2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
manuvns

2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars

Post by manuvns »

Is it worth byying the 2021 morgan and peace dollar tommorow , i am especially interested in peace dollar .

On Tuesday, August 3rd, at 12:00PM ET the US Mint will be releasing two limited edition Morgan Silver Dollars. Each has a purchase limit of three per household , The Mint only intends on shipping these “beginning in October”. They will not charge your credit card until they ship.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/coin-p ... lar-coins/
Thanks!
Nowizard

Re: 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars

Post by Nowizard »

Depends on your reasoning. If you want them because they are beautiful, sure. If thinking of them as an investment, no.

Tim
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

There is a good chance you won’t be able to actually buy them even if you want to. The mint’s first release of these coins online was a complete disaster, with their web site repeatedly crashing at all points in the process due to a large volume of bots and proxy users flooding the site to obtain coins for resale at higher price points.

https://www.greysheet.com/news/story/he ... er-dollars

I had one of each in my cart after repeated attempts and even submitted payment (again after multiple tries) but my payment never completed and I never got any coins. This was the experience for A LOT of regular collectors.

The mint claims to have addressed the issue but my guess is that there will be problems again.

This experience sort of soured me on the mint in general (I’ve been buying things for many years) so I’m done with this series personally. I’ll just be happy with the originals (1878-1921 and 1921-1935) instead, which can be obtained at reasonable prices still.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Kenkat wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:35 pm There is a good chance you won’t be able to actually buy them even if you want to. The mint’s first release of these coins online was a complete disaster, with their web site repeatedly crashing at all points in the process due to a large volume of bots and proxy users flooding the site to obtain coins for resale at higher price points.

I had one of each in my cart after repeated attempts and even submitted payment (again after multiple tries) but my payment never completed and I never got any coins. This was the experience for A LOT of regular collectors.

The mint claims to have addressed the issue but my guess is that there will be problems again.

This experience sort of soured me on the mint in general (I’ve been buying things for many years) so I’m done with this series personally. I’ll just be happy with the originals (1878-1921 and 1921-1935) instead, which can be obtained at reasonable prices still.
Yes, quite a mess. I have pretty much given up on acquiring these through the online process. Agree with you on going with the originals at reasonable prices, although the originals have been increasing in price due, at least in part, to the release announcement for the 2021 coins.

For OP, based on limited availability these may increase in value somewhat after release. I would like one of each for their aesthetic value, not as an investment.
gobel

Post by gobel »

manuvns wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:11 pm Is it worth byying the 2021 morgan and peace dollar tommorow , i am especially interested in peace dollar .
Peace dollar is next week.

Seems like ordering now and waiting several months is not ideal. I've picked up stuff on ebay many years later for below list, so I might wait and see what a real coin looks like first (currently only artist renderings).
Topic Author
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

Kenkat wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:35 pm There is a good chance you won’t be able to actually buy them even if you want to. The mint’s first release of these coins online was a complete disaster, with their web site repeatedly crashing at all points in the process due to a large volume of bots and proxy users flooding the site to obtain coins for resale at higher price points.

i will try to place the order next week when the peace dollar comes out .
Thanks!
pepys

Post by pepys »

Doing these with a buyer set up beforehand seems pretty much like free money. I successfully ordered both on this one. I would not buy without such an agreement though.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I changed my mind and decided to try to buy one example of the Morgan and was able to successfully order one today. I got an ‘S’ mint. I was originally going to go for a full set of each mintmark but have given up on that.

The website still crashed multiple times but it was much better overall than the May release. I will probably try to grab a Peace dollar next week as well so I will have one example of each issue.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Everything that's limited in supply is like that these days. Tickets, electronics, the hottest new toy, etc.
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:50 pm I will probably try to grab a Peace dollar next week as well so I will have one example of each issue.
Too bad the mint/treasury didn't hold on to some of the 1964-D Peace dollars when they were made and release them later like the GSA cc dollars. Oh well, I'm not planning to buy a 2021 so my collection will remain stopped at 1935.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

I'm pretty unknowledgeable about this stuff.

The prices on that page are ~2.5x the apparent going rate for a "standard" silver 1 oz. coin. Is that because they're mint/extra shiney/"collectable"?

Is it possible to buy new, one ounce (or less), silver or gold "standard" coins directly from the mint, or do you have to go through a dealer/authorized retailer?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

psteinx wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:13 pm I'm pretty unknowledgeable about this stuff.

The prices on that page are ~2.5x the apparent going rate for a "standard" silver 1 oz. coin. Is that because they're mint/extra shiney/"collectable"?

Is it possible to buy new, one ounce (or less), silver or gold "standard" coins directly from the mint, or do you have to go through a dealer/authorized retailer?
There are collectible coins and bullion coins produced by the mint (in addition to circulation issues). Sometimes a coin can be both - for example, there are collector editions of the American Eagle silver dollar coins available from the US Mint and you can buy the same coin from a dealer. Then there are other issues that are offered only direct from the mint. For example, the commemorative Morgan and Peace dollars mentioned here, or commemorative coins like the Apollo 11 or Baseball issues (which featured a unique curved design).

Some dealers will buy the collectible coins from the mint and resell them, sometimes at a profit for limited edition issues such as the Morgan and Peace dollars, which were limited to a total of 175,000 for each type and mint mark. The profit incentive can be high enough that dealers will go to great length, employing bots and other people (such as employees) to order as many as possible so they can later resell them. For example, the CC and O Morgan commemorative dollars that sold for $85 dollars on the mint website in May (if you could get them) are going for $350-400 each on eBay. Other collectible coins with higher mintages and/or less interest may resell on the open market for their mint price; some even resell for less after a number of years. For example, proof sets from the 70s often will sell for less than the original issue price. People bought them, lost interest and dumped them en masse on dealers and eBay with supply outpacing demand.

The bullion style coins are typically purchased in bulk by dealers direct from the mint and then resold. The mint has sold some bullion coins direct to the public as well but it seems they are doing this less and less. These are really meant to track pretty closely to the value of the metal they contain so they are typically less expensive than the commemorative coins of the same type. Interestingly enough, you can purchase an original say 1878 Morgan Dollar or early 1920s Peace Dollar for less than the 2021 commemorative ones being discussed here.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:09 pm Interestingly enough, you can purchase an original say 1878 Morgan Dollar or early 1920s Peace Dollar for less than the 2021 commemorative ones being discussed here.
These will be kind of strange morgan/peace dollars. The classics contain a bit over 3/4oz of silver and are a 90/10 silver copper alloy. These have around .85oz of silver and are 100% silver. The American Silver Eagle (ASE) is a full 1oz coin of pure silver.

You can buy the ASE, which has the most silver, for around $35. The proof version (which is what you and I can buy direct from the US mint) is about $75 on the open market. It doesn't have more silver, it is just shinier and comes in a fancy box.

A classic common date morgan/peace dollar is around $30 to $40 based on condition (Morgans go for a bit more than peace). Less silver for more money.

The new Morgan and Peace dollars are the most expensive of all and are also proof coins.

Proof coins and the higher grades of common bullion or circulating coins is a speculative market. Things go hot and cold. Some things are probably safe bets, but the range of buyers willing to pay what you want is much less than when selling common bullion.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
gobel

Post by gobel »

suemarkp wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:39 pm The new Morgan and Peace dollars are the most expensive of all and are also proof coins.
These coins have the regular "uncirculated" finish, not the proof finish. (You can compare the descriptions of proof silver dollars with the morgans here https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/silver ... r-dollars/)
gobel

Post by gobel »

manuvns wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:19 am i will try to place the order next week when the peace dollar comes out .
No difficulty in ordering at all this morning. Both even still show available now, at T+23min. Maybe not that hot of an item?

Update: gone
Topic Author
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

gobel wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 am
manuvns wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:19 am i will try to place the order next week when the peace dollar comes out .
No difficulty in ordering at all this morning. Both even still show available now, at T+23min. Maybe not that hot of an item?

i tried multiple times but cound not finish the payment page , not a good day so far
Thanks!
gobel

Post by gobel »

manuvns wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:17 pm
gobel wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 am

i tried multiple times but cound not finish the payment page , not a good day so far
whoops, sorry to hear that! I refreshed the Peace page and clicked add at 12:00 +15secs, with all my payment info preloaded, and it went thru on the first try. I went back and added a Morgan, but did not buy. Maybe the payment page by then would have bombed out on me too, even though the catalog page was ok.

Lots of discussion here https://forums.collectors.com/discussio ... elcome/p11
Topic Author
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

thanks i was able to order during the previous days of sales but not the peace dollars
Thanks!
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

In for one of the Morgans—check dad off the Christmas list!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I was able to get a Peace Dollar to go with the Morgan I got last week; took several tries to submit the order but it finally went through around 12:15.
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

With mintages of 175,000 each, I'm betting that prices will eventually drop below issue price as they have for many of the higher mintage commemorative dollars. It might take several years but that's my plan.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Bulk rolls of silver coins (pre1964?) are readily available and can easily be purchased on ebay. They sometimes sell at a small discount to actual bullion metal rate.

Collectors or limited edition sets of bullion metal coins are generally a poor investment.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

manuvns wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:11 pm Is it worth byying the 2021 morgan and peace dollar tommorow , i am especially interested in peace dollar .

On Tuesday, August 3rd, at 12:00PM ET the US Mint will be releasing two limited edition Morgan Silver Dollars. Each has a purchase limit of three per household , The Mint only intends on shipping these “beginning in October”. They will not charge your credit card until they ship.

If the price for these coins is more than their actual, printed face value (one U.S. Dollar), then the answer is a big NO.

Best of luck.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Too much of a premium for what are uncirculated bullion coins...I'd buy American Silver Eagles instead.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

The Peace and Morgan 2021 issues are limited edition collector coins; there are no versions being issued as bullion (unlike the American Silver Eagles, which are issued as both).
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

The circulating peace dollar had a rather low strike. Judging from the pictures, this commemorative issue looks almost fake...
gobel

Post by gobel »

Trader Joe wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:31 pm

If the price for these coins is more than their actual, printed face value (one U.S. Dollar), then the answer is a big NO.

Best of luck.
yikes! most of my stocks have a "par value" of $0.01 or less!
gougou

Post by gougou »

Most likely not worth it for resale. Mintage is too high. You're probably better off buying the Proof American Silver Eagle.
The sillier the market’s behavior, the greater the opportunity for the business like investor.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

There was a high relief Peace Dollar issued in 2021 but the mint had so many problems striking the coins that the strike and relief was lowered in 2022 and so most Peace Dollars look kind of flat and ugly to me. Some people love them though.

Here’s a nice toned, circulated one I got from my father in law that I think is quite attractive:

gobel

Post by gobel »

^ typo in the years. but I did read that the 2021 Peace is high relief (main reason I gave in and ordered one). I guess it'll be fun to watch the price over the next couple of months/years, but ~$60 would have been a more palatable price imo.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

KenKat

I was expecting a higher grade coin, like this:

(note the complete feathers on the eagle...at least a VF+)
although it's hard to find good ones for certain years, as some were used a lot... sort of like trying to find good 2¢ pieces in any year.. this 1865 is about as good as I've found:
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have a few different Peace Dollars, I just like the look of that 1934 - an honest coin that has worked for a living!

Here’s an uncirculated one I have in my Type album - lots of bag marks, etc. which is pretty typical (I got this one cheap at least):

Not a great photo of the reverse.

It’s just not one of my favorite coin designs but I have heard that the high relief ones are much more attractive but have not seen one in person.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:47 pm I have a few different Peace Dollars, I just like the look of that 1934 - an honest coin that has worked for a living!

Here’s an uncirculated one I have in my Type album - lots of bag marks, etc. which is pretty typical (I got this one cheap at least):

Not a great photo of the reverse.

It’s just not one of my favorite coin designs but I have heard that the high relief ones are much more attractive but have not seen one in person.

Well, mine were all from circulation!!
GM on the one side was in "company town" (remember most of those paid in script), so when they got ahold of "hard money" that was saved ! So whatever condition that they got them in, that's what it is... and some were fairly good.

(the two cent I did buy... like my other "type coins" (3¢...both the silver and regular, the half dimes, 20¢, etc... but I've also got the US Phillipine centavo (from someone that got them in circulation))

{I view that as a type coin in that it was produced by US for a US possession...and I'm not aware of any other coins produced for a US possession other than those}

BTW: have you actually seen any of the W mint mark coins in circulation?? (I haven't yet)
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Nestegg_User wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:20 pm Well, mine were all from circulation!!
GM on the one side was in "company town" (remember most of those paid in script), so when they got ahold of "hard money" that was saved ! So whatever condition that they got them in, that's what it is... and some were fairly good.
Always love hear of coins that people got from circulation and passed down. Few and far between anymore.

I had a set of those 1944 Philippine Centavos from when I was a kid; I still have a couple of them but some have gone missing, I haven’t been watching for the W coins to be honest. I know, my collector card is suspended until further notice :wink:
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:15 pm
Nestegg_User wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:20 pm Well, mine were all from circulation!!
Always love hear of coins that people got from circulation and passed down. Few and far between anymore.

I had a set of those 1944 Philippine Centavos from when I was a kid; I still have a couple of them but some have gone missing, I haven’t been watching for the W coins to be honest. I know, my collector card is suspended until further notice :wink:
actually, if you look at it, it's a 1941... so minted in Manila (the 1944 and 1945 were Philly made)

Yeah, as I said, I haven't seen any "W"'s yet; I think it was supposed to be about 10 million made but don't know how many were released "for circulation" versus only for collectors

[I haven't tried to see if any authentic "D"'s from Georgia mint were actually available (too many counterfeits)... same for Charlotte coins, although either are expensive. Perhaps you have some...only saw specimens at Smithsonian]