New Garmin GPS - charging issue or not?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fsrph

New Garmin GPS - charging issue or not?

Post by fsrph »

Bought my first car GPS from Best Buy, a basic Garmin unit. I'm not sure if it's functioning properly, maybe someone can help. The unit was dead out of of the box which may be from sitting on the shelf. I charged it for about 1.5 to 2 hours. I then used it for under 10 minutes (with it not being plugged in) before it was dead again. Last night, I charged it longer until a full (5 bar) charge was showing. I unplugged the unit and let it sit overnight Didn't use it at all. In the morning turned it on and charge was down to a 1 bar. Is this unit charging/functioning properly? I can take it back to Best Buy but not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal. Thanks.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Leesbro63

Re: New Garmin GPS - charging issue or not?

Post by Leesbro63 »

With all due respect, who buys a freestanding GPS these days? Google Maps is free, updates in real time, doesn't require a subscription and is always there on your phone.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Did you leave the GPS on all night? Or did you power it down?

Most car power adapters turn off when the car is not on, so charging will not happen.

If the unit is on, in a garage and searching for GPS signal, the battery could run down fast. When you drive the GPS should charge back up if plugged into a power adapter.

Most of the portable GPS units I had in the past did not have a very long battery life. They were powered by the car when running and using.

With cell phones and apps like Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps, portable units are not really used too much anymore.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If I had to ask Bogleheads.org, then I wouldn't consider it normal. Please take it back.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

My unit requires it to be powered down completely. This is done by holding the power button for a few seconds. If you only press the power button momentarily, the display will turn off but it will still suck power. They don't last long without being plugged into power. They recharge faster with power off.

A standalone GPS unit is a great driver aid...better in my opinion than using the phone. Especially if you drive into areas with no/poor cell service since the map is pre-downloaded into the GPS but not into the phone. And the phone can be doing other things while the GPS is doing its thing. My Garmin has free map updates for life. But I'll probably stop using it once I get Carplay.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Afty

Post by Afty »

I wonder if it has been sitting on the shelf so long that the battery won't hold a charge.
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:34 am With all due respect, who buys a freestanding GPS these days? Google Maps is free, updates in real time, doesn't require a subscription and is always there on your phone.
I am not a big cellphone user. Have T-mobil pay as you go plan and use phone rarely. To go the Google maps way I'd have to upgrade my phone and my plan so I thought a freestanding GPS would fit my needs. Unit was on sale for $100. But, I do understand that most would use the Google maps.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

fsrph wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:34 am With all due respect, who buys a freestanding GPS these days? Google Maps is free, updates in real time, doesn't require a subscription and is always there on your phone.
I am not a big cellphone user. Have T-mobil pay as you go plan and use phone rarely. To go the Google maps way I'd have to upgrade my phone and my plan so I thought a freestanding GPS would fit my needs. Unit was on sale for $100. But, I do understand that most would use the Google maps.

Francis
Fair enough! Happy motoring!
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Google maps doesn't update in real time without a signal. Downloading maps to view offline gets old if you need to do it often. It's having the right tool at the right time. I use Apple maps and Google maps when I'm in cell range. I use my vehicle nav when I'm out of cell coverage. I use Gaia downloaded detailed maps for offline specific areas. I have a Garmin Mini Inreach for offlline tracking, offline satelite messaging and offline emergency situations.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

fsrph wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 am I am not a big cellphone user. Have T-mobil pay as you go plan and use phone rarely. To go the Google maps way I'd have to upgrade my phone and my plan so I thought a freestanding GPS would fit my needs. Unit was on sale for $100. But, I do understand that most would use the Google maps.

Francis
You can download "offline maps" in Google Maps in wifi, so that most of the mapping data is on the device without needing cellular data. Google Maps would then only use cellular data for traffic and the like. Or you can disable cellular data altogether and Google Maps would still work.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... %3DAndroid
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Californiastate wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:55 am Downloading maps to view offline gets old if you need to do it often.
No you don't need to do it often, it can be totally automatic: https://www.androidauthority.com/google ... id-637359/
Californiastate

02nz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:57 am
Californiastate wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:55 am Downloading maps to view offline gets old if you need to do it often.
No you don't need to do it often, it can be totally automatic: https://www.androidauthority.com/google ... id-637359/
The automatic update is for resetting their 15 day sunset of existing downloaded maps.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Californiastate wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 am
02nz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:57 am
The automatic update is for resetting their 15 day sunset of existing downloaded maps.
Yes, that's what I meant. Of course for different areas you'd need to download separately, but only an issue if OP frequently goes out of town.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Be sure to do a software and map update to the Garmin unit before you try using it.

You can download the program to do the update to your computer and run it from there. With the downloading the map update and updating the unit it will be moving a lot of data so it can take and two(?) hours or more to do the update.

I have had a new stand alone GPS that did not work I did the first software update.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

For driving, I use the Garmins which are powered by the 12 V cigarette lighter.
I use those with the lane direction and traffic
I use my smartphone otherwise.

My newest car has a built-in NAV which is nicer, but the Garmin is fine as well.
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

When using downloaded Google map in a remote area with no cell signal, I could not do any destination searches. Is this expected behavior?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Technically, it's not ALWAYS there on your phone. You get out of cell tower coverage, and your phone Maps app stops working.

Garmin GPS is satellite-based and always works, even out in the middle of nowhere. But that's just a nitpick. :)

OP, I'd take it back to Best Buy. Or call Garmin. They are pretty good at replacing broken items free of charge (even like a year later, in my experience).
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

some of us use them outdoors where a phone will get destroyed in the elements. A standalone GPS also has features specific to its application.

Its a specific tool for a specific job. If all you're doing is using it to find the nearest Walmart, then use a phone by all means.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

gwe67 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 am My unit requires it to be powered down completely. This is done by holding the power button for a few seconds. If you only press the power button momentarily, the display will turn off but it will still suck power. They don't last long without being plugged into power. They recharge faster with power off.

A standalone GPS unit is a great driver aid...better in my opinion than using the phone. Especially if you drive into areas with no/poor cell service since the map is pre-downloaded into the GPS but not into the phone. And the phone can be doing other things while the GPS is doing its thing. My Garmin has free map updates for life. But I'll probably stop using it once I get Carplay.
I ditched my standalone Garmin years ago. I was driving on Majorca, and the Garmin with updated maps was doing a poor job so I switched to my cell phone app. In dozens of subsequent trips to Europe & Canada I've relied on my phone app.

I use HERE We GO on my android, both in the USA and Europe. There's no cost to use this, so long as you set it to operate without cell data and have downloaded the required map. Always using downloaded maps, always with phone data turned off. It in now way depends on cell service unless you need current traffic info or need to search the internet for an address that's not in the downloaded map.

Also, the phone can do other things while simultaneously navigating. For example, I can use the phone to take or make a hands free call and still navigate.

I recently bought a new car, my first with built in navigation. To my surprise, I find my phone app better & easier to use that the auto's!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

HomerJ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:44 pmTechnically, it's not ALWAYS there on your phone. You get out of cell tower coverage, and your phone Maps app stops working.

Garmin GPS is satellite-based and always works, even out in the middle of nowhere. But that's just a nitpick. :)
Phone GPS is satellite-based by definition. With offline maps, Google maps and other map applications such as Avenza, Maprika, Earthmate, Gaia, AllTrails, Guthook, ... will let a smart phone tell one where they are.

However, there will be no "search for nearest Walmart" function which does rely on an internet connection.

It is true that a navigation system can have a database of places and addresses, so that a "search for nearest Walmart" can work with the stored database without a cellular connection. I have to laugh though because my new Subaru's nav system could not tell me where the nearby Subaru dealership was on a test drive.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

fsrph wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:30 am Bought my first car GPS from Best Buy, a basic Garmin unit. I'm not sure if it's functioning properly, maybe someone can help. The unit was dead out of of the box which may be from sitting on the shelf. I charged it for about 1.5 to 2 hours. I then used it for under 10 minutes (with it not being plugged in) before it was dead again. Last night, I charged it longer until a full (5 bar) charge was showing. I unplugged the unit and let it sit overnight Didn't use it at all. In the morning turned it on and charge was down to a 1 bar. Is this unit charging/functioning properly? I can take it back to Best Buy but not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal. Thanks.

Francis
Similar issues on my 590. See URLs for a tweak. Maybe your unit is similar. Please post an update if it works.

Picture version:

https://outsider-adventure.blogspot.com ... y-fix.html

URL below is a video doing essentially the same thing but slightly easier. Video is 1/2 way down page.

https://www.totally4bikers.com/blog/bik ... w-minutes/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I buy them. They’re a lot cheaper than buying an unlimited data plan. Also, as others have said, in some places you have no signal, and it frees up your phone to do other things while navigating.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:38 pm
I buy them. They’re a lot cheaper than buying an unlimited data plan. Also, as others have said, in some places you have no signal, and it frees up your phone to do other things while navigating.
As I posted above, you can navigate just fine with a phone's GPS. Using no data. No phone signal required.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:51 pm
As I posted above, you can navigate just fine with a phone's GPS. Using no data. No phone signal required.
Can you play a podcast or e-book on your phone, or take a phone call while the GPS is calling out instructions? Not really.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Thanks, I’ll look into it. Last week my Garmin did not recognize a typed-in residential street address, and it was not a new location. That was a first for me and I’ve been using Garmins since 2007. So I had to resort to my iPhone with data turned on and I must admit it not only recognized that address but it performed better than my Garmin did which surprised me. (I used Apple Maps not Google Maps). But even so I’m going to keep using my Garmin. At least I have a good backup.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

gwe67 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 pm
Can you play a podcast or e-book on your phone, or take a phone call while the GPS is calling out instructions? Not really.
I don't use my phone for podcasts, eBooks, movies, etc. But I do use my phone for texting & phone calls. In my car I can make and receive phone calls and the GPS works just fine.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:14 pm
gwe67 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 pm
I don't use my phone for podcasts, eBooks, movies, etc. But I do use my phone for texting & phone calls. In my car I can make and receive phone calls and the GPS works just fine.
Looks like I'm the only person who owns and uses a Garmin GPS and has answered the OP's actual question. The rest of this conversation is an off-topic sidebar.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 pm
Thanks, I’ll look into it. Last week my Garmin did not recognize a typed-in residential street address, and it was not a new location. That was a first for me and I’ve been using Garmins since 2007. So I had to resort to my iPhone with data turned on and I must admit it not only recognized that address but it performed better than my Garmin did which surprised me. (I used Apple Maps not Google Maps). But even so I’m going to keep using my Garmin. At least I have a good backup.
Back in 2016 my Garmin kept me going in circles when I was trying to find the entrance to a resort in Mediterranean Spain. After a few failed attempts, I switched to my Android using HERE and was astonished how well it worked. Since then, I've ditched my Garmin and have had no issues using my phone. Driving and walking. In the USA and abroad.

The only caveat is to have your phone plugged in when taking a long drive since the phone's GPS will draw down the phone's battery.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

gwe67 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:19 pm Looks like I'm the only person who owns and uses a Garmin GPS and has answered the OP's actual question. The rest of this conversation is an off-topic sidebar.
I too posted solutions. :beer

viewtopic.php?p=6142425#p6142425
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

gwe67 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:19 pm Looks like I'm the only person who owns and uses a Garmin GPS and has answered the OP's actual question. The rest of this conversation is an off-topic sidebar.
Ha! I would take that unit back and ask for a replacement. In my experience Garmin’s batteries don’t last as long as the unit and no way to replace it. That’s a weak point. I’ve had a couple of units where after several years there’s no battery at all left, it has to be plugged in constantly. Then, when you turn off the car, even briefly, you have to reroute.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:22 pm Back in 2016 my Garmin kept me going in circles when I was trying to find the entrance to a resort in Mediterranean Spain. After a few failed attempts, I switched to my Android using HERE and was astonished how well it worked. Since then, I've ditched my Garmin and have had no issues using my phone. Driving and walking. In the USA and abroad.

The only caveat is to have your phone plugged in when taking a long drive since the phone's GPS will draw down the phone's battery.
That is not a device issue, that is most likely due to you having incorrect route settings selected.

One example: A couple I read about had no U-turns selected on their device. They unknowingly took a wrong turn....50 miles later they were right back where they started and confused. As the GPS was not set to allow u-turns it gave them a massive detour to simply turn around. :oops:

My experience...it takes a bit to navigate how Garmins work (well, the Garmin devices I have owned anyway, this is my experience others may differ)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

F150HD wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:28 pm One example: A couple I read about had no U-turns selected on their device. They unknowingly took a wrong turn....50 miles later they were right back where they started and confused. As the GPS was not set to allow u-turns it gave them a massive detour to simply turn around.
Yes you have to be careful with the navigation exclusions as they can be set and easily forgotten. I exclude ferries and unpaved roads, that’s all.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

F150HD wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:28 pm
neilpilot wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:22 pm Back in 2016 my Garmin kept me going in circles when I was trying to find the entrance to a resort in Mediterranean Spain. After a few failed attempts, I switched to my Android using HERE and was astonished how well it worked. Since then, I've ditched my Garmin and have had no issues using my phone. Driving and walking. In the USA and abroad.

That is not a device issue, that is most likely due to you having incorrect route settings selected.

One example: A couple I read about had no U-turns selected on their device. They unknowingly took a wrong turn....50 miles later they were right back where they started and confused. As the GPS was not set to allow u-turns it gave them a massive detour to simply turn around. :oops:

My experience...it takes a bit to navigate how Garmins work (well, the Garmin devices I have owned anyway, this is my experience others may differ)
I'd been using Garmin for years prior to 2016, and that unit which was delivered with USA & EU maps had been updated and used in many European destinations. I later inquired and Garmin acknowledged that there was a mapping issue, which I suppose could also happen with my current phone app.

My point wasn't that Garmin had failed me, but that as a result of the failure I discovered how capable the phone app was. I also found that, when using the phone as a GPS while walking, the phone was far superior to the Garmin. The phone GPS was typically rock solid, while the Garmin had a tendency to loose signal in urban areas.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:37 pm the Garmin had a tendency to lose signal in urban areas
My experience also in the canyons of the great city of Chicago.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

HomerJ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:44 pm Technically, it's not ALWAYS there on your phone. You get out of cell tower coverage, and your phone Maps app stops working.

Your statement is correct for the original iPhone from 2007. Every iPhone (and probably every Android phone) since then does have GPS built-in. Cell towers and wifi networks are used to augment the GPS signal for location. Whether the mapping data is available/downloaded is a different matter.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Also, there are third-party GPS apps that let you download entire "chunks" of map data (whole states, or entire European countries, etc... limited just by how much memory you want to use up). Then you can do all the routing and navigation 100% offline. It basically turns your phone into a Garmin, for free.

I used MapFactor Navigator several years ago to get around Europe, where my phone's data plan wouldn't work, and it turned out great. This was back when Google didn't let you download maps--or if it did, you couldn't do routing offline still. (Can you now?) The main disadvantage, as with all offline tools, is that you don't get traffic info, nor can it take traffic into account when routing/re-routing.

But yeah, I get the appeal of having a purpose-built, standalone device. Heck, I still use an iPod in my car.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Californiastate

You still need a map. I use Gaia for hiking, offroading etc. It's on my phone but I still need to download maps while on a good WIFI. Otherwise it's a location on a blank canvas while offline.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I still use my automotive Garmin. Assuming a Garmin has less memory than a cell phone, why can't we just download an 8 or 12 or whatever GB app with data and have a Garmin? It would need some kind of antenna and receiver for the lifetime offline traffic I suppose, but otherwise what's preventing that, other than that apparently Garmin hasn't provided the app?
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:26 pm I still use my automotive Garmin. Assuming a Garmin has less memory than a cell phone, why can't we just download an 8 or 12 or whatever GB app with data and have a Garmin? It would need some kind of antenna and receiver for the lifetime offline traffic I suppose, but otherwise what's preventing that, other than that apparently Garmin hasn't provided the app?
That would be a great idea if Garmin could monetize it, and if Apple would allow external memory cards in their phones. My Garmin needs a large memory card to hold the map data.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Californiastate wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:17 pm
You still need a map. I use Gaia for hiking, offroading etc. It's on my phone but I still need to download maps while on a good WIFI. Otherwise it's a location on a blank canvas while offline.
So easy to get a map beforehand. Example - you going to Spain, then entire country is under 1G. The entire USA is 5G. Not a lot of memory for a modern phone, and easily erased after the trip.
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Just giving an update. The charging issue was mostly caused by me not thoroughly reading the directions. First, when shutting the unit off, I didn't hold the on/off button for 4 seconds to completely shut off the device. Also, what I thought was the charge indicator (with 5 or 6 bars) was actually the signal strength for the GPS satellites. It's working properly.

Francis
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Thanks for the update. It's nice that it seems to be working for you.
urban

Post by urban »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:26 pm In my experience Garmin’s batteries don’t last as long as the unit and no way to replace it. That’s a weak point.
Actually there is a way to replace Garmin's batteries, at least in my Nuvi. I am speaking from a personal experience. You have to have an appropriate screwdriver, and work very carefully. There are some YT videos. Amazon and others sells replacement batteries, and kits with batteries and a screwdrivers together.