What FootWear Has The Softest Souls In The Heel Area? Huge Thanks for your help.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

What FootWear Has The Softest Souls In The Heel Area? Huge Thanks for your help.

Post by Sandtrap »

Follow Up:
Thanks everyone for your kind help.
After trying a lot of the products suggested, I ended up with:

Shoes: Brooks Glycerin 19 (about $150) on Amazon.
They do not have EEEE sizes but ordering at least 1 size larger in 2E worked.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Indoor and slippers:
OOFOS Original (did not know that the toe strap is called a "thong", so. . .thong slippers :shock: ) on Amazon. $50
The sizing is strange as the website lists Women's/Euro/USA on the same slipper. So order carefully. Runs smallish so order l size larger as well.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... th=1&psc=1

Aloha
j

(Original post)
Due to several ongoing feet issues, I am looking for any type of footwear that has the softest souls, overall but especially "in the heel area" especially.

I have tried a zillion soul inserts and I need something better.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your helpful consumer product help.
j :D

(per forum ongoing guidelines and moderation, please refrain and obstain :D from specific medical discussion) Mahalo.

Follow Up:
Huge thanks to everyone responding: So far, the OOZFoam (spel) "thong" (between the toes) style slippers have worked great in my home, especially on the main floor with harder floor surfaces. Although they seem to put transfer more pressure to my arches (ouch).
The rest of the products suggested are on order and I've been trying them out. The "Crocs" are a no go as they are too hard and not squishy. Thicker socks and various insoles haven't worked out. So, still searching.
Aloha
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
TomatoTomahto

Re: What FootWear Has The Softest Souls In The Heel Area?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

While I like supportive yet soft soles in my footwear, my wife tells me my soul is loud :D

I use orthotics, specifically Protalus. I also use Darned Tough socks with additional cushioning.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:21 am Due to several ongoing feet issues, I am looking for any type of footwear that has the softest souls, overall but especially "in the heel area" especially.

(per forum ongoing guidelines and moderation, please refrain and obstain :D from specific medical discussion) Mahalo.
I've used these for years on a physical therapist's recommendation. They never wear out. I have several pairs - casual shoes, dress shoes, sandals, etc. Be sure to order the correct size (shown in link)

https://www.amazon.com/Bauerfeind-Unise ... merReviews
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Check out the Hoka Bondi. Softest shoe I have ever worn.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:21 am Due to several ongoing feet issues, I am looking for any type of footwear that has the softest souls, overall but especially "in the heel area" especially.

I use Hoka One One shoes specifically for this reason. The Bondi 7 model is their most "plush" model.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Maybe raise and strengthen the rest of your foot and not use your heels at all?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Wait, wut? Footwear has souls? :shock:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
matthewbarnhart

Post by matthewbarnhart »

For me, switching to barefoot/minimalmist/zero-drop shoes has done wonders for my knee and foot pain. It took a little bit of adjusting but now I can't imagine going back.

I personally wear Lems for daily wear and Altras for running. (Altra have very cushy models that are still wide and zero-drop, if that's what you need.) This site was invaluable in helping me find shoes that work for me: https://anyasreviews.com/benefits-baref ... ist-shoes/
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Hokas are the best!

Also, Spenco or Hoka recovery sandals. Never walk barefoot.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
senex

Post by senex »

Among runners I know, Hoka shoes are the current hot ticket, due to a thick, soft heel. Perhaps worth a try.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I bought a pair of Brooks Glycerin which are advertised to have very soft heels. They have been excellent shoes and are very comfortable. However, the best shoe for you will also depend the shape of your foot and gait. The Glycerin has a wide toebox which I need but may not work for you. I advise going to an athletic specialty store (not a big box store) to find the best shoe for you.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Another vote for Hoka. My wife swears by hers!
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TexasPE wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:42 am

I've used these for years on a physical therapist's recommendation. They never wear out. I have several pairs - casual shoes, dress shoes, sandals, etc. Be sure to order the correct size (shown in link)

https://www.amazon.com/Bauerfeind-Unise ... merReviews
I’ll give it a try.
Thanks!
Aloha
j🌺

If you can, please PM me for why you needed them.

DE says they look like “bra inserts”.😹
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:58 am Wait, wut? Footwear has souls? :shock:
I believe that I have a soul.

And I know that my footwear has a sole.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:58 am Wait, wut? Footwear has souls? :shock:
Souls footwear

Soul Naturalizer
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you are looking for something a little “dressier”, I have found Ecco to be very comfortable.
afan

Post by afan »

If this is an ongoing problem it may be cheaper to see a podiatrist than to keep buying different shoes and inserts.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
RRJeff

Post by RRJeff »

Give Adidas Ultraboost a try. Very comfortable, squishy soles. I threw away my orthotic inserts after wearing them. My sister swears by her Hoka Ones. The soles look very cushioned on those, but I haven’t tried them personally.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

I have heel pain that closely resembles pain "in the heel area" (or I think it does). I can't walk or stand too long and tried several insoles. One of my friends turned me on to these flip flops have been life changing and now I do not want to wear anything else.

https://www.amazon.com/OOFOS-Unisex-Ori ... B00JWYCCEC

They have shoes too but I have not tried them yet. Also, you want the thong style flip flops because the other "slide style" let your foot slip forward. The only caveat is that they soft foam material holds on to dust and dirt, but these are machine washable - I just hose them down and they are good to go. I highly recommend these if you have heel pain or need arch support.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Have you tired the Orthofeet brand?

Also, the Brooks Beast, especially if you can find the Beast 18, they changed the last on the beast 20, but the 18 was perfect for me.

Highly recommend Brooks over NB, et al.

Likely to get me banned for life :oops: ....but if it is PF: try Orthofeet.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Having been in a similar situation a few years back, I found a visit to a podiatrist to be money well spent. It took a few months and a few rolls of tape, but I can wear anything I want now.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

phxjcc wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:21 pm Likely to get me banned for life :oops: ....but if it is PF: try Orthofeet.
Well, I hope not for something you can buy on Amazon. But, thank you for the tip. I have not tried them but will check em out.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Consider transitioning slowly, eg start with the new product just a few hours a day and build up, or you may find that your solution to one problem creates a new one.
Joey Jo Jo Jr

Post by Joey Jo Jo Jr »

Depending on your underlying issue, you might actually benefit from some firm pressure applied to the sore spot to promote loosening and healing of the damaged tissue. These inexpensive inserts have a little ridge that does just that and fit in any shoe I own: https://heelthatpain.com/

Knocked my pain down from 8 to 4 within first week, and gradually to a 0 several months after that.
windaar

Post by windaar »

Without any question, the softest are Crocs. Surgeons wear them. Not all of the models look goofy.
Nobody knows nothing.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Adidas Boost
ram

Post by ram »

I would go to a place that makes "diabetic shoes" and have them make shoes the way you want them. Expect to pay $300+. ( And even at that price all you will get is soft "soles" :happy )
Your doctor may be able to direct you to such a place (cobbler) in your area.
Ram
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

If you have already visited a podiatrist then never mind.

Otherwise, I agree with those above who recommend you visit one. (I've seen cases where primary care doctors misdiagnose serious foot conditions.)

There are certain heel issues where soft soles are the opposite of what you think you may need.

And custom orthotics are often much better than the stuff available OTC.
Trade the news and you will lose.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

bogledogle wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:57 pm I have heel pain that closely resembles pain "in the heel area" (or I think it does). I can't walk or stand too long and tried several insoles. One of my friends turned me on to these flip flops have been life changing and now I do not want to wear anything else.

https://www.amazon.com/OOFOS-Unisex-Ori ... B00JWYCCEC

They have shoes too but I have not tried them yet. Also, you want the thong style flip flops because the other "slide style" let your foot slip forward. The only caveat is that they soft foam material holds on to dust and dirt, but these are machine washable - I just hose them down and they are good to go. I highly recommend these if you have heel pain or need arch support.
Great!
Ordered them to try out.

Have you tried the Crocs Classics??

Thanks!!!
J🌺
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

windaar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:38 pm Without any question, the softest are Crocs. Surgeons wear them. Not all of the models look goofy.
I thought so.
Have ordered a pair to try.
Fashion is secondary.
Thanks 🌺
J🌺
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Joey Jo Jo Jr wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:42 pm Depending on your underlying issue, you might actually benefit from some firm pressure applied to the sore spot to promote loosening and healing of the damaged tissue. These inexpensive inserts have a little ridge that does just that and fit in any shoe I own: https://heelthatpain.com/

Knocked my pain down from 8 to 4 within first week, and gradually to a 0 several months after that.
Neuropathy
So at this point just seeking comfortable footwear.

Consumer product comment per forum and moderation rules.

J🌺
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:01 pm If you have already visited a podiatrist then never mind.

Otherwise, I agree with those above who recommend you visit one. (I've seen cases where primary care doctors misdiagnose serious foot conditions.)

There are certain heel issues where soft soles are the opposite of what you think you may need.

This one’s been progressive for 20 years with tons of docs so the next path is finding squishy non fashionable shoes.

Aloha
J🌺
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:05 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:01 pm If you have already visited a podiatrist then never mind.

This one’s been progressive for 20 years with tons of docs so the next path is finding squishy non fashionable shoes.

Aloha
J🌺
Thx for letting us know. Sorry, I can't help, and best of luck in your quest for the right foot wear!
Trade the news and you will lose.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:31 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:05 pm

Aloha
J🌺
Thx for letting us know. Sorry, I can't help, and best of luck in your quest for the right foot wear!
Per neurologists, unfortunately, the source is farther upstream so at this stage consumer products like squishy footwear helps. Also compression socks and leggings
Which are found on Amazon and also great for fitness and sports activities.

Thanks for your help on this consumer product search.
Aloha
J🌺
Dick D

Post by Dick D »

Try Kuru. I buy them on line. They took care of my heel problems.
mrjohnanderson007

Post by mrjohnanderson007 »

Altras. One of their high cushion version shoes. With altra you get zero toe to heel drop. And a wider natural toe box. Check em out let me know what you think
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

mrjohnanderson007 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 am Altras. One of their high cushion version shoes. With altra you get zero toe to heel drop. And a wider natural toe box. Check em out let me know what you think
I visited the home page site for "Altra" and they do not have extra wide sizes.
My "Hawaiian Style" feet are 4E to 4EEE wide depending on the shoe so footwear can be difficult to fit.

Thanks for the help.
Aloha
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

One option is adding moleskin. Note that additions may affect gait and pronation.

https://www.dancetampaonline.com/pillow ... dding.html
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Something that did wonders for me was to buy high-quality shoes (I personally like Danner), with enough room to add an aftermarket insole, and then look at a company called "Sole" (they sell on Amazon) and get some of their heat-moldable footbeds. A footbed is just a high end insole.

The heal moldable ones are intended to be baked in your oven (low temp) for a few minutes and you then put them in your shoes and stand on them.They mold to your feet.

Best custom fit I have ever had.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Has anyone tried or use "Orthofeet" found on Amazon? :?:

(Orthofeet Proven Heel and Foot Pain Relief. Extended Widths. Best Orthopedic Walking Shoes Plantar Fasciitis Diabetic Men’s Sneakers Lava)
Link to Amazon.com
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JWJRYMB/ ... ljaz10cnVl

Aloha
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

pahkcah wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:46 am Check out the Hoka Bondi. Softest shoe I have ever worn.
+1
David S

Post by David S »

If you have any foot issues and you’re walking, rather than running, then you should probably stay away from any high-end “running” shoes. As most of their ads proclaim, they are “scientifically designed” for running.
Your gait when running is totally different from your gait when walking, as is your weight distribution and the support your feet require.
Running feet hit the ground in a different area of the foot and with a different amount of force. When walking, you always have one foot, and sometimes both feet, on the ground. When running, you always have one foot, and sometimes both feet, in the air.
I’m 72, walk six miles every morning and, with no foot issues, I generally ignore my own advice above. But then, I usually throw in a couple of short sprints along the way, crossing streets or passing couples with kids/strollers on the sidewalk. I’ve been happy with a New Balance Trail shoe.
Sandtrap, from what I’ve seen on this thread, I think the Orthofeet shoe you referenced deserves a good hard look.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

David S wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:57 pm If you have any foot issues and you’re walking, rather than running, then you should probably stay away from any high-end “running” shoes. As most of their ads proclaim, they are “scientifically designed” for running.
Your gait when running is totally different from your gait when walking, as is your weight distribution and the support your feet require.
Running feet hit the ground in a different area of the foot and with a different amount of force. When walking, you always have one foot, and sometimes both feet, on the ground. When running, you always have one foot, and sometimes both feet, in the air.
I’m 72, walk six miles every morning and, with no foot issues, I generally ignore my own advice above. But then, I usually throw in a couple of short sprints along the way, crossing streets or passing couples with kids/strollers on the sidewalk. I’ve been happy with a New Balance Trail shoe.
Sandtrap, from what I’ve seen on this thread, I think the Orthofeet shoe you referenced deserves a good hard look.
Great input.
I've been using New Balance for running and jogging for decades.
But. . . . with age. . . that has fallen away to other feet needs.

Walking 6 miles and running at age 72 is awesome. Made to last and endure like a Toyota Camry!

Will check out the "orthofeet" models as you suggest.
mahalo
itaos

Post by itaos »

As someone that wears size 14 4E neutral shoes with orthotics and needs a soft heel, I generally try out a few new sneakers every year given there aren't many choices.

Altra, Hoka and Adidas Ultraboost have not been wide enough in any model. NB 1080 too shallow. There are multiple Sketchers extra wide cushioned shoes but personally have caused problems. Crocs are certainly worth a shot. I've settled on the ASICS Nimbus 23 for this year, they're not perfect but quite squishy.

Best of luck and take care.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Don't know what inserts you've tried, but Protalus has worked for me. M-100 model. Good luck!
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

itaos wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:13 pm As someone that wears size 14 4E neutral shoes with orthotics and needs a soft heel, I generally try out a few new sneakers every year given there aren't many choices.

Altra, Hoka and Adidas Ultraboost have not been wide enough in any model. NB 1080 too shallow. There are multiple Sketchers extra wide cushioned shoes but personally have caused problems. Crocs are certainly worth a shot. I've settled on the ASICS Nimbus 23 for this year, they're not perfect but quite squishy.

Best of luck and take care.
Great info
Will check it out
Sounds like Hawaiian feet too!

Also a 4E wide shoe🙀
Mahalo
J🌺
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

mrjohnanderson007 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 am Altras. One of their high cushion version shoes. With altra you get zero toe to heel drop. And a wider natural toe box. Check em out let me know what you think
My podiatrist mentioned Altras, Klogs (both insert and shoe) and seemed approving of my Hokas.

From what I can tell, Altras cushioned does not come in a wide :( And the regular sole/wide shoe sets off my sore feet.

She recommended Hoka recovery sandals - OK for my left, doesn't fit my right.

As mentioned elsewhere, working your way into a new shoe can make a difference. I again worked my way into new pairs of Hoka Bondi and Hoka Gaviota, but I put a pair of Superfeet Berry in one, and Oboz in the other (previously I had only used Green Superfeet). My feet are letting me walk again :) IMO, adequate arch support provides a lot of heel pain control.

Haven't found the Klogs insoles any better, maybe not as good as.

Has anyone tried Drew shoes?
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Also, try socks with padded heels, like SmartWool hiking socks or Thorlos with padded heels.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
bhough

Post by bhough »

San Antonio Shoes (SAS). It’s like walking on kittens.
B
BowserRox

Post by BowserRox »

This is going to be long-winded, but is an example of trial and error in finding some solutions.

I have arthritis on top of feet, osteopenia and fat pad atrophy going on with my feet.

Have been working with Brooks Ghosts, Brooks Glycerin as physical therapists recommended for a few years. Then I went to a podiatrist and I ended up paying $485 for custom made orthotics. They were hard as could be and I wore them in the Brooks shoes, which the podiatrist approved of. I could not get used to them.

I got worse problems, like right knee osteoarthritis.

I had bought the Oofos slides and loved them, but at some point, they seemed to make my walking unsteady, so I stopped wearing them.

I had also bought a pair of the Oofos shoes, wide toe box and closed off heel. One day, I decided to hell with what the podiatrist told me..."To always remove a shoe's insole before you put in another insole". The Oofos shoe has the insole in where you can't remove it. I thought, maybe the cushioning of the Oofos combined with the support of the expensive custom-made orthotic would work.

I was pleasantly surprised...those hard as hell orthotics felt comfortable in the Oofos shoes. Foot cramping that I was getting at night seems to have improved also.

So, I think the expensive orthotics are crucial, but it was a matter of finding the right shoes for them, which are the Oofos.