Another Where to Retire Thread - Waterfront Towns?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Soaker

Re: Another Where to Retire Thread - Waterfront Towns?

Post by Soaker »

loggerboots wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:04 pm St. Augustine was beautiful as well but the incessant touristy vibe got old real quick. Beautiful city a bit ruined by rampant tourism, at least for me.
Having lived at Lake Tahoe for a dozen years now after ER, I agree that "incessant touristy vibe" is something that starts to wear thin after a number of years. More so than snow, which I had never dealt with before but adapted to rather quickly and don't consider much of an issue any more. I still enjoy Tahoe but I read these threads because I know I'll be headed somewhere else in the not-that-distant future.
elle

Post by elle »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:18 pm
elle wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm 1.5-2 hour drive to Boston for medical care
That doesn't sound like "far" in terms of time but I can attest that it adds up over time. Consider also what it means for an aging spouse who might have to do all the driving both ways.

That's our range to a hospital in Baltimore on a good day. Annapolis is a bit closer but despite being a good hospital it is not in the same league as UMB or Hopkins. I have two friends who barely made it in time for acute cardiac care. One surgeon said that if he weren't in such good physical shape to begin with he would have never made it to the table.
Very true. My mother had breast cancer when we lived in Falmouth and although they went to Boston for second/third opinions, ultimately they decided to go to cape cod hospital for treatment given the toll it would take on them both. Good thing both had proposed almost identical treatment plans.
tonysk

Post by tonysk »

If you’re adventurous, Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. Gorgeous setting and you can’t get more affordable.
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

MDfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:17 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:23 pm I’ll put a plug in for the home team- Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

It will take more than what you’ve budgeted for to buy a small home w/in a 5 minute walk of the ocean, but I’ve been to countless beach towns all over the country and there are only a handful that fall into the same category of charm Rehoboth has IMHO. Just to the north, Lewes, is very hot these days too. I’m pretty sure it made the Coastal Living list of best costal towns that came out recently, and for good reason. It’s top notch.
Just don't try to drive anywhere near there from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The Maryland and Delaware beaches are great from September to May. Not so much in the summer.
We’ve heard of Rehoboth and Lewis and they look great but probably not within reach, price-wise.

2marshmallow
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

phxjcc wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 pm 2-2500 sq ft SFH 10 min walk to beach?

Before the recent RE price surge, maybe Oceano or Cayucos, Ca. Now, I doubt it. Small old bungalow might be found in MORRO BAY, but they were 600K for 1000 sq ft 3 years ago.
That's why folks are moving to a LCOL area where your money buys so much more.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:37 pm
2marshmallow wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:26 pm
livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:23 pm Frisco, CO on Dillon Reservoir. Not ocean. Not warm. But walk to stores.
Will take a look, thanks! I've greatly enjoyed CO whenever I've visited.

2marshmallow
Living at high altitude is not for everyone. Over 9000 feet at Frisco.

It's a gorgeous location in the summer but unless you like snow ans cold, you might want to give it a pass. The average low temperature in January is 5 degrees. 😀
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

friar1610 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 pm We live one town over from Scituate, MA. We walk our dog at Humarock Beach there. But here’s a few North Shore suggestions:
- Newburyport. My daughter and her family live there and love it (although they’re at a different life stage than you are).
- Marblehead
- Portsmouth, NH

You’re obviously familiar with the South Shore. Have you considered Plymouth?
Never had the time to look at Plymouth, but probably should, thx.

2marshmallow
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

phxjcc wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 pm 2-2500 sq ft SFH 10 min walk to beach?

Before the recent RE price surge, maybe Oceano or Cayucos, Ca. Now, I doubt it. Small old bungalow might be found in MORRO BAY, but they were 600K for 1000 sq ft 3 years ago.
Yes, most places in CA are out of reach for us, with our desired criteria.

2marshmallow
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

tonysk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 pm If you’re adventurous, Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. Gorgeous setting and you can’t get more affordable.
If we open the rest of the world up, the possibilities become much larger, even untenable. I don't think we want to buy outside the US; visit definitely, but buy - probably not. Thx.

2marshmallow
frazil

Post by frazil »

I've lived in MA South Shore for 20+ years. Different stage of life (raising family, not retired) but seems to be very popular with retirees as well. Beautiful area, we love it. Summer is spectacular, just wish it lasted twice as long. Fall pretty nice. Winters/spring are long and a bit bleak, especially if you don't have an escape (either somewhere warm/sunny, or in our case we go north to ski etc.) There is not much snow in coastal towns like Scituate (with rare exception, a few inches now and then, and you might get a big dump of 1-2 feet during a nor'easter but it rarely sticks around for more than a couple of days and is usually followed by rain...) If you are keen on boating be aware that most harbors are full and have long (in some cases decades long) wait lists for moorings or slips. Keep your eyes open about sea level rise and coastal flooding. I believe Scituate has the highest repetitive loss rate from flooding in the state (or it is up there.) Same with nearby towns. We haven't had many big storms lately so I think people (residents/developers/regulators) have gotten a bit complacent, but you would do well to make sure you don't buy property in a flood zone. Most MLS sites (like realtor.com, redfin etc) now allow you to see the flood hazard rating for any property listed. Others have commented but easy access to Boston amenities, world class medical care (both in Boston and South Shore hospital is first rate) and international airport very easy from here - and may be what keeps us here rather than moving further out (where our dollar would go further) when we reach retirement.

edit to add: we also lived in Falmouth for a year. While really wonderful in the summer, it is very quiet the rest of the year, lots of houses are empty many stores and restaurants close, and it felt very isolated and deserted to us. This was over a decade ago, so maybe it has changed, but I would not have wanted to retire or live full time there (or anywhere on the cape really.)
D Newton

Post by D Newton »

I live in Lewes. Wonderful small coastal town. Lots of biking paths nearby and path to Rehoboth Beach, restaurants, especially in Rehoboth Beach. Golf courses nearby; Ocean CIty, MD is about 35 minute drive, and be twice as long in summer. Lewes has gotten a bit pricey the last few years and development in surrounding area is nearly out of control. Taxes are low compared to many surrounding states.
Regards, | Doug
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

2marshmallow wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:30 pm Lot's of good information and suggestions. Some are already on our radar and some new places to consider. Suggestions of health care and airports are also important items I left off the list of wants and needs.

2marshmallow
Do you care about climate at all -- either hate the heat or cold? I too grew up in New England but much prefer warmer weather, especially as I age. I was just up there on a trip and it was cold for summer (60's) and raining quite a bit. I also like having a bit more sunlight/longer days in the winter.

Also, for health care, are you healthy with a good family history? I'd always like to be next to world class health care myself but to me it seems a bit over-emphasized on here assuming one is healthy. One of my friend's has had a lot of medical issues and was going to Boston, but then decided to go MN (Mayo) for certain treatment. He and his family were blown away by the Mayo. So even if you're next door to world class care, you still may want to travel for specific treatment.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Old Saybrook CT. $800k will buy you a really nice home in a waterfront neighborhood like North Cove. A small and somewhat charming town is right down the road. NY and Boston both 2 hours away, and Amtrak and CT rail service go through town. Not overly busy in the Summer and not totally dead in the Winter.
pescador

Post by pescador »

Bellingham WA. Close to beautiful Cascade mountains water and Vancouver.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:53 pmCleveland!
I was looking at Lake Erie as I read this
02nz

Post by 02nz »

OP, for a lot of the places suggested, you'll need to make sure you can tolerate humidity. For many people used to the relatively dryness of the western US, the humidity of much of the midwestern, eastern, and southeastern US is pretty unbearable.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

vested1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 am A relative just bought a single story SFH in a Del Webb community in Bluffton SC for about 1/3 of what your budget is. 3 bed 2 bath, 2,400 sq feet, totally remodeled, 7 years old. The community has 6 swimming pools, tennis, pickleball, and golf. Shopping and restaurants are good, as is health care. Hilton Head is another possibility close by, which is still within your budget, in walking distance to the ocean, and of course home to world class golf.

I know a lot of people who live in that community, Sun City. I believe it is the 2nd largest +55 community on the East Coast, after the Villages. Pretty much everyone I know really likes it, there is a lot to do.

I have to say, though, that healthcare in the Bluffton/HHI area is not that good in my view. There has been explosive growth, skewing older, and there really aren’t enough Doctors to go around. A lot of the good ones have gone concierge, and God help you if you need a dermatologist. It is probably going to get worse as they can’t build fast enough in Bluffton and Hardeeville.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'll focus on a couple general areas. Some have been mentioned.

Falmouth and Hyannis. Seem like the first place anyone would look on the lower cape.
Sandwich: Less obvious, cheaper and less busy although less of a town feel compared with the above.
You may want to drive around the lower cape. I've both vacationed there and visited clients for business (yes, there are businesses on the cape that don't sell quahogs). Including the mainland along the canal and north/south of the canal would be worthwhile visits, I think.

Outside Mass, Laconia, NH. Right on Winnipesaukee. Not far away, lake Winnisquam is quieter (and less things to hit in the lake), but no real town there.

Besides perhaps Hyannis, I think you can get a small house right on the water. Falmouth has all the little finger inlets, some with town beaches, making it a good potential to find a water front house that's not going to get clobbered when an ocean storm comes in.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
vested1

Post by vested1 »

abner kravitz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:21 pm
vested1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 am A relative just bought a single story SFH in a Del Webb community in Bluffton SC for about 1/3 of what your budget is. 3 bed 2 bath, 2,400 sq feet, totally remodeled, 7 years old. The community has 6 swimming pools, tennis, pickleball, and golf. Shopping and restaurants are good, as is health care. Hilton Head is another possibility close by, which is still within your budget, in walking distance to the ocean, and of course home to world class golf.

I know a lot of people who live in that community, Sun City. I believe it is the 2nd largest +55 community on the East Coast, after the Villages. Pretty much everyone I know really likes it, there is a lot to do.

I have to say, though, that healthcare in the Bluffton/HHI area is not that good in my view. There has been explosive growth, skewing older, and there really aren’t enough Doctors to go around. A lot of the good ones have gone concierge, and God help you if you need a dermatologist. It is probably going to get worse as they can’t build fast enough in Bluffton and Hardeeville.
The relative I referred to went concierge, even though he and his wife are on Medicare. He thinks it's great, but for me, justifying that additional cost would be difficult. My mention of great healthcare was obviously premature and ill informed. Thank you for correcting that second hand opinion.

The concierge phenomena took hold where I came from, and in my opinion destroyed the already sparse access to good doctors that already existed.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

elle wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm 1.5-2 hour drive to Boston for medical care
That doesn't sound like "far" in terms of time but I can attest that it adds up over time. Consider also what it means for an aging spouse who might have to do all the driving both ways.

That's our range to a hospital in Baltimore on a good day. Annapolis is a bit closer but despite being a good hospital it is not in the same league as UMB or Hopkins. I have two friends who barely made it in time for acute cardiac care. One surgeon said that if he weren't in such good physical shape to begin with he would have never made it to the table.
Just to be clear, there are medical facilities and health care providers in the Falmouth area, including Falmouth Hospital (right in Falmouth), Cape Cod Hospital (in Hyannis), and Beth Israel Deaconess (Plymouth). As was pointed out by TomatoTomahto, world-class medical facilities are located in Boston, which is roughly 1.5 hours away from Falmouth, depending on time of day and season.

If you consider moving back to MA, check out the Pinehills community in Plymouth. It has a large variety of homes, including two "neighborhoods" for those who are 55 and over, and every type of amenity available. Not going to walk to the beach from there, but there are several neighborhoods on the ridge area where you can see the ocean (just about two miles away as the crow flies). A number of our neighbors (DW and I live in the Pinehills) moved here from Scituate and Duxbury, which are located to the north, toward Boston. Plymouth has a number of nice restaurants, which can be quite busy in the "summah." And, it's only 7 miles down Route 3 to reach Cape Cod.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

2marshmallow wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:20 pm I hope another retirement location thread can be tolerated, because DW and I retired earlier this year at 61 and 64 and are now looking at where to relocate. We don't want to spend the rest of our lives in San Jose, CA which we find too urban - trash, homelessness, crime, noise, etc. We are not motivated by wanting to be near children or other relatives and our preference is for a waterfront community, town or small city. Near the ocean is nice, but we would also consider lakes, rivers, etc. We would not want to be directly on the ocean because of storm surge issues and high insurance rates, and I don't think our budget will allow for direct oceanfront anyway. Speaking of budget, it is only what we can afford to pay in cash, which is $1.25M or maybe stretch to $1.5M. Prefer single family to condo, and maybe 3bed/2ba, maybe 2000 to 2500 sf or so. Over 55 communities also considered.

Absolute ideal would be a 5 to 10 min walk to the ocean and also 5 to 10 min walk to town or small city center that has some charm. Places we have been to and like are Chatham, MA, Scituate, MA, Little Compton, RI (maybe too small/rural), Annapolis MD, Avila Beach, CA, Santa Barbara, CA (not really affordable, but we like it :happy ).

2marshmallow
You could look at Carpinteria, CA - a small town about 10 minutes south of Santa Barbara. It does have a cute downtown, and there are cottages in town where you can walk to the beach. If you want to have a little more space, there are properties that are further from the beach, but certainly bikeable.

Another option: Watsonville, CA. Much more agricultural, not "pretty" when I was there years ago. But maybe? Ditto Santa Cruz, but anything there would be small. They also have problems with homeless encampments.

Inland, you have the entire California Delta region, from Sacramento to Stockton. Towns along the way: Woodland CA, Locke, and Discovery Bay. All are small, and may not have a town center "walkable" in quite the sophistication you want, but you can find waterfront property for under $1M. Discovery Bay is a real development, with several hundred houses on the water, and the loca strip mall development on the highway nearby (1 mile away) has a lovely grocery store, a pharmacy, a UPS store and Wells Fargo ATM.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

I love Frisco, CO, but I"ve only been there in the summer. All the locations mentioned around Puget Sound are good prospects, but I lived in Seattle for 8 years in my 20's, and the dark was tough even then. I couldn't do it now. Burlington, VT is nice, but, again....winter.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Corpus Christi, TX is a LCOL beach town.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

How about the New London/Groton CT area?
Big FRANK

Post by Big FRANK »

Lakes region NH. Check out Meredith and Wolfeboro. 2 lakes in both towns. Nice main streets with local restaurants and shops.
kabob

Post by kabob »

Yucatán Peninsula, Belize, maybe even Vietnam...
Somea the Best Medical, Dental in the World & $$$$ go a Looooooooong Way!
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:30 pm With your budget, you can get a really nice place in lots of coastal cites on both the east and west coast of Florida, a no-income tax state. There's also no inheritance or estate tax in Florida. And, since it's basically a LCOL state, your money will go so much further than it does in CA.
+1 got a place on Sanibel Island, Fl I believe all houses on the island are a 15 minute walk to the ocean/gulf. 2/3 of the island is in conservation.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Ramjet wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:07 pm
I'm considering Cleveland also. We have family there - and the more I visit, the more the city grows on me. I don't necessarily need to be on the lake. I'd like a more quiet location with proximity to the excellent Metro Parks system. I'm used to cold/snow - I can always bop down to Key West or the like on an as-need basis.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

pahkcah wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 pm

Just to be clear, there are medical facilities and health care providers in the Falmouth area, including Falmouth Hospital (right in Falmouth), Cape Cod Hospital (in Hyannis), and Beth Israel Deaconess (Plymouth). As was pointed out by TomatoTomahto, world-class medical facilities are located in Boston, which is roughly 1.5 hours away from Falmouth, depending on time of day and season.

If you consider moving back to MA, check out the Pinehills community in Plymouth. It has a large variety of homes, including two "neighborhoods" for those who are 55 and over, and every type of amenity available. Not going to walk to the beach from there, but there are several neighborhoods on the ridge area where you can see the ocean (just about two miles away as the crow flies). A number of our neighbors (DW and I live in the Pinehills) moved here from Scituate and Duxbury, which are located to the north, toward Boston. Plymouth has a number of nice restaurants, which can be quite busy in the "summah." And, it's only 7 miles down Route 3 to reach Cape Cod.
We actually considered moving back to the Boston area (lived there in the 80s and 90s); the year we thought seriously about it was a record snowfall winter so we nixed it. If we move back to the city it will be greater DC - somewhere like Bethesda/Silver Springs.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Bayfield, Wi
Grand Marais, Mn
Egg Harbor, Baily's Harbor, Fish Creek, Wi
Sandusky, Oh
Seaside, Fl

Lots of options outside the US. The us isn't very walkable, as we all know.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Hilton Head Island. You will not get ocean front at 1.5 but pretty close. Housing prices have gone crazy in the last year. We’re up over $300,000 from what we paid in 2015 and we’re on the fifth row from the ocean. Note though, on HHI, as in much of the southeast, you’ll also be buying heat, humidity, mosquitoes, and some venomous snakes. But, all in all we’re happy there in one of the gated communities.

Let me add to the comments above about healthcare in the HHI/Bluffton area. It’s not great. We went concierge and thats worked for us. Hilton Head Hospital has only 95 beds and for most higher level specialist treatment you need to go Savannah or up to the Medical College of South Carolina in Charleston. If you have special medical needs HHI is not for you.
pjhalifax

Post by pjhalifax »

Jumping on the coastal SC train, you might check out Beaufort, SC, if HHI or Bluffton pique your interest. A little quieter and less congested over here. :happy Nice little downtown waterfront area, and about 15-20 minutes out to Hunting Island state park, an undeveloped barrier island with a nice beach.

My mom lives in Sun City and is very happy there. Agree with the folks talking about the healthcare scene here, though. It's hit or miss, and like someone said, the dermatologists in particular are a pain to deal with.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Bluffton is hardly less congested and in fact is the fastest growing municipality in SC over 2,500. All the big box stores that Hilton Head doesn’t allow wound up in Bluffton for better or for worse.
pjhalifax

Post by pjhalifax »

Old Guy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:31 pm Bluffton is hardly less congested and in fact is the fastest growing municipality in SC over 2,500. All the big box stores that Hilton Head doesn’t allow wound up in Bluffton for better or for worse.
If you're responding to my post, I meant Beaufort is less congested. I agree - Bluffton is quickly becoming a mess.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

My wife’s bestie lives in Newburyport, MA, and loves it there. It’s a beautiful place. I love that they live there because I love visiting. But as far as actually living there, it’s also about 2 hours to Boston to see a specialist. And winter is totally a thing. I’ve seen pictures where the snow was halfway up their living room window. This has happened more than once.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Colorado13 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:59 am
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:37 pm
2marshmallow wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:26 pm
livesoft wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:23 pm Frisco, CO on Dillon Reservoir. Not ocean. Not warm. But walk to stores.
Will take a look, thanks! I've greatly enjoyed CO whenever I've visited.

2marshmallow
Living at high altitude is not for everyone. Over 9000 feet at Frisco.

It's a gorgeous location in the summer but unless you like snow ans cold, you might want to give it a pass. The average low temperature in January is 5 degrees. 😀
Yes, Frisco is lovely in the summer, but is also one of the coldest places in the US in the winter.
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:12 pm OP, for a lot of the places suggested, you'll need to make sure you can tolerate humidity. For many people used to the relatively dryness of the western US, the humidity of much of the midwestern, eastern, and southeastern US is pretty unbearable.
Yes, something to think about. If we find a place that looks like a favorite, we will go there at the worst possible time for a few weeks and see how we feel about it. DW thrives on humidity, as she is from a tropical island with humidity that is probably as high as anywhere in the US. I on the other hand, slow down to a crawl.

2marshmallow
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

MoonOrb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:39 am How about the New London/Groton CT area?
Next time we are in New England we will venture farther south to the CT coast. Someone mentioned Old Saybrook also.

2marshmallow
Lars_2013

Post by Lars_2013 »

2marshmallow wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:56 pm
MDfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:17 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:23 pm I’ll put a plug in for the home team- Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

It will take more than what you’ve budgeted for to buy a small home w/in a 5 minute walk of the ocean, but I’ve been to countless beach towns all over the country and there are only a handful that fall into the same category of charm Rehoboth has IMHO. Just to the north, Lewes, is very hot these days too. I’m pretty sure it made the Coastal Living list of best costal towns that came out recently, and for good reason. It’s top notch.
Just don't try to drive anywhere near there from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The Maryland and Delaware beaches are great from September to May. Not so much in the summer.
We’ve heard of Rehoboth and Lewis and they look great but probably not within reach, price-wise.

2marshmallow
I just looked and there seems to be some stuff in Rehoboth in your price, sq ft, and distance to beach range. See, for example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3831 ... 8470_zpid/ But, I agree with the other commentators that the traffic is a mess in the summer.

We just visited a cousin in Cape May, NJ. Lovely town, but everything (stores, restaurants, getting to Philly, etc) is expensive. I'm not sure how much Rehoboth suffers from the same problems.

I've never been, but there's people who love St. Mary's City, Maryland. But it's much farther than, say, Annapolis, from good hospitals and all that DC/Baltimore offers. There's parts of the Annapolis area that are both near water and more affordable (see, for example, this large, lovely house in Highland Beach: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1267 ... 8113_zpid/ ), but they're probably not walking distance from downtown Annapolis.

I suppose Tappahannock, VA may meet your criteria. It's way too small a town for my taste, but it may fit yours. And at your west-coast budget, you can get a historic mansion (https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/218- ... 4959_zpid/) or anything else you like there.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

How about San Luis Obispo instead of Avila Beach? Better weather and you can always pop over the hill to either Pismo Beach or Avila Beach. Real estate would probably fit your numbers. Just was in San Luis Obispo and it was gorgeous. Highs in mid-upper 70s. No bugs or humidity.

Also, Avila and Pismo were totally overrun last weekend. No place to park at all.
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

elle wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm
2marshmallow wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:27 pm
GoldenFinch wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:28 pm Woods Hole, MA. Nice community.
Next time we're in MA we will check it out. I'm from MA so we go there now and then.

2marshmallow
If MA is on the table, I'd also suggest this neighborhood in North Falmouth or new silver beach - has a private beach, tennis court. Drive to town center.
https://www.redfin.com/city/24303/MA/No ... :-70.64165

1.5-2 hour drive to Boston for medical care or airport (worse in the summer). Providence airport is actually closer, but less routes.

I also love York, ME for its wide beaches and less traffic. similar drive times. I wouldn't do either unless I was a snow bird though. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with snow ever again.
North Falmouth looks very interesting! Someone did point out the desolation of the Cape in the winter months - something we will have to experiment with - maybe visit this winter.

2marshmallow
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

Firemenot wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 pm How about San Luis Obispo instead of Avila Beach? Better weather and you can always pop over the hill to either Pismo Beach or Avila Beach. Real estate would probably fit your numbers. Just was in San Luis Obispo and it was gorgeous. Highs in mid-upper 70s. No bugs or humidity.

Also, Avila and Pismo were totally overrun last weekend. No place to park at all.
San Luis is a beautiful town, no doubt. If we take away the oceanfront towns, there are many possibilities!

2marshmallow
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:31 am
I'm considering Cleveland also. We have family there - and the more I visit, the more the city grows on me. I don't necessarily need to be on the lake. I'd like a more quiet location with proximity to the excellent Metro Parks system. I'm used to cold/snow - I can always bop down to Key West or the like on an as-need basis.
DW visited Cleveland a couple of times for business and had very positive impressions.

2marshmallow
Topic Author
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

Sandi_k wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:31 pm
2marshmallow wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:20 pm I hope another retirement location thread can be tolerated, because DW and I retired earlier this year at 61 and 64 and are now looking at where to relocate. We don't want to spend the rest of our lives in San Jose, CA which we find too urban - trash, homelessness, crime, noise, etc. We are not motivated by wanting to be near children or other relatives and our preference is for a waterfront community, town or small city. Near the ocean is nice, but we would also consider lakes, rivers, etc. We would not want to be directly on the ocean because of storm surge issues and high insurance rates, and I don't think our budget will allow for direct oceanfront anyway. Speaking of budget, it is only what we can afford to pay in cash, which is $1.25M or maybe stretch to $1.5M. Prefer single family to condo, and maybe 3bed/2ba, maybe 2000 to 2500 sf or so. Over 55 communities also considered.

Absolute ideal would be a 5 to 10 min walk to the ocean and also 5 to 10 min walk to town or small city center that has some charm. Places we have been to and like are Chatham, MA, Scituate, MA, Little Compton, RI (maybe too small/rural), Annapolis MD, Avila Beach, CA, Santa Barbara, CA (not really affordable, but we like it :happy ).

2marshmallow
You could look at Carpinteria, CA - a small town about 10 minutes south of Santa Barbara. It does have a cute downtown, and there are cottages in town where you can walk to the beach. If you want to have a little more space, there are properties that are further from the beach, but certainly bikeable.

Another option: Watsonville, CA. Much more agricultural, not "pretty" when I was there years ago. But maybe? Ditto Santa Cruz, but anything there would be small. They also have problems with homeless encampments.

Inland, you have the entire California Delta region, from Sacramento to Stockton. Towns along the way: Woodland CA, Locke, and Discovery Bay. All are small, and may not have a town center "walkable" in quite the sophistication you want, but you can find waterfront property for under $1M. Discovery Bay is a real development, with several hundred houses on the water, and the loca strip mall development on the highway nearby (1 mile away) has a lovely grocery store, a pharmacy, a UPS store and Wells Fargo ATM.
A friend of mine just bought a home in Carpinteria and we will probably be visiting him in the near future. We did check out a Trilogy community in Brentwood, which I think is the Delta area. The community looked really nice, but the surrounding area seemed very rural, almost desolate. Also, no water nearby. It is this community that gave us a positive impression of 55+ developments.

2marshmallow
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

2marshmallow wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:57 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:12 pm OP, for a lot of the places suggested, you'll need to make sure you can tolerate humidity. For many people used to the relatively dryness of the western US, the humidity of much of the midwestern, eastern, and southeastern US is pretty unbearable.
Yes, something to think about. If we find a place that looks like a favorite, we will go there at the worst possible time for a few weeks and see how we feel about it. DW thrives on humidity, as she is from a tropical island with humidity that is probably as high as anywhere in the US. I on the other hand, slow down to a crawl.

2marshmallow
That makes sense but I think it's comparable to trying to climb a 14,000 peak in Colorado. If you fly there and try to do it right away, it's going to be painful and unbearable. But if you acclimate to it over a couple months, I find it much more manageable. Some people for whatever reason adjust to extreme humidity/heat/cold better than others.
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mainebeach

Post by mainebeach »

Friends recently retired to Lewes and appear to like it. Taxes are ridiculously low and many retirees are moving there. A couple of things we noticed. Restaurant start shutting down in October so not much going on in the winter. Unlike Rehobeth the Bethany/Lewes area trends more conservative which may be good or bad depending on your point of view. Also I believe there are wait lists for doctors. I think our friends are still coming back to Philly for medical. I absolutely would look closely at medical care after watching a friend in the Easton Md area drive back and forth to Baltimore every week for several years due to her husbands health. The Bay bridge was a nightmare. We are probably staying put and will get a summer place in New England. Towns that we like include Kennebunkport, Little Compton/Newport. I would also second looking at Old Saybrook and Lyme area. Good location, not far from Yale medical, can go to NY or Boston easily. Have back burnered our search due to the current market and prices.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

To see the impact of rising sea levels in VA refer to:

http://ccrm.vims.edu/climate_change/slr_maps/index.html

The impact on real estate prices is anyone's guess.

Virginia's first Coastal Resilience Master Plan is scheduled to be released in late 2021. It would be prudent perhaps to see their forecast and plans.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/articl ... ence-plan/
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:53 pm To see the impact of rising sea levels in VA refer to:

http://ccrm.vims.edu/climate_change/slr_maps/index.html

The impact on real estate prices is anyone's guess.

Virginia's first Coastal Resilience Master Plan is scheduled to be released in late 2021. It would be prudent perhaps to see their forecast and plans.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/articl ... ence-plan/
Also worth looking at tsunami maps. I made sure our house was out of tsunami danger zone when we purchased. Where I live there’s no discount for being in tsunami danger zone so you might as well not be.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

2marshmallow wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:43 pm
A friend of mine just bought a home in Carpinteria and we will probably be visiting him in the near future. We did check out a Trilogy community in Brentwood, which I think is the Delta area. The community looked really nice, but the surrounding area seemed very rural, almost desolate. Also, no water nearby. It is this community that gave us a positive impression of 55+ developments.

2marshmallow
Brentwood is 10 minutes from the water. Look at Discovery Bay (on the water, 3000 homes).
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:31 am
I'm 35 min south near Medina, love the area