which brand auto battery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nyc10036

which brand auto battery

Post by Nyc10036 »

I have an Advance Auto near me.
They sell the DieHard Gold and DieHard Silver.

I won't touch the batteries Walmart sells.
tibbitts

Re: which brand auto battery

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm I have an Advance Auto near me.

At least at various times I believe Walmart and DieHard batteries have been produced by the same company so I don't think there's any reason to reject a Walmart battery. I've had one short-lived (2-year, replaced under the full-replacement warranty) Walmart battery and one that lasted over seven years. My DieHard batteries were all fine, as have been my AAA-brand batteries and Duracell brand. There are only a couple of manufacturers of conventional automotive batteries. You might want to specify if you want conventional lead-acid or AGM.
adventure

Post by adventure »

I bought a Diehard Platinum 4 year replacement battery at Advance Auto recently. They installed it in just a few minutes. Nice thing with Advance Auto is the 4 year warranty is full replacement, not that pro-rated game many places do after a year or two.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

At this point most standard wet cell lead acid car batteries made in the US are produced by 2 manufactures (Johnson Controls and Exide). As a result the batteries for each type and size category for dozens of "brands" are manufactured on the same factory line with identical internals. Differences are primarily different color plastic cases and of course brand labeling.

Best advice for a standard wet cell car battery is to ignore brands, and supposed premium batteries with multi year extended prorated warranties - prorated warranties are universally a scam, the higher price you pay is the cost of a terrible prepaid insurance policy (but still getting the same battery). Just modern day marketing smoke and mirrors for gullible consumers who don't take the time to read the fine print.

The best battery for your car is the one that is fairly priced and is: 1) the heaviest and biggest that will fit in your car; 2) has a full replacement cost warranty for 36-40 months, 3) fresh - avoid batteries with manufacture dates older that 3-5 months.

Costco and Walmart are probably the best places to buy car batteries at reasonable cost. Costco batteries have 40 month replacement warranty, Walmart I think is 36 month. Walmart may be more convenient as they will test and install at no charge, not sure on Costco testing and install.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I’ve only ever purchased car batteries from Costco. Never been disappointed.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Sam's Club, no issues either... Probably mostly all the same anyways.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I use whatever AAA sells. They come to you to install, and I think the warranty is decent.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I just purchased a battery from Sam’s Club a few weeks ago. I had a battery failure, so didn’t fully shop my options but still pleased with the results.

My choices were two different type of Duracell’s made by Exide at their PA factory. I chose the larger of the two sizes recommended, and decided to pay extra for AGM. The CCA and Reserve ratings were also the highest option available.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

My old battery installed by AAA 20 months ago died. It's in 36 months replacement warranty. They came to replace with a new one yesterday. There are 16 months warranty left.
From mid June to mid July, the car was idle. Then I called AAA to jump start it. It worked fine. However afterwards, it just hesitate to start every time. I don't know if that one month of idleness contributed to the eventual battery.
greengates

Post by greengates »

30+ years ago a family member worked in quality control for a battery factory. At that time they just changed the casing/labeling depending on who was purchasing. Insides were all the same.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 am I’ve only ever purchased car batteries from Costco. Never been disappointed.
+1, No hassle 3 year warranty, full replacement at Costco (no proration), very easy process, I've used this a few times.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Then you probably need to forget about getting a DieHard....it is the same battery, just a different sticker on the case.

jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:02 pm At this point most standard wet cell lead acid car batteries made in the US are produced by 2 manufactures (Johnson Controls and Exide). As a result the batteries for each type and size category for dozens of "brands" are manufactured on the same factory line with identical internals. Differences are primarily different color plastic cases and of course brand labeling.

Best advice for a standard wet cell car battery is to ignore brands, and supposed premium batteries with multi year extended prorated warranties - prorated warranties are universally a scam, the higher price you pay is the cost of a terrible prepaid insurance policy (but still getting the same battery). Just modern day marketing smoke and mirrors for gullible consumers who don't take the time to read the fine print.

The best battery for your car is the one that is fairly priced and is: 1) the heaviest and biggest that will fit in your car; 2) has a full replacement cost warranty for 36-40 months, 3) fresh - avoid batteries with manufacture dates older that 3-5 months.

Costco and Walmart are probably the best places to buy car batteries at reasonable cost. Costco batteries have 40 month replacement warranty, Walmart I think is 36 month. Walmart may be more convenient as they will test and install at no charge, not sure on Costco testing and install.
I agree.

Everstart batteries at Walmart are manufactured by Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls). DieHard batteries are also manufactured by Clarios. In fact, you could set an Everstart battery next to a DieHard battery of the same size and grade and the only difference you would see is the "brand" sticker on the case. There is no difference whatsoever between DieHard and Everstart batteries of the same type/grade/size.

The prices are where you find a difference. For example, if your vehicle uses a group size 24 battery, here are the DieHard options:

DieHard Gold, 700 CCA, 3 yr warranty, $170
DieHard Silver, 600 CCA, 2 yr warranty, $150

And the identical batteries with an Everstart label:

Everstart Maxx, 700 CCA, 3 yr warranty, $130
Everstart Plus, 600 CCA, 2 yr warranty, $100

So you'll likely save 25%-30% by purchasing an Everstart from Walmart and it will be the same battery you can purchase at Advance Auto, it just won't have a DieHard label.

Costco sells Interstate batteries which I believe are now manufactured by Exide. Of course you need a Costco membership to purchase a battery there.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Walmart EverStart Maxx has a 3 year replacement and a 2 year pro-rated warranty.

Most people fail to adequately test car batteries before replacing them. Also, many modern vehicles have sophisticated battery sensing and charging systems that can require a reset and relearn process to properly maintain the battery's state of charge, often called BMS or Battery Management System. Some vehicle systems also need to relearn such as the transmission or fuel system.

Changing from a lead acid battery to an AGM battery may require modifying a setting in the vehicle also, as they have a different charge profile.

Refer to your manual for the correct procedure. Shops that are not auto manufacturers may not know these processes.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

East Penn is also a major supplier.

Here is a interesting list of manufactures and brands they manufacture for. Johnson Controls is now under the Clarios label.
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Also, here is a CR buying guide.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/car ... /index.htm
Last edited by bob60014 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

The strongest one from sams or costco whoever is cheapest.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I go to the nearest auto part store and get the middle option. I couldn't tell you what brand of battery I've ever had in any of my cars. I've never noticed any difference either.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

adventure wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:57 pm I bought a Diehard Platinum 4 year replacement battery at Advance Auto recently. They installed it in just a few minutes. Nice thing with Advance Auto is the 4 year warranty is full replacement, not that pro-rated game many places do after a year or two.
Looks like a 3 year warranty now:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/die ... 10310829-P

Was curious as most batteries will last 3 years but getting additional life beyond that is highly variable.
dbr

Post by dbr »

If you want options in batteries you could investigate different technology such as AGM rather than lead plate.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

The YouTube channel Project Farm did a good, independent review on various car batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Interesting because many Walmart models are exactly the same as Autozone, Advance, and Costco/Interstate, manufactured by Clarios (formerly JCI). Compare specs forv the same model with a different branding sticker.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 am I’ve only ever purchased car batteries from Costco. Never been disappointed.
I used to as well....but Costco recently decreased inventory models so even my very common battery was no longer carried. The Costco warranty shrunk too.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I believe most/all NAPA branded batteries are Deka (East Penn), which are excellent batteries. Their prices are very competitive too.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

Yeah most batteries are the same or similar accross many retailers.
No issue whatsoever with Walmart.

I would suggest you call and or inspect stock before buying and pick one that is freshest. Either by date sticker or going as far as checking the resting voltage and picking the highest.

I recently was faced with this quandry and went with NAPA.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I have had excellent luck buying a reconditioned battery directly from an Interstate battery store. If I don't have time to drive the half hour there, I'll look carefully at Wal Mart inventory. Just like clothing and cars and oil containers, battery labels and graphics change year to year. What? You don't keep up with battery fashion? The old batteries in inventory are often clearance priced to get the old graphic batteries out. This also happens a lot with motor oil. Prices tend to be $200 for a brand new, in fashion battery, $100 for the out of fashion battery and $50 for a reconditioned battery at Interstate.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
dbr

Post by dbr »

What might be helpful is to look at possible specs and capacities that can be used in your vehicle. OEM spec might especially be a "small economy" size for your vehicle and better choices are available not because the battery is "better" but because it may be more robust for your needs.

In some cases battery problems are vehicle problems or even user problems.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I typically get NAPA branded products for our vehicles. Their products have seemed to be of good quality for the price. My small town also has a NAPA so I can buy online and swing by to pick it up on my way home, if we had a different auto parts chain I'm sure I'd be fine with them instead.

For batteries it really doesn't matter, as said several times above there are only a couple manufacturers so get whatever name or color makes you feel good. I do agree with the recommendations to get the highest CCA battery that'll fit.
dbr

Post by dbr »

A different battery spec to examine is Reserve Capacity.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"My choices were two different type of Duracell’s made by Exide at their PA factory."

The Duracells I've purchased in the past two years are made by East Penn/DEKA in PA. I have 3 Group 31 AGMs for my boat and 2 regular batteries for our Avalon and 4Runner.

BatteriesPlus gives a 10% discount for ordering on line and picking it up at the store.

Oh, and our two riding mowers have Duracells.

I've had good luck over the years with Walmart batteries for cars and boats, along with various batteries made by Johnson Controls and Exide. That pretty much covers the big three.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

abner kravitz wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:35 am I use whatever AAA sells. They come to you to install, and I think the warranty is decent.
This. End thread.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:14 am I have had excellent luck buying a reconditioned battery directly from an Interstate battery store. If I don't have time to drive the half hour there, I'll look carefully at Wal Mart inventory. Just like clothing and cars and oil containers, battery labels and graphics change year to year. What? You don't keep up with battery fashion? The old batteries in inventory are often clearance priced to get the old graphic batteries out. This also happens a lot with motor oil. Prices tend to be $200 for a brand new, in fashion battery, $100 for the out of fashion battery and $50 for a reconditioned battery at Interstate.
I had never seen or heard of reconditioned batteries, nor ever seen motor oil or batteries priced lower due to cosmetic changes. What website are you finding these on? Although I have to say I wouldn't drive 50 miles just to buy any of the above.
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

I use nothing but Walmart batteries. About 7 batteries over the last 10+ years in 5 different cars without any issue.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Just picked up an Interstate battery for my F-150 at Costco ...... 850 CCA ........ 3-year warranty ....... $99.99.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

TnGuy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:05 pm Just picked up an Interstate battery for my F-150 at Costco ...... 850 CCA ........ 3-year warranty ....... $99.99.

David
It's important for everyone to realize that things like CCA for similar battery technologies are somewhat based on physical size. So if someone goes shopping for 850CCA @ $100 for a vehicle with a smaller physical space for a battery, they might be disappointed.
sport

Post by sport »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm
TnGuy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:05 pm Just picked up an Interstate battery for my F-150 at Costco ...... 850 CCA ........ 3-year warranty ....... $99.99.

David
It's important for everyone to realize that things like CCA for similar battery technologies are somewhat based on physical size. So if someone goes shopping for 850CCA @ $100 for a vehicle with a smaller physical space for a battery, they might be disappointed.
This is correct. CCA is proportional to the surface area of the plates. For any given group size, this means the number of plates and the size of the plates. More plates and larger plates equates to more surface area and thus higher CCA. BTW, CCA (cold cranking amps) is the amount of current the battery can deliver at 0 degrees F for 30 seconds.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Batteries have the month/year made stamped on them. Only buy a fresh battery. That might be the one at the back of the rack...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

I usually get mine at Costco but this last time they gave me a hard time because I was getting a bigger battery than the one that came in my car. They cut the warranty period down. I have the same issues with getting non factory tire sizes there too.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

DetroitAvant wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:21 pm I usually get mine at Costco but this last time they gave me a hard time because I was getting a bigger battery than the one that came in my car. They cut the warranty period down. I have the same issues with getting non factory tire sizes there too.
How did they know your OEM battery size? I just pull a battery off the shelf and bring it to the cashier. I’d do self-checkout if the thing weren’t heavy enough to pop a hernia.
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:29 pm
DetroitAvant wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:21 pm I usually get mine at Costco but this last time they gave me a hard time because I was getting a bigger battery than the one that came in my car. They cut the warranty period down. I have the same issues with getting non factory tire sizes there too.
How did they know your OEM battery size? I just pull a battery off the shelf and bring it to the cashier. I’d do self-checkout if the thing weren’t heavy enough to pop a hernia.
Ours are in the tire center and it has it's own entrance.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 am Walmart EverStart Maxx has a 3 year replacement and a 2 year pro-rated warranty.

Most people fail to adequately test car batteries before replacing them. Also, many modern vehicles have sophisticated battery sensing and charging systems that can require a reset and relearn process to properly maintain the battery's state of charge, often called BMS or Battery Management System. Some vehicle systems also need to relearn such as the transmission or fuel system.

Changing from a lead acid battery to an AGM battery may require modifying a setting in the vehicle also, as they have a different charge profile.

Refer to your manual for the correct procedure. Shops that are not auto manufacturers may not know these processes.
Good points ...on my vehicle, the new battery must be "registered" so it can interact with the alternator. Also, if your car came with an AGM, stick with it
My independent mechanic does not have the software tool to register the battery.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

DetroitAvant wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:32 pm
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:29 pm
Ours are in the tire center and it has it's own entrance.
Can you do order pickup? Of course then you don't get to choose the date of manufacture. The last battery I bought at Sams I did pull from the back of the rack but pulling out all the other batteries to check their date codes would have been more effort than seemed worthwhile.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Swansea wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:36 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 am Walmart EverStart Maxx has a 3 year replacement and a 2 year pro-rated warranty.

Good points ...on my vehicle, the new battery must be "registered" so it can interact with the alternator. Also, if your car came with an AGM, stick with it
My independent mechanic does not have the software tool to register the battery.
I had never heard of that, but good to know, thanks.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

In general:
Buy a battery that fits with the most CCAs you can get.
Take it home and put it on a trickle charger to get it fully charged before installing - I'm a bit of a nut about this.
Buy from a volume seller that moves inventory and has fresh product on the shelf.

On my car and motorcycle I run the more expensive gel batteries. Motorcycle has heat issues due to exhaust running close to the battery and the gel battery seems to last more seasons. For the car, I used to travel and liked the gel battery for leaving the car at the airport for extended periods. They hold a charge longer and recover from being discharged better than regular batteries. But again - I'm a little nutty about my batteries.
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

Optima battery website says gels are less tolerant of heat.

WHAT IS A GEL BATTERY? IS OPTIMA® A GEL BATTERY?
A gel battery design is typically a modification of the standard lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. Many gel batteries also use one-way valves in place of open vents, which help the normal internal gasses to recombine back into water in the battery, reducing gassing. Generally, gel batteries are less tolerant of high heat and are charged at lower power than traditional or AGM batteries. An OPTIMA battery is neither a gel battery nor a regular flooded battery. OPTIMA is a SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY AGM battery.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:02 pm At this point most standard wet cell lead acid car batteries made in the US are produced by 2 manufactures (Johnson Controls and Exide). As a result the batteries for each type and size category for dozens of "brands" are manufactured on the same factory line with identical internals. Differences are primarily different color plastic cases and of course brand labeling.

All good advice and I always pull the negative terminal on a battery in any car that is going to sit more than 7-10 days in storage.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Walmarts in my area carry East Penn batteries. Serial #'s begin with the letters EP. I buy the cheapest Walmart battery and replace every 3 or 4 years. The last battery, purchased in 2019 was $55. It has always started the car.
s2kduff

Post by s2kduff »

An AGM battery is a lead acid battery. You may have meant to say changing from a flooded battery.

-s2kduff
akcowboy

Post by akcowboy »

Scales don't lie. Lead is the primary content of a car battery and it is heavy. Buy the heavy one.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Optima batteries all day long. Red top is a great choice for auto.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

s2kduff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:58 pm

An AGM battery is a lead acid battery. You may have meant to say changing from a flooded battery.

-s2kduff
I did not. If you switch from the normal lead acid battery to an AGM battery, a Ford BMS system must be reset.
We'll See

Post by We'll See »

I have three vehicles at my house plus a fish and ski boat that has three batteries in it so I need to buy batteries from time to time. I strictly just go to Costco now. I've tried the various auto parts stores and the batteries aren't better, the warranties are a joke, and Costco is way cheaper. Sam's Club is likely similar.