Home security - what do you do? Wyze Security System?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Home security - what do you do? Wyze Security System?

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm thinking about making my house a bit more secure or at least getting a couple things to make a potential burglar think twice. One thing is a Wyze security system but not sure if it's worth it (even though it's extremely cheap). Anyone have one?

Any other things you do to help make your house more secure or scare a burglar off?
gips

Re: Home security - what do you do? Wyze Security System?

Post by gips »

we purchased vivint before wyze came out with their offering, have generally been happy with them though the online reviews are terrible and now they look very pricy compared to wyze. we're in the process of selling our house, will be interesting what happens when I try to cancel my service...I was careful to go month to month but apparently people have had a hard stopping billing.

anyhow, in today's market, wyze looks pretty good though I haven't done a comprehensive review.
riverant

Post by riverant »

I use SmartThings. I’m loathe to sign up for a subscription service.

When we bought our house, an old adt system was installed but inactive. Yet, it would randomly shout things and sporadically beep at me until I tore it out of the wall.
student

Post by student »

I have the Wyze system for a couple of months. It is working. I will most likely continue the subscription.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

SimpliSafe. $14.99 or $24.99, no contract. 8 years.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Larger, newer, & more expensive homes on three sides of my home.
Yapping dogs.
Smith & Wesson.
State Farm.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

We just cancelled our Protection One (ADT) system earlier this month (due to system malfunction, system obsolescence, ridiculous costs, limited functionality). The breakup process didn't endear ADT to me either.

Still haven't decided which way to go: 1)do nothing, 2)SimpliSafe, or 3)no system but decent (hidden) cameras. I like the ease, flexibility and pricing structure of SimpliSafe. But I'm not convinced even that is worth it based on neighborhood and our particulars. Decision is yet to be made.

I had to laugh though, when I cancelled the alarm, I then removed the monitoring clause from our insurance policy. Impact? $21 per year increase. Large insurer with big local presence. Apparently, they don't think it's worth much, at least in our zip code. But more importantly, I look at my whole picture - neighbor proximity/alertness, law enforcement response time, location within sub (egress), lack of any break-ins nearby in last 25 years, door/window reinforcement, what law enforcement living nearby does themselves, how much we/neighbors are home, potential $ losses, my own defensive training, and having a big dog etc. At least with SimpliSafe, if I suddenly change my mind, I can be up and running in a few days. And lots of options - water sensors, temp monitors, basic alarm stuff, app access (with the more expensive monitoring package), etc.

I'm interested in what others here are doing too.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

In general, the money could be better spent on an insurance rider for valuables or else not worth worrying about. If you're rich and care about security, you live in a gated community. If you're average in income, most people don't have much worth stealing: computers, maybe some gaming consoles, some tvs, and possibly a small amount of cash on hand. Furniture and appliances are too bulky and heavy for most thieves to bother with. If you want to make your home marginally more difficult to break into than your neighbor's, install a grade 1 deadbolt on your doors.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

oldfort wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm In general, the money could be better spent on an insurance rider for valuables or else not worth worrying about. If you're rich and care about security, you live in a gated community. If you're average in income, most people don't have much worth stealing: computers, maybe some gaming consoles, some tvs, and possibly a small amount of cash on hand. Furniture and appliances are too bulky and heavy for most thieves to bother with. If you want to make your home marginally more difficult to break into than your neighbor's, install a grade 1 deadbolt on your doors.
Guns and jewelry seem popular too.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:36 pm
oldfort wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm In general, the money could be better spent on an insurance rider for valuables or else not worth worrying about. If you're rich and care about security, you live in a gated community. If you're average in income, most people don't have much worth stealing: computers, maybe some gaming consoles, some tvs, and possibly a small amount of cash on hand. Furniture and appliances are too bulky and heavy for most thieves to bother with. If you want to make your home marginally more difficult to break into than your neighbor's, install a grade 1 deadbolt on your doors.
Guns and Jewelry seem popular too.
If you have guns, get a safe, as much to keep them out of the hands of kids as theft. If you don't have kids yourself, you might have younger grandkids or nieces and nephews come over. For jewelry, the money is better spent on insurance or a small safety deposit box.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

We use SimpliSafe, $14.99+tax. We get an insurance discount for having an alarm system, which covers most of the annual cost.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Also consider the Ring security system. Like Simpisafe its easy to self install and is avail with lots of different sensors. Its monitoring option is $10 per month.
daw007

Post by daw007 »

I purchased AlarmDecoder - Pi Hat version and hooked into the existing system already in the home. You can avoid the service contract with a 'normal' alarm company and trigger alerts to your phone yourself or have someone monitor it for you from afar.

https://www.alarmdecoder.com/catalog/pr ... ucts_id/48
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

daw007 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:37 pm I purchased AlarmDecoder - Pi Hat version and hooked into the existing system already in the home. You can avoid the service contract with a 'normal' alarm company and trigger alerts to your phone yourself or have someone monitor it for you from afar.

https://www.alarmdecoder.com/catalog/pr ... ucts_id/48
Also "avoids" a UL listed dispatch company from sending police or fire, and avoids a discount on your insurance...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Gated communities are not any safer.

Break-ins occur regardless of contents, junkies don't know what you have until they get in.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:00 pm I'm thinking about making my house a bit more secure or at least getting a couple things to make a potential burglar think twice. One thing is a Wyze security system but not sure if it's worth it (even though it's extremely cheap). Anyone have one?

Any other things you do to help make your house more secure or scare a burglar off?
Easily found via Google. https://www.cnet.com/home/security/home ... break-ins/

https://www.safewise.com/blog/10-simple ... -new-home/

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... ouse+safer
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I, actually my kid, have a tiny turtle. It bites if you stick your finger in it's mouth. And some dull knifes in the kitchen.
That's about it. If I felt like I needed more, I would move.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Love our Nest cameras.
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

We have an astute, loud barking dog. We also have deadbolts, hold almost nothing of great value at home, but I'm considering the Blink security system just to have eyes on any incidents. The Blink 3 is on sale right now at Costco for $119 ($80 off) and the Blink 5 is $199 ($100 off). No monthly fees.
Light weight baby!
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

Compared to Simplisafe, Ring is a economical option and are both apples to apples comparison in terms of ease, working and initial setup.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

It is not popular here, but if you want a high quality functional system that is easy to install with and without options for central station monitoring, I suggest the alarm.com based systems. I use a company that is 100% online called suretyhome.com and I use the Qolsys IQ panel. It is totally wireless, possible to be 100% DIY (you can hire services to install if you have 10 thumbs) and has a very very broad set of supported sensors ranging from standard motion or open/close sensors to thermostats, glass break, light/switch controls, smoke/fire, water, temperature, etc.

It is not the cheapest, but it is by far better technology and infrastructure than almost anything else out there (these systems are often the ones used in higher end new construction) and alarm.com is NOT in the business of monetizing your sensor data (not true for just about any of the other vendors suggested here.)
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I think this depends a great deal on the area you live in...in our neck of the woods we live on Lake Michigan and have all of our property fenced and secured by cameras and two very well trained K9s. People can and do have the right of way on the beach. We post signs but people dont read...they are greeted by our K9s...We pay a lot of money to protect our place and my family. Yea guns are good and all that but really once a weapon is out its kinda too late all ready..I think a simple alarm is fine for simple crooks but if you are really worried about things either pay for good protection, move, or get a very good dog. Everything can be beat by a real professional so....the best advise is stay alert, do your homework and keep bad things away from children,,,and idiots.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

RickBoglehead wrote: Gated communities are not any safer.

Break-ins occur regardless of contents, junkies don't know what you have until they get in.
The average value of property taken in a home burglary is $2400. 1-2% of households have a home burglary each year. For most people, the expected loss due to a home burglary is negligible. If you have a lot of valuables, insuring them or getting a safety deposit box, is more important than relying on a home security system to deter theft.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

retiringwhen wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:33 am It is not popular here, but if you want a high quality functional system that is easy to install with and without options for central station monitoring, I suggest the alarm.com based systems. I use a company that is 100% online called suretyhome.com and I use the Qolsys IQ panel. It is totally wireless, possible to be 100% DIY (you can hire services to install if you have 10 thumbs) and has a very very broad set of supported sensors ranging from standard motion or open/close sensors to thermostats, glass break, light/switch controls, smoke/fire, water, temperature, etc.

It is not the cheapest, but it is by far better technology and infrastructure than almost anything else out there (these systems are often the ones used in higher end new construction) and alarm.com is NOT in the business of monetizing your sensor data (not true for just about any of the other vendors suggested here.)
The upside of this system is that, unlike with most consumer grade systems, the hardware does not tie you to one company for monitoring. This is appealing. Also, you can apparently use a combination of wired and wireless sensors, which is also appealing.

The downside of this system is that, unlike with most consumer grade systems, the hardware does not tie you to one company for monitoring, so you have to figure out out yourself. Multiple companies sell the hardware, and multiple companies sell the monitoring. I was not able to confidently figure out what "brains/hub" equipment I would need to go with which wireless sensors except for one website, where the cost of the hardware came to over $1k. Research indicated there was some way to integrate this system to Z-wave, but the integration was unclear to me.
Then, it also seemed that to make any use of the system, I would be required to have some minimal subscription stating at about $10/m, and the more I wanted to monitor the higher the costs got.

I ended up going with the Abode system. Monitoring is $200/year after the first year, but includes Zwave automations and professional monitoring, although the basic system works without monitoring, and there is a $60/year option. At least I'm not directly sharing data with Google, Amazon (Ring), etc. The hardware checked all the boxes - acoustical glass break (missing from Ring), recessed (hidden) door positions switches (missing from Ring), fire alarm listener (missing from many systems, although with Wyze the camera listens for the T3 sound while it listens to everything else in your house)
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Had ADT for about 9 years. When that system's alarm would get set off accidentally, ADT never responded in LESS than 30 minutes. Never! It's expensive and provides a false sense of security. We now use Eufy for video surveillance. I believe it's better than Ring because Eufy has its own built-in video storage capability so there is no monthly service fee. In addition, I have ADT window stickers and signs posted as well.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Mount a security cam at each of your entryways. Mount it high enough so someone can't walk by and grab the cam. My cams are visible from the street. Do the cams deter the crooks? Hope so. I use Blue Iris which requires being comfortable setting it up on a PC and running ethernet to IP cams.

I don't think monitored alarm systems are that useful by themselves. There are alot of false alarms so the police may take awhile to respond. If an alarm goes off how do you know what triggered it without video?
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

student wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 pm I have the Wyze system for a couple of months. It is working. I will most likely continue the subscription.
Have 4 cameras on my Wyze system. Generally works well. Certainly does for the price. Using my Orbi WiFi probably helped.

Doubles as a dog cam.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I have one Wyze camera and two remote control plugs. They have worked quite well. The camera is set up for motion detection and I monitor it and use the plugs to turn lights off and on in the evening when we travel so there isn't a regular observable pattern. The system has worked perfectly.

I haven't used any of Wyze's extended services (Cam Plus), although it seems quite reasonable at $14.99 per year.
goaties

Post by goaties »

(deleted)
Last edited by goaties on Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

You have no burglar alarm system BUT you have a ADT sign at the front and back doors. Your neighbor has no burglar alarm system or signs posted. Where are the bad guys going to break into your home or the neighbor? My guess being on the insurance loss prevention side of the business for 30 plus years….your neighbor :happy
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

We had the very best security system.......our terrier mix had a very loud bark. If the front or back door opened he'd run down the stairs and hit the front door like an NFL lineman. During the night he'd bark if a deer walked through our yard. A great watchdog. Sadly, he got old and passed away last year. I never worried about security when Petey was on duty.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

I bought an adt sign on ebay and put it out front of the house like everyone else.

I keep the blinds mostly closed downstairs so it's hard to look in the windows and see what might be worth smashing and grabbing.

I make it look like someone is always home. At night always have a light or two on. I have had neighbors park in my driveway when I'm away.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Put security hinges on outward opening garage walk-in door. Put painted plywood inside a large garage window. Replaced glass windows in garage door with lexan. Installed a kill switch into garage door circuit for nights and weekends away. Installed brass shields over lock area of each door. Installed “Charley bars” into every sliding glass door. Installed metal mesh behind decorative “security” doors. Put an “ electronic alarm” sign or decal on every window and door.