Best ticket brokers -- sporting events

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
brian91480

Best ticket brokers -- sporting events

Post by brian91480 »

Hello,

I searched the WIKI for this topic, but I could not find if this topic was posted previously:

I am looking to buy sports tickets online (re-sale tickets, the events are sold out). The fees from online ticket brokers vary widely. I was pricing tickets to a football game this past weekend. The exact same 4 tickets were $80 cheaper on 1 ticket site (Tick Pick) versus another (Vivid Seats).

So... does anyone have recommendations for the lowest fee, but still reputable, ticket broker for sporting events?

Thanks --- Brian
Hockey10

Re: Best ticket brokers -- sporting events

Post by Hockey10 »

I am not familiar with the two ticket brokers you mentioned. I have used StubHub many times and Ticketmaster a few times. Never had a problem with fake tickets. Service has been excellent from both.

When I am searching for tickets, I always first click on the box that includes the fees in the price. I don't care about the fees, just the total price of the ticket including fees. I can then compare similar seats across ticket brokers. I like the feature on StubHub that rates the seats on "best value".

A former co-worker once bought tickets from a scalper for cash outside the stadium. The tickets were fake. :oops:
Topic Author
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

Hockey10 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:03 pm I am not familiar with the two ticket brokers you mentioned. I have used StubHub many times and Ticketmaster a few times. Never had a problem with fake tickets. Service has been excellent from both.

When I am searching for tickets, I always first click on the box that includes the fees in the price. I don't care about the fees, just the total price of the ticket including fees. I can then compare similar seats across ticket brokers. I like the feature on StubHub that rates the seats on "best value".

A former co-worker once bought tickets from a scalper for cash outside the stadium. The tickets were fake. :oops:
I think the era of buying paper tickets outside stadiums is in severe decline. It's all online now. I think stub hub and ticket master are expensive compared to other sites. Im hoping there's a diamond in the rough site that I don't know about.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

brian91480 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:21 pm
Hockey10 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:03 pm I am not familiar with the two ticket brokers you mentioned. I have used StubHub many times and Ticketmaster a few times. Never had a problem with fake tickets. Service has been excellent from both.

I think the era of buying paper tickets outside stadiums is in severe decline. It's all online now. I think stub hub and ticket master are expensive compared to other sites. Im hoping there's a diamond in the rough site that I don't know about.
+1. I agree with Brian and Hockey. I have bought and sold tickets through Stubhub and Ticketmaster a lot but not in recent years. Their service was very good. My only complaint was the price. There probably are some reputable but less well known sites today with better pricing.
rmdashrfsplat

Post by rmdashrfsplat »

I've bought tickets through Tick Pick several times with no issues. Generally cheaper than other options but less selection available.
BrendanP

Post by BrendanP »

Stubhub is very pricey with their fees but you can have confidence the tickets are legit. Hard to put a price on that.

I remember the days of buying tix on Craigslist and holding my breath they weren't fake lol.
goonie

Post by goonie »

I think I've pretty much only used Stubhub and Ticketmaster to buy from resellers, so my experience is somewhat limited. I've also used both to resell tickets I've bought directly from a team or event. With that said, here's my "not really all that helpful" thoughts...

Be sure to compare final, "out the door" prices. That's what matters to you when you're buying, not which one has the lowest fees embedded in that price. I've seen friends get hung up over a listing on Stubhub having higher fees than a listing on another site, even though the Stubhub listing's final price is about the same. And I take the same approach when I'm selling. I only care about the amount that I will receive. Having this mindset makes it much easier to compare across sites.

Also be sure to understand the guarantee that each site puts behind what you're purchasing. My understanding is that Stubhub's guarantee is the best. Their ability to have the best guarantee is partly the result of their fee structure but also partly because they really penalize the seller if they screw up.

I know that doesn't really get you any closer to clarity but I figured I would chime in anyway. And I agree with what you and others said about buying paper tickets from someone in person. The opportunity for fraud there went up when teams and events started letting you electronically transfer tickets to someone else, which immediately voids the paper ticket. When you buy a paper ticket from someone in person (as opposed to doing it via a site like Stubhub), you're taking the chance that it hasn't already been voided. However, with the pandemic, most teams have now gone all digital, so paper tickets are almost extinct.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Recently used MegaSeats for basketball tickets. They tout themselves as a "no fees" reseller. It is true and we had no problems with them.
Topic Author
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

goingup wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:54 pm Recently used MegaSeats for basketball tickets. They tout themselves as a "no fees" reseller. It is true and we had no problems with them.
Thank you... I will check them out!
BrendanP

Post by BrendanP »

As someone who has used Stubhub a lot, keep in mind there's a lot of ebb and flow with regards to pricing. Often, but not always, prices will drop as the events get closer, and then shoot up and then fluctuate as last minute buyers get involved. You can save a lot if you time things properly.

But a lot of things can affect prices such as a team's record, weather, holidays or other events, and nowadays probably COVID restrictions
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

brian91480 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:20 pm Hello,

I searched the WIKI for this topic, but I could not find if this topic was posted previously:

I am looking to buy sports tickets online (re-sale tickets, the events are sold out). The fees from online ticket brokers vary widely. I was pricing tickets to a football game this past weekend. The exact same 4 tickets were $80 cheaper on 1 ticket site (Tick Pick) versus another (Vivid Seats).

So... does anyone have recommendations for the lowest fee, but still reputable, ticket broker for sporting events?

Thanks --- Brian
Game time app is very good. Can get weekday games at 20% face value, sometimes less. Once got into a baseball game for $1.

That said for high demand games you’re still going to pay the big bucks but if you’re flexible on the day this is the way to go.
JP711

Post by JP711 »

I’ve had good results with Tick Pick in the distant past for NBA tickets and recommended it for a friend who had equally good results with NFL tickets.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

BrendanP wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:15 am Stubhub is very pricey with their fees but you can have confidence the tickets are legit. Hard to put a price on that.

I remember the days of buying tix on Craigslist and holding my breath they weren't fake lol.
I have friends who have bought tickets online (donot know who from) and found out at the stadium they were fake. It is worth something to avoid that risk. Stubhub and Ticketmaster guarantee their tickets.
reddison

Post by reddison »

I have purchased through Stubhub, TicketMaster and Vivid Seats. All are reputable but have plenty of fees tacked on. I've never heard of Tick Pick.
tj

Post by tj »

Monsterflockster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:13 am
brian91480 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:20 pm Hello,

Thanks --- Brian
Game time app is very good. Can get weekday games at 20% face value, sometimes less. Once got into a baseball game for $1.

That said for high demand games you’re still going to pay the big bucks but if you’re flexible on the day this is the way to go.
What teams did you see for $1 ?!?
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

I got into a St. Louis game in the bleachers for $1 when traveling for work. We were already there for dinner and the game was about to start. I also got Sharks tickets regularly under $20. Often in the $8-$12 range but you’re in the nosebleeds.

The way it works is based on demand. You gotta check daily, sometimes the day of the event. Great mid-week game prices if you’re nearby. But like I said high demand games won’t be any better on the pricing.