Wrong SSN on a Minor I-bond

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Beachey

Wrong SSN on a Minor I-bond

Post by Beachey »

When I set up my DD1 Treasury Direct Account (Minor Linked Account) I used DD2's Social Security Number. So when I purchased a bond in that account it has DD1 name and DD2 SSN. I realized this when I attempted to transfer a gift bond with the correct name/SSN and it wouldn't let me. When I called Treasury Direct, the rep was able to point this out. Best I can tell you can't see this online. The phone rep said to send another email with the issue and somebody should get back to me to see if we can change the SSN on both the bond and Account. One thing she did point out was you can set up multiple accounts for one minor which I did so the erroneous account is less of an issue than the bond.

Any experience with changing an SSN on an I-bond? I am thinking worst case in three years when I can cash out the bond without penalty I can then rebuy an I-bond with the correct name/SSN. Since they both will still be minors there shouldn't be any tax implications though it would be nice to fix this now.
fabdog

Re: Wrong SSN on a Minor I-bond

Post by fabdog »

Searching on Treasury direct gives a page on correcting errors, for SSN correction it links to this, which then says is for paper bonds only... but follows the advice to contact them. This gives an address to send a letter... but if you can contact TD directly via email with the issue they should be able to help correct

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/re ... ration.htm

Mike