After vehicle accident should I use Insurance's preferred Body Repair Shop?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jpa

After vehicle accident should I use Insurance's preferred Body Repair Shop?

Post by jpa »

I was recently rear-ended at a low speed (5-10 mph). The other person's insurance accepted fault. They sort of pressured me into using their preferred body shop, stating it would be a lot less steps. However, it's seemingly a churn/high volume shop, and I'm a little concerned about the (potential) conflict of interest. I checked with a smaller body shop and they stated that the particular insurance company is notorious for underwhelming estimates, but that they would fight with them to get everything fixed. ***The one thing that is in favor of the insurance's preferred shop, is that the insurance company stands by their work for the life of the car.

Additional context: 2013 SUV worth about 14k and likely just a bumper or paint correction needed on initial inspection.

Thanks for any advice you have!
RickBoglehead

Re: After vehicle accident should I use Insurance's preferred Body Repair Shop?

Post by RickBoglehead »

Contact YOUR insurance company. Use THEIR recommended shop, which will often include a lifetime warranty.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Rick is absolutely right. Last time our car headed to the body shop, we used a double preferred (they had 2 levels) shop from OUR insurance company. We never even talk to the other insurance company. OUR insurance company has our interest, at least somewhat. The other guy's company has zero interest in you.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
jpa

Post by jpa »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:52 pm Rick is absolutely right. Last time our car headed to the body shop, we used a double preferred (they had 2 levels) shop from OUR insurance company. We never even talk to the other insurance company. OUR insurance company has our interest, at least somewhat. The other guy's company has zero interest in you.

My insurance company (Geico) just took my info and told me to go through the other company, unless I wanted to pay the deductible ....would you recommend paying the deductible, using Geico's preferred company, and then getting my deductible back from them in a few weeks?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I would do that. Then I'd drop Geico and get an independent agent who will not treat you like that. In our last accident, where a car plowed into the side of our car, our agency handled it, then the insurance company (ours) gave us all our options. I've never had them say "Go deal with the other company".
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ginrummy

Post by ginrummy »

Just happened to me. Was nicked in the parking lot of a hotel. Guy left insurance information (State Farm). I called the shop that does my service and asked them to recommend a body shop. They did. I took it straight there. They called the insurance company (after I'd gotten a claim number) and arranged for the estimator to come out. All worked well. Car looks great. If I'd gone with a preferred shop I may have saved time, but it was marginal. I paid out of pocket. State Farm sent a check for reimbursement.
thomas716

Post by thomas716 »

A few years ago when my wife had an accident which she was not at fault, we contacted our insurance company to handle everything. Initially I had to pay our deductible, but our insurance paid us back. If you’re not at fault, your insurance will go to the at fault’s insurance and get the money back.