10x10 Beach Tent / Shelter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

10x10 Beach Tent / Shelter

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Looking for a 10x10 beach shelter tent that is lightweight such as this KMM from SmarGold (https://www.smargold.com/products/kmm-p ... ackyard-bg). Any thoughts? I see similar options but this is the cheapest at $69.99.

Requirement is basic - lightweight shelter to keep myself and kids from getting fried during a day at the beach.
nodak

Re: 10x10 Beach Tent / Shelter

Post by nodak »

We've bought two from Walmart in the past for $50 or so. They are handy to get out of the sun and easy to set up. The one you linked to looks like it would fit what you need. One thought might be how heavy it is and how far you will have to carry/pull the tent.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Spent last week on vacation. Our son-in-law had a Quest Q100 10' x 10' Quick Lift Straight Leg Canopy that he purchased from Dick's on sale for $70.00 (currently looks like $110). He purchased a mesh screen and the Quest Canopy Weight Plates to hold the legs down. It was on a large deck all week and worked great. Just a caution: There are negative reviews that deal with poor performance if it rains. I helped him set it up. It's a lot easier set up with multiple people.
howard71

Post by howard71 »

Be careful putting it up on a windy day.

We had a more expensive one that was purchased at Costco with the cost shared by a group of friends. Sometimes we all used it together and sometimes individually.

My wife loaned it to someone not in the group and they put it up on a windy day only to have it blown away and completely destroyed.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Some beaches do not allow these. Check the rules for the beach you are going to before you leave home.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I have a preference for something smaller, more tent-like that has some side coverage for wind protection and privacy. The bottom being a tarp is nice for getting away from the sand. Like others have mentioned, vents for cross breezes is key so the thing doesn't self-destruct or become a projectile in the wind. The smaller footprint means you'll be less likely to get glares from others on the beach for taking up too much space.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121281? ... sp=a&pos=3
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

I only enjoy the beach with shade so I don't risk tents or Shibumis since I know some beaches don't allow them. We've had good luck with BeachBub umbrella systems. https://www.amazon.com/BEACHBUB-Ultra-B ... 363&sr=8-9

I bought the "bases" from Amazon and picked my own umbrellas, also on Amazon (Not Beachbub's umbrellas because the price was too high in my opinion.) In many years of experience with beach umbrellas, no matter how much you spend, they only last so long so I went with umbrellas like these. https://www.amazon.com/MEWAY-Umbrella-M ... NrPXRydWU=

We were at a fancy beach in the USVI and there was a business that was renting the BeachBubs!
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

My wife's family has vacationed at the beach for 67 years running. We use the cheap pop-up tents that run less than $75 each. The golden rule is that you set the beach tent/shelters up every morning and you take them down at the 1st hint of a storm or high winds and also every single night. After every storm or high wind event, we see the beach patrol picking up at least a half dozen of them that were trashed and broken.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

howard71 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:49 pm Be careful putting it up on a windy day.
+1

While visiting the Outer Banks of North Carolina a few weeks back, a gust of wind came up and there were about two dozen tents and various umbrellas suddenly in the surf. As we didn't have anything, it was quite entertaining to watch the mad scramble to retrieve them all.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Maybe get a tent that you can stake down. I think they have special wide stakes for sand. Years ago, when self-standing tents were first becoming popular - the kind that don't need stakes to deploy - a friend of mine was using his for the first time camping on a beach somewhere. In the morning he stepped out of his tent and removed his sleeping bag. The tent immediately went up in the air like a kite and proceeded to go way out over the ocean. It was never recovered.