Best office chair less than $750

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MattB

Best office chair less than $750

Post by MattB »

Hi, all:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good office chairs that costs less than $750?

I'm trying to set up my DW who will be working from home for the intermediate term, at least. And online reviews are less than reliable.

I'm also looking at standing desks if anyone wants to volunteer thoughts there, as well.

Thank you.
jebmke

Re: Best office chair less than $750

Post by jebmke »

Have you checked wire cutter?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

deleted
Last edited by Carousel on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

If you are open to pre-owned, I got a used Herman Miller Aeron for $400 at the beginning of the pandemic. Quintessential office chair, it'll beat anything "new" in the price range.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

MattB wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:37 pm Hi, all:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good office chairs that costs less than $750?

I'm trying to set up my DW who will be working from home for the intermediate term, at least. And online reviews are less than reliable.

I'm also looking at standing desks if anyone wants to volunteer thoughts there, as well.

Thank you.

I bought:

https://www.crandalloffice.com/shop/cha ... ice-chair/

https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-v2-24 ... ding-desk/
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Part of the reason online chair reviews are unreliable is that office chairs are like shoes. What fits one person won’t fit someone else. My suggestion would be to go to a place that sells office furniture and try them out.
afan

Post by afan »

For that price you can get an Aeron in good condition. They last a very long time.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Callisto wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:41 pm If you are open to pre-owned, I got a used Herman Miller Aeron for $400 at the beginning of the pandemic. Quintessential office chair, it'll beat anything "new" in the price range.
Agree with used options. I bought a used Steelcase Think chair last year for less than $150 at an office furniture store. Great back support. :beer
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

I ❤️ my Aeron.

They have a pretty substantial sale twice a year, in summer and Christmas.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Aeron's are great.
That said I've been using the Costco knockoff of the Aeron for 5 days a week for over 6 years now and have no complaints.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

Herman Miller Mirra - probably 10 years old and still love it. Looks like the price has gone up since then as I think I paid 700. In-laws found a pair used for a steal.
My other vehicle is an index fund.
jatwell

Post by jatwell »

https://secretlab.co/collections/titan- ... ave-black3

Seems a little weird, but these gaming chairs are purpose built to be comfortable long term. This is one of the better brands, but there are others out there.

Much better than what you'd find at local office store, 5 year warranty.

Best pandemic purchase for me by far.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Carousel wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:57 pm Definitely check used office furniture stores. Call around for what you want. We got used Steelcase Leaps for $125 from a local place. When the cylinder went out on my housemate's, she felt comfortable in investing $850 in a new one (some kind of seasonal sale cut a bit off the full price of $1000). She is very happy with it but would not have taken the plunge without having tested out a used one.

I did a lot of chair shopping at places like OfficeDepot, etc. A LOT. I really had no luck--had to return two chairs I bought. One arrived smelling like a toxic waste site and the other just wasn't comfortable--kind of rickety despite the $400 price tag.

It's a mystery to me why it is so difficult to find a great chair.

If she finds something great, come back and post the info!
+1. When I retired, I found a slight used Herman Miller Aeron chair for half retail price. 10 years later and it is still great. The guy I bought from buys used office furniture from companies when they move or relocate. He advertised on Craigslist.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

jatwell wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:32 pm https://secretlab.co/collections/titan- ... ave-black3

Seems a little weird, but these gaming chairs are purpose built to be comfortable long term. This is one of the better brands, but there are others out there.

Much better than what you'd find at local office store, 5 year warranty.

Best pandemic purchase for me by far.
+1 it has been a lifesaver for my back with 100% remote work.