Home Office Speaker Upgrade for multiple sources

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stan1

Home Office Speaker Upgrade for multiple sources

Post by stan1 »

I'd like to upgrade the speakers in my home office.

Ideally one set of speakers would support:
1) Work PC laptop with USB-A and 3.5mm jack (Bluetooth disabled by policy, no software can be loaded). USB mic/camera used on this computer only.
2) Personal Mac with available USB-A or Bluetooth (no available USB-C connections right now)
3) Personal PC with available bluetooth (too far from speakers for USB-A, no USB-C ports)
4) iPhone with bluetooth

Of course only one of the four sources active at a time, but very easy to switch.

Also:
- Decent sound quality for music as well as video calls
- Avoid complexity - ideally one click to select the source with no cabling changes required
- No separate subwoofer
- Price: Up to say $300-400 if needed? I am not really an audiophile but $40 bar speaker and the various built in speakers are not cutting it

Any ideas on configuration or specific products that could support this easily?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Home Office Speaker Upgrade for multiple sources

Post by LadyGeek »

stan1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:31 pm 1) Work PC laptop with USB-A and 3.5mm jack (Bluetooth disabled by policy, no software can be loaded). USB mic/camera used on this computer only.
Did you know they make USB to Bluetooth adapters? Google "usb to bluetooth adapter". I haven't used one myself, but that would allow all 4 of your devices to work with one set of speakers.

Before you buy, check if the adapter needs a driver to be installed. If so, it might not be allowed to be installed on your work PC. It wouldn't hurt to ask them about it first.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
stan1

Post by stan1 »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:31 pm Did you know they make USB to Bluetooth adapters? Google "usb to bluetooth adapter". I haven't used one myself, but that would allow all 4 of your devices to work with one set of speakers.

Before you buy, check if the adapter needs a driver to be installed. An adapter connection / driver install to your work PC might need approval by company's IT department.
Great idea, the answer would be not just "no" but laughter at me for even asking since the guy I'd be asking is my former boss. Bluetooth adapter definitely not allowed nor is a non-standard driver install.

Perhaps the addition of a USB source makes this hard?
Is there a recommendation for a "small bookshelf sized" bluetooth speaker set that the other 3 devices could connect to?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I don't think there's anything that can handle all 4 devices without adapters. I think the LS50 Wireless (original not II) could do this:
Mac to USB-B input
Work PC to analog input
Personal PC to optical input via Bluetooth adapter
iPhone to Bluetooth

That's a very pricey solution though!

ETA: Monoprice's much more affordable Monolith MM-5R also look to have enough inputs that you could hook the 4 up, but again, adapters required. Basically you need to look for a speaker that has at least 4 inputs, including Bluetooth.
Silversides

Post by Silversides »

I like my Kanto YU-4 powered speakers and use them with multiple sources without hassle.

Aux, RCA, optical and Bluetooth built in. Sound great on Kanto stands, which angle and isolate them from the desk.

https://www.kantoaudio.com/powered-speakers/yu4/
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I got these for music loving DS while he was in college. He loved the quality and versatility. I never listened to them, but I trust his evaluation. Not certain if they meet your requirements, but I think they probably do.

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-S2000pro ... B0725GZQFZ
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

stan1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:31 pm I'd like to upgrade the speakers in my home office.

Ideally one set of speakers would support:
1) Work PC laptop with USB-A and 3.5mm jack (Bluetooth disabled by policy, no software can be loaded). USB mic/camera used on this computer only.
2) Personal Mac with available USB-A or Bluetooth (no available USB-C connections right now)
3) Personal PC with available bluetooth (too far from speakers for USB-A, no USB-C ports)
4) iPhone with bluetooth

Of course only one of the four sources active at a time, but very easy to switch.

Also:
- Decent sound quality for music as well as video calls
- Avoid complexity - ideally one click to select the source with no cabling changes required
- No separate subwoofer
- Price: Up to say $300-400 if needed? I am not really an audiophile but $40 bar speaker and the various built in speakers are not cutting it

Any ideas on configuration or specific products that could support this easily?
Get a pair (or two) of Sonos One speakers. Use Airplay to send music to them and use the app to send music around the house. Works with YouTube music, Spotify, etc etc.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

I highly recommend the Vanatoo Transparent Zero's... https://vanatoo.com/shop/speakers/transparent-zero/

They provide true audiophile sound, have a nice remote, and offer a variety of inputs, including auto-input selection...
-Bluetooth with aptX for wireless connection
-USB audio up to 48K at 16 bits
-Toslink optical up to 96K at 24 bits
-3.5mm (1/8″) analog input, ADC sampled at 48K at 24 bits

Alone, on a desktop, they can be angled upward, or placed perpendicular on a shelf. In my case, I paired them with these desktop stands, for even more flexibility... https://smile.amazon.com/Stageek-Alumin ... ast_sto_dp
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Thanks all, this gives me a few options especially the Vanatoo which appears to have the USB connection I'm looking for. Much appreciated for that.
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

USB and Bluetooth connectivity. Check out the full Audioengine lineup.

For under $300: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_772A2PWBL ... l?tp=72535
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

OP, just wondering what speakers you finally decided on, and how they worked out (assuming they're not backordered, like many other electronics).
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
stan1

Post by stan1 »

sleepysurf wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:16 am OP, just wondering what speakers you finally decided on, and how they worked out (assuming they're not backordered, like many other electronics).
I bought the Vanatoo Transparent Zeros which you recommended. They are working the way I need them to (with multiple devices connected to them). They arrived within 2 days from Amazon.

The Sonos solution might be good for whole house, but it's not what I needed in my home office configuration where I needed some wired connections as well as Bluetooth.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Thanks for the update. Enjoy the music!