EY-Parthenon market study phone interview - scam?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
WGP3

EY-Parthenon market study phone interview - scam?

Post by WGP3 »

EY-Perthenon reached out to me via LinkedIn and is offering me a $200 gift card for completing a 30 minute phone interview. The body of their message is below. This seems to good to be true and a quick Google search shows their BBB rating has mixed results. Has anyone done a simiilar survey with them before? Mainly wondering if this is a scam or not.
Request for Expertise – Building Automation Systems (BAS)
Hi XXX,

I came across your profile while researching the market for BAS services such as design/integration and maintenance, and I think you might be a good candidate to help us understand this market a bit better.

By way of background, I work at EY-Parthenon, a market research and consulting firm which is part of EY, and I am based in Chicago. We are conducting research into the market for BAS services. I came across your profile in my search for individuals who might help us understand this market, including service vendor selection and any key market trends.

I’m hoping you might be willing to participate in a ~30-minute phone interview on these topics. In appreciation of your time, we will provide you with a $200 Tango gift card that you can redeem at a variety of major retailers (such as Amazon, Starbucks, etc.) or donate to a non-profit of your choice.

Thank you for your consideration, and if you are not interested in assisting with this research, please select ‘Decline’.

Disclaimer: Your participation in this survey is part of EY-Parthenon’s market research activities. Your participation would not constitute a business relationship with EY or with the client to whom we are providing professional services. Our decision to contact you was not influenced by any EY client relationship with you or your employer. The invitation to participate in the survey is for gathering of information only and is not meant to influence any decision or obtain a business advantage with you or your employer. Our intention is not to obtain confidential information and your responses to the survey questions should be consistent with any relevant confidentiality obligations. To find out how we use your personal data, please refer to the EY data privacy notice by clicking on this link EY-Parthenon Privacy Notice.

Best,

Growth Strategy Associate at EY-Parthenon
ctfish

Re: EY-Parthenon market study phone interview - scam?

Post by ctfish »

Google it, but seems reasonably legit. You could send them my way for $200, I'll split it with you.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

This is a relatively common industry practice to solicit experts for consultations. They are probably either doing specific work for a client, or conducting a thought leadership type study.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Don’t know your industry or this company, but it’s a common practice. Unlikely to be a scam, though I’d be hesitant to give non-public information about myself over the phone. I used to get a couple hundred bucks to sit in a nice conference room and look at drug ads for an hour. They paid in greenbacks, and didn’t require a W-9 (social security number) or issue a 1099-MISC.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Not a scam. I have done things with them via LinkedIn.

They are just trying to save $$$ by going direct and skipping expert networks.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Parthenon is the strategy consulting arm of Ernst and Young. This is not a scam
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I have dealt with those people on several occasions (and dozens of others). I have always found them to be legit if you are willing to do the work and answer the questions in a meaningful manner.
Topic Author
WGP3

Post by WGP3 »

Good to know, thanks all who replied!