Driveway weeds

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
guppyguy

Driveway weeds

Post by guppyguy »

Anybody re-seal or clean out or treat or whatever the expansion gaps in their driveway (concrete) so that weeds aren't coming up every other week?
howard71

Re: Driveway weeds

Post by howard71 »

Round up always does the trick for me. Just watch where you spray it.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Weeds aren't the worse thing about the expansion joints, I don't think.

The joint being unsealed allows moisture to fill in the opening, resulting in possible damage to the exposed concrete sides of the joint.

Though I live in sunny Florida, seems extreme cold with an open expansion joint could lead to bad outcomes as much as constant water intrusion via liquid sunshine.

Hopefully a BH who has found a good product to reseal expansion joints will post.

OP, glad you started this thread. Certainly our casa's driveway and sidewalks need a little TLC.

Home maintenance never ends. Just now paid to get rid of some resurrection ferns growing on my shingles. I have a wind mitigation inspection next week, I didn't want anything to cause any issues for my roof.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

I spray the weeds but last year noticed water was eating away the foundation under the asphalt driveway where it meets the road, either the driveway or the road had shrunk about an inch.. Called in a local sealer who just gooped the split between the road and the driveway and a couple cracks from the water damage. Talked about getting the whole driveway sealed but he suggested I skip that. Cost me $150. The driveway was replaced about 10 years ago.

Noticed after posting you are talking concrete, oops.
Regards | Bob
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

howard71 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:26 pm Round up always does the trick for me. Just watch where you spray it.
I have found that some chemicals degrade concrete. May depend on how the concrete was formulated. Some people use a propane weed burner - like a flame thrower attached to a string trimmer shaft. Don't know what that does to concrete though. Certainly would not be good for asphalt.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

jebmke wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:08 pm
howard71 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:26 pm Round up always does the trick for me. Just watch where you spray it.
I have found that some chemicals degrade concrete. May depend on how the concrete was formulated. Some people use a propane weed burner - like a flame thrower attached to a string trimmer shaft. Don't know what that does to concrete though. Certainly would not be good for asphalt.
I’ve noticed the same thing. I’m use to spraying them a couple times a month and finally realized I’m not really fixing the problem. The driveway is 30 years old and originally only 1x pieces of wood were used as expansion joints. They have shrunk and a good bit of dirt and debris have filled the gaps giving weeds a nice strip to party in. It looks terrible.

So far I think my plan is to remove all of the wood in the joints, scrape out as much dirt as possible, refill with sand to about 1/2” from the surface then caulk with some kind of self-leveler sealer. It would probably be best to pressure wash the entire driveway before doing this. I live in Houston.

Not sure how to attach a photo to this post from my phone but I’d share if can figure it out.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

guppyguy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:41 pm
I’ve noticed the same thing. I’m use to spraying them a couple times a month and finally realized I’m not really fixing the problem. The driveway is 30 years old and originally only 1x pieces of wood were used as expansion joints. They have shrunk and a good bit of dirt and debris have filled the gaps giving weeds a nice strip to party in. It looks terrible.

So far I think my plan is to remove all of the wood in the joints, scrape out as much dirt as possible, refill with sand to about 1/2” from the surface then caulk with some kind of self-leveler sealer. It would probably be best to pressure wash the entire driveway before doing this. I live in Houston.

Not sure how to attach a photo to this post from my phone but I’d share if can figure it out.
you might want to consider:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crack-Stix- ... 658275-_-N
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:56 pm

Have you tried it?
Soon2BXProgrammer

guppyguy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:19 pm

Have you tried it?
A family member has
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Broken Man 1999

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:53 pm

Have you tried it?
A family member has
How did they melt it?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
howard71

Post by howard71 »

I spray along the seams with roundup maybe 2 or 3 times a year (Florida). Hard to imagine that would degrade the concrete but I guess you never know. I've been developing some long cracks in my driveway and I tend to think that is just a part of the ground settling.
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

I don’t think it degrades as much acts as a sealer so that the coloring remains the same as the surrounding concrete darkens from the elements. Whiskey has the same effect (don’t ask me how I know) :happy
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

How about polymeric joint sand?, it's what the landscaper used on my patio. You wet it down after filling the seam with the sand, it forms a hard filler blocking weeds and such. It worked for maybe 5 years before a few weeds worked their way thru. https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-Per ... /202070568
Regards | Bob
Soon2BXProgrammer

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:55 pm

Have you tried it?
A family member has
How did they melt it?

Broken Man 1999
propane torch for soldering (which they had) but they said that if your doing a big project they might consider buying a cane torch:
https://crackstix.com/products/csx-900-torch-extender
they are stubborn though.
Broken Man 1999

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:43 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:55 pm

Have you tried it?
A family member has
How did they melt it?

Broken Man 1999
propane torch for soldering (which they had) but they said that if your doing a big project they might consider buying a cane torch:
https://crackstix.com/products/csx-900-torch-extender
they are stubborn though.
Thanks!

I would need pretty much the entire coil, so a better torch would make things easier.

Broken Man 1999
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

Padlin wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:19 pm How about polymeric joint sand?, it's what the landscaper used on my patio. You wet it down after filling the seam with the sand, it forms a hard filler blocking weeds and such. It worked for maybe 5 years before a few weeds worked their way thru. https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-Per ... /202070568
Does it still allow the joint to move with temperature changes or is it rigid?
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

I'd have to "guess" it has some flex to it. We're in pothole country so freeze and thaws would have destroyed it, but you'd have to check with Sakrete or whoever makes the brand you can find.
Regards | Bob
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

This is the stuff you want if you are trying to seal expansion joints. I'd advise against polymeric sand unless you have a paver driveway.

https://retail.usa.sika.com/en/products ... -sealant-0

I'd personally only bother sealing any joints that are up against your house. If you're up for a project though then do every joint, but I'd just spray weed killer and/or flip your weed wacker on its side and hack at them every couple of weeks. Takes 5 minutes.
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:51 pm This is the stuff you want if you are trying to seal expansion joints. I'd advise against polymeric sand unless you have a paver driveway.

I'd personally only bother sealing any joints that are up against your house. If you're up for a project though then do every joint, but I'd just spray weed killer and/or flip your weed wacker on its side and hack at them every couple of weeks. Takes 5 minutes.
Yeah I’ve got a couple hundred feet of concrete joints so it would be quite a chore to caulk to whole thing.

I’m wondering if I should just dig out some of the obvious dirt and fill with salt and sand?
Soon2BXProgrammer

guppyguy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:28 pm
mnsportsgeek wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:51 pm This is the stuff you want if you are trying to seal expansion joints. I'd advise against polymeric sand unless you have a paver driveway.

Yeah I’ve got a couple hundred feet of concrete joints so it would be quite a chore to caulk to whole thing.

I’m wondering if I should just dig out some of the obvious dirt and fill with salt and sand?
pressure wash the joint, it is easiest way to clean.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

howard71 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:34 pm I spray along the seams with roundup maybe 2 or 3 times a year (Florida). Hard to imagine that would degrade the concrete but I guess you never know. I've been developing some long cracks in my driveway and I tend to think that is just a part of the ground settling.
It’s surprising to me that Roundup is legal. We have private wells in our town and Roundup is really frowned upon.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

For the weeds spraying a mixture of vinegar with a little dish soap works well. Add a 16th part salt to prevent re-emergence. To close space between the driveway and road, drop by your county/city pothole warriors with a box for some cold patch and stuff it in tightly with the edge of a shovel. For the expansion joints after they are cleaned out and degreased with soapy water, use expansion joint sealer.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm
howard71 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:34 pm I spray along the seams with roundup maybe 2 or 3 times a year (Florida). Hard to imagine that would degrade the concrete but I guess you never know. I've been developing some long cracks in my driveway and I tend to think that is just a part of the ground settling.
It’s surprising to me that Roundup is legal. We have private wells in our town and Roundup is really frowned upon.
Well if it wasn't, people would go back to using used motor oil. Which works really really well..... Guess it's a case of pick your poison.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

guppyguy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:50 pm Anybody re-seal or clean out or treat or whatever the expansion gaps in their driveway (concrete) so that weeds aren't coming up every other week?

No, never. I mow them down every time that I mow my lawn. Which is about every week or so.

Works great.

No issues or concerns here.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Sometimes driveway weeds surprise you.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

guppyguy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:50 pm Anybody re-seal or clean out or treat or whatever the expansion gaps in their driveway (concrete) so that weeds aren't coming up every other week?
Occasionally spray with generic "gycosophate" (roundup) several times per year at most.
Available at local farm supply store.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Tubes wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:40 am Sometimes driveway weeds surprise you.
That's really nice/very pretty.
I'd try not to drive over them.
j :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Driveway Vinca!

Nice!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-05-26/
Chhabria had suggested at a hearing last week that Roundup include on its label a reference to a 2015 finding by the cancer research arm of the World Health Organization that glyphosate is “probably carcinogenic to humans.”
I don’t see the risk/reward proposition in dealing with weeds vs cancer. I mean, weeds fer crying out loud!
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:05 am Driveway Vinca!

Nice!
They were volunteers from last year's planting just off the edge of the driveway. Turns out these are tough plants! We *did* drive over them a few times before I realized they were not weeds. Since then, we've been able to enjoy them which takes the pain out of realizing I have an expensive driveway replacement coming in my near future. This broken section was due to root uplift from a now deceased tree.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

For gaps in the driveway, I use self leveling silicone sealant. It prevents the weeds from growing in the cracks. I don’t like to use round up because of health concerns. I have also used 20% acetic acid, salt, soap mixture to kill weeds. It works like round up initially but has to be reapplied more frequently.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

... Some people use a propane weed burner - like a flame thrower attached to a string trimmer shaft. Don't know what that does to concrete though. Certainly would not be good for asphalt.
A weed burner can be had for $30-35 at Harbor Freight.

I get that much worth of enjoyment out of playing with the thing every time I light it off.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
windaar

Post by windaar »

Boiling water works 100% and is chemical free. I learned about this in the 1970s. Boil a pot of water and gently pour. It turns the weeds bright green and they're gone in a few days.
Nobody knows nothing.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

If the joints are large enough, pressure washing in the joints works well to blow out the dirt, etc.
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:34 am If the joints are large enough, pressure washing in the joints works well to blow out the dirt, etc.
Yeah I think that's my next step, I've got enough dirt in the gaps to practically plant a garden. Then I was thinking of pulling out the boards put between the slabs that are just floating and fill the gap up to 1/2 from the top with all purpose sand.
PVW

Post by PVW »

Several of the joints in my concrete drive way have expanded to over 1 inch wide. I only have trouble with weeds in the joints that have filled with dirt. I guess the others are too deep to sprout weeds.

I also have a paver stone walkway and patio that are beyond repair with many gaps and some crumbling pavers. I use roundup or similar to kill the weeds about once a month. To help prevent weeds between the pavers, I use the pre emergent herbicide Preen (treflan). Regular application of Preen is pretty effective, but regularity is the key - I usually only remember to apply it when I see weeds growing, then it's too late.
old medic

Post by old medic »

tetractys wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 pm For the weeds spraying a mixture of vinegar with a little dish soap works well. Add a 16th part salt to prevent re-emergence.

Our favorite... Vinegar, Dawn Dish soap and Epson's Salt... but if your in a freeze area you should try and seal it up...
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

delete
Last edited by kimura king on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

For killing weeds, we prefer hot water as it takes effect a lot faster than roundup (and isn't carcinogenic). A coffee percolator works fine, and is easy to pour...

(just don't splash or spill any on yourself)
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

Another option:
https://trim-a-slab.com/shop/

A little pricey but much faster installation (no caulk or blow torch). My neighbor used it on his side-walk last year and it looks pretty good.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Follow my instructions or don’t, it won’t really matter to me, but I am a PE and I have been in the highway business for almost 50 years, with the last 30 in preventive highway maintenance.
Do not put incompressible material in expansion joints, period. Expansion joints are are meant to relieve the expansion of Portland cement concrete pavement (or sidewalks) due to changes in temperature. This is more important in areas where the temperature changes are higher (northern 48 states), but it still applies in the south.
The best way to maintain expansion joints in Portland cement concrete pavement is to keep them sealed to prevent water intrusion. Once an expansion joint fails, clean it out, either by mechanical means or by compressed air, and reseal the joint. The walls of the joint need to be clean and dry. If the joint is too deep, more than an inch, use a backer rod to save sealant material. Both silicone and asphaltic sealers will work, but silicone (more expensive) will last longer.
Take a look at this website that speaks to blow ups:
https://pavementinteractive.org/referen ... es/blowup/
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

eddot98 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:40 pm Follow my instructions or don’t, it won’t really matter to me, but I am a PE and I have been in the highway business for almost 50 years, with the last 30 in preventive highway maintenance.
Do not put incompressible material in expansion joints, period. Expansion joints are are meant to relieve the expansion of Portland cement concrete pavement (or sidewalks) due to changes in temperature. This is more important in areas where the temperature changes are higher (northern 48 states), but it still applies in the south.
The best way to maintain expansion joints in Portland cement concrete pavement is to keep them sealed to prevent water intrusion. Once an expansion joint fails, clean it out, either by mechanical means or by compressed air, and reseal the joint. The walls of the joint need to be clean and dry. If the joint is too deep, more than an inch, use a backer rod to save sealant material. Both silicone and asphaltic sealers will work, but silicone (more expensive) will last longer.
Makes sense, so which silicone based sealant/brand should a home owner use? Caulk or heat application or compression? Even though my driveway is in southern TX and isn't exposed to as much freeze/thaw the amount of rain that infiltrates the joints is significant.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Just hit all my weeds with Roundup.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

guppyguy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:24 pm
eddot98 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:40 pm Follow my instructions or don’t, it won’t really matter to me, but I am a PE and I have been in the highway business for almost 50 years, with the last 30 in preventive highway maintenance.
Makes sense, so which silicone based sealant/brand should a home owner use? Caulk or heat application or compression? Even though my driveway is in southern TX and isn't exposed to as much freeze/thaw the amount of rain that infiltrates the joints is significant.
This would be the ultimate, but not really a homeowner’s type of installation. If you hire a competent professional to follow the guidelines in this publication and use this product, you won’t have to do it again for 10 years or more.
https://www.dow.com/content/dam/dcc/doc ... -guide.pdf

In my job, we would bid contracts for miles of concrete pavement at a time, so I’m not very familiar with homeowner type products (and I don’t have a concrete driveway), but a quick search came up with this product that, if properly installed, could do the trick:
https://usa.sika.com/en/construction/ad ... 28-ns.html
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Buy some Sikaflex 29 fl. oz. Self-Leveling Sealant @ local Big Box.

Put backer rod in each crack first then install sealant, this is sold right next to the Sikaflex.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

I dont believe rpund up does much to prevent grass and weeds. It is good at killing what is there, but you will need to reapply frequently. There is a chemicsl called Ground Clear. This keeps things from growing for a year (supposedly). I think 6 months is more realistic. Preen or pre-emergents should also help once you killed what is there.

Ive had bad luck with weed burners and salt too.
Last edited by suemarkp on Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I’ve had success putting down salt and spraying with Dawn/water combo.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀