which brand auto battery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rudedog

Re: which brand auto battery

Post by Rudedog »

I've had good luck with Auto Zone batteries, one lasted nine years and another lasted seven years. I don't buy the cheapest, generally the middle-priced.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I see this asked a lot on auto sites. My attitude is that batteries are so incredibly cheap, why would anybody care? You're gonna need to buy $2000 worth of gas before that battery goes bad. So it'll be okay. Ignore the warranty. Just buy one when you need it. It just doesn't pass the who cares test.

They're all made by Johnson Controls or Exide, but I am sure the price point makes some difference. Interstate is good, and I'm sure the die-hards are good. I would bet OEM-branded batteries from the dealer are very good. Optima is the absolutely highest price point, but people complain about them not being as good as they "used to be". Hankook just built a battery factory in Tennessee and they are calling their battery "Atlas". I have not seen any, so I don't know if they are available yet. I think though the plant should be started up by now.
This time is the same
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:30 am I see this asked a lot on auto sites. My attitude is that batteries are so incredibly cheap, why would anybody care? You're gonna need to buy $2000 worth of gas before that battery goes bad. So it'll be okay. Ignore the warranty. Just buy one when you need it. It just doesn't pass the who cares test.

They're all made by Johnson Controls or Exide, but I am sure the price point makes some difference. Interstate is good, and I'm sure the die-hards are good. I would bet OEM-branded batteries from the dealer are very good. Optima is the absolutely highest price point, but people complain about them not being as good as they "used to be". Hankook just built a battery factory in Tennessee and they are calling their battery "Atlas". I have not seen any, so I don't know if they are available yet. I think though the plant should be started up by now.
Why would you care? Because a failed battery can leave you stranded. Cost is not everything.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
s2kduff

Post by s2kduff »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:35 pm
s2kduff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:58 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 am Walmart EverStart Maxx has a 3 year replacement and a 2 year pro-rated warranty.

Most people fail to adequately test car batteries before replacing them. Also, many modern vehicles have sophisticated battery sensing and charging systems that can require a reset and relearn process to properly maintain the battery's state of charge, often called BMS or Battery Management System. Some vehicle systems also need to relearn such as the transmission or fuel system.

Changing from a lead acid battery to an AGM battery may require modifying a setting in the vehicle also, as they have a different charge profile.

Refer to your manual for the correct procedure. Shops that are not auto manufacturers may not know these processes.
An AGM battery is a lead acid battery. You may have meant to say changing from a flooded battery.

-s2kduff
I did not. If you switch from the normal lead acid battery to an AGM battery, a Ford BMS system must be reset.
You missed the point. An AGM battery IS a lead acid battery. You implied that it wasn’t when you stated to change from a lead acid battery to an AGM battery. There are several types of lead acid batteries - flooded, gel, AGM, SLA, etc. This is often misunderstood.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Nothing wrong with the Diehard battery from Advance Auto. Last year I purchased Diehard Silver (w/2 year free replacement) for DD's car. Key is to buy online for instore pickup, but use a coupon code. I was able to find a $35 coupon code bringing cost down to $104, plus they installed in vehicle for me. Process took a whole 10 minutes. IMO, a very good value and have had zero issues. Also, I used a cash back site for an additional 4% back. :beer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

AllMostThere wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:51 am Nothing wrong with the Diehard battery from Advance Auto. Last year I purchased Diehard Silver (w/2 year free replacement) for DD's car. Key is to buy online for instore pickup, but use a coupon code. I was able to find a $35 coupon code bringing cost down to $104, plus they installed in vehicle for me. Process took a whole 10 minutes. IMO, a very good value and have had zero issues. Also, I used a cash back site for an additional 4% back. :beer
You must have some "special" coupon codes! I've been a SpeedPerks member for years and have periodically tried to purchase an auto battery using a coupon code, both those sent to me and those that are publicly available. However, all of the batteries have this note: "This item is not eligible for further promotional discounts, coupons or special offers" and I've never been able to successfully apply a coupon code to a battery purchase. That's where I always start but then end up at Walmart when I can't apply a discount at Advance.
hudson

Post by hudson »

From "Sport" in another auto battery discussion: viewtopic.php?p=5570268#p5570268
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

s2kduff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 am You missed the point. An AGM battery IS a lead acid battery. You implied that it wasn’t when you stated to change from a lead acid battery to an AGM battery. There are several types of lead acid batteries - flooded, gel, AGM, SLA, etc. This is often misunderstood.
Thanks for that clarification, since many of us leave off the "normal" or "standard" when referring to a conventional flooded lead acid battery (I did in this thread), when we should be more specific.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Years ago when I had Concours d'Elegance cars, we all used the AC/Delco sealed batteries, basically to prevent vapor damage on components in the engine bay. Gads, this was decades ago, not sure if people still do that, I haven't seen the Delco batteries around lately. Just thought of that, but those were good batteries.
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

AllMostThere wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:51 am Nothing wrong with the Diehard battery from Advance Auto. Last year I purchased Diehard Silver (w/2 year free replacement) for DD's car. Key is to buy online for instore pickup, but use a coupon code. I was able to find a $35 coupon code bringing cost down to $104, plus they installed in vehicle for me. Process took a whole 10 minutes. IMO, a very good value and have had zero issues. Also, I used a cash back site for an additional 4% back. :beer
I ended up buying a Diehard Gold from Advance Auto.
The other choice was the same battery from Walmart which is failing after 2 years.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nyc10036 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:17 pm
The other choice was the same battery from Walmart which is failing after 2 years.
Wouldn't the Walmart replacement have been free (unless you had one of the low-end Walmart models, which is possible since they don't make the higher-end models in every size)? My Walmart Maxx battery failed after 2.5 years; the identical free replacement lasted over seven years. Just an FYI however: my understanding is that a few years ago Walmart changed their warranty to not reset for free replacement batteries. In other words, once upon a time, if your original battery failed after 2.5 years, your replacement 3-year warranty would result in you effectively having a full-replacement 5.5 year warranty on the original. I believe Walmart changed the policy such that your replacement warranty started from the original battery installation date.
Galt guy

Post by Galt guy »

Rudedog wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:47 pm I've had good luck with Auto Zone batteries, one lasted nine years and another lasted seven years. I don't buy the cheapest, generally the middle-priced.
I'll second AutoZone. Their DuraLast batteries have performed well for me.
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm
Wouldn't the Walmart replacement have been free (unless you had one of the low-end Walmart models, which is possible since they don't make the higher-end models in every size)? My Walmart Maxx battery failed after 2.5 years; the identical free replacement lasted over seven years. Just an FYI however: my understanding is that a few years ago Walmart changed their warranty to not reset for free replacement batteries. In other words, once upon a time, if your original battery failed after 2.5 years, your replacement 3-year warranty would result in you effectively having a full-replacement 5.5 year warranty on the original. I believe Walmart changed the policy such that your replacement warranty started from the original battery installation date.
The failing battery shows as still good on their tester.
But it measures 12.35V versus 12.68V with the new Diehard.
So, I managed to get them to refund me a pro-rated amount.

squirm

Post by squirm »

The Sam's Club has served me well, but the store doesn't always have a large selection.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

AAA. The warranty is great.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

s2kduff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:35 pm
s2kduff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:58 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 am Walmart EverStart Maxx has a 3 year replacement and a 2 year pro-rated warranty.

Most people fail to adequately test car batteries before replacing them. Also, many modern vehicles have sophisticated battery sensing and charging systems that can require a reset and relearn process to properly maintain the battery's state of charge, often called BMS or Battery Management System. Some vehicle systems also need to relearn such as the transmission or fuel system.

Changing from a lead acid battery to an AGM battery may require modifying a setting in the vehicle also, as they have a different charge profile.

Refer to your manual for the correct procedure. Shops that are not auto manufacturers may not know these processes.
An AGM battery is a lead acid battery. You may have meant to say changing from a flooded battery.

-s2kduff
I did not. If you switch from the normal lead acid battery to an AGM battery, a Ford BMS system must be reset.
You missed the point. An AGM battery IS a lead acid battery. You implied that it wasn’t when you stated to change from a lead acid battery to an AGM battery. There are several types of lead acid batteries - flooded, gel, AGM, SLA, etc. This is often misunderstood.
They are all lead acid yes, but they DO have different charging profiles and can tolerate different charging voltages.

See: http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq9.htm

Most cars just charge at 14.5v CC/CV no matter what type, but smart battery chargers can use the specific profile for each type and it does make a difference to battery longevity. AGM in particular benefit from a higher 14.9v CV cutoff to fully charge.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I've had good luck with Auto Zone batteries, one lasted nine years and another lasted seven years.
running an older battery that doesn't hold a charge well is a great way to damage your alternator. :beer
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 am I’ve only ever purchased car batteries from Costco. Never been disappointed.
We have retired to where it’s hot. Battery-killing hot. The kind of heat where you are advised to replace your vehicle battery every 24-36 months…as a preventative measure. Over the past twelve months, I’ve replaced the batteries in both our vehicles with the Costco-Interstate battery and have yet to have a problem or need to use the 36-month warranty. Over the past couple decades, I’ve had occasion to return a few things to Costco (non-function, changed mind, etc.), and have never had a single issue. This guides my behavior in purchases and points to the likelihood of continued support. Oh yeah, it was a Good Deal as well, so there’s that.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Interstate from Costco.

Cheap, good warranty, Consumer Reports put them and WalMart's Maxx brand on top.

Car batteries are basically all made by the same 2-3 companies, just different labels for the distributors and how they warranty them.
I think the better bet is to just buy a new battery every few years and replace preemptively rather than pay triple the price for one with a better warranty.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Diehard Gold (Advance Auto Parts/Sears), Everlast (Walmart), Interstate (Costco and other stores), Champion (Pep Boys), Duralast (Autozone) with the same group size and CCA specs are the exact same battery models manufactured on the same Clarios factory line. The branding sticker is added after production.

The only differences are

A) The label sticker that says EverStart, "Diehard Gold," Duralast, Interstate, Champion etc. and
B) the warranty, which is chosen by the retailer, and
C) Price!

Clarios operates the website autobatteries.com which used to cross list all of the brands for spec comparison. Since they were spun off from JCI, it appears they just send you to the big retailer websites, except those that require memberships.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

For one of my vehicles, the last battery change was at Walmart -- lasted 8+ years and over 110k miles. Has done a great job so far, despite periods of 3 week inactivity and cold weather.

It may be reaching EOL though, it drained recently when the interior light was on for 3-4 days because the rear hatch didn't close properly on some debris. Recharged again after that. As others have pointed out, batteries are largely made by the same OEM. I don't have a Costco membership, so I'd go to Walmart again when I need to change it.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:35 am
You must have some "special" coupon codes! I've been a SpeedPerks member for years and have periodically tried to purchase an auto battery using a coupon code, both those sent to me and those that are publicly available. However, all of the batteries have this note: "This item is not eligible for further promotional discounts, coupons or special offers" and I've never been able to successfully apply a coupon code to a battery purchase. That's where I always start but then end up at Walmart when I can't apply a discount at Advance.
They definitely used to. When I bought mine 5.5 years ago--when it was called AutoCraft Platinum, so before Advance Auto purchased the DieHard marketing name--I was able to use a $50 coupon on it. You are right that any time I've looked in recent years, they've specifically disallowed any coupons or discounts.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Last spring, I read a Bogleheads post advising folks to change their batteries every 4 years (+/- some interval depending on climate) regardless of condition. I remember thinking "that sounds like good advice" but forgot about it. Three weeks later, at 4.5 years old, our car battery died in a very inconvenient time/location. I could not jump it with the portable li-on battery pack. I now have a new roadside-installed AAA battery, which cost way more than a store would have charged, and am also down an additional $500 due to side effects of that breakdown.

So now I'll just replace every 3 years, regardless of condition, with whatever mid-grade brand a nearby retailer sells. I figure age matters much more than brand.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I am a happy Costco customer, but until they start installing batteries, I'll stick to Advance Auto Parts.

I buy online, then go to our usual location and they bring it out and install it. We are on our way in 15-20 minutes. I don't even get out of the van.

I had a good experience with AAA batteries. I had one installed and it failed about month shy of three years. So I called AAA and when the guy came out he said he couldn't put a new battery in because of my lift. He also said if I called in to AAA, they would refund my original cost. So I did and AAA did refund the original price. So I got 35 months of a free battery. They treated me fairly, for sure.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
sport

Post by sport »

vfinx wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:17 pm So now I'll just replace every 3 years, regardless of condition, with whatever mid-grade brand a nearby retailer sells. I figure age matters much more than brand.
If you replace with a top-grade model instead of a mid-grade, you are less likely to get stuck. A battery with more lead in it (higher ratings) can be expected to last longer.
hudson

Post by hudson »

sport wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:05 pm
vfinx wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:17 pm So now I'll just replace every 3 years, regardless of condition, with whatever mid-grade brand a nearby retailer sells. I figure age matters much more than brand.
If you replace with a top-grade model instead of a mid-grade, you are less likely to get stuck. A battery with more lead in it (higher ratings) can be expected to last longer.
From a past discussion it seems like sport buys up a grade or two....whatever fits in the battery tray and replaces it every 5 years.
I plan to replace mine every 5 years; I'll replace the battery in my wife's vehicle every 4 years.
There are climates where that won't work...really hot and really cold maybe.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:02 pm At this point most standard wet cell lead acid car batteries made in the US are produced by 2 manufactures (Johnson Controls and Exide). As a result the batteries for each type and size category for dozens of "brands" are manufactured on the same factory line with identical internals. Differences are primarily different color plastic cases and of course brand labeling.
Made in the same factory does not mean the same thing as identical internals. The manufacturers can and do change the plate thickness and structure to trade performance, longevity, and cost based on the application. I do not know to what extent this is done for different retailers, but I'm fairly certain it happens. Also, an AGM battery is significantly different than a common valve regulated battery and should last longer, especially in more severe applications like engines with start/stop control.

That said, there is basically no technical comparative shopping information given to help buyers decide between batteries of the same type. Only different branding (eg - Diehard vs. Diehard Gold). Weight can be a hint, but is not a guarantee. If in doubt, I agree with getting a heavier battery, but you can have a heavier battery with worse starting performance, but more tolerance of cycling due to different internal construction.
criticalmass wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 am Interesting because many Walmart models are exactly the same as Autozone, Advance, and Costco/Interstate, manufactured by Clarios (formerly JCI). Compare specs forv the same model with a different branding sticker.
criticalmass wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:57 pm Diehard Gold (Advance Auto Parts/Sears), Everlast (Walmart), Interstate (Costco and other stores), Champion (Pep Boys), Duralast (Autozone) with the same group size and CCA specs are the exact same battery models manufactured on the same Clarios factory line. The branding sticker is added after production.

The only differences are

A) The label sticker that says EverStart, "Diehard Gold," Duralast, Interstate, Champion etc. and
C) Price!
Don't tell the retailers. They think they're selling different products!

Diehard Gold Group 24, 700 CCA
Everstart Maxx Group 24, 700 CCA

Far more important than the fact that not only the sticker, but also the physical cases are visibly different, is the fact that the Diehard battery has a listed weight of 4 pounds more than the Everstart.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

vfinx wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:17 pm Last spring, I read a Bogleheads post advising folks to change their batteries every 4 years (+/- some interval depending on climate) regardless of condition. I remember thinking "that sounds like good advice" but forgot about it. Three weeks later, at 4.5 years old, our car battery died in a very inconvenient time/location. I could not jump it with the portable li-on battery pack. I now have a new roadside-installed AAA battery, which cost way more than a store would have charged, and am also down an additional $500 due to side effects of that breakdown.

So now I'll just replace every 3 years, regardless of condition, with whatever mid-grade brand a nearby retailer sells. I figure age matters much more than brand.
When I shopped for a new battery in 2020, other than warehouse clubs and Walmart (Walmart didn't sell a comparable battery that fit my car), AAA prices weren't much higher than other retail outlets. I think I saved about $35 buying a similar battery elsewhere, but without the on-location service, so not a consequential difference. The warehouse clubs were a little less but again I wouldn't have ended up paying "way more" with AAA.
sport

Post by sport »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm Made in the same factory does not mean the same thing as identical internals. The manufacturers can and do change the plate thickness and structure to trade performance, longevity, and cost based on the application. I do not know to what extent this is done for different retailers, but I'm fairly certain it happens. Also, an AGM battery is significantly different than a common valve regulated battery and should last longer, especially in more severe applications like engines with start/stop control.

That said, there is basically no technical comparative shopping information given to help buyers decide between batteries of the same type. Only different branding (eg - Diehard vs. Diehard Gold). Weight can be a hint, but is not a guarantee. If in doubt, I agree with getting a heavier battery, but you can have a heavier battery with worse starting performance, but more tolerance of cycling due to different internal construction.
When I worked for a battery company, we made "master batteries". These were the same for all customers except for the labels. The best way to determine starting performance is by the CCA (cold cranking amps) rating. This rating is proportional to the surface area of the plates. So, more plates and larger plates have more area and this higher CCA ratings. Of course, more plates and larger plates equate to more weight. Higher CCA batteries tend to last longer.

It is true that there are heavy batteries that would not have high CCA ratings. However, those are not sold for general automobile applications. Those would be "deep cycle" batteries used for things like electric golf cars or marine use.

It can be a mistake to think that longer warranties means a better battery. In some cases we made the same battery with different warranties if that is what the retailer wanted to sell.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm
jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:02 pm At this point most standard wet cell lead acid car batteries made in the US are produced by 2 manufactures (Johnson Controls and Exide). As a result the batteries for each type and size category for dozens of "brands" are manufactured on the same factory line with identical internals. Differences are primarily different color plastic cases and of course brand labeling.
Made in the same factory does not mean the same thing as identical internals. The manufacturers can and do change the plate thickness and structure to trade performance, longevity, and cost based on the application. I do not know to what extent this is done for different retailers, but I'm fairly certain it happens. Also, an AGM battery is significantly different than a common valve regulated battery and should last longer, especially in more severe applications like engines with start/stop control.

criticalmass wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 am Interesting because many Walmart models are exactly the same as Autozone, Advance, and Costco/Interstate, manufactured by Clarios (formerly JCI). Compare specs forv the same model with a different branding sticker.
criticalmass wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:57 pm Diehard Gold (Advance Auto Parts/Sears), Everlast (Walmart), Interstate (Costco and other stores), Champion (Pep Boys), Duralast (Autozone) with the same group size and CCA specs are the exact same battery models manufactured on the same Clarios factory line. The branding sticker is added after production.

The only differences are

C) Price!
Don't tell the retailers. They think they're selling different products!

Diehard Gold Group 24, 700 CCA
Everstart Maxx Group 24, 700 CCA

Far more important than the fact that not only the sticker, but also the physical cases are visibly different, is the fact that the Diehard battery has a listed weight of 4 pounds more than the Everstart.
The Diehard Gold battery in your linked photo is manufactured by Clarios.
The Maxx battery in the linked photo is not manufactured by Clarios. It may be Exide, but hard to see a clear view of the top.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

abner kravitz wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:35 am I use whatever AAA sells. They come to you to install, and I think the warranty is decent.

Same here. GREAT SERVICE right in your garage.
hudson

Post by hudson »

EDIT AUG 13 2021: I eliminated the 24F battery from consideration because they are too small; I added two 27F batteries to the list. The 27Fs are bolded.

I shopped batteries for a 2013 Tundra as follows:

AutoZone Duralast 27F 810 CCA $200
O'Reilly Super Start Extreme 24F 725 CCA] $180
O'Reilly Super Start Premium 27F 710 CCA $160
Walmart EverStart Maxx 24F 750 CCA $88
Walmart...no 27F batteries
Advance Diehard Gold 24F 750 CCA $180
Advance Diehard Silver 27F 710 CCA $160
EDIT: added one more 27F NAPA Legend Pro 27F 710 CCA $150
Interstate Best 27F 710 CCA $165

If Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is the key number, I'll go with AutoZone.

The price of the Walmart battery along with the high CCA is very attractive.

I am currently running a 50 month old AutoZone Duralast 27F with 710 CCA. I'll likely replace it between now and 60 months.
Last edited by hudson on Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Bought a Diehard Platinum AGM for a street rod in 2012... never been on a trickle charger and even has been run down once due to lights being left on. I still have the same battery in that car and has never been in climate controlled garage...maybe 500 miles a year use though. Has been living up to its name I suppose.
sport

Post by sport »

hudson wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:54 pm I shopped batteries for a 2013 Tundra as follows:

O'Reilly Super Start Extreme 24F 725 CCA $180

I am currently running a 50 month old AutoZone Duralast 27F with 710 CCA. I'll likely replace it between now and 60 months.
Comparing a 27F with a 24F is an "apples and oranges" situation. The 27F is physically larger and therefore has room for more plates. This is reflected in the higher CCA. Most cars do not have enough space for a 27F. However, since your vehicle is a truck, a 27F is probably the recommended size and will fit the hold-down better. I would not go with the smaller 24F, although it would probably work for you.
S4C5

Post by S4C5 »

Walmart exide. Very cheap and very high CCA and reserve capacity. I put one in my corvette because the advance auto gold wasn’t cutting it. Solved a lot of electrical problems.
hudson

Post by hudson »

sport wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:49 pm
hudson wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:54 pm I shopped batteries for a 2013 Tundra as follows:

Comparing a 27F with a 24F is an "apples and oranges" situation. The 27F is physically larger and therefore has room for more plates. This is reflected in the higher CCA. Most cars do not have enough space for a 27F. However, since your vehicle is a truck, a 27F is probably the recommended size and will fit the hold-down better. I would not go with the smaller 24F, although it would probably work for you.
Thanks sport!
hudson

Post by hudson »

sport wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:49 pm

Useful information! As you said a 24F is noticeably smaller as I have one in another vehicle.
The battery box for the Tundra looks like it's made for the 27F as it fits like a glove. A size 31 would be too big; I could probably make it fit by setting it on top of the lip of the battery box and by getting longer hold downs. I'll pass on the 31 because I don't feel like experimenting.

Bottom Line: The 27F is the best choice for my 2013 Tundra.
I'll re-look at the other 3 stores for their highest CCA 27F batteries.
sport

Post by sport »

When you look around, you may find Group 27 batteries in addition to Group 27F. They are not interchangeable. There are two differences:
1. The "F" stands for "flange". There is a flange at each end for use with a bottom hold-down.
2. The polarity is reversed. Your cables might not reach the reversed terminals.
hudson

Post by hudson »

sport wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:29 pm When you look around, you may find Group 27 batteries in addition to Group 27F. They are not interchangeable. There are two differences:
1. The "F" stands for "flange". There is a flange at each end for use with a bottom hold-down.
2. The polarity is reversed. Your cables might not reach the reversed terminals.
Thanks again! Useful info.
I think that I had that exact problem years ago....maybe with a used battery? I did some kind of unprofessional work-around.