Waikiki hotel recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
turnturnturn

Waikiki hotel recommendation

Post by turnturnturn »

Which of the following Waikiki hotels would you pick for a 5- or 6-night stay?
Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
The Laylow
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort
Sheraton Waikiki
Moana Surfrider

Some background info: This is a last-minute trip starting next week. In normal circumstances, Oahu would be our last choice of island to visit, but have decided to do so due to near non-availability of rental cars, so no island exploring on this trip. We're looking to relax a bit while also keeping our mid-teen daughter somewhat occupied. I.e., beach and beach activities, a little shopping, walking around & noshing.
Ms434343

Re: Waikiki hotel recommendation

Post by Ms434343 »

Funny - have stayed at four of them over the years for both work and vacation. Given your situation, I would lean, in order:
1) Moana Surfrider - very close to beach, right by all the shops/food. Good hotel.
2) Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort - a little more of the edge of Waikiki down by the Zoo. Still busy but away from the thick of it. Close second.
3) The Laylow - bit funky, somewhat of a party scene, but cool property. More geared toward young adults.

None are bad by any means.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

You might consider going a bit down the street to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It's got a great beach and all sorts of amenities on site. Waikiki is a short cab or bus ride or even a walk from the hotel.
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

+1 for Moana Surfrider. Great ambiance, very nice bar scene under the banyan, but too tame for most teenagers. I would avoid street-side rooms: the "charm" of old, loose-fitting windows is swamped by the noise on Kalakaua Avenue.

You might also consider the Hyatt Regency across the street in the next block. Or the Ilikai, which is more dated and may be a bit quieter but requires more walking to get to most of the tourist draws.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I stayed at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani earlier this week. Positives: great value and nice central location. Negatives: not right on the beach, basic room, and could hear a fair amount of street noise. We had breakfast at the Moana Surfrider so can’t comment on the rooms but it is right on the beach and the hotel is nice. Our breakfast there was good but a bit overpriced. We looked out at the ocean as we ate so I guess you pay for the view more than the food.

Edited to add: my wife used to live on Oahu and says the Hilton Hawaiian Village is very family-friendly and worth considering as well.
Last edited by Ron Ronnerson on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanRude

Post by EvanRude »

The Ilikai is featured in the Hawaii Five-O opening credits. Steve McGarrett is standing on a penthouse balcony as the helicopter camera zooms in. It also overlooks the Ala Wai Boat Harbor which was the first season point of departure for the SS Minnow on Gilligan’s Island. But your teenager would probably not be as impressed as I was.

I would stay next door at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which is a large property with multiple buildings and levels of accommodation. Lots to do on property. We enjoyed it.

Have fun!
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Hard to beat Ilikai and HHV, especially with a teen. Easy access to the beach (HHV in particular) shops and activities.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

You can't pay me stay in Waikiki. If I was going back to that island, I'd stay on the north shore.
z91

Post by z91 »

Redacted.
Last edited by z91 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilked

Post by wilked »

rockstar wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:22 pm You can't pay me stay in Waikiki. If I was going back to that island, I'd stay on the north shore.
This

Are you sure there’s no care on Kauai? I looked this morning and there’s some
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Good luck.

Hawaii's last two days have had their most new Covid infections since the start of the pandemic.

Delta!
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

Hilton Hawaiian Village would also be my pick. It's closer to Ala Moana shopping center which has much more and better shopping options than Waikiki.
Topic Author
turnturnturn

Post by turnturnturn »

OP here. Thanks to everyone for the informed advice. In the end, the trip was just too last-minute to pull together before the start of the school year. (Perhaps my trip-planning skills have gone rusty during Covid.) Nonetheless, great suggestions -- the Moana Surfrider looks especially appealing -- and we're filing them for future use.