Car Alignment - Necessary?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
an_asker

Car Alignment - Necessary?

Post by an_asker »

I recently got the front wheel bearing and strut assemblies replaced on my car. My trusted auto mechanic suggested that I take the car to a place that does alignment - he does not - and see if it needs it, in which case I need to get it done. When asked if he could recommend a place, he suggested Pep Boys among a few.

I took the car to Pep Boys today. Asked for the alignment to be checked - they do advertise "free alignment check". The rep asked why I needed it to be checked. I honestly said why "because mechanic did some work and wanted me to get it checked," and then - upon being asked - told him what that work was. Rep immediately says "well, in that case, it needs alignment." In other words, I don't think they're going to even check if it needs alignment - they'll just do it and charge me for it.

I don't find any difference in the car's handling as compared to before getting the work. My mechanic said that I needed to get it checked, not that I necessarily needed it. Right now, I have an appointment with them for tomorrow. But my question is - is alignment necessary after the work done (as explained above)? Or should I take it some place else who will first diagnose if the work is indeed necessary?
neilpilot

Re: Car Alignment - Necessary?

Post by neilpilot »

Maybe someone who knows more will disagree, but I don't see where an "alignment check" is any different from doing an alignment where no adjustment is required.
student

Post by student »

I did alignment once and I consider it a ripoff in that case. It was my own fault. They suggested alignment since I put on new tires, I agreed. Afterward, I saw the printout, the data before and after the alignment, and I believe it was a ripoff since the delta was small. You may want to ask them to check and give you the printout to bring it to your mechanic.
Last edited by student on Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Yes, alignment needs to be checked. They should only charge if they adjust it.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
wander

Post by wander »

Usually, I don't take car in for wheel alignment for struts and wheel baring replacements. But if you drive off-road a lot, then it is very helpful to buy a life-time alignment package so all the charges are free every time you take it in and you always have peace of mind.
I have been driving my car for 25 years and I have a life-time alignment deal; However, I don't bring the car in often unless when I replace inner & outter tie rods, steering racks or something happens to the drive and tires.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

My local Toyota dealer provides free alignment checks everytime I go in for service. This tells me no modern vehicle requires it!
Topic Author
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Thanks for the responses, but they appear to be a mixed bag. Like I said in the OP, it does not appear that this place is going to do just a check (though they do loudly advertise a "free alignment check") - it is either the full deal or nothing.

We definitely don't do any off-road driving. With that in mind, what is the worst case scenario of not getting the alignment checked? Wheels will wear out quicker? Anything else?
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

an_asker wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:05 pm Thanks for the responses, but they appear to be a mixed bag. Like I said in the OP, it does not appear that this place is going to do just a check (though they do loudly advertise a "free alignment check") - it is either the full deal or nothing.

We definitely don't do any off-road driving. With that in mind, what is the worst case scenario of not getting the alignment checked? Wheels will wear out quicker? Anything else?
Well steering and handling are affected by alignment, so in theory your car might not be as safe or capable in an emergency situation.
But more commonly, the tires might wear unevenly or the vehicle might pull in a certain direction when the steering wheel is centered.
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

My place charges me $25 to check it, another $75 if it needs alignment. I do this whenever I replace tires or have work done that could affect alignment. I’ve had alignment issues in the past that caused uneven tire wear, at which point it was too late to save the tires, and then I had to do an alignment anyway.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

an_asker wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:05 pm Thanks for the responses, but they appear to be a mixed bag. Like I said in the OP, it does not appear that this place is going to do just a check (though they do loudly advertise a "free alignment check") - it is either the full deal or nothing.

Mixed-bag responses on Bogleheads? Never saw that before.

If a business advertises "free alignment check", I don't know that it's reasonable to refuse an alignment if the printout shows you need one. However as I've mentioned in other threads, maybe because I'm not an expert, I'm skeptical of the accuracy of the alignment equipment/procedures. I'd like to see current research showing the results of alignment checks on the same vehicles at multiple locations. And I'd like to verify that the tolerances shown in the printouts correspond correctly to manufacturer tolerances.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

an_asker wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:18 pm I recently got the front wheel bearing and strut assemblies replaced on my car. My trusted auto mechanic suggested that I take the car to a place that does alignment - he does not - and see if it needs it, in which case I need to get it done. When asked if he could recommend a place, he suggested Pep Boys among a few.

I took the car to Pep Boys today. Asked for the alignment to be checked - they do advertise "free alignment check". The rep asked why I needed it to be checked. I honestly said why "because mechanic did some work and wanted me to get it checked," and then - upon being asked - told him what that work was. Rep immediately says "well, in that case, it needs alignment." In other words, I don't think they're going to even check if it needs alignment - they'll just do it and charge me for it.

I don't find any difference in the car's handling as compared to before getting the work. My mechanic said that I needed to get it checked, not that I necessarily needed it. Right now, I have an appointment with them for tomorrow. But my question is - is alignment necessary after the work done (as explained above)? Or should I take it some place else who will first diagnose if the work is indeed necessary?
No, this is a total rip off. Beware!

And Pep Boys is one of the greatest rip off company of them all.

Again, beware.
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

You don't mention what model car you have but generally aftermarket struts have a slotted bolt hole (where it mounts to the spindle) to allow for camber adjustment. No way for your mechanic to eyeball them to specs upon install. We're talking +/- degrees here. So get that alignment done. Also make sure your tires aren't worn when you do so.

Camber is the in / out tilt of the top of the wheel. When it's off you'll wear through the inner / outer edges of the tire respectively.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

rh00p wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:07 am You don't mention what model car you have but generally aftermarket struts have a slotted bolt hole (where it mounts to the spindle) to allow for camber adjustment. No way for your mechanic to eyeball them to specs upon install. We're talking +/- degrees here. So get that alignment done. Also make sure your tires aren't worn when you do so.

Camber is the in / out tilt of the top of the wheel. When it's off you'll wear through the inner / outer edges of the tire respectively.
+1. Good response by someone who knows what he is talking about. I agree that alignments are often oversold, but when a mechanic recommends it and he will not benefit from it, that alone suggests you should have it done.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Not all aspects of alignment (camber, caster and toe) are adjustable on all cars. Incorrectly set toe, front or rear, will wear tires prematurely. Typically, toe is slightly positive in front and slightly negative in the rear. I'm talking thousandths to hundredths of an inch. This is to help vehicles go around corners properly. If the settings are too aggressive tire wear will accelerate.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

It won't be long before any alignment problems will show with tread wear. If you want insurance against that, get it checked. If not, then wait and see. We don't get checks unless we feel a difference in the ride or have had some relatively significant experience with a pot hole or something similar. Same with tire rotation for us or even going to dealer for oil changes that are "free" for first couple of years. Different decision trees for different people.

Tim
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

Yes, it will need to be aligned, replacing the struts can upset the geometry. Take it to a reputable tire shop or the dealer.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

delete
Last edited by kimura king on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I recently lost a set of tires because of uneven wear from bad alignment. I’ve learned my lesson and will get an alignment after replacing tires or any suspension work.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Trader Joe wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:57 pm
an_asker wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:18 pm I recently got the front wheel bearing and strut assemblies replaced on my car. My trusted auto mechanic suggested that I take the car to a place that does alignment - he does not - and see if it needs it, in which case I need to get it done. When asked if he could recommend a place, he suggested Pep Boys among a few.
No, this is a total rip off. Beware!

And Pep Boys is one of the greatest rip off company of them all.

Again, beware.
Alignment service is one that is sometimes offered when not needed, but it is not simply a rip off. It can affect tire wear and handling of the vehicle. It should not need to be done often, but replacing suspension components like the struts is one thing that is likely to change the alignment.

Note that it was a mechanic who does not benefit financially from it being done who recommended it.

I would go ahead and do it.