Lastpass MFA Options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
boogiehead

Lastpass MFA Options

Post by boogiehead »

I just realized that lastpass offers 2FA and would like to enable it. However, they have a few authenticator options: lastpass authenticator, google authenticator, microsoft authenticator, toopher, duo security, and grid. Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of which one would be the best in terms or usability/security or are they all pretty much the same? Surprisingly when I took a quick look in the app store google is rated very lowly compared to the microsoft.
anon_investor

Re: Lastpass MFA Options

Post by anon_investor »

boogiehead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 pm I just realized that lastpass offers 2FA and would like to enable it. However, they have a few authenticator options: lastpass authenticator, google authenticator, microsoft authenticator, toopher, duo security, and grid. Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of which one would be the best in terms or usability/security or are they all pretty much the same? Surprisingly when I took a quick look in the app store google is rated very lowly compared to the microsoft.
I personally like Microsoft Authenticator, because you can set it up so that a finger print is needed to open the app (even if the phone is unlocked). Extra security, in case you accidentally leave your phone unlocked.
squirm

Post by squirm »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:57 pm
boogiehead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 pm I just realized that lastpass offers 2FA and would like to enable it. However, they have a few authenticator options: lastpass authenticator, google authenticator, microsoft authenticator, toopher, duo security, and grid. Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of which one would be the best in terms or usability/security or are they all pretty much the same? Surprisingly when I took a quick look in the app store google is rated very lowly compared to the microsoft.
I personally like Microsoft Authenticator, because you can set it up so that a finger print is needed to open the app (even if the phone is unlocked). Extra security, in case you accidentally leave your phone unlocked.
Yes, that is how I have mine too.
Fudgie

Post by Fudgie »

:shock:
Last edited by Fudgie on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

In my personal situation, I'd probably use Duo Mobile.
When using 2FA on other sites, some sites allow you to use ANY authenticator, others require a specific authenticator.
Since two of those in my situation require Duo Mobile, it saves me from installing and using more than one authenticator.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

I use Microsoft Authenticator because it was recommended for work. Different job now requires Duo Mobile but I still have Microsoft for all other accounts. I’ve used Google in the past. They’re all pretty similar.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I've started to use authy. With last pass, and maybe even other programs, even if it doesn't list authy, you can choose Google authenticator, scan the QR code in Authy, and it will work in Authy.
superskyliner

Post by superskyliner »

I have been using yubikey for mfa. The yubikey can be deployed a few different ways. It can be used as a secure u2f or fido key. Additionally it can be used with the yubico authenticator where the OTP password key is stored in side the yubikey and the data can be read via NFC by your phone.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I previously used Google Authenticator, and it was great. My work account now requires the MS Authenticator, and it supports push authentication for both that account as well as my personal Microsoft account. I don't need the Google Authenticator for push auth on my Google account since that's built into Android, so I just use the MS Authenticator for everything.

But TOTP is an open standard, so any of the major, well-known apps (Google, MS, Authy, Duo, LastPass, etc) will be just fine.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I use Google Authenticator, mostly because it was the first option I came across. It's easy to use, scan the QR code when you setup a new account and ready to go. You can also turn on Face ID with the app.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:57 pm
The LastPass authenticator has that feature as well.