Light for Zoom Calls

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Horton

Light for Zoom Calls

Post by Horton »

Looking for an inexpensive background light for Zoom work calls/meetings. Any suggestions?
80% global equities (faith-based tilt) + 20% TIPS (LDI)
Jack FFR1846

Re: Light for Zoom Calls

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Background light or light to light you up? I use a cheapo desk lamp and move it to light me up using the pre-view. I don't use Zoom, but do use teams and webex all the time. My background is looking southeast out my windows at the woods through floor to ceiling windows. No lighting required.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
2cents2

Post by 2cents2 »

Maybe you are looking for a ring light?

Here is an article:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/ma ... ng-lights/
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

You want inexpensive? Do what I did and head over to your local hardware store for a "clamp light"--one of those work lights that's really nothing more than a socket with a cage (or sometimes a reflecting bowl) around it and big fat clamp on the back. Doesn't even have an on/off switch... put in a bulb, plug it in, and you're set.

The one I got was a low-end $7 job, but you can get fancier if you move up to the $10-20 range.

This does assume that you've got a place to clamp it to. I use a bookshelf. Works great! (And, of course, I can also use it as an actual work light if I need to.)
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

This isn't for quality work or anything like that, but just to not-look-totally-dark-and-murky I really like the little not-excessively-bright LED desk lamp I bought for $20. Powered by USB and of they include a suitable AC adapter.

As the blurb says, ten brightnesses and three color temperatures (cool-warm-white). I have it set for "warm" and not very bright, and I have it clamped to a shelf and point it toward the side of my face just to give... it is too hifalutin to say "modeling" and "definition." So the room is visible in the background but my face is brighter and distinct from the room.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
Horton

Post by Horton »

Thanks all! I will give the desk lamp a try.
80% global equities (faith-based tilt) + 20% TIPS (LDI)
doubletissue

Post by doubletissue »

I got two of these lamps, love the adjustable color and the diffuse light. They also work great as lights for a makeshift light-box

https://www.costco.com/taotronics-metal ... 26650.html
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Horton wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm Thanks all! I will give the desk lamp a try.
You can try, but a point source like that is usually what people are looking to avoid. It will cast strong shadows across your face and give you a "video conferencing from the basement" appearance.

You need soft, diffused light from multiple angles. A ring light is what most people seem to use for Instagram, zoom, etc in lieu of a larger, more expensive solution.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Edit - Somehow I missed the stated use was as a background light. I'm keeping my original post up in case any of it is useful

Just about anything can be used as a background light, but pay attention to the angle and the brightness when you position it and how that affects the shadows, and how the room lighting appears on camera. You generally want the background nearly as bright as the lighting on yourself, so the space does not appear dark, but so that you stand out just a little bit.

Move the light around to see what looks most natural, and experiment with the lighting directly on yourself, as well.

--
Original post

I have and like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/VILTROX-L116T-33 ... 295&sr=8-5

(I don't video conference, but I got it for occassional photography use, and the rest of the time, it is mounted above my work bench for helping with detail tasks like soldering).

It is high CRI, which helps skin tones appear more natural and healthy. The brightness is adjustable so I can blend it in with any ambient lighting. The color temperature is also adjustable, so I can get a better match with either the room lighting, or any window lighting that might be present.

The illuminated surface is moderately large, so from a few feet away, it casts moderately diffuse shadows. Frankly, if I really cared, I'd get an even bigger light, or build myself a softbox, but this is a good start.

It mounts by 1/4-20 thread, so you can use tripods, flash stands, or some gooseneck flexible stands to mount it.