Best Wellness Retreats - or how to recreate one

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
UserFace

Best Wellness Retreats - or how to recreate one

Post by UserFace »

Hi All,

Years ago, after a particularly difficult year, I booked a stay at Miraval Resort in Arizona, and though it was very expensive and I am not a fancy guy, it was just what the doctor ordered and worth the price. My partner and I are both in the throes of major burnout and are in need of some recovery. We have two weeks off coming up in September and are looking to do something similar to Miraval. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on wellness retreats in the US that would be comparable or better than Miraval, or ideas for how we could recreate a similar experience for less money. We'd be willing to put in a little bit of effort for a DIY experience, though too much effort and it defeats the purpose. These are the aspects of Miraval I think would be important aspects of the experience:
  • Beautiful locale/access to nature
    Comfortable accommodations - i.e. king size bed, nice sheets/linens
    Easy access to delicious, healthy meals
    Access to a good quality gym/exercise studio. Classes/instruction not necessary
    Access to a hot tub and pool would be strongly preferred
    Access to some sort of spa/body work would be nice but not necessary
For context, prices for Miraval right now are $1600+/night (!) for two people, which includes is all inclusive and includes plenty of resort credits. What should we do instead? From the Bay area if that matters. I appreciate any ideas!
Shackleton

Re: Best Wellness Retreats - or how to recreate one

Post by Shackleton »

Cavallo Point in Marin was the first thing that came to mind for me. But it’s not really a “wellness retreat” as much as a wonderful place with a great relaxation pool and spa and nice hikes, including one hike that tells you the history of Fort Baker (where it’s located) through an audio tour over your cell phone. It’s right in your backyard, so may not seem special enough but I highly recommend it for a long weekend if nothing else. I believe one of the restaurants has a Michelin star.

https://www.cavallopoint.com/
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

One to consider
https://www.redmountainresort.com/

So, this would emphasize the great outdoors, Red Rock edition. Red Mountain sits at the mouth of Snow Canyon State Park. Two National Parks in driving distance, Zion and its branch, Kolob Canyon, and Bryce Canyon, tho a bit farther (probably better overnight trip). One Nevada State Park for an easy day trip (Valley of Fire). Utah Shakespeare Festival should still be open, and near it Cedar Breaks National Monument. Fly into Vegas, rent a car, see Valley of Fire coming or going, have your own wheels while at Red Mountain.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Whenever we are in the NY area we try and spend a few days at Mohonk Mountain House https://www.mohonk.com/
It's a great place to switch off and unwind with plenty of things to do.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Tag. I would be interested in too! Perhaps also experiences outside of the US?
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

I would think there are many resorts in Hawaii that would fit the bill.
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Significantly less expensive: Vichy Springs in Ukiah. Note that there is no internet or TV, so you are really going to retreat.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Ten Thousand Waves in Santa Fe would fit the bill quite nicely.

Outside the US I would look at the Aquadome in Austria.
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Looked up Canyon Ranch. While it is probably excellent, it is ridiculously expensive, far more than even a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons resort, like 2-3x as much, and that's before services. Wow.

Guess you need to be wealthy to relax. Not in the cards for me. Not even close.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

What is it with these glorified vacations recently? ;)
Anyway, here is another recent thread that may be of use.

viewtopic.php?t=403137
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I sent you some suggestions by DM. Both spas and DIY.
FedFTE

Post by FedFTE »

consider a cruise trip. We recently did a 7 day cruise on Celebrity and didn't take the internet plan. The ship had top notch gym, fitness classes, spa options, sauna, hot pools, etc and some really great entertainment. The sea days were the best. You could look at the ocean for hours and nap on a lounger in your own balcony. I will highly recommend it.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

FedFTE wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:44 pm consider a cruise trip. We recently did a 7 day cruise on Celebrity and didn't take the internet plan. The ship had top notch gym, fitness classes, spa options, sauna, hot pools, etc and some really great entertainment. The sea days were the best. You could look at the ocean for hours and nap on a lounger in your own balcony. I will highly recommend it.
This^^^
Leave the ship’s phone # with a relative in case of an emergency. Otherwise be off the grid… works wonders!