Do you have a "man garage" away from your home?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bighatnohorse

Re: Do you have a "man garage" away from your home?

Post by bighatnohorse »

Yes, I have one.
Back in my early working years I looked at renting commercial space - it was crazy expensive.
We live on 2.5 acres and so I had a shop space built.

Back in the day it was pretty easy to get plans approved through the county, hire the contractors to install septic system, 200-amp electric and plumbing.
Worth every penny of it an more. Paid for itself many times over.

Yes, ask a realtor. I could sell this place in a heart beat. (Sorry, not for sale.)

A word: If you plan to build a shop (including having someone do it for you); you will be considered a "developer" and, depending on where you live, you might encounter many hoops to jump through. Hopefully not.

Second, always build taller, wider and longer than you anticipate needing.
The next owner might want to store their 40-foot motor home and boat in it.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

"waste of money" ?????

I bought a flex space unit for storage of fun and other items, kept it for three years then sold it for more than I paid. Purchase price fyi was about $275k. Where I now live, such units aren't available, or I'd do it again.
Every things free

Post by Every things free »

I have a beautiful 4 car "man garage" away from my house. It has it's own 200 amp electric service. It's metal. Factory built in Kentucky. Engineered for our snow load in the Rocky Mountains.

Everyone who walks in it remarks....I really love your garage. I wish I had it. I'd be out there all the time.

Kim
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Bought a house with 4-car garage (2x side-by-side, 2x tandem with workshop in back bay), just for that purpose. Glad I did.

Folks up the street added a metal building in their back lot large enough to hold 10x cars (5x per side), loft office/storage above one parking row, and front/back central rollup doors large enough for a bus/RV. I envy them, but don't need that much space.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

eucalyptus wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:00 am "waste of money" ?????

I bought a flex space unit for storage of fun and other items, kept it for three years then sold it for more than I paid. Purchase price fyi was about $275k. Where I now live, such units aren't available, or I'd do it again.
I am not normal when it comes to possessions. Don't have many and certainly don't want to spend money to store them.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

All your man shacks are bigger than my house it seems.

Would I rent a place 30 minutes away? Who on earth has time to commute to do hobbies. And even if you do it sounds pointless. I'd rather have that extra hour to do what I want to do.
London

Post by London »

jfave33 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:08 pm All your man shacks are bigger than my house it seems.

Would I rent a place 30 minutes away? Who on earth has time to commute to do hobbies. And even if you do it sounds pointless. I'd rather have that extra hour to do what I want to do.
Sounds like you’re in favor of building a garage on site.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Yes
I have a nice "shed"
approx 18x30 feet
Computer
Old Carpet
Flat Screen to Stream
Alexa Device
Coffee Pot
Tools
Relaxing Chair.
My home away from home
:)
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:03 pm

I am not normal when it comes to possessions. Don't have many and certainly don't want to spend money to store them.
I wouldn't call it abnormal but just less common. I used to be a collector of many things, had multiple cars which I did my own work on and then sometime in my 40s I just realized that crap owns me as much as I own it. So I started simplifying (still an ongoing process) at this point even if I was worth $100 million I would not own more stuff (though I'd likely buy a nice modest house in a really awesome location) but otherwise my possessions wouldn't change much. I would likely buy some more experiences though which is something I do today anyway. That said absolutely no judgement on folks who like to have lots of stuff. Everybody should do what works for them.
Last edited by THY4373 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

THY4373 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:03 pm

I wouldn't call it abnormal but just less common. I used to be a collector of many things, had multiple cars which I did my on work on and then sometime in my 40s I just realized that crap owns me as much as I own it. So I started simplifying (still an ongoing process) at this point even if I was worth $100 million I would not own more stuff (though I'd likely buy a nice modest house in a really awesome location) but otherwise my possessions wouldn't change much. I would likely buy some more experiences though which is something I do today anyway. That said absolutely no judgement on folks who like to have lots of stuff. Everybody should do what works for them.
Agree. Was just a little perturbed by the comment mentioning me thinking it was a waste of money because I don't have enough money :) I will let hoarders hoard :)
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

jayars35 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:34 pm I live in the country and have a shop that is nearly finished~185 feet from my house. Plumbing for a sink is the last thing to be done. 30 x 40 metal building on a slab. 200A service with a 50A circuit for a welder. Purpose is a shop for wood/metal working, auto repair and whatever I come up with. Also home to my tractor. My son and daughter are looking forward to using the shop as well.

I don't have boats, RV, etc..

I would not want to drive to a shop. I also loath the phrase "man cave".
That's why the spouse had a sign made: "Neanderthal Lodge" 8-)

I'd kept mine at 20x10 in the old place so as not to pay more in property taxes (any larger and they would have gone up) and didn't put in plumbing (that raises another whole situation, especially in hard winters ...even when just plumbing into the septic)... and would have required a lot more permits, whereas mine only needed the electrical (for the sunk lines to it and the 220/120 branches that it had. I also had put in lofts for storage and did have heat but not A/C)
illumination

Post by illumination »

I would love something like that. If I lived in a LCOL area where land was cheap, I would probably do it. But I would want it close by and where I'm at, just not feasible.

I knew someone that worked for an operation that basically rented out industrial space so people could store their classic/exotic car and work on it. For the really well heeled. I'm pretty sure the business failed. Cool idea, but just the economics didn't work. Expensive area, expensive rent, etc.

Definitely an indulgence, but so is being a member of a country club, owning a vacation house, etc. I know someone that owns vacant lots at country clubs just so he can be a member and play the golf course. To me, that's insane, but everyone is different.
fishnhunt

Post by fishnhunt »

I have a 3.5 car garage attached to the house, a 1/3 of this is a workshop area. Also have a 40' x 60' pole shed in the back yard. It is great.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

24’x24’ shop above garage. Worked on it during pandemic. A source of therapy. Everyone should have a place to go to avoid the trials and tribulations. Wood, metal working, bike repair, paint and refinishing. A place out of the weather etc. The sky is the limit.
Suggest no beer or other libations, can lead to problems.
HVAC
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

I’m actively looking for a “shop” to rent or buy. We want it to primarily store our boat, the toys for the boat, extra cars (vintage) and just a better shop space.

I may end up building, but I really don’t want another property.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

3+ car garage.
600 sf mini shop detached.
large warehouse building, detached.
stable building.
etc.

The "need" vs "want" for extra buildings and space depends on lifestyle and so forth. . .
Some folks only "need" and are happy with, a 900 s.f. 10th floor condo and 2 car stalls in a parking garage. .
. . . . also if you prefer to keep a John Deere tractor indoors or parked outside. . . . :D

One option is to live on a large property or acreage.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Toons wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:22 pm Yes
I have a nice "shed"
approx 18x30 feet
Computer
Old Carpet
Flat Screen to Stream
Alexa Device
Coffee Pot
Tools
Relaxing Chair.
My home away from home
:)
Sweet!

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

I think its a great idea if you have the space and money and you don't live in a place where the tax man will show up and crush you for it. In many places that nice 3 car garage with plumbing and electric will get taxed at $2,000+ per year and will only go up year after year after that.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I have a detached oversized 3-car garage with a walk-up attic. It's not big enough. Oh well.
irr

Post by irr »

We have a ~1600 sqft barn. It's nice to have but I've found it to be an added time suck with the cleaning, maintenance, organizing, etc..
Real estate, where even the most mediocre can become wealthy.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Try the Garage Journal Board . Those guys are major garage players.
Yes I have a 24’x24’ lair and I love it.
Some wood work, bicycle repair, ski tuning, painting etc.
Built 20+ years ago. Now at nearly 70 I’m glad I had the foresight. It’s been great during the pandemic to get away and build, create, chill. I’ve got a tremendous sound system, tv, chairs, deck, led shop lights. I can do anything or nothing as I please.
HVAC
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Try the Garage Journal Board . Those guys are major garage players.
Built 20+ years ago. Now at nearly 70 I’m glad I had the foresight. It’s been great during the pandemic to get away and build, create, chill. I’ve got a tremendous sound system, tv, chairs, deck, led shop lights. I can do anything or nothing as I please.
HVAC
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I have some work space in the laundry room. Did bird house assembly there last winter.

I the mud room I have a big sink for cleaning berries and tools, etc. and dog wash.

Main garage I have a built in work bench or household repairs.

Second garage is for car work and some storage.

Barn has more storage, mowers, and a separate workshop area with more storage and another work bench.

Plenty of places to hide!
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
smectym

Post by smectym »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm I don’t, and unless I had a specific hobby that takes a lot of space, like woodworking or something, it just sounds like an excuse to keep too much stuff. We’ve always taken the approach that if we didn’t have enough space, it was time to get rid of crap, not get a bigger space.

That said, my next door neighbor rented a small storefront a few blocks from home, called it his office, and used it as a place to go when he was tired of his wife. They eventually got divorced, so I’m not sure it was all that useful. At the time, though, storefronts we’re going begging, so it was a cheap way to get some extra space.
The deal is, fewer “guys” anymore have the mechanical, woodworking, “shop,” industrial arts &c. skill set that would make such a space desirable or seem other than “a waste of money.” Not saying that’s a good thing, it might even be a bad thing; but that’s the way things are
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:03 pm No, seems like a waste of money.
What do you waste your money on?
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

toofache32 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:41 pm
Not really anything, we don't spend much.

I guess it is wasting money to have two cars when we could probably sneak by with one.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

hvaclorax wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:16 pm Try the Garage Journal Board . Those guys are major garage players.
HVAC
I have one too. Love to be surrounded by my tools and gardening stuff, do maintenance on the cars and bikes, repair and refinish things, build bird houses, listen to my music, drink a beer, chill with the cat . . . .

Gives the wife a time out from me too.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Go for it. Leno has a garage. Just make sure to keep the wife happy, so that your garage doesn't become your home after you get divorced.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:55 pm

I guess it is wasting money to have two cars when we could probably sneak by with one.
I'm sure I could find something which, in my opinion, you waste your money on.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

toofache32 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:42 pm

We are extremely frugal :) There are things I WISH I could cut out... like A/C :) Not possible in AZ though.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:18 pm

We are extremely frugal :) There are things I WISH I could cut out... like A/C :) Not possible in AZ though.
Screens on windows allow air flow without insects. You should try it. Stop wasting your money with A/C since it's just a luxury.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

toofache32 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:46 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:18 pm

Screens on windows allow air flow without insects. You should try it. Stop wasting your money with A/C since it's just a luxury.
Windows open when 105+ doesn't work :) Super cooling is enough with temps hitting 88-89 degrees during peak hours inside, lol.

Anyways. Have a good one!
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

As for wasting money, I agree I didn’t use my space until after retirement. We mainly used it as storage. Now I’m glad to have it as my man cave. Not surprising that full time work kept me busy elsewhere. Adding it on now if I didn’t have from the get go would be unfortunate to say the least.
HVAC
celia

Post by celia »

We had friends in the neighborhood who had 2 cars but a one-car garage. They made arrangements with an older person on the block who no longer drove to use her garage for free. I suspect they had an informal agreement to look in on her each time they opened the garage door to make sure she was ok.

There are lots of options if you help others and they help you.