Yahoo email "app password" issue (Android)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
F150HD

Yahoo email "app password" issue (Android)

Post by F150HD »

Anytime I generate an 'app password' in my Yahoo email account (on my laptop) and put it into the email app in the phone it is not recognized and does not work. (Android; device is updated completely)

(An app password is a password generated specifically for that app, its not the normal password you use to login to your Yahoo email account on your laptop, the app password allows the phone 'app' to access the email)

I then have to put in the actual Yahoo password to continue. Anyone know how to fix this? or what the issue is?

Decided to use the GMail app for this but it doesn't matter, this issue is w/ any email app I've tried on my phone.

Have had this issue on multiple phones over the years and Google articles are not helpful (I have looked multiple times).

Image below is how to generate an app password using ones laptop, that is not an image of the phone.

Note: Not looking to change to different email providers. Thanks.

Last edited by F150HD on Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloom2708

Re: Yahoo email "app password" issue (Android)

Post by bloom2708 »

Trying to follow your scenario.

You are using the Yahoo Mail app/website but linking in your re-authenticating your Gmail account?

Is that the scenario?

Yahoo doesn't use the password for much of anything anymore.

Are you sure that Google isn't trying to 2 factor your account? Usually I open the Google app on my phone and then I get a 2 factor request to approve.

Not sure why your Yahoo password is being used to authenticate Gmail.

Yahoo uses and Account Key now. In the app on my phone I have a Key next to the Yahoo account and when I log in on a different device, I hit that key and then approve the request.

Maybe you can clarify. I had trouble with Gmail in Yahoo a few months back. There must have been an update between the 2. I ended up removing both Gmail accounts and adding them back. Re-authenticating both.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:26 am Trying to follow your scenario.

You are using the Yahoo Mail app/website but linking in your re-authenticating your Gmail account?

Is that the scenario?

Yahoo doesn't use the password for much of anything anymore.

Are you sure that Google isn't trying to 2 factor your account? Usually I open the Google app on my phone and then I get a 2 factor request to approve.

Not sure why your Yahoo password is being used to authenticate Gmail.

Yahoo uses and Account Key now. In the app on my phone I have a Key next to the Yahoo account and when I log in on a different device, I hit that key and then approve the request.

Maybe you can clarify. I had trouble with Gmail in Yahoo a few months back. There must have been an update between the 2. I ended up removing both Gmail accounts and adding them back. Re-authenticating both.
Thanks for the reply.

No, Yahoo email not 'Gmail' (I don't use Gmail). You can use Gmail app to connect any email account. You can use any 'email app' for this, I am just trying the Gmail app this time as its native to the Android device.

Its not a 2 factor issue, nothing of the kind.

Have had this same issue w/ other email apps like Bluemail and the like. Had to put in the actual Yahoo password for it to work, the 'app password' one can generate did not work.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

F150HD wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:39 am
No, Yahoo email not 'Gmail' (I don't use Gmail). You can use Gmail app to connect any email account. You can use any 'email app' for this, I am just trying the Gmail app this time as its native to the Android device.
Your screenshot is interesting. It shows Yahoo, but the password is asking for Gmail.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:57 pm
F150HD wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:39 am
Your screenshot is interesting. It shows Yahoo, but the password is asking for Gmail.
Google Play has 1000s of email apps, pic one, any one. It doesn't matter.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-a ... ps-579368/

Gmail
Price: Free

Gmail is a bit of a cheap pick for email apps. It comes pre-installed on most Android devices. Thus, you probably already have it. The app supports multiple inbox settings, multiple accounts, and more. It supports most email services as well, including Yahoo, Microsoft Outlook, and others....

That isn't the point of my question though. Thanks.
gobel

Post by gobel »

After several warnings last year, I did finally have to generate an app p/w for my yahoo email account a few months ago. But if your regular p/w works, why do you care? I left it for as long as I could till they forced me to enter the one-time p/w (and it's worked fine ever since).
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

gobel wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:22 pm After several warnings last year, I did finally have to generate an app p/w for my yahoo email account a few months ago. But if your regular p/w works, why do you care? I left it for as long as I could till they forced me to enter the one-time p/w (and it's worked fine ever since).
The idea is....if the app/phone were compromised you could access your email from a laptop and disconnect the app by deleting the app password.

what specific email app are you using that it asked for one?
gobel

Post by gobel »

F150HD wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:03 pm
gobel wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:22 pm After several warnings last year, I did finally have to generate an app p/w for my yahoo email account a few months ago. But if your regular p/w works, why do you care? I left it for as long as I could till they forced me to enter the one-time p/w (and it's worked fine ever since).
The idea is....if the app/phone were compromised you could access your email from a laptop and disconnect the app by deleting the app password.

what specific email app are you using that it asked for one?
Hmm, I generated another p/w just now to remind me how it worked. The p/w is 4 groups of 4 letters, but when I cut and paste it, it's just 16 letters. When you enter it on your phone, are you leaving the spaces out?

I dug up the old email and here's the help page from it. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for- ... 27791.html
It seemed to imply that the app p/w was the less desirable method, but it's the only way available for my particular app.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

gobel wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:40 pm I have a Windows phone. I put it off as long as possible assuming it would be difficult to figure out, but using that page you posted is all it took. What I found strange was that it didn't ask for any app id that would tie the p/w to that app. I guess it was one-time use so it didn't matter?

Anyway, I generated another one just now to remind me. The p/w is 4 groups of 4 letters, but when I cut and paste it, it's just 16 letters. When you enter it on your phone, are you leaving the spaces out?

I dug up the old email and here's the help page from it. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for- ... 27791.html
It seemed to imply that the app p/w was the less desirable method, but it's the only way available for my particular app.
a windows phone? So you're using some native app on there I'd guess. I didn't think they made Windows phones anymore.

Yahoo - they sure don't make it easy to locate where/how to generate the app password (my experience).

And yes, generated pword doesn't tie to any specific app which is interesting.

Same confusion that the generator puts in spaces but copy/paste removes them so I had the same question. I tried entering the pw with them and without them - neither worked.

I can put in my normal Yahoo password and it works using the GMail app, but confused as to why the app password does not work. I like the idea of a separate app password, it makes sense.
gobel

Post by gobel »

Oh, I thought for sure it was going to be the extra spaces. :(

If you are really willing to spend the time, you could try the following:

- generate the p/w on your phone browser and use copy and paste - totally removes the chance of a typo
- try deleting the account from the app and re-add it fresh
- create a brand new throwaway yahoo account and see if it can be added with the app p/w (would mean that somehow your old account is just different, or maybe some setting within it is)
- or just try changing your p/w and see if your app disconnects - seems that would give just as much protection as an app p/w then

It is kind of strange that your regular p/w works since for a whole year yahoo was warning me that this would be disabled (did you get them? the emails specifically said it detected I was using a 3rd party app with my regular p/w. if you didn't get the warnings, then yahoo must've thought you were ok).

oh, one last thought - do you have 2 factor turned on? The email is not super clear, but seems to imply that modern apps don't require the app p/w, but that older apps or 2FA does. Maybe it is actually saying that w/o 2FA, the app p/w doesn't even work (with new apps).
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

no 2 factor but exceptionally strong passwords.

Maybe the 3rd party app is the issue on your end. I have used Motorola native app and Gmail app each works fine but neither accepted app passwords. Same issue w/ other email apps I tried over the past course.

Unclear what is going on or why they even have app passwords if they do not work. Unclear when I'd have time to continue troubleshooting (making extra accounts, testing etc) - for the hassle and time.....this is why I asked here.