Haier Appliances- Your Thoughts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
VeryBlessedCali

Haier Appliances- Your Thoughts?

Post by VeryBlessedCali »

Good morning Bogle Folks... what are your thoughts on Haier Appliances?
Specifically, Haier French Door Refrigerator, Microwave and Electric Range?
I plan to purchase at Costco for the Extended Warranty goodies.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... word=haier

I have limited small space so 30" is the max width for Refrigerator and 24" is the max width for electric range.
Thank you in advance for your inputs.
Have a Blessed Day!
David Jay

Re: Haier Appliances- Your Thoughts?

Post by David Jay »

They are a large, well known Chinese domestic brand. I remember driving by their headquarters building (some 20 stories high) in Qingdao about 15 years ago.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Every things free

Post by Every things free »

A month ago I purchased a Haier refrigerator model #HRQ16n3bags from Home Depot. It was on sale for about $1049. So far so good. It's super quiet.

Kim
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

Haier owns and manufactures GE appliances. The quality levels should be pretty close.
Topic Author
VeryBlessedCali

Post by VeryBlessedCali »

I appreciate your inputs David Jay, Every things free and Badger 42. Many Thanks.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

badger42 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 am Haier owns and manufactures GE appliances. The quality levels should be pretty close.
I would expect it to vary. They presumably have GE-heritage product lines and Haier-heritage product lines.

That said, they do continue to manufacture in the GE factories, and in fact against previous expectations, have recently started moving more work back to the US (onshoring):

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 0-New-Jobs
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

We purchased that refrigerator about 2.5 years ago. We mainly got it because we had an odd-sized space, and it was the largest that fit well. However, we like the fridge and have no complaints so far.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
student

Post by student »

badger42 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 am Haier owns and manufactures GE appliances. The quality levels should be pretty close.
I remember watching a documentary about Haier. It seems that long time ago, Haier wanted a relationship with GE, and essentially laughed out of the door, so it was kind of a big deal when they purchased GE appliances.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Ive got a cheap Haier chest freezer thats been humming away for several years now with no issues.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

VeryBlessedCali wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:03 am Thank you in advance for your inputs.
Pick any appliance thread on here and LG (South Korean) always gets dinged because their supply chain for spare parts is almost non-existent without extensive waits which can be brutal to weather for essential appliances like a refrigerator. I experienced this first hand having to get a new refrigerator because the control board got zapped due to lightening and there was a six month lead time to get a new board for my old one.

I don't care how Haier (Chinese) is quality wise. My first question would be to the local repairman and ask him how long it would be to get parts for a Haier appliance should one go bad. Unless he told me they are commonly stocked and have quantities on hand IN THE US, it would be a hard pass for me.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Unfortunately I had negative experiences with Haier. I purchased one of their refrigerators only because they had the small size I needed. 8 months afterwards, the compressor goes out. I got it repaired under warranty. Two years later, they issued a recall on this refrigerator and the compressor. Three days before the scheduled appointment for the recall fix, the compressor goes out. It's been a little over 2 years since the second compressor and fortunately it is still running. The particular model I have is very noisy. GE service is now servicing these.
mtnlover

Post by mtnlover »

I had a Haier dehumidifier. It lasted 1year and one month— long enough that it was out of warranty. Lousy quality, I will never again buy a Haier product.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Lasting 1 year:
In 1987 I bought two new GE window air conditioners for our just bought house. Exactly 1 year later both window ACs failed.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

That is a 15 cf refrigerator which is on the small side. It is counter depth which makes is even smaller. This is an ideal size for some applications. It is expected to use 448 kwh/year, or 29.86 kwh/cf

You wrote that you have 30" of space. If you have even 30.1" of width, and don't need the counter depth the Haier offers, you may consider this LG that is exactly 30" wide, with a 23.5 cf capacity
https://www.costco.com/lg-22-cu.-ft.-3- ... 34541.html
It is expected to use 587 kwh/year or 24.97 kwh/cf. Of course if you don't need more than 15 cf, the larger LG will use up more space and more electricity than needed.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

VeryBlessedCali wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:03 am Good morning Bogle Folks... what are your thoughts on Haier Appliances?
Specifically, Haier French Door Refrigerator, Microwave and Electric Range?
I plan to purchase at Costco for the Extended Warranty goodies.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... word=haier

I have limited small space so 30" is the max width for Refrigerator and 24" is the max width for electric range.
Thank you in advance for your inputs.
Have a Blessed Day!
Take this for what it is worth. The Korean and Chinese appliance brands are notorious for being inferior to their American counter parts. People complain all the time about Samsung and LG appliances failing after 5 years. TV's on the other hand are excellent.

I might be biased though as I work for a company that manufactures their appliances sold in North America in the US and Mexico.