Just saying that if you can't find a Kourig pod that works, it may be time for a change.

My wife still uses the Kourig all the time and is fine with it.
Regards | Bob
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

golfrgirl wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:19 pm I agree with abner kravitz that the Sam's Colombian Supreme is my favorite bargain pod. Love that it's a bold taste and the price is good. However, I also like to grind my own in the reusable pod with the filters for easy cleanup. I find the secret to that is to do a VERY fine grind when using the filter.
One more thing: The Seattle's Best Bistro ground coffee is my absolute favorite ground coffee when making a pot. Can't recommend it enough. And it's at Sam's or Walmart.
We like a little bit milder blend and have been buying Sam's Donut Shop pods for a while now. They run about $0.25 per pod. For camping, we bring along a practically indestructible acrylic french press. And once in a great while I'll pull out the Bialetti Moka Express Pot or even the Francis-Francis espresso machine for a Cappucino. But for daily coffee it's almost always the Sam's Donut Shop pods....

For the OP, nobody here is going to be able to tell you what the "Best Keurig coffee pods for the money" is going to be for you, since we don't have your tastebuds on our tongues. :D

Cheers.
BillWalters

Post by BillWalters »

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Hi Rob. I usually do 2 - 4 K-cups per day and I often loose my taste for a specific k-cup coffee, so I sometimes need to mix it up for my taste buds. I have tried many different companies, but most are either overpriced, overhyped or just plain bad. I've used the reusable k-cups, but have never been happy with the results. Depending upon the available coupons/sales, I oscillate between the three k-cups below purchased from Amazon on rotating monthly subscribe and save (<$30/month)

1st Fav - Amazon Brand - 100 Ct. Solimo Dark Roast - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079V ... UTF8&psc=1
2nd Fav - Organic Coffee Co. OneCUP Java Love 80 Ct Medium Light Roast - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H ... UTF8&psc=1
3rd Fav - SF Bay Coffee OneCUP Fog Chaser 120 Ct Medium Dark Roast - https://www.amazon.com/Francisco-Compat ... th=1&psc=1
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Honestly, just try a standard coffee machine with some decent coffee (ideally whole bean) or Nespresso. I've had Keurig (usually in hotels) and regardless of the brand of capsule, it was weak and under-extracted, a very poor facsimile of coffee. Oh, and it's so bad for the environment the inventor regrets inventing it: https://money.cnn.com/2015/03/04/news/k ... index.html (To be fair I think since then recyclability has slightly improved, but no doubt the vast majority of K-Cups are still ending up in landfills. Nespresso by contrast has a very good recycling system, with prepaid bags for you to return the capsules.)
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

I like the Dunkin Donuts dark roast or Caribou blend for the Keurig. I try to get them on sale but I don't care if they are not. I drink 2 cups/day and the cost is reasonable for the utter enjoyment received.