Xfinity iPhone SE free

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CWRadio

Xfinity iPhone SE free

Post by CWRadio »

Xfinity is currently (until Aug 4) having a promotion on Apple iPhone SE. The iPhone SE is free if you sign up for a 24 month service plan. Simple plan cost $15 for 1GB of data and no max on text or voice. These terms only apply to current Comcast / Xfinity customers and transfer of your current cell number. I am currently a Tracfone customer.
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/shop?category=device
You can even add another iPhone SE for $1.75 a month..
Anyone have experience with Xfinity and have used this promotion? Thanks Paul
David Jay

Re: Xfinity iPhone SE free

Post by David Jay »

Xfinity is not a carrier, they use other people's cell towers.

If you have specific locations (home, cottage, etc.) with "iffy" service, I would ask which carrier they use. For instance, Verizon and T-Mobile have good signal at our home but ATT is really marginal.

The SE is a great phone if you don't want a huge "phablet". I use an iPad for reading around the house so I prefer the smaller form factor of the SE in my pocket.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

David Jay wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:06 pm Xfinity is not a carrier, they use other people's cell towers.

If you have specific locations (home, cottage, etc.) with "iffy" service, I would ask which carrier they use. For instance, Verizon and T-Mobile have good signal at our home but ATT is really marginal.
Xfinity Mobile uses Verizon towers.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

02nz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm
David Jay wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:06 pm Xfinity is not a carrier, they use other people's cell towers.

Xfinity uses Verizon towers.
Verizon towers use Xfinify fiber optic lines to get the calls to where they need to go. Not universally, but there's a lot of optical cell-back-haul going on behind the scenes.
cork

Post by cork »

CWRadio wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 pm Anyone have experience with Xfinity and have used this promotion? Thanks Paul
I haven't used the promotion, but I did purchase the iPhone SE through Xfinity. Month to month plan.
The interesting thing is, the phone is $15 a month, $16 and some change after tax/fees, but they take $20 a month off my cable bill for using Xfinity Mobile.
The Verizon coverage is good in my area.
The only issue I have is the battery doesn't last near as long as it does on any other iPhone I've used.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

cork wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 pm The only issue I have is the battery doesn't last near as long as it does on any other iPhone I've used.
Interesting, I've seen that same complaint from users on Visible, which also on Verizon's network (it's actually a Verizon subsidiary). Generally battery performance should not vary much across networks, but maybe there's something about the Verizon network.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I use Xfinity as my cell provider and have had no service issues. Thanks for the heads up regarding this promo.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Thanks for posting this. I’m tempted. I’ll be looking into this…..
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

CWRadio wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 pm Xfinity is currently (until Aug 4) having a promotion on Apple iPhone SE. The iPhone SE is free if you sign up for a 24 month service plan. Simple plan cost $15 for 1GB of data and no max on text or voice. These terms only apply to current Comcast / Xfinity customers and transfer of your current cell number. I am currently a Tracfone customer.
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/shop?category=device
You can even add another iPhone SE for $1.75 a month..
Anyone have experience with Xfinity and have used this promotion? Thanks Paul
make sure you get a new contract for your internet/phone/cable BEFORE you agree to this promotion, and that contract is for the whole time period. (assuming having a contract for internet/phone/cable won't bar you from this promotion)

once you agree to a free phone and comcast cell service, its almost impossible to negotiate on the base services.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Just a note: this promo is not available to current Xfinity mobile customers. At least that's what I was told via chat with a rep.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

cork wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 pm
CWRadio wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 pm Anyone have experience with Xfinity and have used this promotion? Thanks Paul
I haven't used the promotion, but I did purchase the iPhone SE through Xfinity. Month to month plan.
The interesting thing is, the phone is $15 a month, $16 and some change after tax/fees, but they take $20 a month off my cable bill for using Xfinity Mobile.
The Verizon coverage is good in my area.
The only issue I have is the battery doesn't last near as long as it does on any other iPhone I've used.
SE is known to have worse battery life than other iPhones. It has a significantly smaller battery that other iPhones.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphone-s ... or-letdown
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Note that $15/GB of data is pretty steep. This plan makes sense only if you are near wifi most of the time.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

Still way more expensive than many other MVNOs. Plus you’re purchasing from a cable provider who is not known for customer service.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

regularguy455 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:01 am Plus you’re purchasing from a cable provider who is not known for customer service.
This was my experience.

I went with Xfinity Mobile last year because they were offering some kind of promotion. I was already a Comcast cable customer, and wanted to be on the Verizon network, so it looked like all would be good.

It was until I had an issue with my phone not being able to connect to the network. Then I found out that Xfinity’s tech support isn’t very competent with issues regarding cellular networks. I spent hours on the phone with them trying to resolve the issue. They were clueless and always defaulted to “it’s not us, it’s your phone”.

After a month, I happened to be at an Apple Store and mentioned the issue to one of the Apple folks. He says “I think I know what the problem is”, takes my phone, changes one setting, and the problem was fixed.

Luckily, the promotion I signed up for didn’t require a contract commitment. I dropped Xfinity that week.
Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out »

Xfinity is great for my family.

I rarely use the phone away from a wifi hotspot so we share (5 lines) on a single gb/month. When we take a long road trip, we preload movies and shows on the devices so they don't need to stream. That month I plan to go over the 1gb limit and pay whatever but typicall whereever we are, there is a wifi available.

$18/month all in for 5 lines for 10 months out of the year and a $45 month once or twice is a steal! Average $22/month total which is < $5/lin/month.

been working this plan for 8 years now. They also offer cheap phones, I usually pair their deal with a new card discount like $150 off the first 500 purchase. I bought a Samsung A50 for 499+tax - $250 from Xfinity - $150 +(1% of $500) so in the end < $100 for a $500 phone.

The ONLY downside with any a "piggyback" service like this is you take a back seat to the people using the actual service. This is upfront and in the literature of the phone deal. In times of high traffic (think power outage, traffic jam, football stadium, etc) Your data will be slowed and you may not get a phone connection if the local tower is slammed with native customers. You can buy a HD PASS which will increase you priority at the towers.

This does work as during my last power outage, my phone internet was nearly useless to check power outage status. The phone worked fine but the internet was really slow... (like 10 minutes to load a page if it didn't timeout. I ordered HD pass and it got much faster. It wasn't lightning fast as usual due to the increased traffic but it was at least well in the usable catagory. HD PASS is $20/month but you can turn it on and off as you like but 1 month is the increment. Not bad actually considering how rare I use it. its good to have the option.