questions about wifi and cellular when outside the US

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goonie

questions about wifi and cellular when outside the US

Post by goonie »

This forum has a lot of knowledgeable international travelers, so I'm hoping to get some help answering a few rather specific questions I have regarding phone usage when traveling outside the US. I posed some of these questions to my provider (Verizon) but I wasn't satisfied with the quality and confidence of the answers I received. However, I need to admit right off the bat that while I'm somewhat educated on this topic, I'm also fairly ignorant. So try to bear with me here.

Before I roll into the questions, I'll mention that I have a Verizon prepaid plan (the lowest cost one with 5GB/month) and an iPhone 7 (but I'll probably be replacing it with the next iPhone - the 13 or whatever it will be called - this fall/winter after it's released).

Ok, now the questions...

1) Has anyone tried using a combination of wifi calling and a local prepaid SIM card? Any issues going back and forth between regular SIM and local SIM?

- I'd like to be able to periodically check voicemails and text messages that go to my regular Verizon phone number. If I go the route of using a local prepaid sim card, I was thinking that (once every day or two) I could swap back in my regular Verizon sim card, connect to wifi, and use wifi calling to check voicemails and texts (and respond if necessary). So I'm wondering if there would be any issues going back and forth like that between my regular sim and the local one I purchase.

2) Should I use a VPN when using wifi calling?

- Let's assume that, for the purposes of this question, I'm just checking (and possibly responding to) calls, voicemails, and texts and not using other apps to access the internet. I guess there could be a need for VPN if the calls, voicemails, or texts included sensitive info?

- Also, I think I understand correctly that iMessages are "data", while pure texts (SMS/MMS) are "cellular". So that has me thinking the answer could possibly be different for those.

3) Since I have a Verizon prepaid plan in the US, am I prevented from having any service outside the US unless I either sign up for Verizon TravelPass or get a local sim card?

- I'm trying to determine if I'm protected from accidentally incurring charges while out of the country. I think so (since I'm prepaid) but I want to make sure.

- I'll note that Verizon's only option for prepaid customers when traveling out of the US is the daily Travelpass option.

4) Assuming Verizon states that Travelpass works in a given country, does it use any and all cell networks there? Or is it limited to "partner" networks?

5) When using Travelpass, can you incur any charges beyond the daily $5-10 cost? (the daily cost is either $5 or $10, depending on what country you're in)

6) When using a local prepaid sim card, is there roaming capability to use another provider's network?

For example, if I get a Vodafone sim card in Spain but Vodafone has spotty coverage in Granada (I'm making this up), will I be able to roam to another provider if necessary when I'm in Granada? If so, are there charges associated with that?
02nz

Re: questions about wifi and cellular when outside the US

Post by 02nz »

I would not even attempt to use Verizon's roaming, which will be a ripoff regardless of the details. Better to either get a local SIM (best if you're in one country for a while) or use an eSIM app (I recommend Truphone, Airalo is also ok for Europe, e.g.: Truphone offers 1 GB for $6 or 3GB for $17 for Spain, good for 30 days). That requires iPhone XS/XR or later, so if you upgrade to the 12 or 12S (or 13 or whatever it's called) before the trip, that's an option. BTW the 12S or 13 is almost certain to be a relatively minor upgrade over the 12. I prefer the eSIM option over standing in line at some cell shop right after you land.

1. What you described should work. I've had no issues doing the same. Just make sure you turn off cellular when you put in the Verizon SIM, so that you're not hit with roaming charges. Obviously, your phone needs to be unlocked.

2. Haven't tried. Wifi calling is encrypted, as are iMessages. Yes iMessage only needs data, works fine even if you only have wifi.

3. Not familiar with Verizon prepaid, check your plan. Safest thing to do is to always disable cellular (the cell tower icon in the control panel) when the Verizon SIM is in the phone.

4. I wouldn't worry about coverage - Verizon's roaming partners are likely to have excellent coverage, usually more than one carrier in any given area. But the pricing will be a ripoff.

5. Ask Verizon/check your plan.

6. Generally yes in the EU, which has made roaming very consumer-friendly.
kleiner

Post by kleiner »

If you need the ability for people from the US to be able to reach you, I would suggest using the data roaming feature rather than getting a local SIM card. It may not seem like a big issue but I often need that ability to get pass codes for bank accounts etc via text messages. I deal with this by simply buying the $10 per day AT&T roaming data access.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

02nz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:12 pm I would not even attempt to use Verizon's roaming, which will be a ripoff regardless of the details. Better to either get a local SIM (best if you're in one country for a while) or use an eSIM app (I recommend Truphone, Airalo is also ok for Europe, e.g.: Truphone offers 1 GB for $6 or 3GB for $17 for Spain, good for 30 days). That requires iPhone XS/XR or later, so if you upgrade to the 12 or 12S (or 13 or whatever it's called) before the trip, that's an option. BTW the 12S or 13 is almost certain to be a relatively minor upgrade over the 12. I prefer the eSIM option over standing in line at some cell shop right after you land.

1. What you described should work. I've had no issues doing the same. Just make sure you turn off cellular when you put in the Verizon SIM, so that you're not hit with roaming charges. Obviously, your phone needs to be unlocked.

2. Haven't tried. Wifi calling is encrypted, as are iMessages. Yes iMessage only needs data, works fine even if you only have wifi.

3. Not familiar with Verizon prepaid, check your plan. Safest thing to do is to always disable cellular (the cell tower icon in the control panel) when the Verizon SIM is in the phone.

4. I wouldn't worry about coverage - Verizon's roaming partners are likely to have excellent coverage, usually more than one carrier in any given area. But the pricing will be a ripoff.

5. Ask Verizon/check your plan.

6. Generally yes in the EU, which has made roaming very consumer-friendly.
Thanks for your responses. I'll look into the eSIM app option. I'm not traveling until next spring/summer, so I'll have the iPhone 12s/13 by then.

As far as Travelpass goes, I guess I'm only thinking about that as an option for the first day or two I'm there - until I get a local SIM set up and working. Or if I'm only going to be somewhere for a few days, maybe I go with that instead of bothering with a local SIM.

I did ask Verizon questions 3-5 but the rep either admitted they didn't know the answer or sounded like they were just making something up rather than continuing to say they didn't know.

With regard to wifi calling, have you ever done any call forwarding so that you don't have to use wifi calling? I read something about this being an option.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm With regard to wifi calling, have you ever done any call forwarding so that you don't have to use wifi calling? I read something about this being an option.
You mean forwarding your US number to a local (i.e. Spanish) local number? I don't think that would be practical. If it works it'll certainly be very costly.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

kleiner wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:18 pm If you need the ability for people from the US to be able to reach you, I would suggest using the data roaming feature rather than getting a local SIM card. It may not seem like a big issue but I often need that ability to get pass codes for bank accounts etc via text messages. I deal with this by simply buying the $10 per day AT&T roaming data access.
I hear you but that starts to get pricey for anything longer than a few days.

If I need to get pass codes for bank accounts, I would most likely be on wifi at that moment and could just use wifi calling with my regular SIM in order to receive those texts.

As far as people being able to reach me, I would give my few closest contacts in the US the phone number for my local SIM, in case they needed to reach me. However, since I don't want to completely ignore everyone and everything else, I would check voicemails and texts once every day or two (or three) via wifi calling with my regular Verizon SIM.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:34 pm As far as people being able to reach me, I would give my few closest contacts in the US the phone number for my local SIM, in case they needed to reach me. However, since I don't want to completely ignore everyone and everything else, I would check voicemails and texts once every day or two (or three) via wifi calling with my regular Verizon SIM.
Google Voice could be a good solution for this. Even works with most 2-factor authentication services (a few exceptions, like Chase I believe). While you're away, set your normal number to forward to Google Voice, which will be accessible from anywhere as long as you have data.
Last edited by 02nz on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

02nz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:31 pm
goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm With regard to wifi calling, have you ever done any call forwarding so that you don't have to use wifi calling? I read something about this being an option.
You mean forwarding your US number to a local (i.e. Spanish) local number? I don't think that would be practical. If it works it'll certainly be very costly.
I don't know what I mean actually. I need to go back and do more reading/research on that.
Nebraska_Drought

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

I have never set up my phone for calling when I have went to Europe, Africa, South America or even in the Caribbean. I get on the global data plan and utilize Facetime and other internet based service for any voice conversations I need to have and the rest is just data usage (I always am on unlimited data). For texting, I pay by the text, so I try to limit that but it is functional without doing anything else. Unless you absolutely NEED to dial a number or to receive a call to your number, data plans are your best bet/friend going over seas.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

This does depend somewhat on the country, but in general, the major US providers have extremely overpriced roaming with lots of fine print and complicated terms, so you're almost always better just getting a local SIM. Even if your phone is locked and you can't or don't want to unlock it, you'll often come out ahead buying a cheap used throwaway phone in your destination country. This is especially true in places like Asia which have many extremely affordable local phones. The first time I went to China, one of my Chinese friends who was studying in the US asked her friend in China to help me get a phone. I found out after the fact that she either had expensive taste or was just trying to maintain appearances or something, because not only did we got out to a very expensive restaurant, but she took me to some high-end store and convinced me to buy some $200 brand new but very basic non-smartphone. When my classmates arrived a few weeks later (we were there for some sort of student exchange thing), they were more fluent in Chinese and able to navigate the stores themselves, and they ended up getting some pretty nice refurbished smartphones for like $40 each, which made me feel silly for spending so much on a basic phone. I don't know if it's still like that now, but my point is, get somebody you trust and who understands you just need something cheap temporarily for your travels, and you might be surprised how little you end up spending on both local service and a local phone. If you can use your current phone, even better.

The best alternative to that I've used is Google Fi, which is essentially a SIM you get here in the US that is kind of an MVNO for US-based networks, but they have agreements in place with most international networks to provide data roaming for the same $10/GB globally. So while $10/GB may still be higher than local rates depending on where you go, you get the convenience of just being able to use the same service and SIM that was working in the US, and it pretty much automatically works as soon as your plane lands. I've used it in China and it worked wonderfully, apart from all the various services that were blocked there. I had an incident once where I landed in China and couldn't find my girlfriend who was supposed to be waiting for me in the crowd, so I was there with no service and not able to reach her, and the airport wifi unfortunately required a phone number just to sign up for. I ended up having to ask a stranger to call her for me, and I could tell he was hesitant because of the way long-distance calling works in China (or at least did at the time) so it was going to be somewhat expensive for him, but he ended up helping out. I felt embarrassed because I had no way of helping myself and didn't have local currency on me to cover the call cost since I was planning on using ATMs for the whole trip. Once we switched to Google Fi, we just never had to worry about that kind of stuff anymore. We land, and our phone just works and costs the same amount for data as back home. We're no longer on Fi because Mint is cheaper and we haven't been traveling internationally due to the pandemic, but once we start to travel again, I would seriously consider restarting our Fi service just for that security.

Mexico and Canada are somewhat unique cases for Americans in particular. That's because the major carriers and various MVNOs tend to have special terms for those countries in particular, so you may find that one of them is worth going for if you travel a lot to those countries. It's been a while since I looked into them, but I remember T-Mobile in particular having reasonable pricing for data in Mexico some years back. I don't think anybody really switches from say Verizon to T-Mobile for a single trip because of that, but there are people who live near the border or go every year for vacation who prefer something like that so they know it'll just work when they go down there.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

- I wouldn't bother with Verizon international roaming or passes unless you're in a situation where you need to be reachable by people back home using your normal number. Using VZ internationally will be convenient but very, very expensive. If work will pay for it - great. Otherwise, I'd go local.

- If your trip is only in 1 country, just buy a local Pay as you Go (prepaid) SIM and ensure you bring an unlocked phone. Then text family back home that may need that new number (e.g. emergencies, etc.).

- Determine before you go if you need tethering (hotspot) using that PayG. Some prepaid plans don't allow tethering; some do. You'll need to do your homework before leaving.

- Another option is VoIP services from your mobile/tablet using local wifi. Like Skype. You can dial US or international landline #s from Skype and pay per minute (prepaid).

- Another option to look at is Google Voice, although I've personally never tried to use this with non-US phone #s. The idea is you register/port a phone number to GV, then you forward all calls/texts to another number(s). Many people do this when getting rid of their home's landline, but don't want to lose the phone number that everyone knows, so port it to GV and have it forward to your cell.

- Roaming with a local SIM within Europe is mostly pain free, but do your homework. Some plans may charge more per minute/GB when roaming. UK is not in Europe anymore, etc.

Another option I've done that worked, if you have a tablet with cellular, is get the PAYG SIM for the tablet and get a data heavy one... then just use the hotspot on it to tether your normal phone and you can still get email, iMessages, etc. Just no voice, other than wifi calling. I guess it just depends on if you anticipate actually using the voice capabilities of the local SIM.... I usually buy them primarily for data.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm Thanks for your responses. I'll look into the eSIM app option. I'm not traveling until next spring/summer, so I'll have the iPhone 12s/13 by then.
You have some options when you have a dual SIM/eSIM phone:

You could load your local Verizon plan (not sure if they allow it for prepaid) onto your eSIM and get a physical SIM for your destination.
You could leave your physical Verizon SIM and get an eSIM for your destination.
You could swap physical SIMs.

The advantage of 1 and 2 is that you don't have to swap SIMs. The OS lets you control which SIM is on/off if you have two, so you don't have to remove the SIM to deactivate it.

3 UK has a decent SIM you can buy on Amazon and use in a lot of countries. There are lots of options, but I liked that I could get it in advance and activate it at home to verify it was working OK.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

A few years ago, I had a verizon iphone and bought a prepaid vodafone sim card upon arrival in spain. it wasn't a dual sim phone so i simply replaced one card with the other for the duration.

I don't remember any details for you except that it worked great, and that year we did a long road trip so it included rural areas and much of portugal.

it was not a goal of mine to check my normal phone number during the trip. anybody from home who need to reach me could have used imessage/whatsapp/facebook. work was perfectly able to reach my email and slack.

i think that was the last year before my switch to google fi, which is cheaper and more seamless.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

bluebolt wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:41 pm
goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm Thanks for your responses. I'll look into the eSIM app option. I'm not traveling until next spring/summer, so I'll have the iPhone 12s/13 by then.

You could load your local Verizon plan (not sure if they allow it for prepaid) onto your eSIM and get a physical SIM for your destination.

The advantage of 1 and 2 is that you don't have to swap SIMs. The OS lets you control which SIM is on/off if you have two, so you don't have to remove the SIM to deactivate it.

3 UK has a decent SIM you can buy on Amazon and use in a lot of countries. There are lots of options, but I liked that I could get it in advance and activate it at home to verify it was working OK.
I was just reading that iPhones XS/XR and later (that includes the 11 and 12) have a physical nano-SIM card slot and an eSIM.

Your option 2 sounds pretty good to me. It would be nice if I could set up the eSIM for a provider in my destination country before I even leave the US but I don't know if that's possible. I was reading that you can sign up for a data plan via the provider's app (which might be what 02nz was referring to above).
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:03 pm
bluebolt wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:41 pm

I was just reading that iPhones XS/XR and later (that includes the 11 and 12) have a physical nano-SIM card slot and an eSIM.

Your option 2 sounds pretty good to me. It would be nice if I could set up the eSIM for a provider in my destination country before I even leave the US but I don't know if that's possible. I was reading that you can sign up for a data plan via the provider's app (which might be what 02nz was referring to above).
Apple has a list of carriers that support eSIM by country:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096
02nz

Post by 02nz »

goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:03 pm It would be nice if I could set up the eSIM for a provider in my destination country before I even leave the US but I don't know if that's possible. I was reading that you can sign up for a data plan via the provider's app (which might be what 02nz was referring to above).
Yes this is possible. With Truphone you download the app, purchase the plan, and load the eSIM (electronically) before you go. In fact this is recommended, since you need data to do all this.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

bluebolt wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:07 pm

02nz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:12 pm
goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:03 pm It would be nice if I could set up the eSIM for a provider in my destination country before I even leave the US but I don't know if that's possible. I was reading that you can sign up for a data plan via the provider's app (which might be what 02nz was referring to above).
Yes this is possible. With Truphone you download the app, purchase the plan, and load the eSIM (electronically) before you go. In fact this is recommended, since you need data to do all this.
Cool. Thank you both.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I've used Verizon travel pass in Canada, the UK, and Iceland without any problems.

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-s ... al-travel/

Just sign-up for travel pass.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

rockstar wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:01 pm I've used Verizon travel pass in Canada, the UK, and Iceland without any problems.

There's something to be said for the convenience.

I said earlier that my cutoff for wanting to use it was a few days but it actually may be more like a week. Travelpass in Europe for a week would be $70 ($10/day). If a local sim was say $20, the extra $50 that Travelpass costs may be worth the convenience. Of course, that difference continues to grow as the trip gets longer, so a local sim becomes more and more attractive.

If I could get assurance that I would not incur any charges beyond the $10/day, I'd be tempted to say that Travelpass would be my first choice for trips of a week or less.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:34 pm
rockstar wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:01 pm I've used Verizon travel pass in Canada, the UK, and Iceland without any problems.

There's something to be said for the convenience.

I said earlier that my cutoff for wanting to use it was a few days but it actually may be more like a week. Travelpass in Europe for a week would be $70 ($10/day). If a local sim was say $20, the extra $50 that Travelpass costs may be worth the convenience. Of course, that difference continues to grow as the trip gets longer, so a local sim becomes more and more attractive.

If I could get assurance that I would not incur any charges beyond the $10/day, I'd be tempted to say that Travelpass would be my first choice for trips of a week or less.
It's my first choice. I can use my phone as if I'm in the US. I don't have to buy an unlocked phone and track down sims. You can also turn it on and off on vacation too. You don't have to use it every day. Some of my party only used it for the last bit of our Iceland trip, rather than the whole trip.
bmr12

Post by bmr12 »

Verizon postpaid customer here. For most countries, it is far cheaper to get a SIM in country rather than pay the $10/day if you are going to be there for more than a couple of days. Canada is less per day and much harder to get a short term SIM.

If you want to be able to use WiFi calling, be sure to activate it while you are still in the country (ask me how I know). iMessages will work over WiFi, but only from other Apple devices. Cross devices SMS/MMS will not (from android).

Also when you associate your new SIM with your Apple ID, iMessages will work over that cellular connection, but it’s a bit wonky.

The only challenge is voicemail. Calling yourself over WiFi should connect you to the VM system if you know your password.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I'm happy to have T-Mobile and don't deal with these issues. To be clear while overseas I rarely have needed to "call" anyone via cellular. Text, wi-fi and data have served us fine. FWIW, we're on the 55 + plan, International text & data included.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

bob60014 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:53 pm I'm happy to have T-Mobile and don't deal with these issues. To be clear while overseas I rarely have needed to "call" anyone via cellular. Text, wi-fi and data have served us fine. FWIW, we're on the 55 + plan, International text & data included.
T-Mobile's free international roaming is very slow though. It's ok for email and messaging, not much more. Even just looking up restaurant recommendations was painfully slow. Of course that roaming speed varies - in a few places I got 4G speed, most places it was more like 2G.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

02nz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:14 pm
bob60014 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:53 pm I'm happy to have T-Mobile and don't deal with these issues. To be clear while overseas I rarely have needed to "call" anyone via cellular. Text, wi-fi and data have served us fine. FWIW, we're on the 55 + plan, International text & data included.
T-Mobile's free international roaming is very slow though. It's ok for email and messaging, not much more. Even just looking up restaurant recommendations was painfully slow. Of course that roaming speed varies - in a few places I got 4G speed, most places it was more like 2G.
Perhaps, but for our use its never been a issue. We don't need blazing speed and can wait 5 seconds to get the info. And wifi at higher speed is readily available in most areas which fills in the gaps.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

goonie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:03 pm
bluebolt wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:41 pm You have some options when you have a dual SIM/eSIM phone:

Just wanted to add that I learned today that you can store multiple eSIMs on those iPhones. Unfortunately for me, Verizon prepaid plans do not yet have eSIMs.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
You can store more than one eSIM in your iPhone, but you can use only one at a time. To switch eSIMs, tap Settings, tap either Cellular or Mobile Data, and then tap the plan you want to use. Then tap Turn On This Line.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

bluebolt wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:07 pm

Ok, based on what I've found so far, it looks like it may be a little tough to buy eSIMs directly from the carriers listed on the Apple support page linked above. I didn't have much luck with the few that I looked at.

As 02nz has said, you can buy them from companies like Truphone or Airalo...
02nz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:12 pm Better to either get a local SIM (best if you're in one country for a while) or use an eSIM app (I recommend Truphone, Airalo is also ok for Europe, e.g.: Truphone offers 1 GB for $6 or 3GB for $17 for Spain, good for 30 days). That requires iPhone XS/XR or later, so if you upgrade to the 12 or 12S (or 13 or whatever it's called) before the trip, that's an option. BTW the 12S or 13 is almost certain to be a relatively minor upgrade over the 12. I prefer the eSIM option over standing in line at some cell shop right after you land.
02nz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:12 pm With Truphone you download the app, purchase the plan, and load the eSIM (electronically) before you go. In fact this is recommended, since you need data to do all this.

I looked at Airalo (but not Truphone) and it appears that the eSIMs they sell operate on certain carriers' networks...but sometimes those carriers are not listed on the Apple support page above. For example, the Italy eSIMs that Airalo offers operate on the H3G and Wind networks in Italy, neither of which are listed on the Apple page.

So I guess at this point I'm just wondering if I understand all of this correctly.

I'm also wondering if Airalo's Italy eSIMs would actually work (or how well they would work). I'm wondering this for a couple of different reasons. #1 is that neither carrier (H3G or Wind) is listed on the Apple page as offering eSIM service. #2 is that, while Wind is generally thought of as having a good/decent network in Italy, H3G doesn't seem to be mentioned much.

Oh, and one other thing. It appears that this site, https://esimdb.com, is an aggregator for eSIMs offered by companies like Airalo and Truphone. Is that right?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

goonie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:12 am I looked at Airalo (but not Truphone) and it appears that the eSIMs they sell operate on certain carriers' networks...but sometimes those carriers are not listed on the Apple support page above. For example, the Italy eSIMs that Airalo offers operate on the H3G and Wind networks in Italy, neither of which are listed on the Apple page.

So I guess at this point I'm just wondering if I understand all of this correctly.

I'm also wondering if Airalo's Italy eSIMs would actually work (or how well they would work). I'm wondering this for a couple of different reasons. #1 is that neither carrier (H3G or Wind) is listed on the Apple page as offering eSIM service. #2 is that, while Wind is generally thought of as a good/decent network in Italy, H3G doesn't seem to be mentioned much.

Oh, and one other thing. It appears that this site, https://esimdb.com, is an aggregator for eSIMs offered by companies like Airalo and Truphone. Is that right?
If you get Truphone/Airalo and buy a plan from them, you do NOT need to worry about checking the list of operators on Apple's site, because Truphone/Airalo is your operator. Sure, you're roaming on Vodafone, T-Mobile, or whatever network, but that happens transparently, just like any other roaming agreement.

Esimdb is a good resource for checking pricing.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:16 am
If you get Truphone/Airalo and buy a plan from them, you do NOT need to worry about checking the list of operators on Apple's site, because Truphone/Airalo is your operator. Sure, you're roaming on Vodafone, T-Mobile, or whatever network, but that happens transparently, just like any other roaming agreement.

Esimdb is a good resource for checking pricing.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

This may sound odd but I think my plan is going to be to turn on Travelpass AND set up a prepaid eSIM. That way I'll have both options ready to go, in case I have an issue with either of them or find that I like one over the other. The eSIMs are cheap enough that if I end up not using it much, no big deal.
Bigsmith

Post by Bigsmith »

If you get an iPhone with eSIM capability and a data eSIM for the country or countries you'll be visiting, you can do Verizon wifi calling using eSIM data. In other words, you could make/receive calls and texts on your regular number from anywhere without paying Travelpass fees. Just make sure wifi calling is turned on, and cell data is turned off, for the Verizon SIM.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Bigsmith wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:44 pm If you get an iPhone with eSIM capability and a data eSIM for the country or countries you'll be visiting, you can do Verizon wifi calling using eSIM data. In other words, you could make/receive calls and texts on your regular number from anywhere without paying Travelpass fees. Just make sure wifi calling is turned on, and cell data is turned off, for the Verizon SIM.
To be clear: you need to be on wifi to use wifi calling. You cannot make calls or send/receive texts through Verizon or any other provider's wifi calling using cellular data, and that includes eSIM data. (Or maybe you just meant having both usable at the same time.) You could Skype or use Google Voice using eSIM data, though.
Bigsmith

Post by Bigsmith »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:52 pm
Bigsmith wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:44 pm If you get an iPhone with eSIM capability and a data eSIM for the country or countries you'll be visiting, you can do Verizon wifi calling using eSIM data. In other words, you could make/receive calls and texts on your regular number from anywhere without paying Travelpass fees. Just make sure wifi calling is turned on, and cell data is turned off, for the Verizon SIM.
To be clear: you need to be on wifi to use wifi calling. You cannot make calls or send/receive texts through Verizon or any other provider's wifi calling using cellular data, and that includes eSIM data. (Or maybe you just meant having both usable at the same time.) You could Skype or use Google Voice using eSIM data, though.
There are reports on several fora including Flyertalk and Howardforums that with IOS 13 ++ you can do exactly what I said. If the phone has no voice service on the primary SIM it will simulate a wifi connection using eSIM data. I haven't tried this personally, to be clear.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

You skip one very major important point. Is your IPhone (whatever model) work in the country that you travel to in the first place? US do not necessary use the same frequency bands as per other countries. You need to make sure that whatever model of the IPhone that you have can work in the country that you are traveling to. Then, you can talk about SIM/eSIM and so on.

Model of the IPhone and which country is supported.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/cellular/

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
02nz

Post by 02nz »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:29 pm OP,

You skip one very major important point. Is your IPhone (whatever model) work in the country that you travel to in the first place? US do not necessary use the same frequency bands as per other countries. You need to make sure that whatever model of the IPhone that you have can work in the country that you are traveling to. Then, you can talk about SIM/eSIM and so on.

KlangFool
This is basically a non-issue in newer iPhones, which are world phones (and only XS/XR and later support eSIM anyway). Will every band in every carrier in every country be supported? Not necessarily. Will a U.S. iPhone work in Spain? Absolutely.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:08 pm

KlangFool
This is basically a non-issue in newer iPhones, which are world phones (and only XS/XR and later support eSIM anyway). Will every band in every carrier in every country be supported? Not necessarily. Will a U.S. iPhone work in Spain? Absolutely.
02nz,

Great if that is true. I simply do not know.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

If you get a overseas sim card, make sure you reset all your apps not to update on cellular. Depending on your apps, you could blow your monthly data limit on the SIM card within a few days with downloading updates.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

chemocean wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:23 pm If you get a overseas sim card, make sure you reset all your apps not to update on cellular. Depending on your apps, you could blow your monthly data limit on the SIM card within a few days with downloading updates.
In iOS there's a systemwide setting for this.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

There may be. But we needed to use navigation, so I remember reseting app by app.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

02nz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:08 pm

KlangFool
My obsessive-compulsive tendencies took over...

There are 4 different models of the iPhone 12:

A2172 (the US model)
A2402 (the Canada, Puerto Rico, USVI, Guam and Japan model)
A2404 (the China, Hong Kong, and Macau model)
A2403 (the everywhere else model)

As far as band support goes, the A2404 and A2403 appear to be identical. Using those 2 as a baseline, the A2172 supports 3 additional 5G bands and 3 additional LTE bands. The 2402 supports 1 additional 5G band (it's 1 of the 3 additional that the A2172 supports) and 5 additional LTE bands (3 of them are the 3 additional that the A2172 supports).

So long story short, there's very little variation between the 4 models and the US model has the best 5G band support and almost the best LTE band support (it's missing 2 bands that the Canada/Japan model supports).

Like you said, this is basically a non-issue. Can it rear its head once in a blue moon when someone is traveling the world with an iPhone they bought in their home country? It could. Is it likely to happen? No.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my OP, I have the iPhone 7. To expand on that, they made 2 models of the 7 and I have the A1660. They look to be identical other than the A1660 supporting CDMA.

Model A1660
FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Model A1778
FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

goonie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:19 pm
Anyway, as I mentioned in my OP, I have the iPhone 7. To expand on that, they made 2 models of the 7 and I have the A1660. They look to be identical other than the A1660 supporting CDMA.

Model A1660
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)

Model A1778
Actually, they made 2 other models of the 7...the A1779 for the Japanese market and the A1780 for the Chinese market (which also got the A1660). As far as bands go, the A1779 is identical to the A1660 and the A1780 is similar (not sure if identical) to the A1778 in that it doesn't support CDMA.

Again, very little variation between the different models when it comes to band support. And this was way back with the iphone 7, which came out in 2016.
Last edited by goonie on Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Before the pandemic I traveled a lot, usually two trips to Europe per year. My approach was not to make it easy for people to contact me. When I'm on vacation in a foreign country, I want to focus on that place and the people who live there, not on my friends and family back in the US. Let them learn to live without me being constantly available.

My children know that, in an emergency, they can always reach me by iMessage, by WhatsApp, or by email, all of which I can receive through wifi without a cellular connection.

I buy an international data plan from AT&T for each trip, but I use it lightly. I use it mostly for Apple Maps or Google Maps when I get lost in my wanderings around some new European city. I also use it to check my banking websites because I don't trust hotel wifi for that. And I use it to check voice mail once a day and to receive any text messages that are not iMessages. I never use up the allotments of voice, texts, or data in the plan that I purchase.

I do no trading while overseas. Very occasionally I will pay a bill from overseas using cellular.

I shut down all access to cellular data from the many apps that are on my phone, and I turn them on one at a time when I really need them.

I don't worry about VPN or about getting local SIM cards. Life is too short.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:34 pm Before the pandemic I traveled a lot, usually two trips to Europe per year. My approach was not to make it easy for people to contact me. When I'm on vacation in a foreign country, I want to focus on that place and the people who live there, not on my friends and family back in the US. Let them learn to live without me being constantly available.

My children know that, in an emergency, they can always reach me by iMessage, by WhatsApp, or by email, all of which I can receive through wifi without a cellular connection.

I buy an international data plan from AT&T for each trip, but I use it lightly. I use it mostly for Apple Maps or Google Maps when I get lost in my wanderings around some new European city. I also use it to check my banking websites because I don't trust hotel wifi for that. And I use it to check voice mail once a day and to receive any text messages that are not iMessages. I never use up the allotments of voice, texts, or data in the plan that I purchase.

I do no trading while overseas. Very occasionally I will pay a bill from overseas using cellular.

I shut down all access to cellular data from the many apps that are on my phone, and I turn them on one at a time when I really need them.

That's great if your int'l data plan charges based on usage but what if it was instead a flat daily rate of $10/day (like I described in the original post) and you were going to be in Europe for 2-3 weeks? Would you take the same "I don't worry about local SIM cards because life is too short" approach?
diy60

Post by diy60 »

I admire folks that are adept at using the latest technology. However, being a retired couple we opt for convenience. As such, both spouse and I sign up for TravelPass when traveling ex-US. It's $10/day, and only if triggered by a cellular signal.

To lessen the dent to the wallet, only one of us uses cellular if needed at all. If we get separated, (happened on public transport once), we know how to turn on cellular data to regroup. Our last international trip before Covid (with an iPhone 6 & 7) I think one of us used TravelPass 3 days for a grand total hit of $30 plus tax. We are traveling to EU soon, and one of us is still on an iPhone 7, which doesn't support 5G. I don't anticipate any phone problems.

Edited to add underline.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

goonie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:53 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:34 pm Before the pandemic I traveled a lot, usually two trips to Europe per year. My approach was not to make it easy for people to contact me. When I'm on vacation in a foreign country, I want to focus on that place and the people who live there, not on my friends and family back in the US. Let them learn to live without me being constantly available.

That's great if your int'l data plan charges based on usage but what if it was instead a flat daily rate of $10/day (like I described in the original post) and you were going to be in Europe for 2-3 weeks? Would you take the same "I don't worry about local SIM cards because life is too short" approach?
I buy a flat monthly rate from AT&T (my cellular carrier). I always stay in Europe no less than two weeks, sometimes staying for three or four weeks.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:57 pm
I buy a flat monthly rate from AT&T (my cellular carrier). I always stay in Europe no less than two weeks, sometimes staying for three or four weeks.
And if your carrier/plan didn't have the flat monthly rate option and was instead a flat daily rate of $10/day?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

goonie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:21 pm
And if your carrier/plan didn't have the flat monthly rate option and was instead a flat daily rate of $10/day?
I would change carriers.
marc in merrimack

Re: questions about wifi and cellular when outside the USb

Post by marc in merrimack »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 pm
I would change carriers.
It looks like the major carriers- AT&T and Verizon, anyway - require a postpaid US plan to be eligible for a monthly international plan. The OP has a prepaid plan, hence no monthly option.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

I would change carriers.
Just for that? Without regard for anything else? For a feature that doesn't affect 95-99% of your life?

Isn't that just as bad (or worse) than worrying about local SIM cards? What happened to "life is too short"?
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

marc in merrimack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 pm
I would change carriers.
It looks like the major carriers- AT&T and Verizon, anyway - require a postpaid US plan to be eligible for a monthly international plan. The OP has a prepaid plan, hence no monthly option.
I'm wondering what AT&T monthly international plan we're talking about. I only see the day pass ($10/day).

https://www.att.com/international/
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

goonie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 pm
marc in merrimack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 pm
I would change carriers.
I'm wondering what AT&T monthly international plan we're talking about. I only see the day pass ($10/day).

https://www.att.com/international/
https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1008877/