Is south Myrtle Beach safe (near airport)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
beserker

Is south Myrtle Beach safe (near airport)?

Post by beserker »

Like everyone who were cooped up and wants to get out, I'm planning a beach trip down to Clearwater, Florida for 3 nights from Virginia. On the way back, I was able to find 3 nights via award stay using Marriott Points in south Myrtle Beach Ocean Front near the airport (beach hotel prices are a bit too expensive this year), Residence Inn on 26th S. This morning as I was finding things to do, first thing that shows up says Myrtle Beach is 3rd dangerous place in US. But investigating more, it seems to be focused on certain places of Myrtle Beach, similar to Washington DC. Is that area generally safe?

There is also 3 award nights available in Amelia Island, Fl on the same dates, although it is not beach front nor has a kitchen (which would had been nice). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
PSM

Re: Is south Myrtle Beach safe (near airport)?

Post by PSM »

I think you would find that a stay around the Charleston SC area would be much more interesting than south Myrtle Beach. There are probably some Marriott properties around Mt Pleasant; I think there is a Residence Inn on Daniel Island; the beach is nearby on Isle of Palms or Sullivan’s Island; the history and dining of downtown Charleston is fun…
SebastianIII

Post by SebastianIII »

You should be fine, i would read the online reviews of your property, also, is it a "direct ocean front" or what they call "Ocean View"??, the later which mean on side of building. Its not going to be like normal Marriott Properties. You will need a car to get around. The rates are super high this year and normally 1/3 in a normal year. This is a nice place although its in North Myrtle Beach. https://www.bflanding.com/
Man looks in the abyss, there’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.
fusspot

Post by fusspot »

Go with Murrells Inlet all day.
Topic Author
beserker

Post by beserker »

Looks like I may be over concerned. But I would seriously consider other suggestions. The hotel seems to be in chaos, it seems to be either great, or awful. Many hotels are lacking staffs, which would result in unclean rooms, lacks of supplies, etc. I am going to continue to look and this would remain as a backup option. I will also research on some of the locations you guys have suggested. Thank you.
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

beserker wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:43 am This morning as I was finding things to do, first thing that shows up says Myrtle Beach is 3rd dangerous place in US.
Crime rate is high due to the Population being low and all the tourists. Pulling numbers out the air. Population is 10,000 full time but we have over 1,000,000 tourists a year.

If we have one murder it is the equivalent of somewhere Like LA having 400-500 murders....

N. Myrtle beach is quieter and safer. Barefoot landing is 20 minutes from the airport and is awesome.

Good Luck,

Wally
hudson

Post by hudson »

beserker wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:07 pm Looks like I may be over concerned. But I would seriously consider other suggestions. The hotel seems to be in chaos, it seems to be either great, or awful. Many hotels are lacking staffs, which would result in unclean rooms, lacks of supplies, etc. I am going to continue to look and this would remain as a backup option. I will also research on some of the locations you guys have suggested. Thank you.
I don't have any concerns over the Myrtle Beach area or anywhere on the SC/NC beaches.
I was in the area recently. We were scheduled to get into our rental house at 4 pm. It wasn't ready until 6 pm, but it was perfect at 6. Lines were long at my favorite eating place, but all was well. We got to pick up a cold drink on the honor system; waiting was in the shade. The people everywhere were upbeat and friendly.
My favorite beach in the area doesn't have hotels or high rises on the "island." You just rent a house.
Bottom line: I've been visiting the area at least once a year since the mid 50s, all is well.