Delete gmails

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoops777

Delete gmails

Post by hoops777 »

Does anyone know how to delete 5000 gmails off of an iPad easily?
Thanks
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
RickBoglehead

Re: Delete gmails

Post by RickBoglehead »

They not on the iPad, they're on Gmail's server. Deleting the account from the iPad removed them. Are you trying to free up space,or prep the iPad for sale?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

I had 7800 emails on my phone and they are also on my iPad or wherever. So just trying to delete 99.9 pct of them and it seemed easier on my iPad.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

Search for “archive all gmail messages”. May need to use a web browser to do it(chrome/safari) as apps are sometimes limited.
My other vehicle is an index fund.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

To bulk delete all of your emails, do this:

Log onto your Gmail account using their web interface. (https://mail.google.com)
Click on the label All Mail in the left column.
Near the top of the page, just under the search box, is a row of icons, the first is a checkbox. Click on that.
You'll see this message at the top of the list of emails, "All 50 conversations on this page are selected. Select all XXXX conversations in All Mail"
Click on the blue link that reads "Select all XXXX conversations in All Mail"
Near the top of the page, just under the search box, is a row of icons. Click on the trash can icon.
Done.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

hoops777 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:09 pm I had 7800 emails on my phone and they are also on my iPad or wherever. So just trying to delete 99.9 pct of them and it seemed easier on my iPad.
I just verified these steps on my iPad. Very simple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208661

Cheers
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Different ways to tackle this. I usually prefer to do on a desktop so I can sort by sender. You could probably find email apps that do that.

Just using your iPad email, if you want to delete everything, the click on the "edit" at top right and "select all" and then archive. If you would rather delete vs archive, you can change that setting in that email accounts settings.

Depending on how many weeks of emails the iPad downloads you may have to change that setting.

If you don't want to delete everything it is harder, you can click on edit and choose 1 by one which ones to archive/delete, which would take forever. Or you could mark all and then go and unmark the ones you want to keep.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

hoops777 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:09 pm I had 7800 emails on my phone and they are also on my iPad or wherever. So just trying to delete 99.9 pct of them and it seemed easier on my iPad.
My wife's email account (Yahoo) accumulated lots of emails. Many times what you have and I periodically have to work at clearing out useless off emails - think store "bargain" emails. She uses an I-Pad. She used to have her phone linked to yahoo mail, but after several times of her phone not working due to being full, I convinced her to not use her phone for emails. Some of these senders generated more than 2 emails a day. She never opens 99% of these emails, but has a FOMO fear.

Clearing a large number of Yahoo emails via her I-Pad is tortuous. You have select action box individually for each msg, then use the delete function to delete a group of msgs.

I found using my PC's browser to log into her Email as an effective method, where I can quickly filter by sender then sort by date, then click "action box" for the oldest, then Ctrl-Click on say 60 days ago msg, so I get hundreds or thousands flagged, and then select delete, thus deleting everything older than 60 days from that sender. The last clean-out I did I deleted around 40,000 msgs in about 1 hours time via my PC.

After the last episode, she allowed me to unsubscribe her from some the stores, but not enough IMO.

Edit to add: I essentially have been doing what GaLawDawg describes.
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

Depending on how your email account is set up, deleting them off the iPad may delete them everywhere.
Is this what you want?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

If you're trying to delete the emails from Gmail, period, then logging into Gmail on a desktop browser is going to be much easier and faster.

If you just want them off the iPad, then simply remove the account if you're using the iPad's built-in mail client. If you're using the Gmail app, remove the app. Or if you want all private data off the iPad, then reset the iPad (google for precise directions).
Watty

Post by Watty »

Here is how to delete all emails before a certain date.

https://support.google.com/accounts/thr ... date?hl=en
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Note that archive and delete are different concepts in gmail:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/15/tech ... elete.html
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 am Note that archive and delete are different concepts in gmail:

I have thousands of gmails and don't want to delete them. If I archive all of them, will I free up storage space?
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 am Note that archive and delete are different concepts in gmail:

I have thousands of gmails and don't want to delete them. If I archive all of them, will I free up storage space?
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

No. Archived emails count in your storage quota.

One solution is to create an archived account specifically for older emails. Set up a new account, something like:

"bhwabeck3533.archive2021-at -gmail.com"

Then move all of your emails from your active account to this archive account. There are a couple of ways to do that, a web search will give you some methods.

Once they are all moved to the archive account, you can delete them from your current account (just be sure the current account and archive account are NOT linked via IMAP) and it will free up all of that storage quota on your active account.
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:17 am No. Archived emails count in your storage quota.

Once they are all moved to the archive account, you can delete them from your current account (just be sure the current account and archive account are NOT linked via IMAP) and it will free up all of that storage quota on your active account.
Thank you! I am going to try this after I figure out the "IMAP linkage".

Go Dawgs!
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:24 am
galawdawg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:17 am No. Archived emails count in your storage quota.

Thank you! I am going to try this after I figure out the "IMAP linkage".

Go Dawgs!
Try this, it should work:

Sign into the Gmail account where you want to move the emails to (the "archive" account).
Click on the gear icon (settings) in the upper-right corner, select See All Settings.
Click on the Accounts and Import tab.
Click on Import mail and contacts.
You’ll then be prompted to sign into the account you want to import from (your current/active account).

When the process is complete, sign out of both accounts. Then sign in to your current/active account and delete your old emails. They'll still be in your newly created "archive" account. That should do the trick!
Watty

Post by Watty »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 am

You can also just find all your large emails manually then save any large attachments you want to keep then delete the unneeded email with large attachments.

To find the large email just type in

larger:20mb

in the search box. You can of course change the number.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable.

I removed a post which linked to a site that bypassed the NY Times paywall, a violation of the NY Times Terms of service.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bagels

Post by Bagels »

The question is actually about cleaning up an iPad, not deleting gmail, which is good because gmail emails are forever.

Just as a side note, you can use google's "Takeout" to download any or all of your google activity: gmails, search history, etc.

Code: Select all

takeout.google.com
The last time I did it, I saw that gmails I had deleted were there.

Anyway, it may be useful to occasionally download and copy to a hard drive or burn to a disk in case one day your gmail is truly deleted or appropriated by a hacker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Takeout
missing [b]madsinger[/b]’s monthly reports