[Need a product to deter chickens from being in flower beds]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

[Need a product to deter chickens from being in flower beds]

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

[edited title for clarity - moderator prudent]

We have a chicken that is coming into our flower beds and stirring them up, leaving dirt and mulch on the sidewalks.

The chicken roosts next door, the neighbor likes her, Henrietta is her name. She is very friendly, comes right up and clucks.

Now the chicken doesn't bother me, but DW is sore POed having to constantly sweep the sidewalks.

Does anyone know of a product that could be sprayed in the flower beds that would not be toxic to man nor beast nor plant, yet disliked by a chicken?

And no, she will not be Sunday dinner! :shock:

Thank you!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Chicken be gone!

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

No but I thought this was going to be another "Should I lump sum?" type question. My friend used to have one and it would fly over the fence into the neighbor's yard.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Motion activated sprinkler?
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

My chickens hate plastic snakes but I think that would only be temporary and could make it start squawking loudly if it gets scared. Fencing or plants they cant dig up is the only thing that seems to work. A motion activated sprinkler could work too. Chickens will constantly test boundaries for any weakness.

Is this a wild/feral hen?
Cycle

Re: [Need a product to deter chickens from being in flower beds]

Post by Cycle »

Would a simple clear fishing line about 1ft off ground work? Ive seen this done to keep geese away.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I really preferred the original thread title. Much more evocative.

As to the topic, I have no advice. I’m just busy laughing.
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

MrBobcat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:29 pm Motion activated sprinkler?
Maybe I will try a super-soaker water gun.

We are on strict water use times.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:37 pm My chickens hate plastic snakes but I think that would only be temporary and could make it start squawking loudly if it gets sc :moneybag ared. Fencing or plants they cant dig up is the only thing that seems to work. A motion activated sprinkler could work too. Chickens will constantly test boundaries for any weakness.

Is this a wild/feral hen?
Definitely not wild, she is very friendly. I believe she ran away from home.

So far as a plastic snake, DW would probably have a real big NO WAY on that. She is dearhly afraid of snakes, alive, dead, artificial.

I have a huge black snake living with a gopher turtle under our deck, but he never comes into the front yard, as there are woods behind us where he probably hunts.

Broken Man 1999
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

This is a riddle, right?

I'm going with "Chicken wire".
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Cycle wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 pm Would a simple clear fishing line about 1ft off ground work? Ive seen this done to keep geese away.
I don't think so, as she jumps over perimeter plants with ease to do her scratching around.

Broken Man 1999
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I was hoping MrBobcat was going to suggest a bobcat. I came across a bobcat the other day and there were no chickens anywhere around to be seen. Here's a photo I took of the bobcat.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

There is something you can put in flower beds that is supposed to deter cats. Looks like little plastic flexible prongs sticking up in the air. I think the whole point is to stop an animal from clawing at the ground. Might work for chickens as well. Don't know what it is called, but remember seeing it in a gardening supply catalog.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

We had a neighbor who brought home a dozen chickens after too much happy hour. We're in the woods full of hawks, owls and foxes. I'm ignoring the occasional bear and coyote, which we also do have.

One chicken wandered into my yard. An orange streak came across the lawn like an alien ship, and when the commotion stopped, mama fox was bringing dinner back to the den.

The neighbor tells us that indeed, a chicken wire fence kept the chickens in. Without a top, it didn't keep a hawk out, who easily airlifted a chicken over and out.

After 3 weeks, a dozen became none. I guess anything that encourages animals of prey could work.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

surfstar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:06 pm This is a riddle, right?

I'm going with "Chicken wire".
I would be OK using chicken wire in the back yard, but not the front right by our front door.

Broken Man 1999
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

retiredjg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 pm There is something you can put in flower beds that is supposed to deter cats. Looks like little plastic flexible prongs sticking up in the air. I think the whole point is to stop an animal from clawing at the ground. Might work for chickens as well. Don't know what it is called, but remember seeing it in a gardening supply catalog.
Chicken wire placed on the ground could deter them. We used to do that on areas of grass where my chickens were digging up too much. The chicken wire will still allow the chicken to be an automatic weeder too.
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:57 pm I really preferred the original thread title. Much more evocative.

As to the topic, I have no advice. I’m just busy laughing.
Well, my original title was going to be "DW doesn't like my new chick!"

Broken Man 1999
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:12 pm We had a neighbor who brought home a dozen chickens after too much happy hour. We're in the woods full of hawks, owls and foxes. I'm ignoring the occasional bear and coyote, which we also do have.

One chicken wandered into my yard. An orange streak came across the lawn like an alien ship, and when the commotion stopped, mama fox was bringing dinner back to the den.

The neighbor tells us that indeed, a chicken wire fence kept the chickens in. Without a top, it didn't keep a hawk out, who easily airlifted a chicken over and out.

After 3 weeks, a dozen became none. I guess anything that encourages animals of prey could work.
Nope! I won't do that to Henrietta!

Broken Man 1999
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:16 pm Chicken wire placed on the ground could deter them. We used to do that on areas of grass where my chickens were digging up too much. The chicken wire will still allow the chicken to be an automatic weeder too.
That makes sense to me. And probably cheaper.
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

I think I will buy a super-soaker gun.

I can always use it to get DW when she isn't working hard enough in the yard.

Good yard help is hard to find around here.

Broken Man 1999
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Any way to rig a (plastic or ???) outline of a hawk in flight a la a scarecrow in the garden? Or even inconspicuously nearby so that it sometimes casts a shadow over the garden?

Tossing chicken feed into a neighbor's yard? :wink:

Good luck with the Super Soaker!
PapaSmushFace

Post by PapaSmushFace »

Good luck with the water gun. I used to have a small backyard flock (a raccoon eventually changed that). For whatever reason they preferred coming onto the patio to relieve themselves. I took a day to try to train them by spraying them with water whenever they came onto the patio. It only made them afraid of me and the hose. But they were right back relieving themselves when I wasn’t around.

Somebody provided the solution above, the automatic sprinkler. That was what my buddy used to solve his same problem. I understand the water shortage, though. Garden fencing around the patio did end up working for me but it was a pain getting in and out of the yard.

You also could try filling a kiddie pool with dirt and possible entice her to scratch there. It might be an eye soar. And against HOA rules if those exist.
mkc

Post by mkc »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:16 pm

Chicken wire placed on the ground could deter them. We used to do that on areas of grass where my chickens were digging up too much. The chicken wire will still allow the chicken to be an automatic weeder too.
We have seen this method used to deter opossums and skunks from digging in flower beds.
Enjoy11

Post by Enjoy11 »

I would go to a sporting goods or farm supply and buy fox or coyote urine. Pour it along the border of the area you don’t want the chicken.

Disclaimer; I’m no chicken expert. I’m simply presuming that a chicken can smell the urine of a predator and might back away from it.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Here is the product I was thinking about above....https://www.gardeners.com/buy/scat-mat- ... 92448.html
celia

Post by celia »

Home Depot has/had fake plastic owls you can fill with sand, water, or not. You could put one on the roof so chicken sees it and one on the ground. They keep the birds away at our house and chickens are birds, I’m told.

No wonder we never have bird nests here. :oops:

You could also cover the plants with netting (like in the vegetable garden).
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:09 pm I was hoping MrBobcat was going to suggest a bobcat. I came across a bobcat the other day and there were no chickens anywhere around to be seen. Here's a photo I took of the bobcat.
I fell for this hook, line and sinker. Well done!
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Colorado13 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:05 pm
livesoft wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:09 pm I was hoping MrBobcat was going to suggest a bobcat. I came across a bobcat the other day and there were no chickens anywhere around to be seen. Here's a photo I took of the bobcat.
Me too. Big laugh from that one. :D
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

retiredjg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm
Wrong bobcat - this one works much better Image
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Enjoy11 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:47 pm I would go to a sporting goods or farm supply and buy fox or coyote urine. Pour it along the border of the area you don’t want the chicken.

Disclaimer; I’m no chicken expert. I’m simply presuming that a chicken can smell the urine of a predator and might back away from it.
I had actually thought about that.

But, even if it would work, I don't think I would want to use that right outside my front door. I assume it could be pretty rank smelling.

Broken Man 1999
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

surfstar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:46 pm
retiredjg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm
Wrong bobcat - this one works much better Image
Ah, totally missed the photo. I didn't click on it because I am familiar with bobcats. I lived near woods while growing up, and would occasionally see one in the yard.

Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

Place a photo of Colonel Sanders in the flower bed.
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Sadly Henrietta was attacked while roosting at the neighbors early this morning, apparently by a fox, a bobcat, or a coyote. Only a few feathers were left in the neighbor's yard. Our back yards butt up against a small wooded area. It might have been a great horned owl, as there is a pair in the woods, as well. I have seen them when I am out on our deck at night.

RIP, Henrietta!

Broken Man 1999
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Type into Google : "deterrents against chicken in flower bed".
Enjoy11

Post by Enjoy11 »

That’s too bad, I’m sorry to hear it. Henrietta sounded like a cool chicken.

Post by 000 »

She was a feral chicken? Your neighbor didn't own her?
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

Sorry to hear about Henrietta.

Hens don’t have a real sense of smell (or taste), so predator urine would not have worked.

Our backyard hens were persistent enough to get past every measure we tried to keep them off the deck. (We have water use restrictions so no automatic sprinklers). Their curiosity is part of what makes them so endearing.

Chicken wire on the ground was a great suggestion.

RIP Henrietta