Best way to learn golf

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pochax

Best way to learn golf

Post by pochax »

although i've dabbled on the golf course with friends, i have never taken the sport too seriously. i think i am now ready and willing to take some lessons along with my teenage son. does anyone here have any good experiences with where and/or how to take lessons? there seem to be so many teachers out there through Golf Stores (like PGA Superstore), local public courses (I don't belong to any country clubs), and specific retail outlets like Golftec. i think i will mostly need to start from scratch and get rid of bad habits i picked up from watching Youtube and stuff like that. Appreciate any advice. also keep in mind my teenage son so i guess i need to be open to the fact that he may not learn the same way as i would.
jebmke

Re: Best way to learn golf

Post by jebmke »

Our public course has a pro on staff and one or two contract golf instructors who are available depending on demand. Typically they are retired pros from a CC or other course in the wider geographic area.

I used that to re-learn the game; have since quit playing due to arthritis in hands but it was helpful.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

I used to play golf for fun and spent more than my fair share on the driving range.

I was reading some reports on Collin Morikawa the current Open champion.
His coach doesn't believe in spending as much time on the driving range as actually on the course playing.
Of course, that can annoy the folks playing in the group behind you when you are taking 10 strokes to get to the green. :happy
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I am an avid player. Go to your local course, they'll likely have a teaching pro on staff.

For beginner players, you can look at group lessons, which will be cheaper but will likely sacrifice some of the one-on-one time. Though, if you're really just working on learning fundamentals, this may be a good starting point. Depending on location, you're looking at $100+/hr for individual lessons (YMMV, of course).
fatherjames

Post by fatherjames »

I have taken lessons from a few different instructors. The best was Larry who was retired in his 60's and worked at our really nice public course. He was just a really good golfer who was never a pro. His goal was to get you out on the course with a smaller controllable swing with good contact. Also the basics of a good short game.

The worst was a retired pro golfer who tried to contort my body into a pretzel to get me into the right position for a good golf swing. I am a pretty athletic 50 year old but my lack of flexibility prevented me from being able to do what this guy wanted me to do.

Go find yourself a "Larry" and have fun.

James
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Grip, stance and lots of practice.

There are 100 things you can do wrong in your golf swing.

If you get the grip, stance and repeatability/simplicity down, then you can work on consistency.

Don't spend a bunch on fancy clubs until farther down the road.

Post by 123 »

While you can likely get individual and group lessons through a pro shop at a local course there are other ways to learn.

Local city recreation departments often have inexpensive golf classes. A couple hours a week for 4 to 10 weeks for $100 - $200. Likely a very relaxed and non-competitive atmosphere. Everyone will be a beginner.

You could take a golf class at a local (community) college. This will be more structured. Your classmates will be some beginners but some who have some level of skill. Class might include some "homework" of playing on an actual course as practice, often done with classmates. Class schedule depends on academic periods but likely 8 - 12 weeks over 3 - 4 months. Cost $200 - $1,000 depending on college.

You could go to a dedicated adult "Golf Camp" for an intensive group learning experience. Easily cost $2.5K - $10K plus travel and accommodations.

If it were me learning again I would go the local community college class route. However what's practical depends on the climate and weather in your area.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 am I used to play golf for fun and spent more than my fair share on the driving range.

His coach doesn't believe in spending as much time on the driving range as actually on the course playing.
Of course, that can annoy the folks playing in the group behind you when you are taking 10 strokes to get to the green. :happy
Like someone else in this thread, I played a lot in the past, but quit mainly because of wear-and-tear arthritis and decreased flexibility. It wasn't fun for me anymore because I lost so much distance.

Anyway, trips to the driving range never improved my game very much. It might be a good place for a beginner to learn swing basics, but the driving range isn't like the course. The main difference is that at the range you are usually hitting from a fairly level area.

However, I found I could increase the value of going to the range by just dropping my balls in a grassy area - if the range had a grassy area - and hitting them without improving my lie. I didn't spend a lot of time hitting off the rubber tee, or off the artificial turf.

I improved my game quite a bit by reading instructional books and watching videos. Maybe you should get a beginner-level book or video. There are some really poor ones though. Try to steer clear of ones that seem gimmicky; for example, books promising to teach you an easy couple of steps that will make you play like a pro.

But in the end, the best way to learn is by playing, and most people have to play a lot to get relatively good. I usually played nine holes once a week. That wasn't really enough fo me to get past the slightly-above average level.

I never took lessons from a pro, but many swear by them.

It's a great game for people that like a challenge. I don't think it's easy for anyone.
LFrugal

Post by LFrugal »

Try "Get Golf Ready" group lessons. It's offered at courses all over the US, is inexpensive, and gives you the basics on getting into the game. I took their lessons a couple of years ago when I wanted to get back into golf after a 20-year hiatus. It was just what I needed to rediscover the game without a huge financial commitment to private lessons. As I recall, it was 5 or 6 lessons on various facets of the game for about $99. I believe it's a PGA program. More here: http://getgolfready.com
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

If you have a Golf Galaxy near you, they offer relatively inexpensive lessons with PGA pros, especially if you buy a lesson package when it's on sale. In addition obtaining metrics about your performance through their Trackman launch monitors, lessons are videotaped and emailed to you for you later review. A limitation of indoor lessons like these is that you always have a perfect lie from a mat, so lessons coupled with time at a outdoor short game area will help you develop skills.
Beach

Post by Beach »

The greatest golf book ever written, find a copy and do exactly what Ben Hogan says. This will give you the basics.

https://www.amazon.com/Ben-Hogans-Five- ... UTF8&psc=1

Then, go and take some lessons from some local pros in person. Find one you like, and keep going to him. Eventually, you will be able to tell what you are doing wrong and then be able to correct your own mistakes.

I was a scratch golfer in high school and haven't had a lesson since then. This book, along with other mentors when I was a junior allow me to go out and break 80 even though I play only about once a month now.
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

Beach wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:32 pm The greatest golf book ever written, find a copy and do exactly what Ben Hogan says. This will give you the basics.

The Hogan book is better than any golf lesson as far as value goes. The book teaches the full swing, which is employed in about half your shots. You still need to pitch, chip, and putt the ball on practically every hole you play. The driving range is typically not set up for these shots.

Even with good hand-eye coordination and basic athleticism skills, golf is VERY difficult to master. That said, if you can hit a few good shots every round, you will have fun. I'd play with a few men or women who know the basics and let them help you improve. I agree with others who mentioned that lessons from professionals get too technical, the teaching pro often tries to build a "touring pro's swing" -- which likely won't happen.
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

I'm just getting back into golf after a long break. My suggestion is to figure out what you want to get out of it. Do you really want to be a good golfer, do you just want to get outside when it's nice and enjoy the weather, or do you just want to spend quality time with your son? How you approach could be different.
I say this because I live on a course, and I see all kinds of golfers. The play EVERY morning retired type, fair weather players, play no matter what (rain, snow, 96 degree humid days like today), play 3-4 days a week and take it seriously, the spend a lot of time pitching and putting working on the short game, the play 36 holes type, the golf is mostly a drinking game type, the REALLY bad, the quietly good, the really bad but don't care and have fun regardless, the really bad, but get really mad about it and curse very loudly. Personally, I'm a play 3-4 holes after putting my kid to bed player. I'm bad, but getting better, and enjoy hitting a couple of decent shots, knowing that a lot of my shots will be not great or just bad. To put it in perspective, I have spent exponentially more time fishing the golf course lake than playing golf.

Anyway, if you just want to have fun, I'd just go play a few courses and see how it goes. Explore the courses and enjoy the experience. If you want to get good, maybe work on lessons first, but that also sounds like work to me.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Bookmarking as in the same boat.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

LFrugal wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:57 am Try "Get Golf Ready" group lessons. It's offered at courses all over the US, is inexpensive, and gives you the basics on getting into the game. I took their lessons a couple of years ago when I wanted to get back into golf after a 20-year hiatus. It was just what I needed to rediscover the game without a huge financial commitment to private lessons. As I recall, it was 5 or 6 lessons on various facets of the game for about $99. I believe it's a PGA program. More here: http://getgolfready.com
This is a great suggestion. The pro at our local public course offers these “Get Golf Ready” sessions.
The price is reasonable, and you can learn from the other folks in the class too.
Have fun
golf101

Post by golf101 »

I would also recommend finding a teaching pro at your course. They can help with the basics of a swing, etc. Though I would say another thing new golfers should focus on is golf etiquette. I don't mean all the annoying stuff, but the ready golf stuff. It doesn't matter if you're a scratch golfer or 30 handicap, playing at a good pace is important.

I also spent a lot of time at a Par 3 near my house, that's where I took lessons. Hitting a driver is fun, but even on a normal golf course more of your shots are irons, wedges, putting, etc. I found that course much less stressful than going out to a normal course when I was learning.

Just as a warning, it gets addicting! As I've continued to see improvement, I want to play every day to keep getting better. I also played with my dad growing up and it's some of my best childhood memories.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I would look at lessons from a local pro, either at a course or range. Budget will make a difference in that the best instructors have probably invested in technology such as Trackman, and thus charge higher prices. Once your technique is in the right ballpark, correct practice habits will make a huge difference and I would definitely recommend reading The Practice Manual by Adam Young. If reading isn't your thing, him and Jon Sherman (of a website called practical-golf.com) have a great podcast called The Sweet Spot. The information in there is invaluable and should really help you as you get past learning the fundamentals and work more on skill development and knowledge about the game.
BiggerFishToFI

Post by BiggerFishToFI »

I disagree with most here regarding group lessons etc. There is a TON of bad information out there and bad habits learned early are hard to get rid of.

Get a lesson with a certified PGA class A professional. Focus on the setup - stance, posture, grip, ball position and backswing. Take video of yourself when on the range / get in front of a mirror in your garage and really grind to get those as close to perfect as you can. If you get to the top of the backswing with good fundamentals you're 99% of the way to great ball striking.

Spend at least 50% of your practice time on shots 50 yards and in and putting. Practice with a purpose and don't mindlessly hit balls / putt around. For example, start your practice session with a goal to make 10 3' putts in a row. Don't move on to anything else in your routine until you have completed that task. This will help emulate the pressure you feel on the course when you have a 3' putt for par (you dont want to miss that 10th putt and have to start over again). Then hit 10 putts in a row from 20' within a 3' circle, then 30' etc. When the metrics are too easy challenge yourself (ie 25 4' putts in a row, 20 in a 3' circle from 30' etc.) That is how you get better at golf.

Check out "Athletic Motion Golf" on youtube - they have generally good information IMO.

Good luck! This game is extremely hard but also extremely rewarding. Don't forget to have fun, and when you hit a terrible shot, forget about it and focus on the next shot/hole. Even the pros hit terrible shots - more often than you are lead to believe watching the top of the leaderboard on Sunday afternoon.
tiger74

Post by tiger74 »

+1 BiggerFishToFI

So true, and thanks for the Athletic Motion Golf reference.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

I'm not that good at golf.

But I see a lot of people all tense trying to force the muscles to do what they were told in some lesson.

Learn some grip and stance stuff and take lessons, but don't forget to be loose.

Sometimes a heavy club forces a smooth motion.
Mctavish83

Post by Mctavish83 »

Agree with the others to get a lesson or two, but also checkout golfsidekick on you tube. Basic course management and getting decent with just a couple of clubs can give you plenty of enjoyable stress free golf. Check out the breaking 100 series he has. I started 3 years ago with a 29hcp - now down to 12 with just playing a lot with a driver 5wood, 6i, 8i, pw, sw putter and practicing chipping and putting loads.

Wishing you many enjoyable hours planting feathers and growing birdies :-)
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

fatherjames wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:23 am I have taken lessons from a few different instructors. The best was Larry who was retired in his 60's and worked at our really nice public course. He was just a really good golfer who was never a pro. His goal was to get you out on the course with a smaller controllable swing with good contact. Also the basics of a good short game.

The worst was a retired pro golfer who tried to contort my body into a pretzel to get me into the right position for a good golf swing. I am a pretty athletic 50 year old but my lack of flexibility prevented me from being able to do what this guy wanted me to do.

Go find yourself a "Larry" and have fun.

James
This is so true. Just because you are good at something doesn’t mean you’ll make a great teacher. I know some very smart people with advanced degrees that are horrible teachers. In my experience it is often those who are talented to whom things came naturally get frustrated when others don’t pick things up as quickly or have to work on it. Coaching, teaching, it is a gift.
Scooter17

Post by Scooter17 »

Just play. Forget the range and if they have patience play with better players, you will learn a ton.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

pochax wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:32 am although i've dabbled on the golf course with friends, i have never taken the sport too seriously. i think i am now ready and willing to take some lessons along with my teenage son. does anyone here have any good experiences with where and/or how to take lessons? there seem to be so many teachers out there through Golf Stores (like PGA Superstore), local public courses (I don't belong to any country clubs), and specific retail outlets like Golftec. i think i will mostly need to start from scratch and get rid of bad habits i picked up from watching Youtube and stuff like that. Appreciate any advice. also keep in mind my teenage son so i guess i need to be open to the fact that he may not learn the same way as i would.
I am learning golf too. Im a busy professional but am fully addicted to the game as it helps destress.

1. You get what u pay for. Golf is an expensive sport and it attracts people w money. If u want crap lessons u can pay low rates. But good lessons require money. Expect quality from a pga pro but you may need to try them out. Honestly, I spent a lot of time finding the right one.

Figure out what you want-consistent good striking to be a low scorer or just enough so you can be a weekend golfer? You should be good enough with about 5 lessons to become a weekend high handicap golfer with weekly practice and weekly lessons plus 6 mo of consistent play.

If you want to achieve low handicap and never played before:
2. Create a long term plan w a good pro. It may take years and heavy investment. Work on all aspects at first and then slowly hone your skills. Consider a basic golf book like the dw series for golf learning + golf pass videos. I find this helpful. Practice daily. With consistent DAILY practice for 30 minutes or so w a pga pro (weekly lessons) and golfpass vids to help me learn some nuances and lessons for past several years I am now a low handicapper.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:51 pm
Beach wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:32 pm The greatest golf book ever written, find a copy and do exactly what Ben Hogan says. This will give you the basics.

The Hogan book is better than any golf lesson as far as value goes. The book teaches the full swing, which is employed in about half your shots. You still need to pitch, chip, and putt the ball on practically every hole you play. The driving range is typically not set up for these shots.

Even with good hand-eye coordination and basic athleticism skills, golf is VERY difficult to master. That said, if you can hit a few good shots every round, you will have fun. I'd play with a few men or women who know the basics and let them help you improve. I agree with others who mentioned that lessons from professionals get too technical, the teaching pro often tries to build a "touring pro's swing" -- which likely won't happen.
Lol. This is a joke right? I have the book and its no where enough. You need someone to point out your flaws. If golf were this easy it wouldnt be a competitive paid game as well.

Then you didnt have a good pro teach you. I dont aim for a touring pro swing but he does help me hone my skills.
camden

Post by camden »

Play. Play. A lot. Then play some more.

Seriously, while not denigrating the value of lessons, you get better by the experience of actually playing and practicing. You will begin to develop the “memory” of the feel of a good shot and that of a bad one.

When I was an adolescent, I lived near a very poorly maintained, quasi abandoned golf course. I could go out there as much as I wanted and be essentially alone. I played every practically every day weather would permit from March through October for two years, without lesson one, and got a LOT better. Clearly, to become really good the right kind of professional instruction is probably essential, but I firmly believe that anyone can get good enough to enjoy the game just by playing a lot. Enjoy.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

The Little Red Book by Harvey Penick.

Twilight golf when nobody is around. Cheaper and you can practice without anyone pressuring you.

Lastly, once you start gaining confidence don't keep total score for the round in strokes. Use the stableford system....one point for a bogey...two for par...three for birdie.... this system is less discouraging than adding up all your strokes. Having a horrible hole can ruin your day using stroke play but in stableford it's not big deal.

Also, play small change bets against your playing partner. Making golf competitive can help focus you.
golfrgirl

Post by golfrgirl »

I haven’t seen mentioned what I feel is an important part of the game, and that is golf etiquette. It’s enjoyable when playing with an observant and considerate player. After all, it is a game of honor. :D
Here’s a few tips worth mentioning:
1. Don’t play out of turn. The player furthest from the pin plays first and so on for the next player, all the way through the putting surface.
2. Be courteous and don’t talk or make noise when someone else is hitting their shot.
3. Don’t step in the line of another player’s putt. (That’s the imaginary line from where their ball is on the green to the hole.)
4. Get to know the basic rules of golf. You’ll pick up the more intricate ones as you get experience or start playing competitively.
5. Try to control your emotions after hitting a bad shot. (Especially hard for me!) No one enjoys a club-thrower or profanity-laced outbursts in your group. We’re all out for a good time here, after all.
6. If playing for money or just for bragging rights with your buds, don’t cheat on your score. No one likes a cheater!

Those are just a few that come to mind. I’m sure others will have more to add. I’ve played golf for 35 years and the sport has brought me many years of joy. I hope you find the same joy in golf too!
tm3

Post by tm3 »

You want to learn golf? What, you don't have enough frustration in your life already? :happy

Learning as an adult is a real challenge; keep that in mind and be easy on yourself.

The more you read and observe, the more you will find that there is no universality to golf instruction. One teaching pro will tell you one thing, one will tell you another factoid about your swing that is almost the polar opposite. Some teaching pros are pretty good and have a stable of successful students to show for it, far more are clueless and are doing the gig because being able to play means you know how to teach, right?

If you live in Ontario, CAN just go see Shawn Clement. If not then consider this alternative, which for the last 3 years has me playing my best golf ever. Watch a YouTube or two of Manuel de la Torre, and if what he says clicks buy his book and DVD, Understanding the Golf Swing.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

golfrgirl wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:49 pm
Here’s a few tips worth mentioning:
1. Don’t play out of turn. The player furthest from the pin plays first and so on for the next player, all the way through the putting surface.
This tip is obsolete. Slow play has become such a problem that the rules of golf have been changed to allow one to play in what would have been out of turn, if one is ready and it is safe to proceed. See USGA reference here:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home- ... -golf.html

Click through to rule 6.4 from the bottom of the link.

You might think that waiting your turn is being courteous. It might be within your foursome. If it slows down your group, you are actually being discourteous to everyone on the course behind you.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

GOLF because all the other four letter words were used....I agree with many that have said if you can afford it take some very simple starter lessons with a teaching pro. You might avoid having to fix bad habits that you develop along the way. Also while a big drive is fun you will spend a lot of your time with your short to mid game so if there is a good par 3 course and pro around I might look at that as well. And play as much as you can...my wife plays 3-4 times a week in the summer and we have a golf simulator now in our our toy barn...that was her covid gift...She is a 6 handicap and is proof that a great short game works...I play 2-3 times a week and as often as I can sneak in even 9 holes in the fall during the season. A good golf game is a great asset in business and social as well. Work on your swearing in advance so you can sound like a seasoned pro...j/k....

Another suggestion is be sure your clubs fit and get advise from a good golf center or pro shop on what fits you and your swing. The best clubs in the world that are not fit correctly will not help you. Also..stance in important...get the right shoes as well...

Eric Straton in Animal House said it best...
"Dont think of it as work...the whole point is enjoy yourself..."
mkc

Post by mkc »

Lessons on a range only put bad swing thoughts and self-doubt in my head. Spending time on the range basically did the same thing. The only benefit I ever found on the range was when there were short targets for wedges - that was fun and educational.

Best lessons were with a PGA pro who taught them as "playing lessons" - several holes on an actual course. He taught course management, club selection, thinking about best-case miss, etc.

Best self-improvement was inexpensive muni or public course, walking, playing 9. Because we both walk, we both get exercise, play "ready golf", and 9 is very do-able.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Easy.

Beat head against wall. Repeat.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Trying to think of some of the most common mistakes that beginners make with their swing. Maybe 1) Taking their eye off the ball before hitting it. 2) Trying to hit many of their shots with all their strength. Most people have a lot more control using 70% to 80% of their max. 3) Bending their left elbow more than just a little bit if the person is right handed. (Right elbow if left handed.)
huck22

Post by huck22 »

As a former golf professional, my first suggestion would be to look around your area for courses offering the Op36 program for adults. It's without question the best method for learning the game (starting from the green and working back to the tee box). If that's not an option, it's worth spending the money to get quality lessons from a recognized teaching pro. The bad news is that you have a lot of work ahead of you to be able to truly enjoy the game. The good news is that you're working from a clean slate, so take advantage of legitimate teaching right now. It's hard to beat GolfTec as they use a golf simulator and sensors on your body to help you understand proper positioning. Good luck!
trufflepig

Post by trufflepig »

I strongly recommend finding a teaching pro at a local course that has access to a short-game area where they can teach pitch shots and chipping. If you can't find a recommended pro, take a single lesson from a few different pros and pick the one you feel most comfortable with. If money is no object, places like GolfTec do offer on-course/short-game instruction in addition to their in-store full-swing work on the simulator.

Commit to trusting and following their advice completely for at least 6 lessons and 6 months. DO NOT try to work on what they are teaching at the range and then use your comfortable swing on the course. You have to commit 100% to never swinging any other way (not even once) than what they are telling you. Overcoming your muscle memory is incredibly hard and this is vital to reprogramming it.

Make sure to include short-game work in your lessons. Most golfers I play with could reduce their scores more through proper short-game instruction than full-swing work. Read Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible.

Never compromise on the static components of the swing - grip, stance, setup. Practice with an alignment aid on the ground to ensure every shot starts with a proper setup. This is the easiest thing to fix once you know what a proper setup is - simply refuse to ever swing before you check your setup.

Accept and embrace that you will get worse before you get better and you will feel incredibly uncomfortable during the process.

Best of luck!
J295

Post by J295 »

Lifetime golfer. Age 62 and currently 4 handicap.

Post this question on Golfwrx. It’s a good community and you may get some insightful information. I think I’d search the existing threads there also.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 am I used to play golf for fun and spent more than my fair share on the driving range.

What a PGA Tour pro needs and what you need are likely to be vastly different. He doesn't need much range time cause he has already spent 20k hours on it:). You have not.

People like to talk about what you need to score well they like to talk about putting (i.e. it is relatively easy to become a person who 2 putts everything instead of 3+) and the short game. They are sort of right but they are also might be months in advance of where you are. But what what you need to do to play golf is to be able to get off the tee (say drive the ball 200 yards for the person playing 350 yard par 4s) well enough that you can find the ball and then have an iron shot (about 150 for our above mentioned guy) that sort of goes where you aim it. Until you then going out on the course is just frustrating.

A half dozen lessons with someone to help with grip and setup and large swing faults is good but a lot is just putting in the hours.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Watch Instructional Videos (YouTube)
Practice,
Find a Field
Buy a shag bag
Hit balls ,
At least 100 a day,
Keep a club around you at home
Swing it
Putt in the house into a glass
Practice.
There is no easy road,
Hard effort and endless practice
Enjoy :wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

2x/week lessons with a licensed legitimate PGA teaching professional including range time, short game, playing lessons. Minimum1-2 hours each private not group. Monthly coaching Andy tune ups 1-2x/month for every year thereafter. The better and more consistent your swing and course strategy the more you will enjoy the game without long term health damage.
Avoid helpful Harry, helpful anyone know it alls, group budget package lessons. Stick to what your PGA Pro has worked out for you long term much like a long term investment strategy taylored to “you”. Avoid swing tinkering.
Get clubs that fit “you”.
Stoically, stick to your own swing and game plan on course regardless of what others do. Guard the swing that you’re paying good money for. Guard your “feels”.
Keep practicing and playing consistently instead of starts and stops and half hearted efforts that are a wast of time n money.
Spend as much time on your short game inside of 20 yards and the putting green as you do on the range.
Spend over 50% of your range time on mid and short irons. And 50% of all that with your 4 wedges. The Pelz system is one of many good ones.
Get a carpet putting ball return gizmo and putt at home. Make it fun.
Spend 90% of your time doing vs reading about doing.

If you establish a solid swing groove that is repeatable and is spine friendly, (helps if it is not a mixed bag of self taught techniques unless one has natural athletic talent or plays tennis or baseball or other rotary sport), then you don't need to force a swing to play a wonderful round of golf. And, it will be a swing to last forever.
But, this is not written in stone, look at these swings; Jim Furyk, Charles Barkley. . . . . . :(

Play golf with your children, send them to your pga pro, get family group lessons. Start on par 3 courses.

Retired single digit hdcp.
j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

A lot depends on how good you want to get. Basically, playing a round, and counting all the strokes, is the test. Then you review the test and go practice, a lot, for the next test. If you want to get good you spend more time practicing than playing. If you want to have a bit more fun then play more than practice. If you are a diy-er like I am you can get away with few lessons and lots of practice alone. I became a scratch golfer, as a kid, with lots of practice/play. I only took a few lessons when I was really struggling. As an adult it's probably going to be really expensive to play, practice and take lessons to get really good.

Bottom line, more reps is better. More = one million.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

I have a 4 handicap—never had lesson. It may sound dumb, but you just need to find somewhere you can play a lot. That is, a course that is mostly deserted and cheap where you can play 20 or 30 or 40 balls on each hole without bothering anyone.

Just like gym rats or kids with a hoop at a park nearby make the best basketball players, finding something you can just camp on and hit a lot of balls will make you a great golfer—provided you focus on what works and what doesn’t.

Sometimes it isn’t easy to find such a setup. Rundown public courses and small private courses would be your best bet. Lots of par 3 courses out there too that might fit the bill. Finally, likely gonna need to play at odd hours, like mid afternoon or dusk to get that alone time.
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

At the min, read the USGA rule book and understand how to keep score accurately.

Record of your strokes and putts on each hole so you can see where you're losing strokes.

If you're shooting over 100, work on getting around the course and keeping the ball in play.

If you're in the 80's and 90's, focus on your short game.

In the single digit handicap requires lot's of practice at the range and especially on the putting green.

Your foursome also has an weird influence on how you play.

Don't worry too much about what your swing looks like (Jim Furyk and Lee Trevino comes to mind), so if your pro is too fussy about your swing, find a new pro.

Obviously, make sure your clubs are properly fitted.
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

cjcerny wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:09 am I have a 4 handicap—never had lesson.... but you just need to find somewhere you can play a lot.
This is very true. I've seen guys get totally messed up by a hack instructor.

I play my best during the summers when nobody's out there in the midday heat (central Florida heat AND humidity). On course practice is always the best.
retire14

Post by retire14 »

Taking lesson from a pro is a must. There are plenty of good advice above.

However, I found that even before lessons, I needed to understand a few basics regarding ball flights ( push, pull, hook, slice), club face ( open vs closed), swing path and tempo. That way, you will absorb better what the pro is telling you and why. Plus, when practice, you need to know what causes a certain ball flight as you try to correct your swing. There are plenty of YouTube video that explain the basics above.

For me, my biggest improvement came after I realized that I needed to let my lower body do the work and resisted the temptation to hit hard from the top ( tempo).
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If you’re truly serious about wanting to get good as quickly as possible, a lesson every week with a good teaching pro, then practice or play every day.

The only thing I really have to add is that if your teenage kid goes to a school with a golf team, that’s a great way for the kid to get a lot of free golf, possibly even with some teaching (depending on if the coach knows anything about golf).
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 pm Easy.

Beat head against wall. Repeat.
Concise and to the point. Best advice in the thread.
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

Just go play.

Go play golf, have some fun at the driving range. Find a place to putt. Enjoy yourself.
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

---- delete ------ duplicate post
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

randomguy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:55 am

What a PGA Tour pro needs and what you need are likely to be vastly different. He doesn't need much range time cause he has already spent 20k hours on it:). You have not.

People like to talk about what you need to score well they like to talk about putting (i.e. it is relatively easy to become a person who 2 putts everything instead of 3+) and the short game. They are sort of right but they are also might be months in advance of where you are. But what what you need to do to play golf is to be able to get off the tee (say drive the ball 200 yards for the person playing 350 yard par 4s) well enough that you can find the ball and then have an iron shot (about 150 for our above mentioned guy) that sort of goes where you aim it. Until you then going out on the course is just frustrating.

A half dozen lessons with someone to help with grip and setup and large swing faults is good but a lot is just putting in the hours.
I agree with this sentiment. This is very well said:
But what what you need to do to play golf is to be able to get off the tee (say drive the ball 200 yards for the person playing 350 yard par 4s) well enough that you can find the ball and then have an iron shot (about 150 for our above mentioned guy) that sort of goes where you aim it.
And actually that modest goal is not that easy. It's kind of what a bogey golfer is going to do, and most regular golfers are sorta in that range. Plenty better for sure, but many worse. And if you can't get your drive 200 yards, then you should be smart about what tees you play from (it's probably not the 6,000 yard tees).

A better short game is always a good idea. But thinking a better short game is the path to success is incomplete. A better thought might be "between two golfers with equal long games, the one with the better short game will win." Think of it like this. A genie magically bestows me with the long game of the current worst touring pro* on the PGA tour and I keep my current short game. You get the the short game of Tiger Woods in his prime and keep your beginner long game (or heck, take my long game, it's better than a beginners. Though not good :-)). And I'll easily beat you by a lot time after time.

So yeah, if you cannot usually get near the green in regulation, then you are always trying to get up and down ... for bogey or double bogey. Or picking up. Be realistic about what tees you play from. I was playing with a friend a few years ago (he's a single digit handicap) and we watched a guy in the group in front of us take a couple of practice swings. The guy was standing on the back tees (6,800 to 7,000 or so yards ...) of a very difficult course. My friend said "that's not a back tee swing ...." And we watched the guy top a shot about a 100 yards.

But OP, my main advice is to figure out what YOU need. For example, one poster in this thread says he's a four handicap and never taken lessons. Get better by playing! This is unusual. I'm quite certain I'd be a better golfer and improved much faster if I'd taken more lessons early in my golfing life. That way, I wouldn't have grooved so many bad habits .... there are people that pick up a golf club and naturally seem to do the right thing. That is not most people. Trust me on this. It is true some instructors are better than others. And you have to figure out how to practice effectively.

But find a mix of range practice and actually playing. Like most people, I find it very very difficult to improve/fix my golf swing while playing a round. You will learn more about your golf swing with lessons and thoughtful practice than playing a round ...

And beware at all costs the helpful playing partner giving you tips the entire round. Keep your head down! Keep your left arm straight! Your grip is too strong! Or too weak! You are lined up wrong! Etc. Let these words go in one ear and out the other.

*said long game is still going to be vastly better than even a "scratch" golfer