No mail since Thursday - Informed Delivery reporting?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
michaeljc70

No mail since Thursday - Informed Delivery reporting?

Post by michaeljc70 »

I haven't received any mail since Thursday. According to Informed Delivery, I should have received 10 pieces of mail (including a replacement credit card). I have marked them as not received on the dashboard. I am wondering if that does anything on an individual level or is just used for high level statistics.

I don't think there is much point in calling as there are widespread reports of issues in my city and they don't seem to care.
bob60014

Re: No mail since Thursday - Informed Delivery reporting?

Post by bob60014 »

From their faq,
"Users can click the checkbox under the specific image in their dashboard to indicate that a mailpiece was not received. This information is routed to the U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) and/or the Office of Inspector General (OIG) for investigative purposes. No additional action is taken; these submissions do not result in any search activity or customer response."

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Informed ... t%20Office.

FWIW, most of our mail goes through the Palatine PDC. We just received a Christmas card mailed from the UK on Dec 10th and DW just received a birthday card mailed on June15th from a friend living a mile away. Go figure.
Last edited by bob60014 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am I haven't received any mail since Thursday. According to Informed Delivery, I should have received 10 pieces of mail (including a replacement credit card).
I would go to the post office delivering your mail, and ask if someone accidentally put a hold on your mail. If you don’t receive the CC within a week from when it was supposed to be delivered, I would call the CC accompany and ask them how they want you to handle it (wait or yet another replacement).
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am I haven't received any mail since Thursday. According to Informed Delivery, I should have received 10 pieces of mail (including a replacement credit card). I have marked them as not received on the dashboard. I am wondering if that does anything on an individual level or is just used for high level statistics.

I don't think there is much point in calling as there are widespread reports of issues in my city and they don't seem to care.
Informed Delivery merely lets you know a piece of mail has passed through the regional processing and distribution facility (where the sorters and scanners are), not your local post office--unless they are combined facilities. Usually it passes through the delivering post office the same day, sometimes not.

For delivery issues, contact your delivering post office.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Call your local postmaster. There are a LOT of shenanigans happening with the mail lately.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

8foot7 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:22 am Call your local postmaster. There are a LOT of shenanigans happening with the mail lately.
Nonsense. The Post Office is having problems, but I’m not aware of any creditable reports of shenanigans.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

criticalmass wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:12 am For delivery issues, contact your delivering post office.
+1.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

In my NM town, the local post office is intentionally not delivering mail on a daily basis, claiming that there is a lack of workers.

So people end up getting a week’s worth of mail on Friday, or on Tuesday, or the like.

Post by 123 »

In our area the classic reason for late mail is when it is misdelivered to another address, returned, resorted, and then delivered to us. That seems to add at least 3 or 4 days.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Random Poster wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 pm In my NM town, the local post office is intentionally not delivering mail on a daily basis, claiming that there is a lack of workers.

So people end up getting a week’s worth of mail on Friday, or on Tuesday, or the like.
Does that apply to packages (e.g. medicine)?
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 pm
Random Poster wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 pm In my NM town, the local post office is intentionally not delivering mail on a daily basis, claiming that there is a lack of workers.

Does that apply to packages (e.g. medicine)?
It appears to apply to everything that does not have a tracking number.

Items with tracking numbers seem to be getting delivered on a somewhat timely basis.
AAA

Post by AAA »

My wife's friend sent her a letter. We expected it to arrive one day soon after, based on my Informed Delivery report with a photo of the envelope. It arrived a little over a week later.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Wondering if there is some coordinated subterfuge by postal workers. DS has been getting notices that no one home to accept deliveries despite him watching the postal worker on camera who has made no attempt to bring the item to the house nor knock on door, as DS works from home. He then has to go to the Post Office to pick up the item.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Carl53 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:55 pm Wondering if there is some coordinated subterfuge by postal workers. DS has been getting notices that no one home to accept deliveries despite him watching the postal worker on camera who has made no attempt to bring the item to the house nor knock on door, as DS works from home. He then has to go to the Post Office to pick up the item.
I was wondering the same. Is this a shortage of workers at the processing facilities? A shortage of delivery people? Delivery people sleeping in their trucks all day? Even if, due to Covid, they were shorthanded it seems like it wouldn't be this bad. 3 days with no mail is pretty bad.

BTW...I did get most of the mail I was expecting today.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Carl53 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:55 pm Wondering if there is some coordinated subterfuge by postal workers. DS has been getting notices that no one home to accept deliveries despite him watching the postal worker on camera who has made no attempt to bring the item to the house nor knock on door, as DS works from home. He then has to go to the Post Office to pick up the item.
Well, since you have this on video, I would report it to the USPS office of inspector general as employee misconduct: https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/file-online-complaint . There are bad employees, just like any business. But that is very different than coordinated subterfuge.
wander

Post by wander »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:05 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am I haven't received any mail since Thursday. According to Informed Delivery, I should have received 10 pieces of mail (including a replacement credit card).
I would go to the post office delivering your mail, and ask if someone accidentally put a hold on your mail. If you don’t receive the CC within a week from when it was supposed to be delivered, I would call the CC accompany and ask them how they want you to handle it (wait or yet another replacement).
Local office is useless on this. It happened to me before. When I went to local post office because some of our friends mailed us holiday cards (we saw pictures of the envelopes on the Email), people at the office told us to wait; after a few days, when we came back they said they did not have any status; after a few weeks, our friends told us the mails were returned.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 pm
I was wondering the same. Is this a shortage of workers at the processing facilities? A shortage of delivery people? Delivery people sleeping in their trucks all day? Even if, due to Covid, they were shorthanded it seems like it wouldn't be this bad. 3 days with no mail is pretty bad.

Postal workers are federal workers, but they didn't get the opportunity to work from home like other federal workers. Many of them are upset about that and feel that their jobs are more risky. So I believe they have been burning down their leave time.
wander

Post by wander »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:56 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 pm

Postal workers are federal workers, but they didn't get the opportunity to work from home like other federal workers. Many of them are upset about that and feel that their jobs are more risky. So I believe they have been burning down their leave time.
That's mostly true. But people who work at service centers are working from home and answering complaint calls from their homes like any other agency.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

wander wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 am
prd1982 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:05 am
Local office is useless on this. It happened to me before. When I went to local post office because some of our friends mailed us holiday cards (we saw pictures of the envelopes on the Email), people at the office told us to wait; after a few days, when we came back they said they did not have any status; after a few weeks, our friends told us the mails were returned.
Note that I explicitly said to ask about a hold on the account. I agree the local post office cannot help with the problem of a piece of mail not being delivered.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

This is not a piece of missing mail. This is no mail being delivered for 3 days in a row. I also believe this is a systemic problem-meaning no one/most people in my area got no mail for three days. They removed the Postmaster here last month due to so many problems. Note, she was removed...not fired. She was moved to another city.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:14 am
8foot7 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:22 am Call your local postmaster. There are a LOT of shenanigans happening with the mail lately.
Nonsense. The Post Office is having problems, but I’m not aware of any creditable reports of shenanigans.
What about hijinks? Or monkey business? Perhaps Tomfoolery? :D

Seriously though, I've had something similar happen to me a few times before, although not for that many days. I'll see things show up in Informed Delivery, but not actually get to my mailbox until a day or two later.

My guess is that your regular letter carrier is out or there's something else that's temporarily throwing off mail on your part of the route (given that your neighbors are experiencing the same issue).
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"