Should I buy a new PC vs upgrade

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
imyeti2

Should I buy a new PC vs upgrade

Post by imyeti2 »

Hello All,

I've an old Lenovo IdeaCentre (https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-id ... 6-gb-1-tb/) with Win 7.

With no more Win 7 support and everything running slow on the desktop, I'd like to upgrade either the existing desktop tower or buy something new.

I use the computer for very basic work - web surfing, photo/data storage etc.

Questions:
(1) Is it worth it to upgrade the existing tower with more memory and a SSD while keeping the old hardware. Would also add a card for WiFi and Bluetooth.
(2) Or buy a new budget desktop (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088X29HF6/re ... UTF8&psc=1)
(3) go for a either iMac or mac mini - new model

We have several personal chromebooks and office Windows laptops.

would like to get thoughts from the experts here.

Thank you.
Yeti.
LiveSimple

Re: Should I buy a new PC vs upgrade

Post by LiveSimple »

Try a Mac or a surface pro ?

https://www.apple.com/mac/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/surfa ... b=overview

With the change in technology, I prefer to buy than upgrade.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

It depends what you do with the machine. I'm somehow surviving on a 1.6Ghz Celeron at 6GB, but at least I'm running Windows 10 so I don't have the upgrade/security concerns. On this machine I just mostly web browse and it is mostly OK.

Your specs are not horrible for web browsing, word processing, etc. I think your biggest pain for being slow is your hard drive. Upgrade to an SSD and you will see a huge difference. Also, a clean install would get rid of any lurking junk on your system that Lenovo snuck on. If you upgrade or buy new, you'll first have to go through the pain of making sure all your data is backed up, and taking inventory of every program/app you use. So, it isn't much difference. You'll have to do that first anyway.

Personally, here's what I would do:
- First check to see if you can still get a free Win10 upgrade. Many report it still works. (https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... 7-is-dead/)
- If you CAN, proceed. If not, starting looking for something new. It probably isn't worth buying a Win10 license for this machine.
- Backup and inventory everything. You'll move your existing disk to be secondary, but you may still accidentally lose it or overwrite it.
- Obtain a 500GB SSD for $100 or less. Make sure it is compatible with the specs of your machine. You very likely have a free 3.5" bay.
- Create a Win10 install media. You'll be doing a clean install. (See link above for instructions.)
- Install new SSD. Go to BIOS and make this primary disk, and make the current HD secondary.
- Install win10 using install media on new primary disk.

It is worth a try for less than $100. You can still use your old HD for large files if necessary. If you screw up and can't recover, you've backed everything up so you'll be ready to buy new. You'll be out $100 or so, but hey, you tried. :)

Messing with adding an SSD and adjusting BIOS can be tricky. If you haven't done it before, it may be foreign. You first must get the correct SSD and assure you have a free bay. And for BIOS changes? Well, it may take a few tries. But if you have time and are willing to spend just a bit, it is worth a shot.

If you can't DYI this or feel you need someone else to do it, forget it. Just buy new.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

If you are satisfied with the Windows environment, I'd stick with it. (The Apple fans will always chime in with "get a Mac/Apple/iPad/iPhone" etc.)

If you had upgraded the Windows 7 to Windows 10 when the opportunity to do so at no cost was available, I'd say stick with what you have and perhaps upgrade the memory and HD to an SSD. But with Windows 7 on it, I'd recommend you purchase a new system.

However, I wouldn't do anything right now. Instead I'd wait until later in the year when Windows 11 is released and then start looking at new systems that are fully Window 11 compatible. I don't see a point in buying a new Windows 10 system only to find out that it may not be well-equipped to run Windows 11.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

imyeti2 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:24 am I use the computer for very basic work - web surfing, photo/data storage etc.

Questions:
(1) Is it worth it to upgrade the existing tower with more memory and a SSD while keeping the old hardware. Would also add a card for WiFi and Bluetooth.
(2) Or buy a new budget desktop (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088X29HF6/re ... UTF8&psc=1)

Upgrades seldom make sense. Usually, there are too many old bottlenecks to overcome.

If you really need to store your photos/data locally, buy a new computer. Otherwise buy a Chromebook.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

In my opinion, computers have become a product that you just buy a new one when you are feeling that the older one no longer meets your expectations or needs. Upgrading is more of a hassle than it is worth. Windows-based computers have become quite inexpensive. Buy a new one every 5 years or so and cast the old one aside. Macs are more expensive, but still just need to be put to rest after several years use.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

It made sense in the 90s to upgrade when you had thousands of dollars invested in a computer, and a little RAM would allow you to run a new program. Nowadays, it's rarely worth it, with the one time exception that going HDD-SSD is probably a good idea. The only issue is that a PC old enough to have only a HDD still is likely on its last legs anyway. There aren't many/any programs pushing against a single system spec that could simply be upgraded like the old days of RAM shortages. Now that everyone has at least 8gb that just isn't an issue and lots of people are running their computer for a decade.

New PCs are small, quiet, and efficient. Get something new and enjoy it.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

galawdawg wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:17 am However, I wouldn't do anything right now. Instead I'd wait until later in the year when Windows 11 is released and then start looking at new systems that are fully Window 11 compatible. I don't see a point in buying a new Windows 10 system only to find out that it may not be well-equipped to run Windows 11.
+1
And when you do, buy with an SSD or plan to install one.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

galawdawg wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:17 am If you are satisfied with the Windows environment, I'd stick with it. (The Apple fans will always chime in with "get a Mac/Apple/iPad/iPhone" etc.)

If you had upgraded the Windows 7 to Windows 10 when the opportunity to do so at no cost was available, I'd say stick with what you have and perhaps upgrade the memory and HD to an SSD.
Windows 10 is still a free upgrade. I have done it about 4 times on the last few months on a variety of computers.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... 7-is-dead/
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:40 am Windows 10 is still a free upgrade. I have done it about 4 times on the last few months on a variety of computers.

I would not update to Win 10 at this point. The OP has a slow machine. Updating to Win 10 isn’t going to help that, and there is the potential that things will break. Assuming money is available, wait for Win 11 machines + SSD.
main_line_scum

Post by main_line_scum »

Considering the way you use your computer, you could switch to a user-friendly Linux distribution like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or openSUSE. Maybe
Puppy Linux if you want to keep things really simple. Linux is quite a lot lighter than Windows, and you should be able to run it until the hardware dies. I'd also copy your documents onto an external drive or upload them to a cloud storage provider, preferably both. Either way it's nice to separate your storage from the operating system itself so that you can upgrade or switch it without any fuss. If you already have an extra storage drive lying around or would prefer just to use cloud storage, all of this is free (excluding your time).

All that said, you've got a pretty old computer, and I wouldn't blame you if you prefer to buy a new one.

edit: To address your questions directly and choose among the options you specified, I would either buy a new budget desktop or switch to a Mac. Upgrading your components would improve your system's speed, but you still won't be getting critical security updates on Windows 7. In my experience having grown up with Windows and working professionally on macOS, there's some learning curve associated with switching ecosystems, but it isn't that steep. I would also prefer a Mac mini over an iMac. That way you can choose your own display, whether that means keeping what you have or purchasing something new. Either way that's money saved for you in the future or for a friend / relative in need of a monitor in the eventuality that you decide to upgrade. The Mac mini and iMac share the same underlying hardware and should perform similarly. Whether you decide to go that route or purchase a cheaper PC depends upon your budget.
Last edited by main_line_scum on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Buy New
If you are considering a desktop you can get a bang for your buck
:happy
I enjoy both
Dell desktop and
Xps 13 laptop
😀
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

main_line_scum wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 am Considering the way you use your computer, you could switch to a user-friendly Linux distribution like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or openSUSE.
+1. If you do decide that you simply don't want to mess with upgrading your existing machine and have written it off, it might make sense to try installing Linux on it before parting with the out-of-pocket cash for a new machine. Then, if you try it and decide it's not for you, you can then proceed with the purchase.

One caveat: if you do decide to go this route, back up your documents on an external drive somewhere before running the installer. I don't know about the others, but the Mint distribution will not go out of its way to find and preserve your documents unless they are on a separate partition, it will blow out everything during the install. Back them up, then copy them back into your home directory after the install.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 am If you really need to store your photos/data locally, buy a new computer. Otherwise buy a Chromebook.
Chromebook can also access a USB drive, correct? Local stuff could be on a remote drive.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

prd1982 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 am
runner3081 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:40 am Windows 10 is still a free upgrade. I have done it about 4 times on the last few months on a variety of computers.

I would not update to Win 10 at this point. The OP has a slow machine. Updating to Win 10 isn’t going to help that, and there is the potential that things will break. Assuming money is available, wait for Win 11 machines + SSD.
Maybe, maybe not. My computer is an 11-year old Dell Laptop with some extra memory and SSD, it runs Win 10 fine and is quick.
Watty

Post by Watty »

imyeti2 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:24 am (1) Is it worth it to upgrade the existing tower with more memory and a SSD while keeping the old hardware. Would also add a card for WiFi and Bluetooth.
Something else to check on is if you have any software, like MS Office, that you will need to buy if you replace the PC.

Some other issues are that your power supply is getting old and might not last a lot longer and you likely have the much slower USB 1 connectors so that things like external drives will work a lot slower.

If you keep your old hard drive in the PC for bulk storage, which makes sense, then you also need to be concerned about how much longer it will last.

With the SSD, memory, and cards I would guess that you would be spending around $200 to upgrade it and even if it goes smoothly it will take a lot of time. The budget PC you mentioned is only $400 so spending the extra money to get that instead would be an easy choice for me if you did not want to switch to a Mac.

If you buy something new then your old PC may still be usable for something else, like for a kid, especially if you upgrade it to Windows 10.

If you are on a tight budget(been there done that!) then the most that I would do is to put a SSD in it and figure out how to do a free upgrade to Windows 10.

As someone else said be sure that you have good backup, which is always a good idea, but especially when you are making major changes.
Watty

Post by Watty »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:22 am
prd1982 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 am

Maybe, maybe not. My computer is an 11-year old Dell Laptop with some extra memory and SSD, it runs Win 10 fine and is quick.
I agree especially since since the Windows 10 built in anti virus seems to have improved to the point where it is good enough you do not need anti virus software like Norton or MacAfee. If the OP win running Win 7 with anti-virus software then going to Win 10 without anti-virus software could actually be an improvement.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Old devices lack firmware security among other things. In todays day and age of identity theft and how many of us here strive to protect ourselves (credit freezes etc) why put yourself at risk by running dated machines.

Pirate made good points:
PaunchyPirate wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:27 am computers have become a product that you just buy a new one when you are feeling that the older one no longer meets your expectations or needs. Upgrading is more of a hassle than it is worth. Windows-based computers have become quite inexpensive. Buy a new one every 5 years or so and cast the old one aside
Do before the old machine fails so its easier to transfer data over.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

A frugal alternative to a brand-new PC would be a refurbished/used desktop from one of the business product lines (Lenovo ThinkCentre, HP ProDesk/EliteDesk, Dell OptiPlex). These are much better built, with better components, and tend to last longer than consumer PCs, although OP's had very good luck with the consumer IdeaCentre.

I'm particular to ThinkCentre Tinys - they truly are tiny and are quiet and as powerful as larger PCs, except for gaming (because of the lack of dedicated graphics). Look for one with 6th- or 7th-gen processors with at least 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. (These go on eBay for about $200-250. The ones with the 7th-gen cost a little more as they are likely to be able to upgrade to Windows 11.) For the uses described by the OP, a brand-new, spec'd-out $1000 PC will not feel dramatically faster than this solution.
Last edited by 02nz on Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
simas

Post by simas »

imyeti2 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:24 am Hello All,

I've an old Lenovo IdeaCentre (https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-id ... 6-gb-1-tb/) with Win 7.

With no more Win 7 support and everything running slow on the desktop, I'd like to upgrade either the existing desktop tower or buy something new.

Questions:

Thank you.
Yeti.
get rid of it and get a new one - this one is not old, it is ancient.
Get a backup , photo/data storage should not be only stored on whatever device you get

depending on what your needs are in photo/data, the recommendations may wary - generally anything would work.
Macs (ARM device running unix OS) are crazy overpriced for what they are but if you dont care -> then you dont care
02nz

Post by 02nz »

simas wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:23 am Macs (ARM device running unix OS) are crazy overpriced for what they are but if you dont care -> then you dont care
I'm a PC enthusiast, but it's hard to argue that the M1 MacBook Air - available for $850, or $750 with Best Buy's student discount - is overpriced when it outperforms PCs twice the price, and with much better battery life. The Mac Mini has the same guts for $700, again, very competitive with PCs, although upgradability is nil.

Now if you're talking about a set of wheels for the Mac Pro or the monitor stand that isn't included with a $6000 monitor, then I'd agree! :happy
simas

Post by simas »

02nz wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:35 am
simas wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:23 am Macs (ARM device running unix OS) are crazy overpriced for what they are but if you dont care -> then you dont care
I'm a PC enthusiast, but it's hard to argue that the M1 MacBook Air - available for $850, or $750 with Best Buy's student discount - is overpriced when it outperforms PCs twice the price, and with much better battery life. The Mac Mini has the same guts for $700, again, very competitive with PCs, although upgradability is nil.
let us skip the fanby stuff here - better battery life? huh? for desktop? how is it relevant?

outperforms? again huh? you are running in emulation and anyone who is looking for professional performance on desktop is going for threadripper or xeons (if you are more conservative or your software use case somehow require Intel) , with their ECC RAM support, high core count, and highly performant cores. mac cpus are not even in the same league compared to these offerings.

you are getting an ARM device with somewhat ok OS (which any free OS could do to). they are ok for what they do and have their market share for a reason (including local support network through apple care).

if you really want an ARM device go get RPI4 , throw it into a case, and get your desktop for <$100. or buy one with case. it would do anything a 'desktop' would do.
candb

Post by candb »

main_line_scum wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 am Considering the way you use your computer, you could switch to a user-friendly Linux distribution like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or openSUSE. Maybe
Puppy Linux if you want to keep things really simple. Linux is quite a lot lighter than Windows, and you should be able to run it until the hardware dies. I'd also copy your documents onto an external drive or upload them to a cloud storage provider, preferably both. Either way it's nice to separate your storage from the operating system itself so that you can upgrade or switch it without any fuss. If you already have an extra storage drive lying around or would prefer just to use cloud storage, all of this is free (excluding your time).

All that said, you've got a pretty old computer, and I wouldn't blame you if you prefer to buy a new one.

edit: To address your questions directly and choose among the options you specified, I would either buy a new budget desktop or switch to a Mac. Upgrading your components would improve your system's speed, but you still won't be getting critical security updates on Windows 7. In my experience having grown up with Windows and working professionally on macOS, there's some learning curve associated with switching ecosystems, but it isn't that steep. I would also prefer a Mac mini over an iMac. That way you can choose your own display, whether that means keeping what you have or purchasing something new. Either way that's money saved for you in the future or for a friend / relative in need of a monitor in the eventuality that you decide to upgrade. The Mac mini and iMac share the same underlying hardware and should perform similarly. Whether you decide to go that route or purchase a cheaper PC depends upon your budget.
I agree on installing a Linux distribution. There's a lot of good choices, but Linux Mint would probably be the best one. It's a lot like Win 7, but will run much faster.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

imyeti2 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:24 am We have several personal chromebooks and office Windows laptops.
What is an "office" laptop? Does that mean a laptop running MS Office, or an employer-owned laptop used for "office" work? If used for work, are you the employer?
main_line_scum

Post by main_line_scum »

simas wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:40 am
02nz wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:35 am
let us skip the fanby stuff here - better battery life? huh? for desktop? how is it relevant?

outperforms? again huh? you are running in emulation and anyone who is looking for professional performance on desktop is going for threadripper or xeons (if you are more conservative or your software use case somehow require Intel) , with their ECC RAM support, high core count, and highly performant cores. mac cpus are not even in the same league compared to these offerings.

you are getting an ARM device with somewhat ok OS (which any free OS could do to). they are ok for what they do and have their market share for a reason (including local support network through apple care).

if you really want an ARM device go get RPI4 , throw it into a case, and get your desktop for <$100. or buy one with case. it would do anything a 'desktop' would do.
I agree with you that battery life is irrelevant, but you're off-base on several points.

macOS doesn't run "in emulation." All of its bundled apps are compiled for the ARM architecture. To be fair there are many third-party apps that haven't been ported yet, but benchmarks have demonstrated that M1s emulate x86 instructions faster than Intel-based Macs run them natively. Of course that's only relevant when comparing to other Macs; all this to say that x86 emulation isn't much of a downside.

Threadrippers seem to benchmark favorably against M1s (especially on multi-threaded tests), even on the low end of the line. Seeing as the 1900x is about ~$180, a full build would be comparable in price to a Mac mini, so it's a matter of preference and application. Maybe you could save a couple hundred dollars by going the Threadripper route if you were thrifty in purchasing your other components.

Xeon processors are generally more expensive and aren't targeted towards consumer applications. ECC RAM is similarly irrelevant. The feature itself doesn't matter beyond some server applications, and it has a multiplicative effect on component pricing. And while I agree that these higher-end processors are in a different league of performance, they're also in a different league of pricing.

An ARM device is not intrinsically non-performant, and M1s demonstrate that well. They're especially good for reducing power consumption and subsequently heat output. If you think that macOS is a "somewhat ok OS," I'd be curious to know what your qualifications are for a good OS. macOS is stable, intuitive, and boasts a pleasant UI. I've had far more issues with memory leaks, system crashes, driver incompatibility, and general navigation on Windows than on macOS. And although I prefer Linux to macOS for development, it's frustrating that I'm often forced to chosen between older UIs and feature sets for stability's sake or combing through forums to find workarounds when an update goes wrong.

RPI4s are great for certain applications, but you can't say in good conscience that they perform as well as a purpose-built desktop. I have one; it's my DNS sink, my DHCP server, and my retro gaming console. I don't think I'd use it as a daily driver for web-browsing or word-processing, although perhaps I could. I would rather spend a few hundred dollars on components and build something a bit quicker. And just to name a couple things it can't do that my PC can: run Dolphin (a GameCube emulator) and act as a Plex server. Heck, the last time I tried I couldn't even convince my RPI4 to serve as a Plex client.

It's disingenuous to criticize someone as an Apple fanboy without considering the legitimate pros and cons of that ecosystem. Is being an Apple hater any more thoughtful than being a fanboy? I've got a 2019 Macbook Pro from work, a $2500 PC that I built around 2016, an RPI4, and plenty of Linux VMs. They all have their pros and cons. Most consumers just want something with a nice UI that doesn't give them headaches. If a Mac would meet those needs for OP and fall within his price point, then it might be a good choice.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

If you're running Windows 7 on a computer and accessing the internet, you're taking some pretty big chances. You should have upgraded years ago. It was free.

In fact, it's still free... Your computer should be compatible.

Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
simas

Post by simas »

main_line_scum wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:54 pm
It's disingenuous to criticize someone as an Apple fanboy without considering the legitimate pros and cons of that ecosystem. Is being an Apple hater any more thoughtful than being a fanboy? I've got a 2019 Macbook Pro from work, a $2500 PC that I built around 2016, an RPI4, and plenty of Linux VMs. They all have their pros and cons. Most consumers just want something with a nice UI that doesn't give them headaches. If a Mac would meet those needs for OP and fall within his price point, then it might be a good choice.
respectfully, after writing a long , long post "defending" Apple eco system, honestly - what is the point of your post? that YMMV? yes, agree and stated as such earlier. different strokes for different folks ? sure, stated earlier as well.

for vast majority , it is way overpriced for what it offers . ARM device sold as solution that has neither performance of something real (like Ryzen/Threadripper), compatibility of true x86, and way overpriced for what it offers (also as evidenced by Apple margins , they are raping you on these prices). Add to it closed garden ecosystem and it is a horrible choice for any "enthusiast" - friends dont let friends get Macs unless they are really sick and tired of such "friends" coming to them for constant tech support.

if you want ARM, get rPi, throw any linux on it and call it a day. Will get you browsing, email ,etc use case.
dont like RPI ? sure, plenty of knockoffs that would work some cheaper some slightly more expensive than RPI

Dont want ARM but want something 'small'? sure, plenty of SFF or industrial case design solutions that are cheap , small, compatible with everything out where. Asrock desk mini, Asus MINI, lenovo SFF business desktops, many choices.

your use case requires performance (time equals money and you use equipment to earn money) ? get something that has such performance, that very clearly isn't a Mac toy.

UI wise, all current OS are equivalent, the "windows is difficult or linux is difficult" are fairly tales from 25+ years ago and other propaganda. I found OSX to be less easy to work in than even modern Linux OS however I understand why those who are entrapped there want to continue to stay there.

I use Apple devices (i.e. IPad) where they offer value . I also use all that you mentioned (desktop PCs, laptops, rack mounted servers I built, virtualization lab + various services I run for my own household, etc). I would not touch Mac as first choice until it get significantly better in terms of value offered.

so if you like pretty toy and want to subsidize Apple out of goodness of your heart in exchange for what they offer -> sure, whatever, it is your money.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

jebmke wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:09 am
JoeRetire wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 am If you really need to store your photos/data locally, buy a new computer. Otherwise buy a Chromebook.
Chromebook can also access a USB drive, correct? Local stuff could be on a remote drive.
Yup.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Minty

Post by Minty »

Speaking as a tinkerer who at one time built machines and still upgrades video cards, drives, RAM, etc., my vote is a new computer to replace one this old, both for security reasons and because the new tech will likely be more user-friendly. (I tend to buy refurbs on Amazon.)
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

OP, there is a Lenovo desktop on sale at Costco for $499 with similar specs.

I will probably buy it next week.

Mine is getting long in the tooth. I'm running Windows 8.1

My current PC is a Lenovo, and I think the video card might be crashing. It is either 8 or 9 years old.

I already bought a larger monitor, so I'll be set for several years.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (PC vs. upgrade).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mancich

Post by mancich »

I'd buy new at this point. Though you could make an argument for upgrading the HD to a SSD and a fresh install of Windows 10 (if you can get it free). I upgraded y Dell XPS from 2013 a few years ago. 8 gig to 16 gig for the RAM, and a Samsung SSD. It is an early generation core i7. I am keeping it as long as possible, it is really fast for what I do.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

If after upgrading to Windows 10 and you're still not satisfied with the speed and responsiveness, then I second the recommendation to install Linux on it as a last resort. I have Zorin OS installed on a 2007 Lenovo Laptop and it runs very well and does all the basics for free. It has the look and feel of Windows so it's an easy transition. You can check it out here https://zorinos.com/

Rather than wiping out the data on the current hard drive, there is a way to leave your current installation of Windows and data on the PC and install Linux alongside of it (Dual Boot), but it is a little techie to setup so it may be a little challenging for the novice.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ If this is your first time with Linux, I recommend sticking with one of the top supported distros.

I'm currently using Ubuntu with the Cinnamon desktop. It's very close to MS Windows.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Questions:

Thank you.
Yeti.
Yeti,
If money is tight...
Keep a Windows 7 Computer? If you can put Windows 10 on it, yes. I would not run Windows 7 another day...too much risk.
Upgrade the computer? Yes, if you do a clean install of Windows 10 after installing a 1 TB SSD drive. But, if it's not broke, don't fix it. :)
If you have the skills, remove all dust from the inside of the case before starting. Make sure the fan or fans are clean. If you don't have the skills, let it ride.

Way off the subject: Windows 7 and Windows 10 will run Microsoft Money. If Money doesn't run on Windows 11, I'll stay with Windows 10 as long as practical.

Otherwise
New machine
Win 11 Pro...because it has Bitlocker (Maybe released in October?)
16 GB ram...8 will work
1 TB SSD drive or 2 TB if needed
Processor....all you can afford

BOTTOM LINE: If money is tight, work on the old PC and make it last.
If not, go new

Mac? I'm always tempted, but Windows works for me.
I may get one someday if they have a 30 day return policy. I'll try it and send it back.

Update: Returns are 14 days. The 24 inch iMac with max processor, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD is $2278 out the door.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have a computer that is not dissimilar to what you currently have that was getting slow. A few years ago, I upgraded to a 500GB SSD and added 8GB of memory I got for free out of the garbage bin where my son works and it runs Windows 10 completely fine for me.

If you decide to go the new PC route, I’d spend a little more to get additional memory and maybe a faster processor and larger SSD if it is something you’d keep for awhile. I’d also be sure that anything you buy will run Windows 11; most older PCs will not run Windows 11 as they lack the TPM chip that Windows 11 requires for security:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/what-is- ... windows-11

If you upgrade your existing PC, be aware that you are probably facing the Windows 10 2025 sunset date in your future.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:10 am I have a computer that is not dissimilar to what you currently have that was getting slow. A few years ago, I upgraded to a 500GB SSD and added 8GB of memory I got for free out of the garbage bin where my son works and it runs Windows 10 completely fine for me.

If you decide to go the new PC route, I’d spend a little more to get additional memory and maybe a faster processor and larger SSD if it is something you’d keep for awhile. I’d also be sure that anything you buy will run Windows 11; most older PCs will not run Windows 11 as they lack the TPM chip that Windows 11 requires for security:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/what-is- ... windows-11

If you upgrade your existing PC, be aware that you are probably facing the Windows 10 2025 sunset date in your future.
This, 1000x this. Upgrading from a HDD to an SSD is the single most effective and cost-efficient performance boost out there. If you're not gaming, rendering video, or compiling code, an SSD should be enough to extend the life of your machine by 5-10 years.
junior

Post by junior »

Your stated PC needs are simple. Upgrading is not practical. All the posts here are overkill. You can just go to Best Buy, get something, and return in 14 days if you don't like it. Or get something at Costco and return it in 30 days if you don't like it. You don't need expert advise. If you are comfortable with windows and want a desktop any windows desktop should do fine for your simple needs. I'd maybe avoid the cheapest devices with the slowest processors, but given your simple needs even the budget Windows desktop would likely be okay.

If you want to try Mac you'll need to learn to use different versions of software but any mac should be fine.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:12 am ^^^ If this is your first time with Linux, I recommend sticking with one of the top supported distros.

I'm currently using Ubuntu with the Cinnamon desktop. It's very close to MS Windows.
And if you're not sure if you want to switch but are curious about Linux, you can rig up a bootable USB drive to try it out.

Or, maybe better yet, pick up a Raspberry Pi 400 for $100. You can't get any more newbie-friendly than that. Everything is set up and ready-to-go out of the box--just hook up an HDMI monitor/TV and you're done.

It runs a somewhat customized version of Debian distribution. Super easy-to-use and a lot of fun for the price. Actually comes with a printed manual! And it's often handy to have a "spare" computer anyway (separate computer for logging into financial sites, something portable to hook up to a TV to stream things, etc.) I've got a Raspberry 3 and 4 myself just for kicks.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave »

Questions:

Thank you.
Yeti.
$20 on a small SSD and upgraded to windows10 for free you would see a huge improvement.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I have to chuckle at some of these responses. The OP is running Windows 7, which became obsolete years ago. Some people are recommending the OP switches to Linux, or even a Raspberry Pi, because the OP has shown a desire, and ability, to be at the forefront of technology and discovery... :oops:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

Linux Mint would allow the OP to do what he needs to do on an aging PC and have a modern secure operating system at the same time. I still have a first or second generation Core I-5 that is probably 8 years old and am perfectly satisfied with Linux Mint to do web browsing, watch or stream video, do office software stuff etc. I prefer Linux over windows no antivirus bogging me down or updates hijacking my computer, it is free, I put my data on a separate hard drive partition so I can upgrade without messing with it etc. It is a very boglehead operating system cheap simple and effective.
SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave »

sschoe2 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:33 pm Linux Mint would allow the OP to do what he needs to do on an aging PC and have a modern secure operating system at the same time. I still have a first or second generation Core I-5 that is probably 8 years old and am perfectly satisfied with Linux Mint to do web browsing, watch or stream video, do office software stuff etc. I prefer Linux over windows no antivirus bogging me down or updates hijacking my computer, it is free, I put my data on a separate hard drive partition so I can upgrade without messing with it etc. It is a very boglehead operating system cheap simple and effective.
Is your pc dual boot or just Linux?
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I have a dual boot with Windows 10 that I use almost exclusively for work from home stuff mostly MS teams meeting.
SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave »

sschoe2 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:36 pm I have a dual boot with Windows 10 that I use almost exclusively for work from home stuff mostly MS teams meeting.
Do you have a good link on how to set that up? I'd like to try that.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Depending on your budget and needs this could change but generally I'd recommend a Mac, especially an iMac since they just work better and more consistently than Windows. I've been using computers since Radio Shack's TRS-80 and most of that time was with DOS/Windows but once I tried an Apple computer about a decade ago, it made life easier. I still use Windows often at work and have a Windows machine I rarely use at home but they are painful to use once you switch. I also use Linux machines at work and at times at home.

Obviously gamers, and certain apps may require Windows. And you can get some cheap Windows computers out there unlike Apple devices.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

SmallCityDave wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:38 pm
sschoe2 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:36 pm I have a dual boot with Windows 10 that I use almost exclusively for work from home stuff mostly MS teams meeting.
https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux ... t-windows/

Pretty much you really need to install Windows first. Then create a bootable USB with Linux on it. From there you install it. Making a separate home partition takes an extra few confusing steps but is worth it. Otherwise the USB install will walk you right through it.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:14 pm I have to chuckle at some of these responses. The OP is running Windows 7, which became obsolete years ago. Some people are recommending the OP switches to Linux, or even a Raspberry Pi, because the OP has shown a desire, and ability, to be at the forefront of technology and discovery... :oops:
There's probably a non-mean way to put that.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Ubuntu is fairly easy to use. If you want a Windows look though, you don't want the default Ubuntu + GNOME3. You need to explore some flavors like MATE, Cinnamon or xfce.
SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave »

sschoe2 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm
SmallCityDave wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:38 pm
https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux ... t-windows/

Pretty much you really need to install Windows first. Then create a bootable USB with Linux on it. From there you install it. Making a separate home partition takes an extra few confusing steps but is worth it. Otherwise the USB install will walk you right through it.
Thanks!