questions about wifi and cellular when outside the US

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jfave33

Re: questions about wifi and cellular when outside the US

Post by jfave33 »

If you get the iphone 12/13 before you travel it is easy. Make sure your verizon wifi calling is set up before you leave. Get yourself an international esim plan before you leave. Trufone are good but a bit more expensive but you can get airalo or something else https://esimdb.com/

Set esim as the data line and turn on allow cellular data switching. Then when in the other country the verizon line will use wifi calling over the international data esim line. So you can call/text just like you are at home from your us number with no additional cost. It acts like it is wificalling though it is over a cellular data line.

See here for full apple instructions on dual sim (though the page isn't written very clearly)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

If you are stuck.with your iphone 7 to travel with then just use a local sim. Switch back and forth is fine. I wouldn't try to use verizon roaming travelpasses etc unless desperate. Make sure your phone is carrier unlocked before you leave if not already.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Would suggest just downloading WhatsApp and/or Signal. They let you communicate using whatever data connection you have. Would ask family/friends download these and communicate with you that way. Cellular providers are still quite byzantine when it comes to roaming. So frankly find it simpler to bypass them completely. Either option above will do that.

I've tried calling normally when abroad (sometimes it is unavoidable). Even if it is over WiFi, one still gets dinged for calling internationally.

If you can setup VPN on your phone, agree it is a good idea. This goes beyond just calling though.

Some cell providers will give you rather limited connectivity abroad. Sprint did this. T-mobile also does this (and did this prior to acquiring Sprint). Idk about other providers. So would need to check. However with those providers specifically, they give you 2G effectively. So very slow! Fine for texting or a call. Also can be ok if you have cached data. Not great for (even modest) internet usage.

In general would recommend caching as much data as you can before leaving or when using hotel WiFi, etc. Google Maps will cache areas. So just select areas around where you will be. Google Translate will cache languages. So pick relevant ones for your destination. Amazingly Google Translate can do optical character recognition and translate menus in real time just using caching (and maybe very weak internet)!

For faster internet grabbing a SIM is a really good idea obviously. As others have noted in the EU any provider can roam on all the others. Most US providers include Canada and Mexico with normal speeds. This all varies by country so more details helps.

Most modern phones can interact with any network you encounter. So wouldn't worry about that too much unless you have an old phone. If you are unsure, look into your phone's details
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
Topic Author
goonie

Re: questions about wifi and cellular when outside the USb

Post by goonie »

marc in merrimack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:55 pm
goonie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 pm
marc in merrimack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 pm
I would change carriers.
It looks like the major carriers- AT&T and Verizon, anyway - require a postpaid US plan to be eligible for a monthly international plan. The OP has a prepaid plan, hence no monthly option.
I'm wondering what AT&T monthly international plan we're talking about. I only see the day pass ($10/day).

https://www.att.com/international/
https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1008877/
Sounds like it's going away over time...
Heads up: AT&T Passport won’t be available to add to AT&T Unlimited, AT&T Mobile Share, or AT&T 4GB plans after August 12, 2021. You can add AT&T International Day Pass for discounted international roaming.
Not mentioning it on their main International page isn't a good sign either.

But $70/month for 2 GB? Or $140/month for 6 GB? And the overage charge is $30/GB? Wow! I definitely wouldn't switch carriers just to have access to that, even if it wasn't on its way out.
Last edited by goonie on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

jfave33 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:10 am
Set esim as the data line and turn on allow cellular data switching. Then when in the other country the verizon line will use wifi calling over the international data esim line. So you can call/text just like you are at home from your us number with no additional cost. It acts like it is wificalling though it is over a cellular data line.

Interesting. You're the 2nd person in this thread that has mentioned doing this...

Bigsmith wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:21 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:52 pm
Bigsmith wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:44 pm If you get an iPhone with eSIM capability and a data eSIM for the country or countries you'll be visiting, you can do Verizon wifi calling using eSIM data. In other words, you could make/receive calls and texts on your regular number from anywhere without paying Travelpass fees. Just make sure wifi calling is turned on, and cell data is turned off, for the Verizon SIM.
To be clear: you need to be on wifi to use wifi calling. You cannot make calls or send/receive texts through Verizon or any other provider's wifi calling using cellular data, and that includes eSIM data. (Or maybe you just meant having both usable at the same time.) You could Skype or use Google Voice using eSIM data, though.
There are reports on several fora including Flyertalk and Howardforums that with IOS 13 ++ you can do exactly what I said. If the phone has no voice service on the primary SIM it will simulate a wifi connection using eSIM data. I haven't tried this personally, to be clear.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

tomsense76 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:45 am
For faster internet grabbing a SIM is a really good idea obviously. As others have noted in the EU any provider can roam on all the others. Most US providers include Canada and Mexico with normal speeds. This all varies by country so more details helps.
Are there additional charges for that roaming?

killjoy2012 mentioned charges. I'm wondering if that's the case with prepaid SIMs and how that would work.

killjoy2012 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:22 pm
- Roaming with a local SIM within Europe is mostly pain free, but do your homework. Some plans may charge more per minute/GB when roaming. UK is not in Europe anymore, etc.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

goonie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:15 am
tomsense76 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:45 am
Are there additional charges for that roaming?

killjoy2012 mentioned charges. I'm wondering if that's the case with prepaid SIMs and how that would work.

killjoy2012 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:22 pm
- Roaming with a local SIM within Europe is mostly pain free, but do your homework. Some plans may charge more per minute/GB when roaming. UK is not in Europe anymore, etc.
Since 2017, there are no roaming charges within the EU. There are some exceptions, but unlikely as a tourist with a prepaid SIM you would be subject to those.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

bluebolt wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:11 am
Since 2017, there are no roaming charges within the EU. There are some exceptions, but unlikely as a tourist with a prepaid SIM you would be subject to those.
Thanks.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

goonie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 am
Thanks.
Yeah exactly. I think this page should help back that up.

The UK however is a different story. This recent article may be helpful.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

dboeger1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm The best alternative to that I've used is Google Fi, which is essentially a SIM you get here in the US that is kind of an MVNO for US-based networks, but they have agreements in place with most international networks to provide data roaming for the same $10/GB globally. So while $10/GB may still be higher than local rates depending on where you go, you get the convenience of just being able to use the same service and SIM that was working in the US, and it pretty much automatically works as soon as your plane lands.
Another vote for Google Fi. Seamless roaming at reasonable per-minute rates, and same data cost anywhere in the world.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

tomsense76 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:56 pm
goonie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 am
Thanks.
Yeah exactly. I think this page should help back that up.

The UK however is a different story. This recent article may be helpful.
Cool. Thanks for those links.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:59 pm
dboeger1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm The best alternative to that I've used is Google Fi, which is essentially a SIM you get here in the US that is kind of an MVNO for US-based networks, but they have agreements in place with most international networks to provide data roaming for the same $10/GB globally. So while $10/GB may still be higher than local rates depending on where you go, you get the convenience of just being able to use the same service and SIM that was working in the US, and it pretty much automatically works as soon as your plane lands.
Another vote for Google Fi. Seamless roaming at reasonable per-minute rates, and same data cost anywhere in the world.
I tried Google Fi in early 2017 and had a terrible experience. The service didn't work 70-80% of the time (and I purchased a Google phone specifically meant for Fi). Between myself and Google, we never could figure out what the issue was. We went through all kinds of troubleshooting over a 1-2 week period before I finally gave up and asked for a complete refund, which they agreed to.

Needless to say, I'm very hesistant to try it again. I would probably need to see it gain more mainstream acceptance before I gave it another whirl.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

goonie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:33 pm I tried Google Fi in early 2017 and had a terrible experience. The service didn't work 70-80% of the time (and I purchased a Google phone specifically meant for Fi). Between myself and Google, we never could figure out what the issue was. We went through all kinds of troubleshooting over a 1-2 week period before I finally gave up and asked for a complete refund, which they agreed to.

Needless to say, I'm very hesistant to try it again. I would probably need to see it gain more mainstream acceptance before I gave it another whirl.
FWIW, we've been happy customers since May 2016. No issues domestically, and seamless roaming in multiple countries in Western and Eastern Europe.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Google Fi is really overpriced. $10/GB, while (for OP's destination, Spain) Truphone charges $6 for 1GB. For heavier data users it's an even bigger difference (e.g., 20 GB for $29, vs. $200 on Fi).
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

02nz wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:24 pm Google Fi is really overpriced. $10/GB, while (for OP's destination, Spain) Truphone charges $6 for 1GB. For heavier data users it's an even bigger difference (e.g., 20 GB for $29, vs. $200 on Fi).
Yes, it's not the best bang for the buck for heavy data users. But it's the best thing since sliced bread for international travelers, making hunting for a local SIM truly optional.

It's great for families too, if you don't consume a lot of mobile data and don't want to pay for the data you don't use.

If you do use 20GB, however, please note that your data bill is capped at $60/mo for one person (less per person on a family plan).

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6201699
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

goonie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:00 am
jfave33 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:10 am

Interesting. You're the 2nd person in this thread that has mentioned doing this...

Bigsmith wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:21 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:52 pm
Bigsmith wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:44 pm If you get an iPhone with eSIM capability and a data eSIM for the country or countries you'll be visiting, you can do Verizon wifi calling using eSIM data. In other words, you could make/receive calls and texts on your regular number from anywhere without paying Travelpass fees. Just make sure wifi calling is turned on, and cell data is turned off, for the Verizon SIM.
To be clear: you need to be on wifi to use wifi calling. You cannot make calls or send/receive texts through Verizon or any other provider's wifi calling using cellular data, and that includes eSIM data. (Or maybe you just meant having both usable at the same time.) You could Skype or use Google Voice using eSIM data, though.
There are reports on several fora including Flyertalk and Howardforums that with IOS 13 ++ you can do exactly what I said. If the phone has no voice service on the primary SIM it will simulate a wifi connection using eSIM data. I haven't tried this personally, to be clear.
Yes O2nz is incorrect. Wifi calling works over data using dual sim iphones. I've done it before. It is iphone only. Androids unfortunately can't do this.
Topic Author
goonie

Post by goonie »

jfave33 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:25 pm
Yes O2nz is incorrect. Wifi calling works over data using dual sim iphones. I've done it before. It is iphone only. Androids unfortunately can't do this.
Have you done it outside the US? Just making sure.

If it's reliable, this is a game changer. There would no longer be any reason to deal with domestic carriers' international plans.
sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita »

Does the above discussion mean that one would be able to receive an SMS from US abroad using a dual SIM iPhone 12+? If so, this would be a major relief for expats struggling with receiving OTP, say somewhere in Europe when Google Voice is not an option (e.g., with Chase). And for me, a reason to switch to the Apple ecosystem unless Android-based devices come up with something similar.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Make sure you understand the fine print with VZ Travel Pass:

*High speed data applies for the first 0.5 GB/day with 2G reduced speeds thereafter.

500MB really isn't all that much...
02nz

Post by 02nz »

deleted, duplicate post
Last edited by 02nz on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:04 pm
02nz wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:24 pm Google Fi is really overpriced. $10/GB, while (for OP's destination, Spain) Truphone charges $6 for 1GB. For heavier data users it's an even bigger difference (e.g., 20 GB for $29, vs. $200 on Fi).
Yes, it's not the best bang for the buck for heavy data users. But it's the best thing since sliced bread for international travelers, making hunting for a local SIM truly optional.

It's great for families too, if you don't consume a lot of mobile data and don't want to pay for the data you don't use.

If you do use 20GB, however, please note that your data bill is capped at $60/mo for one person (less per person on a family plan).

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6201699
Thanks, I forgot about the cap. Corrected my earlier post. I looked into Google Fi a few years ago but I think many people will find eSIM a significantly cheaper solution for a tiny bit more work (download eSIM app, buy plan - a couple of minutes), no hunting for SIM cards. BTW there are eSIM plans that cover multiple countries.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

02nz wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:26 pm Thanks, I forgot about the cap. Corrected my earlier post. I looked into Google Fi a few years ago but I think many people will find eSIM a significantly cheaper solution for a tiny bit more work (download eSIM app, buy plan - a couple of minutes). BTW there are eSIM plans that cover multiple countries.
I wouldn't go out and get Google Fi just for international travel. But for those for whose use case it's a good deal domestically, international roaming is just a cherry on top.

A little-known feature that makes Fi even better are free "data-only" SIM cards. We used them for a few years for school-aged kids to give them data lines with no voice (used Google Voice or Hangouts over data in rare cases they needed to call) - just so they always have means to contact us.

Inasmuch as they stayed in WiFi area for most of their data use, it was essentially free for those additional lines, until we got them their own lines at $15/mo each (still a great deal if mobile data use is minimal).
LoveMyDog

Post by LoveMyDog »

It pays to shop for esim. Since I don’t know where you’re going, esimdb, like another user mentioned, is a good starting point. Unfortunately, they don’t have the most updated prices. I bought a France 1gb good for 30 days esim for $2.50 from https://esim.knowroaming.com/. While this will be my first time using their esim product, I’ve been their sim sticker customer forever and have always liked their service.

I have a Google Voice number. Install their app on the phone and it will ring your app. Do this before you leave the States as you’ll need to do verifications before your GV number is activated. When you’re ready to go, set your call forwarding from VZ to GV. You can test all of this prior to your trip and understand what to expect.