Unforeseen Maintenance Requirements Due to Relocation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vested1

Unforeseen Maintenance Requirements Due to Relocation

Post by vested1 »

We relocated from the central coast of CA to a deep south state on the east coast, as shared in previous threads. I thought it might be helpful to share some of the unanticipated maintenance issues we've encountered and to encourage others to chime in with theirs, considering the number of relocation threads that have been popping up lately. I now consider myself somewhat naive in my assumption that the nearly maintenance free existence we enjoyed previously, mainly due to the lack of extreme weather and having a smaller house, was something that would continue.

Part of it was due to upsizing, but most is related to weather events or having to deal with household systems we never owned before. This thread could be an eye opener for those who may be as oblivious to reality as I once was. Keep in mind that my wife and I spent our entire lives in the perfect climate, in a small house on a tiny lot in town. In our new location we have brutally hot summers, some freezing in winter and rare instances of temporary snow. We live in a forest like setting 12 miles from shopping and health care.

This is a partial list of maintenance issues encountered in less than 2 years. A good portion was due to my ignorance.

- In CA we didn't have AC and rarely used the heater.
- In our new location we swelter in the summer and rely on the AC. We have two systems of heat pumps, one for the upstairs main living area (3 ton) and one for the basement (2 ton). The 3 ton AC went out for two days on Monday which drove us into the basement living area until it was repaired (failed running capacitor). We upgraded to a much better capacitor, $281 repair.

- In CA It never froze and temps in the 90's were rare and remarkable.
- In our new location we have a large lawn which is irrigated with lake water. I was blissfully ignorant about freezing pipes and the need to drain them and the lake pump at the beginning of the freezing season. New lake pump, irrigation control, and several burst pipes later, about $2,500.

- In CA we lived on a cul de sac next to a park on a .1 acre lot. We had to cut down two trees in the 25 years we lived there for a total of approx $6,000 plus permits. We had to get rid of the stumps ourselves for that price.
- In our new location our lot is .52 acres with an additional acre that we are responsible for from the house ot the lake. We've lost 30 trees in the two years we've been here. Total cost to remove all the trees, most around 80' tall pines, $3,000 (low even for here).

- In CA we were connected to the city sewer system with a gravity drain to the street, and had to repair a broken sewer pipe under the driveway before the sale of the house, about $2,500.
- In our new location we are connected to a private sewer. We have a pump in the basement that pumps sewage up to the street connection. It failed a week ago because a visitor used the toilet as a trash can $350 to fix.

- In CA we had no problems with humidity.
- In our new location we run two dehumidifiers in the summer months almost constantly to maintain a humidity level of < 50%. Cost about $400 for the dehumidifiers and electrical usage costs that add about $40 a month to the bill (guess).

- In CA we didn't have any power boats or a dock.
- In our new location we had to replace the rotted wooden decking of the dock and we chose synthetic boards ($10,000). We had to replace the non-functional boat lift and configure it for both boats ($8,000). We had to replace the rusted galvanized shore cables with stainless ($900 parts and labor). One of the shore posts that attached to the new cables pulled out during a wind storm and the dock had to be reattached to the relocated post, labor only to push the dock with a commercial pontoon boat to the new position and reattach ($400).

New location only:

-The basement floor was buckling and we had to grind, then relevel it, replacing the laminate with porcelain tile, $25,000 parts and labor.

- Spare bath repair - tub fixtures and cartridge, wall opening -$500

- Master shower developed a leak, impossible to use or fix, new shower, redesigned $15,000

- Replaced defective toilet in 3rd bathroom, $250.

- The siding on the house was mildewed from the frequent rain and humidity and needed to be professionally cleaned, $950.

- We didn't have termites or any bugs to speak of in CA where we lived.
- In our new location we paid $1,500 to initially deploy termite protection and $300 a year to maintain it. We pay $85 a quarter to keep the bugs at bay.

- I spend 2 hours a week mowing the lawn and 7 hours every few months to weed eat the growth next to the path to the lake. Some of the natural plants have grown 6 feet since I cut them to the ground 2 months ago.

- New equipment purchased:
Honda self-propelled mower - gas
Edger - gas
Weed eater - gas
Stihl chainsaw - gas
Tree saw
Spreader
3 x 100 ft heavy duty all weather hoses
Several ladders
Leaf blower - corded
3000 psi power washer - gas

Bottom line of this thread, don't just think about COL or taxes when considering a relocation. I'll be 70 next year and keeping up with this place keeps me young. or so I keep telling myself. We will eventually sell and move to a single story house in a 55 or older community and let the HOA or pay someone else to deal with the yard maintenance once it becomes too much.
StevieG72

Re: Unforeseen Maintenance Requirements Due to Relocation

Post by StevieG72 »

Welcome to the east coast, hurricane season won’t be much fun either!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

I’m guessing you have boat maintenance costs as well.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

StevieG72 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:53 am Welcome to the east coast, hurricane season won’t be much fun either!
but generally no earthquakes and low risk of massive wild fires.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Nebraska_Drought

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

It really is not an "apples to apples" comparison, which you kind of hint at. Much larger properties on much larger lots will obviously require much larger upkeep than in your previous home. Did you "do your homework" before purchasing this property? It sounds like you went from an area with no seasons or changes in weather to one that actually has them, that can be an adjustment for anyone. The other items are also mostly directly related to the property you chose to purchase as not all places are like that or as complex to keep up. Sounds more like you are missing your previous life in CA.
Life is full of choices......
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

If you have wood siding and windows, you're spending peanuts now compared to those full replacements often needed in humid climates. Formerly had a house San Luis Obispo, didn't have those types of expenses there.

In before the lock.
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

We spent a lot more on home maintenance and repairs when we lived in the South than California. Our house in the South was smaller too. I have years and years of records to prove haha.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

In all seriousness, humidity and the associated rain is a cause of extra maintenance. It is just something to learn about, as you have. If you move up far North, you learn about frost heaves and roof ice dams. Each region has its challenges. I don't like the humidity but I also don't complain about it because I want to keep the peace with friends. The subject rarely leads to any good conversation.

The populated coastal cities of CA are unique in that it hits some sweet spots that obviate some of these worries, but there's only so much land in those places. I will also say that CA is not termite free. Termites can do damage there. The humidity of the southeast does make them happier, though, I'll give you that.

One more thing, OP: if you ever have your house HVAC replaced, have them do a load calculation. You might be a 1/2 ton over or so. Many builders over-ton so people can cool the house quickly. That's a problem, though, because it may not run long enough to remove humidity properly. So, next system, have them do the calculations and be honest about it.

Post by 123 »

A question to the OP:

Knowing what you know now would you make the same move decision or would you have decided to stay in Central California coastal area?

What were the main factors that motivated your move (i.e. fleeing California madness or being closer to family etc)?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
egrets

Post by egrets »

How did you lose thirty trees? That sounds amazingly unlikely. Also, fallen trees can be beneficial for wildlife if left in place.

Hired out stump grinding is cheap and fast.

I would hire out lawn mowing.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Nebraska_Drought wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:04 am It really is not an "apples to apples" comparison, which you kind of hint at. Much larger properties on much larger lots will obviously require much larger upkeep than in your previous home. Did you "do your homework" before purchasing this property? It sounds like you went from an area with no seasons or changes in weather to one that actually has them, that can be an adjustment for anyone. The other items are also mostly directly related to the property you chose to purchase as not all places are like that or as complex to keep up. Sounds more like you are missing your previous life in CA.
+1 Some of these big items($25,000 basement floor, $15,000 bath leak) should have been flagged on an inspection. Did you get one? Have you talked w/ the inspector? Most of what you listed for true maintenance- IMO should have been evident when purchasing.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

egrets wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:17 am How did you lose thirty trees? That sounds amazingly unlikely. Also, fallen trees can be beneficial for wildlife if left in place.

The tree bit caught my attention too. Unless fallen trees are threatening improved property, we leave them alone. Cheaper and better.
Also I’m not sure what the point is of comparing living on a lake with dock and boat to...living with none of those things.
Your ac should be handling the humidity. Further dehumidifying (outside the basement at least) is almost certainly unnecessary.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

vested1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:54 am
Bottom line of this thread, don't just think about COL or taxes when considering a relocation. I'll be 70 next year and keeping up with this place keeps me young. or so I keep telling myself. We will eventually sell and move to a single story house in a 55 or older community and let the HOA or pay someone else to deal with the yard maintenance once it becomes too much.
Yes, I would agree that buying a lakefront property with extensive landscaping and a house that had some possibly deferred maintenance can offset cost of living adjustments.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

egrets wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:17 am How did you lose thirty trees? That sounds amazingly unlikely. Also, fallen trees can be beneficial for wildlife if left in place.

I'm not OP. In my 30 years in the southeast, on a 1/2 acre lot, I've lost about 100 trees. Hurricanes, ice storms, crowding -- you name it. Some have been saplings. Even so, I've lost about 40 mature trees (over 30 ft). We grow trees like weed here, and I don't mean that metaphorically.

The largest loss was after a hurricane and leaving them in the twisted mess is best left for a forest, and not an urban back yard. They had to be cleaned out for safety. Many of the trees were bent and under load (very dangerous). As they rot, they could shift if children play on them. And so on.

To OP's actionable point: if you relocate to the southeast and enjoy the forests and trees, consider the cost of maintaining them should you buy property. Trees are very high maintenance, especially the way they grow from Mississippi to Virginia.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

We knew and priced into our offer an initial round of tree removal that were touching the house or impacted by septic system replacement when we purchased our house. I thought we would be set for a few years but we had a domino effect take out three one year later...and a "widowmaker" in the backyard so another 10 went since we had a crane for the day...we have 1+ acres in New England.

Agreed, lawn mowing is cheap to outsource.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Tubes wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:31 am

I'm not OP. In my 30 years in the southeast, on a 1/2 acre lot, I've lost about 100 trees. Hurricanes, ice storms, crowding -- you name it. Some have been saplings. Even so, I've lost about 40 mature trees (over 30 ft). We grow trees like weed here, and I don't mean that metaphorically.

The largest loss was after a hurricane and leaving them in the twisted mess is best left for a forest, and not an urban back yard. They had to be cleaned out for safety. Many of the trees were bent and under load (very dangerous). As they rot, they could shift if children play on them. And so on.

To OP's actionable point: if you relocate to the southeast and enjoy the forests and trees, consider the cost of maintaining them should you buy property. Trees are very high maintenance, especially the way they grow from Mississippi to Virginia.
Thank you for getting my point. I wasn't complaining, but simply confessing to being unprepared for something I had never experienced before. Others seem to think that's negligent, but you don't know what you don't know after all.

The trees that have fallen or grown too sick to survive were planted by previous owners. They are a type of pine that grows quickly and which has a small root base. When one falls it takes others with it like dominos. They are cheap, and that was the main reason they were chosen. The land between the lake and the house is owned by the Corps of Engineers who have strict rules on the spacing of trees, requiring no more than 18' between trees in order to control runoff and erosion, which works well. Consequently most residents go the cheap route. I didn't, and spent $450 on trees last year that were promptly eaten by the deer. Those maples must have tasted like syrup. :oops:

The reason this thread is actionable is that there are many members looking to relocate. Some live in urban areas and dream about having more land, a bigger house, and possibly living on a lake. I was merely pointing out that taxes and cost of living are not the only criteria that should be considered, and you have added a valuable perspective on that theme. Hopefully others will as well.
Last edited by vested1 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Wellfleet wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:33 am

We knew and priced into our offer an initial round of tree removal that were touching the house or impacted by septic system replacement when we purchased our house. I thought we would be set for a few years but we had a domino effect take out three one year later...and a "widowmaker" in the backyard so another 10 went since we had a crane for the day...we have 1+ acres in New England.

Agreed, lawn mowing is cheap to outsource.
I paid for lawn service the first year at about $160 average a month for 2 cuts, which was fine. The problem was that I couldn't find anyone who would show up when they said they would or who wasn't trying to upsell me with things I didn't need. One was dishonest and lied about the type of grass, changing what it was a few times in an attempt to have me agree to have it cut weekly at twice the cost. There were several other examples of his dishonesty as well, so I fired him.

The lawn is difficult to mow at any rate, with a steep section and a few trees to maneuver around which makes using a riding mower impractical. I can do it in two hours if I don't take a break and it looks better when I do it anyway.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

shhh, remember California (and especially the Central Coast) sucks - that's why everyone leaves :D
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

surfstar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm shhh, remember California (and especially the Central Coast) sucks - that's why everyone leaves :D
+1, it's sucky to be there. Time for most ppl to move away :twisted: :beer
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

vested1, thanks for sharing this. We're pondering a relocation to NC and this first-hand account of your experience is very helpful. :beer
Last edited by jarjarM on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

59Gibson wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:21 am
Nebraska_Drought wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:04 am It really is not an "apples to apples" comparison, which you kind of hint at. Much larger properties on much larger lots will obviously require much larger upkeep than in your previous home. Did you "do your homework" before purchasing this property? It sounds like you went from an area with no seasons or changes in weather to one that actually has them, that can be an adjustment for anyone. The other items are also mostly directly related to the property you chose to purchase as not all places are like that or as complex to keep up. Sounds more like you are missing your previous life in CA.
+1 Some of these big items($25,000 basement floor, $15,000 bath leak) should have been flagged on an inspection. Did you get one? Have you talked w/ the inspector? Most of what you listed for true maintenance- IMO should have been evident when purchasing.
To be clear, I never hinted that the two examples were apples to apples, quite the opposite. The one in CA was the first house I had owned so I really had nothing to compare it with. Those thinking about relocating would do well to factor in moderate amounts of maintenance if upsizing or moving to a rural location; something that is often ignored. That is my point and the reason that this thread is actionable.

We had a great inspector on the new one who caught most of what needed to be fixed, including a fairly new roof that had hail damage, so we required the seller to replace the entire roof before close of escrow, and they agreed. The basement floor had new laminate on it and looked fine when me moved in, but after a year or so it began to separate. When we lifted it we found that the previous owner had tried to make up for the defective original pour job of the slab by placing layers of cardboard beneath the laminate in the low spots. It was too late to pursue anything with the seller and $7,000 of the cost of the floor replacement was due to grinding and leveling the slab in an area of 625 sq feet, pouring 83, 50 pound bags of leveling compound in the process. The leveling compound was almost $50 a bag. The new floor is the same 24" x 24" porcelain tile in all three rooms. It has Ditra underlayment with schluter thin set above and below the Ditra.

The master shower didn't start leaking until after we were in the house for over a year. It was a small slide in fiberglass model with very little access to the drain from the 2nd garage ceiling in the basement. We replaced the shower with an enlarged design moving one wall, using porcelain tile, new high end fixtures, and a trough drain, with a new can light above the shower. The contractor used a schluter system that is guaranteed not to leak for life. The new door is 3/8" glass. We cleaned up various other outdated elements in the bathroom at the same time, like an old exhaust fan that looked like it was put in by Fred Flintstone, and adding 5" crown molding to match the other rooms. We had plans to replace the shower within a couple of years anyway because my wife hated the old one, but the leak stepped up the schedule.

I also personally painted the bathroom and all three rooms in the basement, as well as the stairwell from the main level.

What started as a remodel of the shower and the basement floor costing approx 22k ballooned to 40k because of hidden issues that needed to be fixed. About half of it was due to the previous owner taking shortcuts that were hidden from view and which couldn't be caught by an inspector. The repair in the 2nd bathroom was caused by such a shortcut. We were without the master shower for 7 months and without the use of the entire basement (family room, bedroom, bathroom) from March 1st to mid July of this year.

I would encourage those who comment to focus on maintenance issues at their home that may have been unexpected. It may just add some sobering thought to those pursuing relocation.
Last edited by vested1 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

jarjarM wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:27 pm
surfstar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm shhh, remember California (and especially the Central Coast) sucks - that's why everyone leaves :D
+1, it's sucky to be there. Time for most ppl to move away :twisted: :beer
Yes, my first love and where I lived for 66 years. The problem is that if you live in a small house with one bad neighbor who was next to you for 25 years it's impossible to upgrade without leaving due to the cost of purchasing anything reasonable. Our old home has risen in value 158k in two years according to Zillow (for whatever that's worth). That's a 23% increase.

Our new (used) home in SC has risen in value over 100k in the 22 months since we bought it, 20% (Zillow again), which doesn't take into account the improvements we've made.

Both increases are temporary in my opinion due to the lack of inventory, but homes in both locations are selling above asking immediately with no contingencies, which is too risky for my blood. Maintenance costs are more of a constant, and shouldn't be ignored.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

It's amazing how the OP can spread falsehoods and nobody calls him on it.

"We cleaned up various other outdated elements in the bathroom at the same time, like an old exhaust fan that looked like it was put in by Fred Flintstone"

Everyone knows Fred Flintstone didn't have a bathroom fan, Wilma simply left the house for an hour or so. Dino was constantly blamed. :D
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

In the colonial era, a person had to be "seasoned" (that was the term they used) to the climate. I suppose it still holds true not only in personal comfort but in home maintenance for new arrivals. Much of the southeast is sub-tropical, great for gardening, but its rough on houses: the heat, the humidity take a toll. It's all in what a person is used to and what they expect. In time, it will all become second nature.

Yes, maple trees must be sweet which is why I keep my new ones with a loose collar of hardware cloth (found a collar which fits next to the trunk attracts earwigs). In a bumper year for rabbits like we are having now, I'm even putting the collar around some small shrubs; by late winter, they will start to devour everything.

Sound like your pines may have been loblolly pines; not really pretty, fast growing and used for poles. The biggest unanticipated expense has been my trees; they need pruning every few years and even then, they can just fall. A good tree company can be a treasure after a hurricane. Here, sometimes the good ones get so backed up, they stop taking new customers.

Take comfort in that you are not alone. Even George Washington struggled with climate related issues at Mt. Vernon - they are still dealing with them. Dealing with the issues is big business in the south: from critters to crawlspaces to insulation, to shrink swell soil...maybe we talk so slow since we are just plum tuckered out.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am

The tree bit caught my attention too. Unless fallen trees are threatening improved property, we leave them alone. Cheaper and better.
Also I’m not sure what the point is of comparing living on a lake with dock and boat to...living with none of those things.
Your ac should be handling the humidity. Further dehumidifying (outside the basement at least) is almost certainly unnecessary.
We have a flat cart path from the house to the lake which is permitted by the Corps of Engineers who own the entire shoreline of the 50,000 acre lake where we live. Invariably a tree would fall across the path or one would suddenly overhang it dangerously when it was hit by another falling tree. Some were not a danger and were left to rot. Termites are prolific in SC, and they make relative short work of downed trees. At an unbelievably cheap rate of about $100 a tree to remove from the property, the fallen or dead trees were removed to allow an unimpeded stroll off the path if desired. Crossing a fallen tree if you need to get to the other side can be hazardous, and add liability.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:17 pm It's amazing how the OP can spread falsehoods and nobody calls him on it.

"We cleaned up various other outdated elements in the bathroom at the same time, like an old exhaust fan that looked like it was put in by Fred Flintstone"

Everyone knows Fred Flintstone didn't have a bathroom fan, Wilma simply left the house for an hour or so. Dino was constantly blamed. :D
Dang, you caught me. Wilma wishes that Fred had installed a bathroom fan however. They come in handy sometimes when perusing the morning paper.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:18 pm In the colonial era, a person had to be "seasoned" (that was the term they used) to the climate. I suppose it still holds true not only in personal comfort but in home maintenance for new arrivals. Much of the southeast is sub-tropical, great for gardening, but its rough on houses: the heat, the humidity take a toll. It's all in what a person is used to and what they expect. In time, it will all become second nature.

Yes, maple trees must be sweet which is why I keep my new ones with a loose collar of hardware cloth (found a collar which fits next to the trunk attracts earwigs). In a bumper year for rabbits like we are having now, I'm even putting the collar around some small shrubs; by late winter, they will start to devour everything.

Sound like your pines may have been loblolly pines; not really pretty, fast growing and used for poles. The biggest unanticipated expense has been my trees; they need pruning every few years and even then, they can just fall. A good tree company can be a treasure after a hurricane. Here, sometimes the good ones get so backed up, they stop taking new customers.

Take comfort in that you are not alone. Even George Washington struggled with climate related issues at Mt. Vernon - they are still dealing with them. Dealing with the issues is big business in the south: from critters to crawlspaces to insulation, to shrink swell soil...maybe we talk so slow since we are just plum tuckered out.
Our tree guy is the exception. He uses a forklift to haul the sectioned trees to the community burn pile about two blocks from our house. He has a dump truck as well and some seasoned chainsaw operators. I have no idea how he makes a profit so I tip him generously, as I do all workers who I employ if they deserve it, and most do. The downside is that he is impossible to nail down for an appointment. The last 15 trees sat for 3 months in a tangled mess after we agreed on a price before he showed up to remove them with no notice.

I haven't got the slow talk down yet, but I'm working on it.
RoadagentMN

Post by RoadagentMN »

Houses are built with sacrificial materials - they simply have an expiration date that is unknown but progressive. Getting good at visual home inspection goes a long way on the preventive maintenance. An interesting fact, that up until the early 60's, new homes with a 30 year mortgages needed to built in such away that the home should last 30 years- like everything last. Hence, lack of carpet in many new homes at that time (it wouldn't have lasted 30 years).

Obviously, flood, hail, fire and famine (nuclear war) where all exceptions.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We live near Tampa Bay, and we don't have mold/mildew issues inside or out.

The outside is pressure washed every year or two. You shouldn't wait until the mold or algae sets in, it can damage siding. Easier to prevent than remove.

Your pressure cleaning cost seems very very high, to me. My cost fo PW is $175-$200.

So far as mold /mildew inside, you need your A/C person to take a look see. You shouldn't have any issues like that if your units are set correctly, including your ductwork.

We have exhaust fans in every bathroom. Gotta have them, gotta use them.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Similar experience. I moved from the southwest to the southeast, and my home maintenance costs went through the roof. I was spending over $10k a year in maintenance, and it was a nightmare selling the home. I moved back to the southwest, and my maintenance costs are now back to less than $5k a year. Weather matters.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Building a house in the south is more than construction, its an art to withstand the heat, humidity and moisture. If you love your house, even if its a new home, it's not work; if you don't it's a chore. The Matthews Jones House at Ft. Eustis is perhaps the oldest house on a US military base. It shows the evolution of building methods in an effort to get it right.

https://www.jble.af.mil/News/Features/D ... -building/

This will be my last home. I've learned to repoint the brick. Gotta either love to do it or hate it and pay a mason - and they are getting harder and harder to find.

Early construction in colonial VA consisted primarily of earthfast houses - homes built on poles stuck into the earth. Its making a comeback in the form of houses on poles to avoid flooding...maybe one day we will get it right. Until then, we fight with, argue with and reconcile with nature.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

A cautionary tale for those of us prone to leaping then looking. Let me guess - this was a spouse dream house?
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

snackdog wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:39 pm A cautionary tale for those of us prone to leaping then looking. Let me guess - this was a spouse dream house?
No, it was mine. Any lake house will come with additional maintenance, but one located in an area subject to extreme weather has more. My wife wanted to live in a more populated area closer to our daughter, granddaughters, and great granddaughter (with a great grandson due in September). She relented when it became clear that our lake house would be a popular place to visit, and it has been.

Don't get me wrong, the effort and money spent on maintenance has been worth it. The house is 5 bed 3 bath and a joy to live in. The water sports and the diversions we've created keep things lively. Once I'm unable to handle the maintenance and the stairs anymore we will relocate, possibly to Bluffton in the previously mentioned +55 community.

My wife and I have always been adventurous, her with my encouragement. This experience has been no exception. With every new adventure there are normally unforeseen occurrences however, some good, some bad. So far the good outweighs the bad by a wide margin. If we had remained in the old house we would have always wondered what could have been. Now we know, and won't make the same mistakes next time, but rather will make new mistakes. Such is life. Stagnancy is to be avoided IMHO.
Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:43 pm We live near Tampa Bay, and we don't have mold/mildew issues inside or out.

The outside is pressure washed every year or two. You shouldn't wait until the mold or algae sets in, it can damage siding. Easier to prevent than remove.

Your pressure cleaning cost seems very very high, to me. My cost fo PW is $175-$200.

So far as mold /mildew inside, you need your A/C person to take a look see. You shouldn't have any issues like that if your units are set correctly, including your ductwork.

We have exhaust fans in every bathroom. Gotta have them, gotta use them.

Broken Man 1999
I agree that the cost was ridiculously high. The problem is that getting any work done during the COVID era has been more than difficult. Contractors and service providers refuse to return calls and voicemails here. Most don't have a contact number on their websites and insist that you contact them through email, which they almost never reply to. Most don't list a business address, even though they have one. When they make appointments they don't show up and don't call. When you finally get one to agree to do the work they charge much more than they did before COVID.

This is not isolated to newcomers. Most of the contractors we used were referred to us by new acquaintances, and when we had a good experience, we referred new friends to the ones that did the work. The house cleaner did much more than merely power wash the exterior, and got out stains that I thought were permanent where our grill, and the previous owners one was located under a permanent awning on the main level exterior deck. That being said, I wouldn't refer that contractor to a friend because of his price, even though he did a fantastic job. I had tried to do the work myself with my old 1,200 psi power washer, but failed. The back of the house has a peak at over 25 feet above the rear cement driveway, and I am done doing work at that height at age 69.

As an example of what it's like to get quality work done here, a neighbor asked us who had replaced the decking on our dock because she liked it and wanted to get hers done. She also asked how much it cost, and I told her. I gave her the contact info and she called them. She told me a couple of days ago that she had signed the contract with that company to do the work. Work will begin in 14 months, which is the earliest they can fit her in. Good contractors can now pick and choose which jobs they will accept and the delay in getting things done is just another thing that goes into the mix.

Add to that the fact that here in the south, at least in this location, island time x 2 or 3 is the reality. I don't want this thread to turn into a rant however, but more informative for those looking to relocate.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

OP: I think your point is well taken that when relocates, one has to be aware of maintenance and other housing issues. For instance, if I were to move to the rural southwest, I'd have no clue as to what to do about water. I'd have to research. I might have to learn about dust and how to avoid hanta virus, etc.

Otherwise, I want to point out that your experience with contractors is not a "south" thing. In this unique time, people everywhere are having issues finding good labor. But yeah, humidity is a south thing. :D
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

snackdog wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:39 pm A cautionary tale for those of us prone to leaping then looking. Let me guess - this was a spouse dream house?
We have also discovered many things about housing in our move from NJ to a dream house in MA. Most of the discoveries have been positive:
birds in “deep wood surroundings” are different than what you hear in the suburbs,

your dogs can become accustomed to deer and turkeys and not lose their minds,

a quarantine when you can jump in the pool ain’t so bad,

saunas are good for you,

the Japanese are on to something good with soaking tubs and washlet toilets.

Otoh, regarding maintenance:
Wherever different materials meet on a roof, you will have a leak: rubber, copper, slate. You will happily pay whatever the roofer asks. Quality roofers are artists and charge accordingly. They are also fussy like artists.

When we moved into our stone house, I didn’t know what repointing was. I know now and have paid for it. Masons are like roofers.

I like stucco. I had never heard of EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finishing System), until I discovered that what I thought was stucco was EIFS. Apparently I will pay for an annual water infiltration test if I want to continue to have my home insured, or I will pay for remediation/replacement. Thankfully it’s not on too much of our house. It’s well installed, but the insurance company is not interested in that. Maybe next year I’ll replace it.

OP, we lost 8 majestic oak trees on the “cleared” area of our house and some unknown number in the wetlands. We are replacing the oaks both with live oaks and next year mass planting acorns. If oak trees are close together, their roots intertwine and make the resulting stand more resilient. Read The Nature of Oaks to see how they are the most supportive of wildlife. Also, for an acorn planter developed by an inventive grandfather: https://www.nutplanter.com/about.html (no financial association).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I'm strongly considering starting a "Handling humidity, moisture and rot in the Southeast USA" thread. In the meantime, our OP kind of started something. And guess what? Yesterday, I noticed a soft spot on my 17 year old deck. One thing lead to another and today I had a nice project to replace said step. I'll have to replace 5 more, this is the tip of an iceberg.

For me, no problem. It is a retirement project. I do this kind of work gratis for people in need. My total cost for this repair is less than $20 in material. If I do more steps, I'll probably drop $50 or $60 bucks. But in this environment, I've seen dishonorable handmen try to charge upwards of $1000 for this. It really ticks me off.

Anyway, a rotted step. And the stringer is rotted too. Oh my. I'll add a cleat. I don't like this design because it traps too much water. My main problems with these steps are: 1) "dry" rot which is really wet rot, and 2) Carpenter bees which are boring from beneath and weakening all the steps.

Happy repairs!!!

Topic Author
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Now you did it Tubes. I guess I'm going to have to look more closely at our stairs from the upper deck.

I do wish you would start a thread giving tips on how to handle moisture and humidity problems in the southeast. If you added others on how to best deal with roaches (sorry palmetto bugs, eyeroll), deer, armadillos, raccoons, wasps, and beavers that chew holes in your dock floats to make homes I would subscribe.

The resident fox, the turtles, the birds, the fireflies, and the fish make up for those less desirable local denizens.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

vested1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:56 am Now you did it Tubes. I guess I'm going to have to look more closely at our stairs from the upper deck.

I do wish you would start a thread giving tips on how to handle moisture and humidity problems in the southeast. If you added others on how to best deal with roaches (sorry palmetto bugs, eyeroll), deer, armadillos, raccoons, wasps, and beavers that chew holes in your dock floats to make homes I would subscribe.

The resident fox, the turtles, the birds, the fireflies, and the fish make up for those less desirable local denizens.
And some in the Northeast would be happy to read along also, as we have had more moisture and humidity this summer than we ever recall.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I'll do it a little later today. I'll keep the subject broad and not limit location. Northeast and Pacific NW moisture creates challenges too!
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

As promised, I started a thread on moisture issues. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=355856

I'm late because, well, I've been busy. After further examination, I discovered the rot was extensive. I failed to give the wood a good poke. Instead of the little cleats I installed as seen above, I had to instead cut full length stringers to effectively co-join and double up the existing odd stringer in place. It turns out it was actually getting a little bit structurally serious! I also ended up replacing all the steps. They were all warped in a way to pool the water. It was enjoyable working in the heat. Ha ha.