Selling a Hilton Grand Vacations Membership

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bfinners23

Selling a Hilton Grand Vacations Membership

Post by bfinners23 »

Hi Bogleheads -

Seeking out some advice. 28 years old and made a bad decision by purchasing a Hilton Grand Vacations Club Membership (their word for timeshare) two months ago. After coming home and running numbers, my fiance and I do not want to be stuck paying monthly fees and maintenance fees for the next bunch of years.

Looking for advice on how to get out of it / sell it. Does anyone have experience or advice on going about that ? Thank you so much in advance!
Marseille07

Re: Selling a Hilton Grand Vacations Membership

Post by Marseille07 »

$1 on eBay would be the start. Look around for existing listings there.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Be happy if you can get out of it for nothing. Don't even try to sell it. It is a loss, move on and dump it.
csm

Post by csm »

Ask for advice on http://www.tugbbs.com - this site is the 'bogleheads' of time shares.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

bfinners23 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:15 pm Hi Bogleheads -

Seeking out some advice. 28 years old and made a bad decision by purchasing a Hilton Grand Vacations Club Membership (their word for timeshare) two months ago. After coming home and running numbers, my fiance and I do not want to be stuck paying monthly fees and maintenance fees for the next bunch of years.

Looking for advice on how to get out of it / sell it. Does anyone have experience or advice on going about that ? Thank you so much in advance!
I know of someone who had a Westgate timeshare that they couldn't even giveaway...they ended up finally "selling" it for $0 and paying all of the transfer fees to the new owner.

I'd literally do what the previous poster suggested and put it on eBay for $1 and hope someone takes it.

Out of curiosity...what did you end up paying?
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

csm wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:00 pm Ask for advice on http://www.tugbbs.com - this site is the 'bogleheads' of time shares.
I agree with csm. TUG is the place to go for good advice on your situation.

Some timeshares (Hilton, Marriott, Disney Vacation Club, for example) can be sold on the resale market for a fair amount of money. Some even go for more than the original purchase price, if they were purchased many years ago. Since you bought yours so recently, you will lose money on the sale but you won't lose everything like you would if you gave it away.

There are reputable brokers who will handle the sale for a commission of 8% - 10% (last time I looked, which was more than a year ago). The commission is deducted from the proceeds of the sale. NEVER pay anyone up front to sell your timeshare for you. Reputable brokers do not get paid unless they find you a buyer and the transaction is completed successfully.
Topic Author
bfinners23

Post by bfinners23 »

Thank you to everyone on their feedback and advice, greatly appreciated as trying to navigate this and minimize the damage. It is a Hilton timeshare and for what it's worth, the value per dollar seems fair, but we just have some other expenses coming up that probably this was not the best time to do it.

Will definitely check out TUG and do some research on that site. Thank you!